IL IX - The Warbringers (thread 1)

Skalpynock

• 3 weeks later...

I never specified which Monday...

So, with this wall of text, I wanted to clarify where I was going with this legion's identity. The general idea is pre-soviet eastern Europe, which is a pretty vague and vast subject. They have a certain tsaric nobility in them, a disdain for legions whose cultures they regard as "barbarians", failing to see that they take about as much of their homeworld's culture as the Space Wolves, White Scars or Ultramarines (who don't exist here, I know). Case in point: the name of their ranks hereunder, as well as none of their special units having a Gothic name. Said culture draws heavily from Kievan Rus, the Russia of Peter the Great, and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. They wear no bear-skins or bone trinkets, but hermine and baroque flourishes. The Terrans, in comparison, were inspired by the more ruthless Daco-Thracians and late XXth century Yugoslavs. Tactically, they are very Napoleonic, using human wave and gun-carriages vanguarding an even greater tide of human auxilia.

Units and Formations structure within the legion

Legion Command Hierarchy

The Ninth legion, once it was reunited with its primarch, was restructured not on the model of their sire's hosts, but rather on the long-lost aristocracy of ancient Strela, a return to a more noble past. Directly under the primarch stood a council of six hand-picked commanders, the Pernach, to advise and inform Darzalas on the affairs of the Legion and campaigns in progress. The highest standard rank was the Knyaz, roughly analog to the Terran-standard Lord Commander, leading a Principate. Beneath them served Boyars who led Marches, to whom fealty was sworn by Voiavodes – centurions by the Terran standard. Oftentimes two officers of equal rank assigned to the same campaign would clash, for while their hierarchical position were equivalent, none would accept to defer to the other, wishing to uphold their personal honour in the absence of explicit order. These quarrels would be solved not by duelling, but by endless comparisons of lineage, stateholding, titles and achievements.

The legion's Orders however operated on a different aristocracy. The Bogatyrs used only four formal levels, which were not relevant on the individual's position in the wider legion, at least officially. These were the High-Master, singular leader of the fraternity who invariably had a seat in the Pernach; under him were Masters, who could induct and advise, but were ultimately of little importance in the hierarchy of the Order. The main body of the Bogatyrs were Men-at-Arms, regardless of whether they were highly reputed knyazi or lowly seargents – a lack of distinction that was mostly theoretical as official rank would seldom remain unnoticed. Finally Squires were newly-induced members who had not yet surpassed themselves, but showed promising enough to be granted the azure heraldry.

The hierarchy of the Asklepians was comparatively complex, an intricate system of merit, individual actions, relation with non-Astartes personel, and informal titles. These were due to a cultural blend of Darzalan and Selenite gene-wrights, legion apothecaries, and the influence of the XI and XVII legions even after reunion with their respective lords. What is understood is that the Atrifos was the highest denomination, and served as the primarch's equerry. Other titles included Kalapsi, Syanocron, Isom-Octal and Adexin. These bore the purple of the original medicants of Darzalas, who raised the Primarch, the fraternity of Asklepias, and were bound by a code known as the Iso-cratic oath.

Owing to their aristocratic background, heraldry formed an integral part of the Warbringers structure, to levels of importance and complexity only matched by the Knightly Houses in matters of imperial armed forces. The white plate was invariably adorned by a golden right arm, the most commonly given explanation being that of the Astartes brightness leading the purity of mankind. The black pauldron rims and adormnements are of an unknown meaning, but assumed to hold one to the members of the legion. Although the legion's emblem –two crossed swords pointing downwards– can be thought to represent the Warbringers' nature as great swordsmen, there is no evidence to this, from their preference of gun-line warfare to Darzalas himself wielding a mace rather than a sword. Rather, it is a symbol of war in general, and the wars of Strelan unity in particular. The fact that they point downward is not innocuous: the IXth fights to protect humanity, not to sate its own bloodthirst. A sizeable amount warriors chose to add decorative shields upon their armour, to display the arms of their birth province, serving as additional identifiers. Cloaks, although not as prevalent as the XII legion leg-skirts, were a staple of officer uniform, bearing many adornments of personal signficance. Their main color is an indicator of the individual's position within the legion: white for line officers, azure for members of the Bogatyr order, sable for those of the Tryzub guard, and purpure for Asklepians.

Veterancy was marked by spreading the gold to either the helm or the left pauldron, and otherr segments of the armour, making senior members of the Bogatyrs sometimes mistakeable for Wardens of Light. Conversely, an extension of the black scheme was a sign of dishonour, these legionnaires who had utterly failed their legion and primarch covering their entire right arm, and adorning the Bar Sinister of bastard sons.

Might we be seeing Hussars and Dragoons with the Warbringers I wonder ?

As auxilia, there are the Zhar Hussars and the Lechska Fusiliers to fullfil these role. The legion itself, in terms of special units, will get Streltsy, Tryzub Shield-terminators, and either the aforementioned Bogatyr champions, or, as you suggested, (jet)bike Dragoons. I'm getting more and more warmed to the latter, but the former is already firmly established in legion culture.

As auxilia, there are the Zhar Hussars and the Lechska Fusiliers to fullfil these role. The legion itself, in terms of special units, will get Streltsy, Tryzub Shield-terminators, and either the aforementioned Bogatyr champions, or, as you suggested, (jet)bike Dragoons. I'm getting more and more warmed to the latter, but the former is already firmly established in legion culture.

I like the idea of jetbike dragoons (I've been trying to find a way of doing this for my Iron Warriors). What's always stumped me though is how to create a simple dismount rule (since I believe Dragoons were mounted infantry before being cavalry)

I don't think the Excertus Imperialis would have access to such advanced pieces of tech. Mounted on standard horses (or camels, or robots, or any adequate mount), as a fastt attack choice...mh, sounds like we could make a Rough Riders provenance.

I like the idea of jetbike dragoons (I've been trying to find a way of doing this for my Iron Warriors). What's always stumped me though is how to create a simple dismount rule (since I believe Dragoons were mounted infantry before being cavalry)

The problem is that Dragoons aren't around anymore because they evolved into/were replaced by Mechanized Infantry. Packing a squad of men into a tireless vehicle that packs it's own weaponry while providing protection for it's occupants is simply far more practical in a battle than individual mounts (living or mechanical) that the rider needs to dismount before they can engage the enemy.

Space Marine Bikers are the exception given that they don't need to dismount their bikes to attack, thanks to their nifty handlebar-mounted bolters, therefore circumventing the dismount-then-shoot problem, so perhaps your Dragoons could be some kind of special Biker Squadron? Maybe a 10-man (as in 5 bikes) squad of Assault Bikes, to stick with the historical role of Dragoons as mobile fire support? Or perhaps the Dragoons are normal footsoldiers but with a permenantly-attached transport like Tau Pathfinders with their Devilfish, maybe some kind of Land Speeder variant, like a Vengeance-sized LS Storm that can carry power armoured brothers and allows them to shoot out of it like a IG Chimera or DE Raider?

The problem is that Dragoons aren't around anymore because they evolved into/were replaced by Mechanized Infantry. Packing a squad of men into a tireless vehicle that packs it's own weaponry while providing protection for it's occupants is simply far more practical in a battle than individual mounts (living or mechanical) that the rider needs to dismount before they can engage the enemy.

Space Marine Bikers are the exception given that they don't need to dismount their bikes to attack, thanks to their nifty handlebar-mounted bolters, therefore circumventing the dismount-then-shoot problem, so perhaps your Dragoons could be some kind of special Biker Squadron? Maybe a 10-man (as in 5 bikes) squad of Assault Bikes, to stick with the historical role of Dragoons as mobile fire support? Or perhaps the Dragoons are normal footsoldiers but with a permenantly-attached transport like Tau Pathfinders with their Devilfish, maybe some kind of Land Speeder variant, like a Vengeance-sized LS Storm that can carry power armoured brothers and allows them to shoot out of it like a IG Chimera or DE Raider?

Say that to Death korps death riders,eldar jetbikes, ork bikers,dark eldar jetbikes and space wolf wolf riders. Dragoons are used ALOT in 40K.

Say that to Death korps death riders,eldar jetbikes, ork bikers,dark eldar jetbikes and space wolf wolf riders. Dragoons are used ALOT in 40K.
All of whom can shoot on the move, unlike historical Dragoons, and the DK Death Riders and SW Thunderwolf Riders are Melee-orientated cavalry rather than ranged.

What I'm trying to say is that making a unit of mounted riders that has to dismount their bikes/horses/whatever before they can shoot just seems so unnecessary given that you could easily circumvent the entire thing with a unit of Bikers or mounting a Tac Squad in a Rhino.

All of whom can shoot on the move, unlike historical Dragoons, and the DK Death Riders and SW Thunderwolf Riders are Melee-orientated cavalry rather than ranged.

What I'm trying to say is that making a unit of mounted riders that has to dismount their bikes/horses/whatever before they can shoot just seems so unnecessary given that you could easily circumvent the entire thing with a unit of Bikers or mounting a Tac Squad in a Rhino.

Some may argue it's not necessary to go into close combat when you have proper distance weapons and stuff. But rule of cool wins out. And Dragoons that could dismount could offer nice mechanisms... Or else it might just be me that's weird like that :-P

Now, some illustrations to clarify the last fluff-wall:

WB Markiv

Veteran-Miecznik (sergeant) Markiv, IIIrd Principate, 37th Sotnaia. Note blue cloak, distincive of indoctrination in the Bogatyr order as a Squire.

WB Asaev

64th Boyar Asaev, VI Principate, man-at-arms of the Bogatyrs. Note Strelian-style Aquila on left shoulder, and rank-distinctive golden faceplate.

WB Holzer

Valsh Holzer, Knyaz of the IXth Principate, and Master-Bogatyr.

Syanocron Miha Taleko

Syanocron Miha Taleko, apothecary attached to the 58th Sotnaia. Note purpure cloak of the Asklepian Order, and Helix Genesis belt-pendant.

WB Unknown

Unknown censured legionary. His Mark IV plate has been stripped of all gold adornment, and its left arm has been painted black, a marking originally meaning illegitimate sons in ancient Strelian culture.

WB Juvan Verkovic

Legionary Juvan Verković, Solar unification era. At the time, the IXth legion, going by the moniker "Steel Guard", harboured the same colours as Panslavjac armoured batalions.

Actually, this was just an attempt to out-bling the Wardens of Light.

Edited by Skalpynock

Wait, is the Warbringers legion symbol meant to be on the right shoulder pad?

Honestly, I have no idea. Never understood where insignas were meant to be put.

Legion heraldry goes on legionaries left shoulder ( facing the enemy in a firing line) and unit/personal heraldry goes on the right shoulder.

Wait, is the Warbringers legion symbol meant to be on the right shoulder pad?

Honestly, I have no idea. Never understood where insignas were meant to be put.

Legion heraldry goes on legionaries left shoulder ( facing the enemy in a firing line) and unit/personal heraldry goes on the right shoulder.

So I goofed hard. See Void Eagles thread for additional goofing.

Edited by Skalpynock

• 1 month later...

Origins: A Tide of Steel

The original recruits of what would become the Ninth Legion were mustered from the various bellicose city-states of Pansylvania, a loose and unstable confederacy of merc-families and fortified conurbations lodged between the powerful Terawatt Clans and the states of Europa. A region prone to conflict even during the millennia prior to Old Night, its inhabitants were united in the belief that their race had been created for war by the gods themselves. When the Emperor and his Thunder Warriors came to the Pansylvanians, he was met by volleys of fire from antiquated weapons and iron discipline, much like what he would later see from the Ironsides of Albia. However, unlike the Albians, the Pansylvanians complied quickly once they realized that they were fighting War incarnate. It was upon the ruins of the White Fortress that the council of warlords was assembled before the Emperor, and in this bleak display they all swore allegiance, some with reluctance, most with eagerness, but all on their own accord. When the Imperium sought recruits for the Legiones Astartes project, the warriors of Pansylvania heartily gave their child soldiers, for the opportunity to be forged for war was too great to pass. In time, additional recruits would be gathered from Jermanic and Urshine stock, owing to shared cultural ancestry. Early documentation attests that the IXth legion's geneseed put terrible strain on the subject. Whether this was a defect, or a deliberate measure designed to weed out the weaker elements from the proto-Legio, is left to speculation. Despite this apparent biological elitism, many survived the rough treatment of implantation, furthering the Pansylvanian belief that they had been created as warriors.

This in turn was distilled in the legion as purposeful and unbreakable discipline in battle, exemplified by its earliest recorded battle: the destruction of the Valerian Neanthropes from the Oxitanian hive. For millenia a bastion of forbidden knowledge, the single hive of the pseudo-region of Oxitania hosted many bright alchemysts, flesh-shapers, and gene-wrights. Yet they refused to bow to the nascent Imperium; those few diplomats that returned had been subjected to unspeakable experiments. In the eyes of the Emperor, such defiance would not go unanswered. War was declared. From the arcologies came an army of augmented tech-barbarians in partial power armour. Against them walked four companies of the newborn IXth, the two forces roughly matched in numbers and materiel. But the Neanthropes, for all their augmentations, fought as a disorganised horde, each one rampaging in his way. In contrast, the Astartes marched in line, never once breaking formation even at the peak of the battle. Though they may have been stronger or quicker, the Valerians were quickly beat by superior discipline and coordination, a veritable tide of steel and ceramite crashing against them. In the aftermath of the battle, a macabre scene showed the corpses of the enemy commanders crucified as a last display of superiority by the Ninth. The Hive was subsequently sacked, its esoteric savants enslaved, and its arcologies left to burn. Such was the price for those who would not comply.

Edited by Skalpynock

Two things:

"In contract, the Astartes marched in line, never once breaking formation even at the peak of the battle." Contract or contrast?

"Such was the prize for those who would not comply." Prize or price?

Sooo, I had some free time and Gwalchavads coat was drying so I decided to make a head. A head, what hopefully will become Kozja in the future....if you will ever finish this sketch of yours^^

Here's the result:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/2/3/776183-Kozja%20-%20Primarch%20of%20the%20Warbringers.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/2/3/776184-Kozja%20-%20Primarch%20of%20the%20Warbringers.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/2/3/776185-Kozja%20-%20Primarch%20of%20the%20Warbringers.jpg

His hair and goatee is a bit longer as in your sketch, but after it came out that way, I really liked it. If I shorten it, he will most probably look like Iron Man, uhm...I mean Alexandros^^

What dou you think?