IL IX - The Warbringers (thread 1)

Skalpynock

Additional stuff about the Star Lords' appearance:

As decreed in the Zvaigzde Valdovas accords drawn up by kozja darzalas, the Star Lords repainted their armour in the white and gold of the warbringers legion. However, they added to their uniform a greatcoat, coloured in the patterns of their respective Trade Companies - this greatcoat would become their symbol within the suzerainty and beyond.

Skal, do I assume Kozja is in command during The Battle of the Forge? If so, I need to run some ideas past you

He still is, I've tried to collate all the mess of information regarding that battle on the wiki. That's what it's for, quick access to information disseminated in 8 pages of a thread, revised twice over the course of the thread.

Thorn, right before you posted that I've been thinking about how the Asklepians and Bogatyrs wore purple and blue coats respectively, and pictured a Valdova with a red coat, which seems pretty fitting. The Voitely scheme works well enough with a variety of coat colors. I may add more divisions within the legion to use grey, brown, and black coats. That black will have a distinct meaning from that painted on the armour of outcasts.

Kozja is disgusted to have to use exterminatus, in the same way he eschews Destroyer squads in his legion.

Unrelated, graphical inload.

SteelGuard

Idealized iconography of a Steel Guard legionary, early great crusade.

Edited by Skalpynock

• 1 month later...

[The New Orders, section I]

Traditionally, the Warbringers legion was comprised of two brotherhoods, the Asklepians and the Bogatyrs. The founding of the Suzerainty however would see the birth of several more of these warrior orders, as Astartes replacement for various offices of the old Imperium.

â‹…Zvaigzde Valdovas, the Star Lords: originating from elements of the legion ordered to secure trade routes, they eventually formed into their own semi-renegade Trade Companies, before being reintegrated into the Warbringers proper by decree of the Quadriumvirate. They bear red cloaks and the heraldry of the Trade Companies. Nominal leader: Knyaz Flash Vallant.

â‹…Ksernaja Gvardyi, the Black Guards: a formation of both the Warbringers and the White Guard, the Blackguards oversaw the quelling of rebellions within the Suzerainty's territory. They were famously responsible for their part in the Cull of the Blackened Hosts, where defectors to both Terra and Madrigal were relentlessly purged. Their armour is entirely blackened, save for golden trims. Nominal leader: Opryshchnik Pjotr Dijevas.

â‹…Grupa Stalnnoje, the Steel Troops: despite their pretense of glory, nobility, and (post-)humanity, the Warbringers were still a legion, born to bring ruin; the Steel Troops were not of Darzalan culture, but raised with Vostalan principles. They were architects of destruction, siege-makers and ordinance-bearers, automasters and praevians. They bore grey coats and the iron axes of Vostala. Nominal leader: KomOrd Mykhal Vorsholev.

Quadriumvirate? Kozja, Jade, Nomus... I'm missing one

I'm really liking where the warbringers are going I must say

Edited by Lord Thørn

Heliosa-79, Matriarch of the Selenar, as of that story I wrote.

And yeah, where Inferno inspired the less organised legions with the Wolves hierarchy, the sheer byzantinity of the Thousand Sons' was what caught my fancy.

Heliosa-79, Matriarch of the Selenar, as of that story I wrote.

And yeah, where Inferno inspired the less organised legions with the Wolves hierarchy, the sheer byzantinity of the Thousand Sons' was what caught my fancy.

Then there's me with my organization inspiring Forgeworld :D

Kelborn&Thørn: I have no idea what you're talking about(looks away snootily) ;)

Skalpy, are there any particular units the Warbringers would place in the vanguard of a planetary assault like the early stages of the battle of the Forge? Or any particular method they would usz to choose the vanguard units like the SoH use lots?

The Streltsy wouldn't be on the vanguard. The first line of a Warbringers assault is mostly Terminators, rhino-mounted Tactical and TacSup squads, predators/vindicators and bike-dragoons. The second line is heavier weaponry such as HeavSup squads, Streltsy, Land's Raiders, and such. Behind them are both the Novadeka and artillery, where the Steel Troops can have fun.

[The Strelian Orders, section 0]

Asklepians: the most ancient of those orders, pre-dating even the Wars of Unity on Terra, the Asklepians were originally a brotherhood of military physicians in Darzalas. It was among them that Kozja was raised. With the coming of the Emperor, it became an extension of the legion's Apothecarion, and home to experiments that would be censured by the Vizenko prosecution, where it was formally dissolved; the Insurrection would see it rise again. The Asklepians bear purple adornments and arcane med-glyphs. Nominal leader: Atrefos Vlem Kelasor.

Bogatyry: named after the knightly heroes of ancient Strela, the Bogatyrs are a lodge of champions. These warriors seek to prove themselves to both their peers, their superiors, and themselves. Eschewing the legion's habitual long-range warfare, they detach from the line with blade and bludgeon, seeking the most worthy foe to claim for themselves. The blue-cloaked knights of the Bogatyrs are in a constant state of self-doubt and a quest to set example. Most of these are officers, and to fail themselves would be to fail their men, and in turn their legion. Nominal leader: Grand Maistre Perkenas.

BTW Thorn, does Vallant have an order-specific title beyond being a Knyaz?

Possibly, but I'm not too sure what kind of thing it should be... of course his position is only that of a military leader - he has no status above the trade companies in regards to their other duties.

Reading that blurb about the bogatyrs made me think that vallant may have been one at some stage, but was expulsed from the order because he didn't show the right level of seriousness

Ok, so any specific companies/marches who hold pride/favoured place in Orbital assaults? Seeing as the Warbringers seem rather like the EC in their outlook, am I right in thinking that the "honour" of the vanguard would go to the most senior companes within a chapter? So in any given chapter, the 1st company would get the honour of the vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, seeing the development of new "orders" for the warbringers is interesting - I feel however that after the green and brown orders, you should stop there: it makes 7 orders already (iirc), more would just get confusing

Also, how do the dark angels's wings work in game? I think the different "orders" could be done in a similar way.

Finally (for the moment) can the steel legion and warriors of peace join some (or all) of these orders? Do they get their own? For the moment, the other legions don't seem completely meshed with the suzerainty, apart from trying to create the Genesis legion

Never thought of inter legion shenanigans. Always imagined them to acting seperately while forming the Suzerainty or that each of them has their part to deal with.

Steel Legion would rather feel comfortable with their own Legion, I guess.

We're currently discussing to implement the DAs Hexagramaton structure into the Steel Legion while adapting it.

Could be a commonality to work upon.

Seven is a good number, but 6 is better, as it's that of the Pernach, Kozja's advisory council. The sapper corps will be folded into the Grupa Stalnnoje, while the Tarch Strelskaja will be written upon. As for the name, I agree order isn't great, brotherhood is overdone, I'll go with Fellowship.

I had thoughts that the Asklepian fellowship would open itself to non-Warbringers when reformed in the Suzerainty, under Selenar pressure. I wanted to write a story about a Steel Legion recently intronized (ahah) in the Asklepians being very confused by the sheer amount of needless complexity these guys operate on.

• 1 month later...

"I was there, the day Oxitania bowed to the Thunderhead Warlord of the Urals. I saw the Valerian Hive burn, the Panslaviaks growling in their excuse for a language as they crucified our men and set fire to our women. I still see our golden cross broken by the feet of these ravagers from the East, proclaiming the empire of a mad son of Terrawatt. I remember the pastyze tasting fouler from that day on..."

SteelGuard