Best melee character build?

Biggysmalls

Had a game today and was really underwhelmed with my chapter master. He took nearly 3 turns to deal with 5 tactical marines even with rage on the charge and a 5 man tac squad in support. He had a power sword and artificer armour. Nothing special really.

I really want a force to be reckoned with in

Melee for my character. My question is what is the best build for a combat monster company master or interrogator chappie. Not looking to use any named characters as I don't have any. Thanks

If you want to wreck in DA, you want a fist/hammer or the mace of redemption. Relic Blade is good on a TDA CM because your squad he accompanies will have plenty of ap2.

Belial has same 'gear' as a DW sergeant, so he should be easy to run. The 4++ isn't the most durable, but fleshbane w/ 4 attacks base can do some serious work.

Azrael has 6 attacks on the charge and benefits greatly from Zekes presence, with the book and possibility of rage. Both of them can be run from the characters in Dark Vengeance, so at the very least are cheap to acquire.

We don't have anything on the level of a gorgon chain master or draigo, but we have many more synergies to take advantage of, so the sum of a squad comes out better for the points usually

the mace of redemption is a house special for dealing with 3+ saves and down but if you know your up against a real hardened neck breaking guy with a 2+ a safer option is the power axe or a thunder hammer.

flat power swords are pretty useless ill be honest with you, they dont pack the punch of a relic blade, thunderhammer, or the mace and they lack the cost effectiveness of a maul or an axe

i run my company masters as such:

jump pack, thunder hammer, shroud of heroes, artificers: great for pairing with ravenwing bikes or assault marines because he can go with them at their pace and he can hit really really hard. hes a duelist with really good skills at challenging out anyone that is a squad character or a secondary HQ.

TDA, relic blade, storm shield, digital weapon, shroud of heroes: this one is expensive clocking it at 165ish points, this lets him weather the storm against pretty much anything and he can handle anyone that isnt another terminator adequately. he is a very durable duelist with a damage output over the course of multiple turns that rivals some really good hq choices out there (mainly because 2+,3++,5+++ is awesome). he works so well with terminators and he just sort of goes where he wants and hurts what he wants.

I think the point is the best melee character independent of "well, his squad will do this and that for him."  Belial with TH/SS is a challenge monkey from hell...another good choice is company master with 2+/4++, jump pack, digi-weaps, mace, and grav pistol.  You could go storm shield instead of the pistol, but you lose an attack and the grav shot to get that little bit better invul.  For termies to go from 5+ to 3+ is huge...going from 4+ to 3+ is good, but it's not huge.  I run my company master that way, but with just a boltpistol, and the digi weapons depend on points available.

Interrogator Chaplain with 2 power fists (theoretically possible), shroud of the Unforgiven, space marine bike.  Costs about as much as Belial, but 5 attacks on a charge if he can survive long enough.

hulk smash.

The power sword was a nightmare against his tacs. They either made their armour saves or as they were iron hands they made their 6+ FNP. I play chaos so I'm used to chewing through MEQ's pretty easy with my lord.

Looking the mace or TH/SS for my next game just to see how he gets on.

The power sword was a nightmare against his tacs. They either made their armour saves or ...

Err..what?

Power sword is AP3. Power armour marines dont get saves.

Perhaps that is why your captain struggled to kill anyone, he forgot to turn it on.

I never used the CM for the moment, but planning on using a Lion's Blade very soon. For me Artificier Armor/SS/Relic Blade are the way to go, and field him either with AM or Grav Devs in a pod. 

Ah, no worries, I just assumed with two armies you'd been playing longer!

If something seems weird, or not right (like a chapter master with power weapon failing to kill tactical marines) always check the rulebook to make sure you're doing it right :)

Interrogator-Chaplain + Bike + power fist + Shroud of Heroes. Toughness 5, 3+ armor save/4+ invulnerable save/2+ cover save if Jinking, and Feel No Pain. He can run around by himself and be a shotting gallery target with a 2+ Jink save, and can otherwise zip around and charge what he wishes to with near impugnity. He really works well as a vehicle assassin because, if deployed centrally, there is not a spot on the field of play he won't be ablet to charge on Turn 2, and nearly any shooting weapon that could kill him on Turn 1 he will have a 2+ Jink save against. But there is another option.

Techmarine + servo harness + bike + conversion field + Shroud of Heroes. He can do all of the above, but is less vulnverale to AP 3 weapons. He has one less Wound, WS, Initiative, and Ld, but he gains a 2+ armor save and the ability to shoot both a plasma cutter and a flamer. Attacks are the same due to the extra power fist of the servo harness, and due to swatting stuff with powerfists, the Initiative loss is a non-issue. If you have either one run around solo, so as to best make use of the Shorud of Heroes' Shrouded special rule, the Interrogator-Chaplain's Zealot rule is not used, but the Techamarine's Bolster Defenses rule still is. Also, either can still zip around to other units so as to use Zealot/Blessing of the Omnisaiah as needed, but Blessing of the Omnissiah still leaves the Techmarine Shrouded, while joining unit to make use of Zealot cancels Shrouded for the Interrogator-Chaplain. So, it is really only a loss of 1 Wound, 1 WS, and 1 LD for the Techmarine, but there is much to be gained, and for 25 points less! cool.png

The only problem is that a techmarine can't take Relics shabbadoo. So no shroud of heroes for him.

I didn't recall that.  Ditch the shroud and he's still pretty murderous in close combat. Now he just has to cruise around with another unit, like a RW Command Squad which he would compliment nicely.  Still works for the Interrogator-Chaplain well enough.

Builds that I wish to check out in my upcoming games, all are supposed to support a team of DWK:

Int Chaplin, TDA, Mace or Redemption

Int Chaplin, TDA, Fist

- you get a 2+ save, can deep strike along with the squad, grant rerolls to the team, the first build swaps out his storm bolter for 4 base S7 AP3 attacks. The second one is 5 points cheaper and gets you S8 AP2 but with one less attack and at I1 so it will depend on who you fight.

Company Master, Eye of the Unseen, Chain Fist, Lightning Claw

- slightly more expensive than above but with better abilities, 4 attacks base with either S8 AP2 or S4 Shred AP3 - damage over survivability compared to the next build

Company Master, Eye of the Unseen, Shroud of Heroes, Relic Blade, Storm Shield

- you get "only" 3 S6 AP3 attacks but you now are T5 as long as you keep your Knights together and feel no pain, so you can shrug off even a power fist to the face.

- you get "only" 3 S6 AP3 attacks but you now are T5 as long as you keep your Knights together and feel no pain, so you can shrug off even a power fist to the face*.

*except in a challenge... you're not in base contact with the knights, so no T5...which is why I pretty much ignore the option to throw a character in there.

Why aren't you B2B while in a challenge? If you're in a challenge and B2B with at least two other characters with the fortress of shields rule, I don't see why you can't get +1 toughness. Do you have a specific quote from the rulebook to back this up?

- you get "only" 3 S6 AP3 attacks but you now are T5 as long as you keep your Knights together and feel no pain, so you can shrug off even a power fist to the face*.

*except in a challenge... you're not in base contact with the knights, so no T5...which is why I pretty much ignore the option to throw a character in there.

Let the sarge take the challenge when someone with a power fist jumps you, he's got the Shield to block a wound or two.

Why aren't you B2B while in a challenge? If you're in a challenge and B2B with at least two other characters with the fortress of shields rule, I don't see why you can't get +1 toughness. Do you have a specific quote from the rulebook to back this up?

Most likely due to moving the characters in a challenge so that they're in base to base contact.

Archived