Multiple doctrines for Veterans?

Local game store managers are for some reason often useless, as this shows laugh.png Mine couldn't even recommend the correct replacement paints! I soon learnt my lesson and asked online msn-wink.gif

As mentioned you can take whatever ones you like, the true question is if it is a good idea or not... I'd never take all three that would be silly but I can see room for two albeit one would always be grenadiers. A 4+ save is nice and not too expensive :)

I have no experience with using the demolitions doctrine, which I'll be sure to rectify next time I play; but in my experience, if I give my vets forward sentries, they will probably not move the whole game. They will be an anchor squad, to hold a flank, or an objective. In this scenario, their cover saves will usually always be better than their armor saves (either flak or carapace,) so I see no need to stack. Unless I was playing an assaulty army, in which case it would only come in handy when being charged. I usually just use grenadiers for plasma/ mechanized vets, as the extra armor save helps keep the squad coherent when the chimera inevitably explodes, or Steve forgets to scrub the muck out of his plasmagun baffles laugh.png

See, last time I played against guard with my Black Templars, my opponent played with 5 vet squads....all with all the doctrines. Very expensive. But as my troops rushed in to charge, they got hit with so many demolition charges it wasn't even funny. Many of squads more then payed their points worth. And some of them died without killing a man. There didn't seem to be an in between, which kinda makes sense actually. I still won, but he hadn't played in a year and a half, so perhaps the strategy might still have some value. 

Archived