Chapter 888 (Ultramarines...kinda)

Kierdale

Over the shoulder it is then :tu:

I'll see what I can do about getting it to fit lower but I don't think it will. I don't mind too much as no matter where I put it it's too long for him to realistically draw. Even at his hip I think it would be quite a stretch. :D

So...

Missile launcher and spotter

Reloading marine

Comms

Shooter

Flamer

Sergeant

...that leaves three more.

I intend to give one a SAW-like bolter. Box mag and bipod.

Another a chain-bayonet.

And the last...I'll see what bitz I have.

I got the sword to sit a bit lower :tu:

med_gallery_63428_11269_181738.jpeg

And here is the flamer-marine, armed with a VS-pattern flamer (named for Veteran Sergeant, who I first saw remove the small section of pipe so the front grill-bit touches the foregrip, shortening the weapon), a pistol on his right hip and a pair of promethium tanks on his left hip.

med_gallery_63428_11269_71557.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_283611.jpeg

I'm working on one with a SAW-style bolter now.

Another will have a bolter with mags strapped together (jungle style, I think they call it), a vertical foregrip and a knife out. Perhaps he thinks he's Snake.

Then just one more bolter-marine (with chain bayonet) and the sergeant :)

Flamer looks good.

I second that, good work Kierdale. As for the last member of your killteam, here some ideas to spin around:

- Kneeling, checking auspex/wristscreen/dataslate

- Priming meltabomb for a breach (always wanted to do that one!)

- Checking around a corner for tangos

- Retreating, shielding face with arm and shoulder pad (a nice excuse to mess up the clean white armor of the Mentors)

- The ubiquitous grenade thrower

Look at that, I came up with a whole combat squad worth of different poses!

Thanks for the comments, and for the suggestions, JPWyrm.

Today's marine, with SAW bolter. Rules-wise, just a bolter :)

med_gallery_63428_11269_258704.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_94874.jpeg

I might change the right shoulder pad as the bolter shell is at a reasonable angle if you think he's spraying shots that way but is otherwise off.

And I got started on the sergeant. Hopefully I can post some images of him tomorrow.

Better?

med_gallery_63428_11269_159173.jpeg

And the sergeant.

Combi will be interchangeable.

Left arm is magnetised so I can change it to a fist or other at some point in the future.

Does the Mk.II shoulder pad look okay?

His right one will be a fancy one from the sternguard box.

med_gallery_63428_11269_162903.jpeg

I rethought the sergeant's pose and changed his right arm so both weapons are pointed in the same direction. I wanted him with his sword up before him just as ready as his bolter is, and I feel it fits the rest of the squad better now. It also means he's got the big Mk.III shoulder pad facing the enemy, which is probably a good idea!

Grav attachment stuck on for looks.

Question: backpack ornament or not? Perhaps not...

med_gallery_63428_11269_30361.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_198687.jpeg

And I might magnetise a power fist as an option...but which?

The old tactical squad one? Admittedly I didn't even clean up the bit so I'm probably not so keen on it.

med_gallery_63428_11269_84470.jpeg

New tactical squad one.

med_gallery_63428_11269_254459.jpeg

Sternguard one?

med_gallery_63428_11269_194045.jpeg

...or none of those. Power fists aren't a great option anyway...perhap I should look into a chainsword arm option.

Still thinking about the fist.

Today's progress...

I added a targeter/designator/gizmo to the side of the Mk.6 shooter's bolter.

med_gallery_63428_11269_150597.jpeg

And the 9th marine of the squad. Magazines taped jungle style. I realise I forgot to add the vertical foregrip.

med_gallery_63428_11269_8797.jpeg

I should have the tenth done tomorrow.

I had planned to put on most pouches, grenades and belt kit after painting but, as I was making the 10th marine I realised that likely I wouldn't bother putting on as much gear as I really want if I left it until later. So I put stuff on everyone now. Most have only one arm glued on so it shouldn't make painting too difficult.

The 10th tactical marine:

med_gallery_63428_11269_102157.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_190399.jpeg

Chainsaw bayonet, left hand rotated to hold the bolter's magazine (perhaps he's worried about losing a finger) and belt kit including a rope. I love that piece. Maybe he's going to set a trap with it and the grenade.

Examples of the kit I added to others:

Grenades, pouches, and foregrip from Landspeeder Storm.

med_gallery_63428_11269_46444.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_196025.jpeg

I also added folded camo-cloaks to about half the squad. These Mentors are from the Rogue Trader days, they have no problem with using camo when necessary. ;)

med_gallery_63428_11269_166904.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_360345.jpeg

Agreed, it needs angling to be more natural but thanks to the camo cloaks you can get away with a fair bit with the cables I've found.

Remove the cables and replace them with a hair tie. They're flexible so you can move it however you want and it will look good.

Did that on a kit bashed metal Calgar model years ago to convert the left bolter into a flamer. Worked pretty well. Unfortunately, I didn't know squat about how power armor worked back then, so I ended up replacing the power plant with a tank from a Necromunda heavy. Live and learn.

Edited by Realityburn

• 4 months later...

The thread's not dead! :D

I undercoated the tactical squad, sniper scouts and five more scouts (from Lost Patrol, armed with a mixed and completely untactical bag: sergeant with bolt pistol and chainsword, one scout with a bolter, one with a shotgun, one with a heavy bolter and one with a pistol and knife. Lost Patrol rules don't care, and perhaps they'll get some use -mixed with other models- in Shadow War) last night.

Today I tried Pallid Witch Flesh highlighted with white, and Ulthuan Grey highlighted with white...neither of which took me.

med_gallery_63428_11269_114828.jpg

...so I'm going for flat white (though I can't promise Sockwithaticket-level crispness) and will sponge-weather.

Use washes/pigments if you go full white. This should help break out the bland colour and add some nice visuals to your models. You were going for a red sand planet mixed with techno-industrial for your bases if I remember correctly. Red dusts, chipping and various combat effects (grime, smoke/burn mark, etc) would look good.

Cheers!

A quick bit of WIP on the Lost Patrol scouts:

As they are a mongrel squad - weapons wise- I only put a squad number on the sergeant's right shoulder pad. If I later put the other members in different squads better suited for use in 40K then I will give them squad numbers then. I also gave the sergeant a little bit of text in red. A prayer or mantra, perhaps.

All have shaven scalps.

As I want to use them for Lost Patrol and 40k (and Armageddon, I guess!) I pondered over different camo schemes for their fatigues and eventually went with a safe black. It's only basecoated so far. I might give it slightly blue highlights as Duncan did in the Assassin's synthskin painting vid.

Boots, holsters and belts will be brown. Chest Aquila dark red.

Sergeant's chainsword will be yellow/black diagonal stripes.

The green is Caliban highlighted Warpstone then Moot.

Weathering sponged on, light grey and dark brown, some Leadbelcher in the larger grey chips/scratches.

med_gallery_63428_11269_98423.jpg

med_gallery_63428_11269_265029.jpg

med_gallery_63428_11269_22762.jpg