Chapter 888 (Ultramarines...kinda)

Kierdale

I’ve got a couple of weeks, but I’m ditching the electrics as

A. it’s just taking too much time

B. it’s sucking the fun out of the project. Making me loathe working on it.

There’s something about electronics that does that to me. Years back I got a Valkyrie and Vendetta conversion kit. Someone persuaded me to put LEDs in it. They helped me made a circuit. I drilled the holes.

Thus it resides at the bottom of my To Do pile. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/359090-aop2019-mentor-legion-vs-khornate-genestealer-cult-gold/?p=5404740

That’s the link to the thread with the finished diorama.

I won Best Theme and got Gold overall.

Yay!

And with no room to keep the diorama itself (not if I plan to enter next year. And I do), I spent the last few minutes tearing out the parts I want to keep/reuse (the plastic building sections) and demolishing the rest to be put out in Thursday’s burnable rubbish.

Let the galaxy burn.

As for the future of this army, I haven’t posted pics of the finished dreads (and there’ll be a third at some point), and I have another scout squad to build and paint.

I might, some time in the future go Phobos.

• 7 months later...

I’m not back on this army yet.

I’ll cycle back to them in good time; I have a tactical squad half painted (the second unit I bought for the Mentors years back, before Primaris came out, and it’s still not done!) and another scout squad to do. I plan to add Primaris to the army then, keeping it 1st and 10th.

As I’m rather out of the loop on new SM, what units would be applicable?

And yesterday I got my ‘acquired’ flyer on Warhammer TV! :D

gallery_63428_11269_609721.png

• 3 months later...

Back before Battle Fleet Gothic there was Space Fleet. And around the same time there was another intro-to-the-hobby style game, using the early plastic scout models from Advanced Space Crusade, called ‘Ultramarines’. Each player had a scout sergeant, a scout with a heavy bolter and three with knives & pistols. The objective was to get as many of eight objectives back to your starting room (and/or kill the opposition marine scout squads).

I never had it as a kid but a couple of months ago I remembered it, found the rules online and decided to make myself a set so I and my son can play it.

It used the first edition Space Hulk boards, which I’ve remade -to some degree- using (free, Google’s, non-SH) images from the internet. Didn’t jigsaw them. It would prevent boards moving but would be waaaay too much trouble, that.

I’ve tweaked the rules a bit, for example you had to drop dice into the box lid when you attacked, which was divided into hit and miss sections. If I remember correctly the result of the dice in the ‘hit’ sections determined the result of the attack. I’ve replaced that with a single attack roll.

Another tweak was that originally you rolled one D6 and all your scouts moved that amount. Not very fair. Now you roll 5D6 and assign one to each scout (even if you’re down a number of scouts, you still roll five dice, which kinda gives the plucky survivors more of a chance to move quickly).

Each squad had a sergeant, a scout with a heavy weapon (heavy bolter or missile launcher, rules are effectively the same) and three other scouts (armament matters not). Keeping it simple for my son.

med_gallery_63428_11269_28435.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_695817.jpeg

I remade the ‘event’ cards (which range from various grenades, to doors slamming down, ceiling caving in, teleporting, various tactics (a marine getting a second turn) and even a Genestealer attack.

And called it the most inventive ‘Scout Mission’, printing myself a rulebook with lots of Space Hulk and marine scout images. All the better to get my son into it ;) (though after today’s game we need to tweak one rule, and I might add in some optional rules such as over watch).

Anyway, we had our maiden game today and, though we ran out of time, we thoroughly enjoyed it. In the first turn my son slammed down a bulkhead door right in front of my squad, sealing them in their deployment room! I shouldn’t have deployed in a room with only one exit! D’oh!

I slammed down a door or two to hamper him as well as he raced off to get objectives.

med_gallery_63428_11269_253101.jpeg

First blood was to me as I lined up three of my guys to mow down one of his, stunning his scout and them perforating his unconscious form!..only for him to be brought back via a Reinforcments card!

Later my sergeant got diced by a Genestealer and I managed to bring on a new sergeant via the same card...only for my son to lob a vortex grenade and take out both the sergeant and heavy weapon gunner.

We had a fantastic time and my son wants to play again soon, which is great to hear. A lot of fun and funny moments with scouts getting shot in the back, doors closing at the worst possible times, ceilings collapsing at the right time, scouts stunned/injured and just not getting up (no matter how much they were shouted at). :D

Need to tweak and reprint a couple of cards before our next game.

More images:

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_11269_288711.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_40249.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_216603.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_342413.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_17909.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_11269_458161.jpeg