Templar-themed Blood Angels Successor

Sir Perfluous

Will they just lay down and become bloody Space Marines or will they have to stay inside the font for an amount of time?

Is it just one font? If yes, it has to be a rather short time they have to spent inside of it. It would take a quite amount of time to transform about a squad of neophytes. If you would use several like the sarcophagi of the Blood Angels it could be more reasonable.

Or did I miss something?

The whole sarcophagi thing reminds me of Stargate. Does someone know those Goa'uld sarcophagi as well? biggrin.png

Wait a sec....that could be used on a BA warband... take a couple of Marines who have to use their sarcophagi to stay untouched by chaos...Have to think about it for our Grail Wardens project.

I think it would more be something like the full body dunk of the original baptisms: the priest (sanguinary in this case) holds their heads and leans them back into the blood, then pushes them back up once they are fully immersed.

The Blood Angels all drink out of basically one chalice, so that doesn't seem too long winded. And I don't know if all chapters let a whole "squad" of initiates undergo the procedure at the same time: I thought it was generally a one by one basis (excluding Wolves and Alpha Legion for instance)

All of the initiates do it together in the Blood Angel chapter. It's described as then walking before the space marines, showing them what they will become, then they all drink from the chalice, which sends them into a deep sleep. Then they are placed in the sarcophagi for a year.

So I wouldn't make the font the only thing. Make them go through the font, and then put them into the sarcopbagi.

I did envision a prolonged period of time in the blood, but thinking about it, that probably wouldn't make sense. How would they breathe, fpr one thing? So a dunk and a sarcophagus it is.

The second Baptism, the one that either Death Companies or Annoints them would mean a long time in the blood. They'd be dead by then, (or if they weren't auite, they'd drown) and unable to breathe anyway. The blood would brong them bacl to life.

I think the Font would have to be fairly big - we're talking ten feet by twenty? Possibly, bigger, maybe about twenty by thirty? It would have to be big enough to fit a few Marine-sized guys.

I like the thought of them lying next to their dead brothers whilst being baptised in the blood. It gives it a "full circle" sort of thing.

The IA is virtually complete now, though it'll probably be too long. I can't seem to think of a way to get across the story and themes I want with fewer words. So sorry if I make you trawl through information if you end up reading it.

I've had another idea for a name that I quite like, though. It's another "Knights X" one, but I think it gets the themes: the Knights Revenant. Whaddaya think? 

Huumm... That sounds pretty cool smile.png In that case do all neophytes have to be killed, then bought back to life by the Font of Blood ?

Also, it offers certain opportunities of some Nurglite faction that breaks from your chapter... but that would be a tale for another day.

Better than any other one suggested? I think it's almost perfect - the syllables are right, it fits the theme of the chapter (both in the "back from the dead" and the reformation they endured a long time ago - it's all in the IA, which is coming very soon now, I promise!) and best of all, it bears no trace of the words Death, Hands, Angels or a colour! (Though it does have the word Knights. Oh well.) So I'm glad you like it smile.png

I hadn't actually considered having the neophytes killed. Being dunked, yes, but killed... hmm. I'm just not sure how I'd explain how the neophytes don't go insane but the fully fledged marines do when they're immersed. Beyond that, though, it's a cool idea. I'll definitely consider it. It would be like the ultimate test of faith. Other chapters just have their neophytes fall backwards and catch them, but the Knights Revenant slit their throats and dunk them in a vat of blood. Awesome. smile.png

A Nurglite faction might fit, actually, though I'm not sure if I'll use it. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion, though. smile.png

PS: I'm not knocking anyone who picked any chapter name with the elements I mentioned. It's just that when I brainstormed "awesome names" those always came to mind and I got a bit sick of them. The Bloodied Hands, the Red Sentinels, the Death Knights etc.

The IA for the now officially christened Knights Revenant is go! Yay! Though it's still very long, sorry.

Do you think it would be best to post it here or to create a new thread for it? Bearing in mind that I entered the Knights into the Liber Challenge, would that make linking it easier?

EDIT: The IA is up! And it's here. A huge thank-you to absolutely everybody who's helped with this, I've tried to take your ideas on board and throw out the bits you recommended I throw out. I really couldn't have done it without your help (though how proud you feel at that statement will probably be proportional to the actual quality of the IA). Thank you again for giving ideas, criticism and helping me when I flailed around with fluff. :)

With the IA now up, I thought I'd maintain this thread as the WIP, where I can suggest new ideas I've had concerning the Knights Revenant and have them approved before I include them in the actual IA. The IA's thread is there for people who have read my masterpiece and now feel the need to tell me how wonderful it/I is/am. :) 

My first point, then, is that I'd really like to include a Knight House in with the chapter. It's very unlikely I'd be able to get my hands on an actual model of one at the moment, so for the minute they will exist only in fluff, but think that the KR and the Knights would work well together (though you more versed in lore might disagree, I don't know). And not having my knightly-themed marines be at least known to a house of actual knights would be a great opportunity missed.

Also, the Knights are awesome. You can't not love those guys. 

So the question is, if I wanted to have a Knight House allied to the chapter, would it work? Can Space Marines and Imperial Knights even share a world? Or would it be better if I just had a Freeblade or a band of Freeblades allied to the chapter? IKs and Space Marines can definitely fight together, but could they ever be such close allies that the Knights operated as part of the chapter?

And sorry for my lack of knowledge if I made a large fluff-blunder somewhere.

I think it would be easier if you use a Freeblade.

Although you could create a Knight World near your chapter's homeworld. They could be allies, of course. Have to read the codex again but I believe that there were a alliance between a chapter and a Knight House...

Archived