Mechanicum Thagmata Omnissiah Army Book

Targetlock

Hi all

So very soon Forge World is releasing a new Mechanicum army book which is detailing all the mechanicum stuff they have released so far (and some new stuff) into one army book and list. what im wondering is can i use this book in normal 40k games? i really like the look of some of the units and thinking of adding an allied detachment to my Ad-Mech Force :) 

I am not aware of any official rules allowing a 30k list to be fielded together with 40k list. Separate is  fine but combined will depend on agreement from your opponent.

As the others have said, this really depends on your local meta.  I always advise talking with your opponent(s) and working this out well in advance.  In my meta, 30K and 40K are treated as separate games and do not mix.  I know that in others, the two mix freely.

thanks for the advice, my local gaming group is the local gw store in fact, good group of players generally play for fun so not sure how the 30k stuff will go down, will check with players in advance.

I am not aware of any official rules allowing a 30k list to be fielded together with 40k list. Separate is fine but combined will depend on agreement from your opponent.

Forge World (also known as GWPLC) have several books that include rules for 30k units and vehicles to be used in 40k games. 40k approved stamps are shown on the units army list details, IA 13 gave rules for CSM to use contemptors, sicaran tanks, storm Eagles, kharabydis drop pods and so on. IA2 2nd edition has the same for loyalist marines there are restrictions on the tasty stuff to only allow a single sicaran for example and heavy units are often apocalypse only. The FW mechanicum book description says it is an expansion for warhammer 40k 7th edition so I don't see a problem here. Some units will have experimental rules stamps for 40k, some approved stamps and others will be apoc only.

GW stores will allow FW units so long as you have the rules for them, plenty of tournaments are allowing some FW units in now. There are exceptions of course and local gaming groups will make their own decisions. Let's face if GW can allow a 12 Wraithknight list to be a legal formation then little timmys cool looking FW robot should be fine.

Besides once 8th edition 40k arrives we will all be bringing whatever we like with no points and no list restrictions ;)

I am not aware of any official rules allowing a 30k list to be fielded together with 40k list. Separate is fine but combined will depend on agreement from your opponent.

Forge World (also known as GWPLC) have several books that include rules for 30k units and vehicles to be used in 40k games. 40k approved stamps are shown on the units army list details, IA 13 gave rules for CSM to use contemptors, sicaran tanks, storm Eagles, kharabydis drop pods and so on. IA2 2nd edition has the same for loyalist marines there are restrictions on the tasty stuff to only allow a single sicaran for example and heavy units are often apocalypse only. The FW mechanicum book description says it is an expansion for warhammer 40k 7th edition so I don't see a problem here. Some units will have experimental rules stamps for 40k, some approved stamps and others will be apoc only.

GW stores will allow FW units so long as you have the rules for them, plenty of tournaments are allowing some FW units in now. There are exceptions of course and local gaming groups will make their own decisions. Let's face if GW can allow a 12 Wraithknight list to be a legal formation then little timmys cool looking FW robot should be fine.

Besides once 8th edition 40k arrives we will all be bringing whatever we like with no points and no list restrictions msn-wink.gif

I will just ask my opponents what they think :) as for 8th edition i fear the day it goes age of sigmar on us, i like the idea but can only deal with one system like that to be honest!

Besides once 8th edition 40k arrives we will all be bringing whatever we like with no points and no list restrictions msn-wink.gif

This book is an army list for 30K - similar to the Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List. There won't be any 40K rules. Though, there's talk of merging some 30K Mechanicum units into 40K in an upcoming IA release.

now im just confused to be honest, some say you can others say you cant. i will probably get the book as im rather fond of mechanicus lore and will go well in my collection. see what my gaming group says about it, plus its a list i can hopefully use in the future with the new plastic horus heresy game that is rumoured to be released in the future

A lot of the confusion comes from 30K being based on the 40K ruleset and being billed as an expansion.  It's not an expansion in the sense of Escalation or Stronghold Assault - it simply borrows the core ruleset, and creates a separate game set in a separate time period.  There's a lot of crossover, and some metas allow 30K and 40K armies to be mixed, but there is a difference between the two.

Because of the variations between 30K and 40K, you can't always apply both to either.  That's why there are "40K Approved" datasheets for many 30K units.  Some mechanics do differ, and the balance can be slightly off.

A lot of the confusion comes from 30K being based on the 40K ruleset and being billed as an expansion.  It's not an expansion in the sense of Escalation or Stronghold Assault - it simply borrows the core ruleset, and creates a separate game set in a separate time period.  There's a lot of crossover, and some metas allow 30K and 40K armies to be mixed, but there is a difference between the two.

Because of the variations between 30K and 40K, you can't always apply both to either.  That's why there are "40K Approved" datasheets for many 30K units.  Some mechanics do differ, and the balance can be slightly off.

ah okay, thanks for explaining it, wish forgeworld could explain themselves better sometimes to be honest.

If anybody you game against you know well enough, somebody should be willing to play experimental matches with you.

I mean cmon.

If I had played straight up 40k, 1-2 matches a week for 3 years straight and somebody wanted to play with basically a new army to me and it's not in a tournament out campaign or other wise ranked match, that would be great! I'd be ecstatic!

I mean when tau were new, I hated them! Putting those commie anime space smurfs to the sword win or lose was awesome!

If anybody you game against you know well enough, somebody should be willing to play experimental matches with you.

I mean cmon.

If I had played straight up 40k, 1-2 matches a week for 3 years straight and somebody wanted to play with basically a new army to me and it's not in a tournament out campaign or other wise ranked match, that would be great! I'd be ecstatic!

I mean when tau were new, I hated them! Putting those commie anime space smurfs to the sword win or lose was awesome!

exactly what i was thinking :) also another fun way to represent dark mechanicus and the various horrors they can unleash. my local gaming group isnt too serious and more fun playing and less tournament like to be honest.

A lot of negativity with playing against 30k is tied to one simple word: Forgeworld. It has not quite shaken off the stigma of being regarded as blatantly overpowered, even if that is no longer the case in 7ed. As long as prejudices against FW exist you will encounter some resistance when whipping out a 30k army against a 40k player.

Q: Are the armies and units in the Horus Heresy books by Forge World meant to be used in games against regular Codex armies, such as say Grey Knights or Orks?  A: While Forge World’s on-going range of Horus Heresy books and their game content are all designed to use and be compatible with the Warhammer 40,000 rules, they have been fine-tuned and focused on playing battles in the milieu of the Horus Heresy rather than in conjunction with the Codexes representing warfare in the 41st Millennium, and this will remain the case. 

Designer’s Note: This means that while you are, of course, free to have fun and play games against your friends using any forces you like, and Horus Heresy forces will be broadly ‘a fair fight’ with Codex forces of the same scale, certain rules anomalies and inconsistencies may be thrown up that you have to deal with, although these should not seriously affect the game in most cases. (For example, certain units, such as those with the Stubborn special rule are at a premium costing in Horus Heresy armies over their regular Codex counterparts, owing to the results of play testing within their own sphere.) 

In terms of using Lords of War and the Primarchs, however, these are definitely not intended to be used in standard Warhammer 40,000 games, but only in games where both sides use the Age of Darkness Force Organisation chart, and the specific provisions within, and in games of 2,000 points or greater.

Designer’s Note: So if, for example, you wanted to play a battle representing a narrative where the Sons of Horus Legion fought Orks or Eldar during the Great Crusade, you could quite easily use those xenos forces’ Warhammer 40,000 Codexes (possibly house-ruled to accommodate larger squads) to proxy for their Heresy-era counterparts. In this case, however, both sides should be using the Age of Darkness Force Organisation chart, with the army’s own Apocalypse level units and flyers available as Lords of War entries following the guidelines found on page 184 of Betrayal

That´s the official statement from Forgeworld.

I´m playing my Taghmata for 1 1/2 year now and i´m very happy with it. Cause noone else in my area have a 30k army i always face 40k armies. 1000+ points are absolutly okay for the Mechanicum. The only real problem for a Taghmata list are psyker heavy lists.

I guess that Ad Mech will be part of the next IA anyway.

This way Forgeworld must just write down a few rules and bam, they can sell all the Ad Mech models for two systems instead of one.

i think its a matter of time to be honest, im also hoping they do some dark mechanicus stuff in the future too as my force is supposed to be a dark mech force.

Also i ordered the book :)

Archived