Battles of the Coronid Reach - tales of the XIXth Legion

I really like what your doing here. I must admit I'm a big fan of your Alpha Legion but am not a member of Dakkadakka so have never commented.

I really like the direction your going with RG, exactly how I would do them. The added stocks on the Tigris bolters is really good, I may have to try that my self.

Well, those Vorax sure are a treat to build, now we must try all the battle-automata.. Well, while I make some bases to prepare them for the camera I thought I might share my entry (wich is not going to win, but still) for Forge Worlds "win a titan"-competition.

Moving into the forward service point at marker epsilon-gamma-tetrius on vector 0-3-7 at half stride, rain pattering of the hull in the half-light of dusk, Vys Calmann called for a dead stop.

Dead stop, aye,’ her moderati in the left chin-seat, Peldrag, echoed and the engine slowed to a halt, the superstructure groaning slightly as the mass settled.

Take fifteen, fluid and stimm-scrubbers,’ said Vys, rubbing her temples while leaning forwards in the Princeps seat, ‘Once we have had our share of polish from maintenance we move north to reinforce Savan’s Reaver maniple.’ Around the Warhound mobile service-gantries and cranes rose into place, tracked hydrogen-haulers rumbled close to top of her fuel-cells, the 18-hour running engagement had tested the Tempestus engine and crew dearly. Not the ideal environment to break in a new Steersman on her first execution, Calmann mused.

In the right chin-seat, Steersman Valos was devouring a ration bar while cycling through the auspex calibration-sequence, her brow furrowed, puzzlement leaking ever so slightly into the manifold.

Omnissiah save me,’ Peldrag exclaimed in the seat beside her, ‘the auspex is prone to ghost in the field, stop fretting Valos, we’ve been over this a million times, it’s not a fault in the system.

Calista Valos nodded slowly to herself before replying, ‘I know, I was wondering about the icon on the side of the console.’ She gestured to the midline control-column just above her left knee, where an image of a dogs head inside a stylized sun had been etched into the magna-steel, the dog looked positively cheery.

The Furia once bore another name,’ Calmann answered, ‘when she was born on Mars, half a millennia ago, she was the Parhelion: the Sun Dog. It was during the second defense of Lorin Alpha, at the height of the Heresy, that she earned her name.’ Calmann took a swig from her hipflask. ‘She endured forty-six hours of continuous engine-combat and accounted for no less than six engine-kills, the sixth a Vulcanum Reaver that she dueled for over three hours alone, deep in the Naratheme Sinks with burned-out voids and her crew near dead from exhaustion.’ Calmann paused, regarding her flask.

She got in close at the end, full stride, servos smoking, circling inside the voids faster than the Reaver could turn and speared an overcharged pulse from her blastgun into its back, ending it.’

Calmann nodded to herself, ‘Thus: Ultrix Furia.

• 3 months later...

Building building, so little time for painting.. oh well.

Tanks are also fun. :happy.:

I have been arrangeing some Lords of War for the army, in all truth it's a resque-operation for a couple of old plastic superheavies that had long languished in a box in the basement due to.. well, me not playing Imperial Guard since 2008.

The first out was a shadowsword, completely pointless since we try to avoid Str D weapons around here and it discourages the use of odd superheavies.

So, new gun, new tank. To fit the Volkite-heavy nature of ther Pale Nomads I built a Volkite on the scale of the Stormblade's Plasma blastgun wich this little thing will be standing in as, I think I did quite well.

With some input from the boys in the MDRC over at the Age of Darkness forum I decided to go with calling it the:

Legion Flambard Special Weapons Tank

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/4/811375_md-Volkite%20Superheavy%2005.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/4/811371_md-Volkite%20Superheavy%2001.JPG

The second resque is an old baneblade getting a complete makeover as a Stormlord assault tank, the idea here was to bring it in line with the visuals of other astartes vehicles and since the stromlord not only posess a copious transport capability but also the Assault Vehicle USR fitting it with an assaultramp was as good as mandatory.

The upper structure takes a lot of inspiration from the Malcador with the limited-traverse Vulcan megabolter, especially from the Malcador defender with the outlay of the defensive heavybolters and the blocky form.

While this design sacrifices the open deck and all the small-arms from there (20 models may fire from the stormlord's deck) I don't care particularly much for the loss, the role it will be playing in my army (when used) is as a line-breaker, it's supposed to transport a mass of infantry safely into the enemy line, punch a hole with the Vulcan and deliver 40 marines into the breach.

Also, I always thought the open deck a bit silly, it looks way, way much better this way. The model features a complete, custom interior and the "roof" is removable but sits very snugly when in place.

Legion Vulcanum-pattern Stormlord Assault Tank

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768377_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768378_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768379_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768380_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768381_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/1/3/768376_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%2C%20Super-heavy%2C%20Tank.JPG

:happy.:

Acctually, Flambard refers to a two-handed sword with an undulating blade, Flamberge is a similarly undulating blade on a rapier or a longblade like a longsword or a basket-hilt sword but the term Flamberge is often erraniously applied to the two-handed greatswords as well. :happy.:

These are awesome.

The flambard is excellent, very tidy plasticard work, desperate to do one on a russ turret but can't work out how to recreate the curved barrel inner and the coil on top. Probably going to have to throw money at the forgeworld incinerator instead! 

The stormlord is literally an uber spartan, fricking top banana fella, clever use of rhino parts, amazing plasticard work again, and if the  assault ramp is counter hinged a la Landraider I may have a moment and demand the STC to replicate!

Thanks! :happy.:

I made the inner barrel, well, the curved ends at least, from plasticard tube cut to lenght then in half with a pare of platicard.. you know, I made a small blog in the AoD forum for scratchbuilding volkite guns, you might find that one informative. Questions are welcome. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/323086-of-endless-forms-most-beautiful-volkite-armaments/

The front top of the assaultramp is hinged if it was that you meant? (see the second to last picture) But there is no mechanical lever so that opening the lower ramp opens the upper, I toyed with the idea but gave it up since it would take forever to get right. You have to properly calculate the.. nevermind. too much effort for little gain in the end. :smile.:

I'm listening to the XCOM soundtrack, and I come across this thread. 

Those Recon Marines are wonderful and that Storm Lord? Make a Spartan version with the Lascannons where the Vulcan Bolter is and I'll throw money at you willingly, that is a work of art. 

I'm listening to the XCOM soundtrack, and I come across this thread.

Ah XCOM, by far one of my favourite games ever and Humanity's first incarnation of the Deathwatch we know today...

Vigilo Confido brother.

http://orig07.deviantart.net/45ed/f/2014/218/7/a/xcom_eu__council_representative_by_saguinius-d7u0hfj.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like them.

I'm holed up at my family's summer home out in the deep Taiga for another week or so but after that I'll try to get -something- painted, playing our zone mortalis games with basecoated /partially painted models is getting old.

These sure are real cool - I've plans for Deimos pattern Baneblades & Shadowswords, but looking at your stuff I should probably expand to the other variants available to the Legions

Keep it up :thumbsup:

You should, especially the Stormsword, I imagine it would be of great use for legions specializing in urban combat. Also, it's the second-best looking of the Imperial Army's super-heavies (1st being the Stormblade ofc.). :happy.:

Also, you should totally dream up a really cool heavy tank after the base specs of the Macharius / Macharius Vanquisher so I have something to scratch-build this winter. :biggrin.:
(Don't do one based on the malcador, I am already working on a heavy tank model based on that statline. :wink: )

Come think of it, I should make replacement guns for the Stormlord so I can field it as a Banehammer (Tremorcannon) or a Doomhammer (Magmacannon) they are essentially the same as the stormlord but with heavier armaments and half the transportcapability.

• 7 months later...

So, after an (extended) break from the hobby I got a new boost of both inspiration and time (especially time, wich has been an issue) and acctually painted something.

I also kitbasched a squad of Destroyers for my nomads in the desperate hope that FW will soon revisit their rules and make them woth the humongous load of points they currently cost.

Taking pictures I also remembered why I needed a lightbox. Anyone know a good one?

XIX

Memories of Unification

[<exloaded from>] Shanhorst, magos logis, data-autoptic covenant

(000110101001101010111100, code compression qmz)

[supplementary data modules collated, stream 01]

[intercepted vox-fragment, fall of Panthius Spaceport, Bitter Hold. 601.009.M31]

[Loading]

[begins]

[...] ..I do not care if the Automata are below optimum operational capacity, if they can walk they can fight! Now ge[< vox static, electromagnetic disturbance from high-energy detonation. 2.03 seconds >] Feth! Get your maniples here now Olakh! Out!

Control, this is Marauder One actual. We are holding the dock with 2nd Talon and 9th Support, light casaulties, situation deteriorating fast! We're getting chewed up out here Control, I need counter-battery fire on their damn artillery before they range in and I have Breachers massing 300 out!

[< unintelligible, lexmechanics propose unknown legion battle-cant rendering decryption impossible. 5.39 seconds >]

I KNOW! I just spoke to him control, and it's slow going over there, by the time Olakh gets here we'll be up to our noses in angry mint-green Breachers. We'll have to fall back if you can't find us any support!

[< unintelligible, lexmechanics propose unknown legion battle-cant rendering decryption impossible. 8.02 seconds >]

oh.. Oh, that will do indeed. Marauder one Out.

[squad Vox-grid] Hang tight boys, we got hunter-killer support in 30, comming up our rear, hug cover and keep those damn Breachers pinned!

[<undiscernably legion-cant, sussurating vox-static indicative of heavy Volkite-discharge>]

[Cross-spectrum vox discharge, signal flux-density estimated 220 Janskys]  DEATH TO THE DEFILERS! FOR THE EMPEROR AND THE LEGION!

[squad Vox-grid] Holy Feth!

[<Heavy vox-static, intermitted sounds of detonations>]

[squad Vox-grid] I thought you said from the rear Sarge!?

[squad Vox-grid] Well. *Laughter* I guess the Old One got impatient and took the shortcut through the hangar walls. Now scope those bastards, keep them off 2nd's backs you mutts!

[<Fragment Ends>]

Ancient Autarion

MK IV Ironform, the Black Fury, firstborn of the Legion, known as the War Crow

"-Veteran of the unification wars, once-captian of the 2nd Breacher company and one of the few who walked away form the Jovian campaign

with all limbs still attached, Captain Autarion met his first death on the void-decks of Peshawar Station orbiting Karnak, in the 53d year of

the Great Crusade. Mortally wounded by a Khrave eviscerator-fusil, his left side shredded by hundreds of adamantium micro-darts.

Following his ascent to a hallowed ironform, Autarion continued to operate in his favoured theatre of war, boarding actions, urban assaults and

other Zone Mortalis operations with distinction, often in direct support of the Legions Destroyer formations."

860743_md-Dreadnought%2C%20Horus%20Heres

860744_md-Dreadnought%2C%20Horus%20Heres

860745_md-Dreadnought%2C%20Horus%20Heres

Edited by STC Logisengine

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got my dirty paws on a box of BoP and well, why not start a second army, traitors this time, for more fun and flavour.

I converted a squad of sniper veterans, because why the hell not, and thought that green can be fun, why not paint green?

Sons of Horus it is, painting grey-blackish gets boring after a while and since I am batch-painting both a terror-squad (Chargers)  and a tactical support squad (Calivers) I needed a break and paint something a bit more bright.

This is my test-model, he's still missing a base and powders for the last touch of dirt but you get the general idea I think.

864944_md-Sons%20Of%20Horus%2C%20SoH%20V

864945_md-Sons%20Of%20Horus%2C%20SoH%20V

864946_md-Sons%20Of%20Horus%2C%20SoH%20V

Wow ! Just discovering this thread and that's the stuff ! You have an Incredible skills with plastic carde. Your recon squad is amazing ! Maybe if you are cool with it I'll Try to do the same one day for my own RG :) The rifle tutorial is a blessing.

Finaly nice work on the green, love the painting of your SoH ! I shall follow this ... From the shadows ;)

Keep on brother !

Malchy