Battles of the Coronid Reach - tales of the XIXth Legion

Thanks for the comments guys, I am glad you liked it.

I was thinking I would finish up another 4 SoH vets before getting back to the Nomads, then perhaps alternating between the two, painting too much of the same is draining and the batchpainting method I had envisioned for the Nomads.. well, it got boring because I airbrushed up a 22 infantry + 2 dreadnoughts, and when you have blocked them up with black, painted a whoole lot of bronze.. You kinda run out of steam you know, it feels like nothing ever gets done eventhough a whole lot is almost done.

As for the theft, steal away! I looted the concept from the photoshop-fu of Iron Hands Fanatic and I guess he's just happy to see more of his creations out there.

Something different, I went through one of my bitboxes the other day and found some stuff, among them a scrapped landraider (I date the demise of that projet to around 2008) and some leftover baneblade-parts, among them a turrent and some other stuff.

So, hey.. My SoH can use a heavy tank, I specced this one to conform with the Malcador with a demolisher cannon and lascannon sponsons (yet to be built) so it will probably look a bit like an upscaled Leman Russ tank when finished, thoughts and comments are as usual welcome. Keep in mind it's still quite WIP, I know that the Malcador only have a limited-traverse main gun (180*) but I figured how often will you shoot at stuff in your rear arc? :)

867100_md-Tank%2C%20Tank%20wip%201.jpg

867101_md-Tank%2C%20Tank%20wip%202.jpg

867102_md-Tank%2C%20Tank%20wip%203.jpg

Why? Why not?! ;)

No, it's not to the same standard as my previous works, but to be fair, it is very, very early. it has at least 20+ hours of additional modelling before it is done. But sadly, it will not be as good as the previous ones, to get it working you have to have unassembled, or only partially assembled kits. This one is a rescue in the truest sense of the word and I am not 100% that I'll be able to pull it off, but if you don't try you know.. :)

For now I managed to get the basics done on another SoH Veteran, then had a small fit and broke out the airbrush and went to work on the Flambard.

868234_md-Flambard%20PIP%202.jpg

868233_md-Flambard%20PIP%201.jpg

868235_md-Flambard%20PIP%203.jpg

• 1 month later...

XIX

Echoes of Old Night

"..a Voice said: 'Come and see', and I Saw; Behold! a Pale steed, and the name of it's rider was Death; and Hell followed Him"

- Apocrypha Terra M.1

"The oldest serving member not ascended to a hallowed Ironform of the Pale Nomads Chapter, Moritat Prime Marcellus Agrippa was recruited as part of the fledgeling Legion's Alpha-stage implementation

where gene-seed stability, indoctrination-protocols and combat-viability was tested by the Emperor's gene-wrights and tacticae. He served in the campaigns against he Tyrant of Ursch on

the mid-Asiatic plains and the fall of the great mountain stronghold of Mau'i where the Emperer cast the Tyrant into bloody ruin.

During the scouring of the Jovian range Marcellus, then squad-sergeant, was part of the vanguard assult brigades breaching the sub-arcologies of Lysethia and battled

the black horrors that spilled forth from its light-forsaken depths, initially slated for retirement post-action,

Marcellus was after apothecarion review subjected to complementary psyco-conditioning and attached to the Legion's Destroyer Batallion."

Moritat Prime Marcellus Agrippa

the Ghostwalker; firstborn of the Legion

876691_md-Legion%20Moritat%2003.jpg

876689_md-Legion%20Moritat%2001.jpg

876690_md-Legion%20Moritat%2002.jpg

Edited by STC Logisengine

Thanks all!

@The Observer; Yepp, it was fiddly as hell, I had to laminate 0,3mm plasticard so the curve would be stable, initial trials with just bending and shaping 1mm didn't pan out well.

@Iron Hands Fanatic; Hah, well I did say that over time I will probably steal at least half your ideas and make models out of them :whistling:  And ofc he looks rad! He has Rad-grenades! :biggrin.:

@The Psyco; Glad you like it, did I mention that I have modelled a Mk.II destroyer squad?

@Capt. Jack; thank you, I am a slowpoke but eventually I get stuff finished, I have been keeping an eye on your modelling shenanigans, top-notch stuff!

With that said...

I did get both the BaC and Prospero boxes so now I have quite a lot of infantry.. so, yeah.. I have been doing some speedpaint trials and this is what I come down with at about 2 hours per model when batchpainting.

I always wanted to do a Iron Warriors infantry horde with the "Hammer of Olympia" rite of war (in effect all models can fire rapid fire weapons and charge in the same turn plus some other stuff) and with 8th now out of the bag the idea I had for the army (40 tacticals, 10 tac support with flamers, 10 veterans and a couple of contemptors and landraiders) is suddenly viable (I think). :sweat:

So... Iron Within; Iron Without!

876924_md-30k%2C%20Horus%20Heresy%2C%20I

876925_md-30k%2C%20Horus%20Heresy%2C%20I

876923_md-30k%2C%20Horus%20Heresy%2C%20I

• 10 months later...

IV

Sons of Olympia

741071_md-Coronid%20Reach1.jpg

Following the liberation of Bitter Hold in 621.009 M31 to Agahtene forces following the unexpected counter-invasion of the XIXth Legion the strategy of envelopment favoured by

the forces of the Warmaster with the aim to isolate the bastion hives of the Agathon system had suffered a serious setback as splinter forces of loyalists from Isstvan integrated and

reaved and raided in unexpected numbers across the sector and replacements for the forces lost on Bitter Hold were rapidly being drained to hunt these scattered legions.

The situation could not be endured and in 788.009 M31 the warfleet of the XIXth Legion descended upon Dispater, annihilating the void-fleet of the Sons of Horus and reinforcing the

the beleaugered Commonwealth forces on the planet, if the Dispater system fell to the loyalists then all the Warmasters forces in the Pelian drift would be trapped between them and the

sizable force of Xth Legion warriors engaged with the Sons of Horus on Hell Rock with their supplylines cut.

As such, the recently arrived 89th Grand Battallion of the IV legion was dispatched to reinforce the Warmaster's own and bring a swift end to the Loyalists.

Hippo-Toxotai

181st Company, XXVI Muster

Taking its cognomen from the cavalryformations of the Byzan Empire of Old Earth the 181st is a dedicated line-breaker and pursuit-formation

operating as a strategic reserve asset at batallion-level to be deployed in decapitation strikes, high-speed envelopments, large-scale armoured warfare and force-recon operations.

Warsmith Kabrazkh Ennokoi, commander of the 181st

A bellicrose and bombastic commander, the warsmith has served his legion since before the comming of the lord of iron,

his agressive yet inventive tectics has seen his star rise to command and so far, without earning the dissaproval of the lord of the IVth.

He is here seen armed with a particle blaster and a heavy mk I Sol-pattern crystalline broadsword.

938888_md-Preator%201.jpg

938889_md-Preator%202.jpg

5th Tactical Squad, segment 1:2

Squad Transport, Company Armoury.

938892_md-Tactical%201.jpg

938891_md-Rhino%201.jpg

Ironforms

Iron within; Iron without

Ancient Kalapheron

Contemptor-Mortis Ironform

938895_md-Contemptor-mortis%201.jpg

938896_md-Contemptor-mortis%202.jpg

Brother Aphalax

Contemptor-Cortus Ironform

938893_md-Contemptor%201.jpg

938894_md-Contemptor%202.jpg

Whelp, that's some stuff done, got another 5 tacticals and a Landraider on the paintstation but we'll see when I have the time to finish those.