Battles of the Coronid Reach - tales of the XIXth Legion

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

*looks around*

Well Frak...  Kinda neglected this thing didn't I?

* eyes the big box of built and unbuilt resin * :ermm:

Oh dear..

Lets see here..

3 vorax automata, 30 Mk II tacticals with boltguns, 30 more with Volkite chargers and a further 10 with volkite calivers.. hmmm.. 10 MK II Destroyers .. I should really paint those.. and 10 Mk II Seekers and 10 cataphractii..

Well.. 100 line infantry..

Hm. Damn.. another box. :huh.:

Let's see.. proteus raider, malcador, rhino, three contemptors and a half-done Malcador-to-transport conversion..

Sheesh.  *looks around* Better get painting.... :sweat:

Well, finished some stuff, built some more. :happy.:

Behold! Inducted Vorax Battle-Automata to be led by my Legion Praevian.

983850_md-Vorax%204.jpg

983847_md-Vorax%201.jpg

983848_md-Vorax%202.jpg

983849_md-Vorax%203.jpg

Built the Proteus and converted some extra weapons, the quad volkite caliver is just for fun though, it's not a valid option but I guess I can get to use it in friendly games (as twl Heavy 4) if I cash out the points for the twl lascannon. :sweat:

the tracks was a bit of a pain to fit as you have to cut down the size of each piece a bit as the tracksection is a bit too big for the model. This as I understand it is due to a "generation gap" between the moulds for the tracks and the hulls as at some point the master for the hull was lost and the new moulds are made from a 2nd gen master so there is an element of parts shrinkage between generations.

However the rest of the kit was came together nicely and only needed minimal gap-filling.

I was thinking of painting this up with Destroyer markings and use it as a dedicated transport för my destroyer squad. Mostly because rule of cool but infiltrating a Raider do have some interesting tactical applications. :whistling:

983851_md-Proteus%201.jpg

983852_md-Proteus%202.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumbsup:

Absolutely gorgeous. Your Moritat is one of my favorite Horus Heresy models, ever, hands down, and it's great to see him getting companionship in the form of this squad. Not to mention the volkite on the Land Raider looks absolutely stupendous. Such a simple thing, and yet it has such a great effect upon the model.

Edited by Soldier of Dorn

Absolutely gorgeous. Your Moritat is one of my favorite Horus Heresy models, ever, hands down, and it's great to see him getting companionship in the form of this squad. Not to mention the volkite on the Land Raider looks absolutely stupendous. Such a simple thing, and yet it has such a great effect upon the model.

Oh Shush sir, you make me blush!

Can...

Can the Armoured Proteus take Choom OWO

Well.. No to my great regret.

However I did find my local Heresy Nuts receptive to the argument "So here's the deal, I want R30" S6 AP5 Heavy 4 Twinlinked, Deflagrate, I'll pay the 30pts for a 3d twinlinked lascannon for the two twinlinked calivers. Sounds fair to you?"

As this costs +10pts to upgrade from flamers on a leviathan and the cost of twl flamers on the proteus is +20, well, it's reasonable and ppl seems to prefer it to a 3d lascannon. :)

The frenzy of construction continues!

The Malcador is done, the volkite cannon was a bit tricky to build bot I think it looks quite good.

I also got a bit on the way with converting a transport tank (using the rules for the Crassus Assault Transport) from the miscast track units of the malcador, getting those things into order was a damn nightmare of cutting, sanding filling and heatbending but now it's done.

If you want to learn about building volkite guns I have this thred here that might be of help: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/323086-of-endless-forms-most-beautiful-volkite-armaments/

985492_md-Malcador%2004.jpg

More pictures will be around once I get some paint on this, the mobile camera does not like the white, reflective plasticard, it throws stuff with different contrast out of sync.

Size comparison. The Crassus is a big tank, 6 HP, 14, 13, 12 and transport 35! It's also quite fast as with it's overdrive rule it moves 24" (12"+12")  when going flat out.

985490_md-size%3F01.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well, lets just say I dropped the ball and it didn't roll anywhere - the compressor-hose to my airbrush got busted and then life.. well it got in the way.

*Picks up another ball*

Let's give it another try..

So I had a bit of inspiration, realizing I am in need of some aircover and a smidgen of anti-tank capability as the army has a lot of boots on the ground but not that much AT, and, well.. a single contemptor-mortis to handle fliers.. I needed to build something.

Xiphon or Lightning?

The kraken-lightning is a monster and the tool of choice for deleting spartans and typhons, however it is just that, a one hit wonder and honestly not that fun for me or an opponent as it rather boils down to if it gets intercepted (and blows up like a gasoline-filled piniata) or does it delete something big and then does nothing?

Xiphon it is, exeptional but not monstrous and can do a lot of damage each round but it needs a couple of rounds to eat up a spartan if it rolls well, and most of the game if it rolls average.

Do i buy a xiphon? weeeeeell I could.. but I also have a lot of materials and not having the xiphon model makes more sense.

Fluff. the Bread and butter of a good game of 30K!

The Xiphon, while superlative, is expensive in many ways. It requires a lot of maintainance, is staggeringly resource-intensive to build, is not designed to operate outside prepared staging-grounds/ shiphangars and has a comparatively short range. This led to most legions mothballing their Xiphon-fleets until the outbreak of the Heresy demanded the activation of every avalible resource.

Secondly - it is a void/suborbital interceptor, it was not made with a close-support mission envelope and as it is primarily a voidfighter it lugs around with a lot of systems near useless in an atmosphere.

So what do we want, fluff-wise?

Well, we want a Suborbital strike-fighter with transorbital capability as it needs to be able to deploy from and return to voidvessels in low orbit, it's not supposed to fight in the vaccuum; just ferry itself with a minimum of manuvers.

Something a bit more easy to produce and maintain - prefferably with a lot of common-use STC components to streamline logistics, and something intended for frontline-aviation. Something that is made to land, re-arm and re-fuel from whatever moderately level strip of dirt can be found just outside artillery-range.

Well, I think I got what I wanted, mind you, it's still a wip and it needs more detailing, sanding and gapfilling but we're getting there. :)

Enjoy the pictures!

Legion Vulcanum-Pattern Chiroptera Strike-Fighter

1022376-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

1022375-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

1022373-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

1022372-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

1022371-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

It is the engines, wings and enginecowls from the stormraven, the fins are the wings from the stormtalon, missiles are the hunter-killers from the IG sentinel and lascannons are sourced from the baneblade sponson kit, other than that it's plasticard. :happy.:

Bats are indeed mammals of the order chiroptera :happy.:

Oh, inspirations! Well, the colonial Viper is one, so is the Xiphon (who honestly leans heavily on the colonial viper), the cockpit takes primary inspiration from the Messerschmitt bf 109 and the nose from both MIG 23 bn and the sepecat Jaguar. The silouette is also inspired a tad by the UNSC sabre-class starfighter.

But a lot is also dictated by what can be done from the form of the wings and engines as those where the first parts put together and the rest kinda had to grow from there.

However no batman, the only batman I have seen are the films by Christopher Nolan, and well.. the first 10 minutes of tim burtons Batman Forever.

I first thought of not blending the wings and nose together, going for a more X-wing style hull but it looked a bit off, well, more fragile I guess? more suitable for a voidfighter than a low-level attack-craft that can really really do with more spread out hull to incur a stronger ground-effect. So that concept kinda died. :)

Legit! Nice going with the strike-fighter!

My only point of query is around the externally mounted missiles on the underside of the fuselage - it's a bit of a departure from the usual Marine aesthetic [which is not to say that's necessarily a bad thing], and seems a little curious in light of i) the integral-to-wing launchers ii) the potential for how these might interact when it's coming in from low orbit.

But anyway, it's a very cool design and a silhouette that's simultaneously both clearly part of the [better] Astartes flyer family, and visually distinct. Well done!