Battles of the Coronid Reach - tales of the XIXth Legion

Well, I think of it as a post-design upgrade once high-intensity combat trials showed that a complement of 4 missiles was not enough yet there was no internal space for a missile-bay and no external space for a full armored launcher so the only avalible option was to add external stores on pylons.

However, external store munitions are not loaded while initiating planetfall as that would be a waste of munitions and combatcraft :biggrin.:

Edited by STC Logisengine

You know how a reasonable person paints maybe a vehicle or a squad of infantry at the time?

Yeah. No.

Let's paint three vehicles, 30 infantry and 3 characters (oh yeah and also that shiny new flamestorm cannon you converted for your castaferrum dreadnought) at the same time!

:sweat:   :facepalm:

1022867-madness.jpg

• 1 month later...

Aaaaand we're almost done.

So, lets talk about the colours. Why the stripes?

The army is more or less supposed to be an anachronism, even in the context of the heresy. The Chapter (a quite looser term in the context of the Legions) is an amalgamation force, though the core is made up of the old Pale Nomads' Terran veterans they also contain Terrans from other chapters of the XIXth, exiled by Corax, old outrider recon vessel-crews, astartes veterans who plain stood up and left after they heard of what transpired at Gate 4-2. Things like that.
As such, they are an entity that has, in many ways, purged what influence and change the ravenlord brought and returned to a state of being before Deliverance and Corax, they have scrubbed their armor of the new sable hue and white raven, again they are a Grey Legion of the Emperor and the Emperor alone, oaths to their gene-sire cast aside as he cast them aside.

This means a return to the Principia Bellicrosa, squads are formed into Sections, three Sections form a Company, five Companies form a Battalion.

In short, a lot of numbers. So squadnumber or individual number (for vehicles) are shown with regular numerals, Company with a roman numeral and Battalion with a colour-code doubling as high-visability identification markings on vehicles. For an example, the Malcador is Vehicle 1 of the 2d Company's attached assault armour squadron of the 3d Battalion etc.

In practise this was adopted to add some contrast colour to the models, as they are grey with black/white markings you can really do with some spot colour on bigger models to break up all that grey. :wink:

1024038-Malcador%20Assault%20Tank%202.jp

1024040-Armor%2C%20Malcador%2C%20Tank.jp

1024033-Proteus%203.jpg

1024031-Proteus%201.jpg

1024032-Proteus%202.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

1055489-pict1.PNG

FROM BEYOND THE VEIL OF OLD NIGHT

1055488-Knights1.PNG

"-The greatest threat to the god-machine is not others of its kind, nor the guns of mighty fortresses or the dread Ordinatus of Mars; it is Hubris. Thus the wise commander guards against the inevitable, for even gods err."

Rangers, work in progress.

1055160-Knight%20infantry%20wip2.jpg

Battlefield-Sacristian, work in progress

1055161-Knight%20infantry%20wip3.jpg

RH-1-N-0 Mk. III-G Exploration and Multi-Purpose Defense Vehicle (Ranger Corps Issue)

1055162-Knight%20infantry%20wip.jpg

Summary

1055159-Knight%20infantry%20wip1.jpg

ooh real nice work with those rangers! (and the rest of it, of course) 

I've done some vaguely similar stuff for some Army of Unification awhile back; and it's a bit of a pain getting ordinary sized and necked heads into the neophye hybrid torso openings - I'm surprised (and pleased) that the Cadian respirator helms fit; and can be surprisingly difficult mounting stocks on the auto-rifles. Good call utilizing purity seals to cover the areas where the genestealer icons have been carved away. 

I'm also particularly impressed with the scratch-built quad-weapon - long-barreled (storm)bolter? 

Thanks for the kind comments all. :smile.:

@noigrim: Yes it will be, once Forge World gets around to ship the stuff I ordered on the 23d last month. *grumbles*

@Rylhar thamior: Yeah it was a bit tricky, it is not the respirator cadians though, it's regular plastic cadian heads with the visor and respirator transplanted from the Elysian droptroop heads. The stocks needed some work indeed, some careful cutting in the arms was nessecary in a few cases to get the stocks in line and straight.
The heads don't fit unless you cut away that square block at the back as it interferes with the hood, and you need to transplant the heads onto the neophyte necks to make it work, fiddly but the result is good. The gun was a thing I built for fun should I ever make a foray into the 41st Millenium and need to represent 4 heavy stubbers, I haven't finished the HH options yet but they are on the workbench ;)

@NightHunters: Yes, but there are no scopes or stocks in the kit, those are from the primaris marine and random guard kits. Though you will need to do some armtransplants from other parts of the kit like the shotguns, I think 3 of the autoguns have 'stealer hybrid arms/hands so some cutting and trimming will be needed if you want to use them as militia/guard/etc.

Edited by STC Logisengine

1056994-Infernii-warplate.png

1056988-Knight%20Mendicant%2005.jpg

1056984-Knight%20Mendicant%2001.jpg

1056986-Knight%20Mendicant%2003.jpg

1056985-Knight%20Mendicant%2002.jpg

1056987-Knight%20Mendicant%2004.jpg

1056993-Infernii02.jpg

With that photo-bombing done...

So, this was a little passion-project that sprung forth from the strategic bitz-reserve once I remembered i would need a force-commander HQ to unlock the Provenances of War I need, having read through the entry and some other stuff I realised you could give the madman a 3+/3++ save, some fun psykana like the Everchanging Axiom or a Null-Collar and well.. this was born from the "what if I just add ALL the wargear". I initially wanted to give it a really big sword but I have none that fit well, also, it can't take a relic-blade or similar and the powerfist lent an air of brutality. I might build another one once a suitable blade floats my way. :biggrin.:

I just went through this log and everything here is magic. The minis look great and the paint jobs are ace. Then there are the tanks and the flyer. Holy! You are a wizard with designing and putting plasticard to use!

Thank you, I am hoping that FW will open up soon so we can get on with converting some knights!

I have gotten myself a pile of helmets and a van Saar box to make some power-armoured grenadiers for the household auxilia infantry, it'll be fun. :yes:

So.. I just read through the novel Lion el Jonson, Lord of the First and ... wow.

God damn it.

Now I have to allocate a portion of my large pile of Mk.II marines to a Ist Legion force.

I knew this would happen.