'loyalist' Emperor's Children - tactical marking ideas?

Hello there folks,

I've been pondering this idea for a while now, and thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. I wanted to come up a loyalist version of Vairosean, because I quite like his character, dour and serious. Not typically what you'd expect of the Emperor's Children.

I'm working on this basis --

A stern, older warrior with salt and pepper hair, dark skin and narrow features, Marius often appeared at best expressionless, but more regularly disapproving

I also recall something about him being a guest member of the Sons of Horus lodge - so might put an Eye of Horus symbol on him somewhere.

I am using a Space Marine Captain as the base - I have GS'd some III numerals and got some Eagle Wings to 'bling him up' as would befit an officer of this legion. I am just wondering how best to equip him -- I haven't played 40k in over a decade, and have yet to fully read up on the rules of 30k, so I am a little in the dark about what is a 'good' weapon/equipment. I really want it to be 'fluffy' - however having recently read Fulgrim I can't really recall anything more than him having a bolter.

I would guess a power sword would be the typical sort of thing to have on a captain - I've got a sheathed Gladius.

I am thinking maybe a pointing power fist and plasma pistol??(which is what the original model came with) or is this a little too bland?

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated?

He would be praetor type, so would likely have those options open. So a paragon blade.

There was a civilisation which they encountered, Warriors and their leader was beaten in single combat, after the loss, the entire civilisation killed themselves on their swords.

These swords we're taken and used to honour the opponent bested in combat by the legion.

I think that was book one betrayal I can't remember.

Thanks for the input guys,

I'd had a broad idea of what I wanted to do with the general feel of the model, so here is a blue-tac'd mock up. There is still a lot to do and the green stuffed moulded bits need to be tidied up/smoothed over. I'm not entirely taken on the eye of Horus on his belt - but I've not got access to any SOH 30K models so had to use a 40K version - so I might replace it with a brass etched symbol from forge world (should get one off ebay...)

I've gone back through Fulgrim and picked up that he is in MKIV plate - so I've used a particularly ornate Palatine Blade head. I am thinking the transverse crest should be used for captains. I did consider a stern guard MKIV head with a targeter on, but I think this one better suits. I do have a healthy bits box, so can still tinker with it.

I'll do a bareheaded version - i've picked the head out, its an IG head, which i need to GS up a bit to make it fit, his features are described as 'narrow faced, sharp and inquisitive' - I think I should hit the brief there.

Can't find other references to weapons, beyond a bolter. So, i'll probably go for a combi weapon at some point, however I'll magnetise the hands so I can do any combo. I will also go for a power sword, as it is pretty EC! I might try and get an elaborate palatine blade sword unless I can figure a way to de-Dark Angel the one I'm using. He will kind of look like the guy from the Fulgrim cover (although he won't have long hair!) -- but I can't find any reference to that being Marius!

http://i59.tinypic.com/nf0k2g.jpg

Thanks for the help. I spotted that pic during my 'research', I'm not sure matches my idea of him. It's a bit too much of a DA flat top!! Any ideas where that pic is from?

Duke Nukem! Legend; perhaps he'll be the basis for a Sgt!! I kind of see Marius as a bit old and grumpy!!

I've not come across any Sabertooth games pic of him either, I know they've done Tarvitz and a very bad Eidolon!!

Thanks for the help. I spotted that pic during my 'research', I'm not sure matches my idea of him. It's a bit too much of a DA flat top!! Any ideas where that pic is from?

Duke Nukem! Legend; perhaps he'll be the basis for a Sgt!! I kind of see Marius as a bit old and grumpy!!

I've not come across any Sabertooth games pic of him either, I know they've done Tarvitz and a very bad Eidolon!!

it's from the hardback edition of Fulgrim, so official BL art :P

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post the WIPs of my Emperor's Children squad. I'm practicing the colour scheme on these guys before tackling Marius.

http://i60.tinypic.com/oihnvc.jpg

I'm trying to decide on tactical markings for the shoulder pad. I've not come across much in the way of 'official' EC markings, beyond the III on the other pad. I might still incorporate the three super imposed over the eventual marking, and maybe a squad number if i can get a small enough transfer. I am mainly pondering tactical, assault and heavy support, command can just be highly elaborate eagles etc.

I've come across this, which seemed a good base. I was thinking maybe using different colours for different companies. 

http://i61.tinypic.com/156g3nk.jpg

I also like these styles 

http://i58.tinypic.com/35bwo09.jpg

I'm not sure if they should be 'too' codex, but i think the EC would be quite similar to the Ultramarines in some respects. I'd just like to hear a few thoughts and ideas from you guys.

You appear to have already done it but if he's loyalist, he wouldn't have an eye of Horus symbol on him, not once everyone knew about the heresy. Even the loyalist Sons of Horus went back to being Lunar Wolves. The other thing is that the lodges were or at least became chaos cults so another reason he wouldn't have a lodge emblem.

Having an Eye of Horus on him would be like an anti-Hitler German joining the allies and wearing a swastika on his uniform.

The Eye of Horus symbol denotes service with the Warmaster, as per numerous forge world reference pictures, and is a badge of honour.  I recall he is infact a member of the Sons of Horus lodge. It is well documented that the III served directly under Horus whilst the legion built up its numbers.

The 'Loyalist' refers to the legion pre Istvaan, as Marius does turn traitor in the end, so I consider it quite apt that he wears the eye.

The Eye of Horus symbol denotes service with the Warmaster, as per numerous forge world reference pictures, and is a badge of honour.  I recall he is infact a member of the Sons of Horus lodge. It is well documented that the III served directly under Horus whilst the legion built up its numbers.

The 'Loyalist' refers to the legion pre Istvaan, as Marius does turn traitor in the end, so I consider it quite apt that he wears the eye.

So the captain and his men are still part of the legion then. Is this for a Istvaan III setting?

So the captain and his men are still part of the legion then. Is this for a Istvaan III setting?

Pretty much - I am basing my EC around the time of the Cleansing of Laeran - this will give me a 'base' of generic marines that can go traitor if i want to include Kakophoni, or be loyalist if swap the command squad for someone like Tarvitz or Dementer.

I am really just wanting to convert up some of the characters from 'Fulgrim' 

I am still thinking I might base it around Vairosean's third company; which may mean I don't go for company colours. Hmmm.

Archived