EVENT - The Battle of the Forge

Sigismund229

He knew how this would play out. He lacked the incredible application of force the 1st or 4th could dole out in space, his ships would only be for harassment he would not waist so much life.

He landed every single piece of armour he had, every Knight, every Titan, every Daughter of Daer'dd, every Ogryn wore plate and every Ratling a rifle.

A deep breath in.

He is Orr'eon Lakestrider, the Ironborn, Lord Chief of the 3rd Grand Wartribe, Master Hunter, Master of the Armoury.

He clicked on the hololith recorder.

"My father is dead, fell by those you've sided with. And while I can't promise death to a Primarch, I can promise vengeance a thousand fold. And I promise all whom march against the Iron Bears now will regret it for a hundred millennia. And any Primarch that does land here, I promise to put so many rounds into your flesh, you'll never feel as you do now, I will strip you of any confidence, any bravado, any comfort you have now. For you will know what it is like to be bested by a simple Astartes. To land here is to court death, for she is my mistress."

He clicked off the hololith, and his Artificers began setting up the signal. He knew they were coming. But they'd given him time, the poor bastard sons would regret every step they took onto this planet.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd

Thank you! I'm really excited to have the Bears be part of this. This is exactly where they should excell. Heavy assault long grind out warfare. Where their survivability and individual combat prowess should shine.

Also I should note Orr'eon's name comes from a lake/town here which is named after Orion the Hunter, but opposed to the Oh Ryon pronunciation the local colloquial pronunciation is Or re on, so I'm rolling with the local.

Here is my description/how I imagine the defences of Iyacrax are. If you think I've over egged or gone over the top with something please let me know.

+ + Excerpt from Adeptus Ministorum file number 3,442 on the world of Iyracrax IV + +

Located in the Segmentum Solar, the world of Iyacrax is a Forge World. Iyacrax was brought into compliance by the astartes of the Lightning Bearers in 803.M30. The world has a population of 17 billion souls, all of whom are employed in the worlds continent sized manufactories. Second only to Mars in terms of production capability, the world of Iyacrax produces up to 4% of all Super Heavy armoured pieces and nearly 1.78% of the Power Armour and bolter ammunition. While these were the worlds principall industries, it also possesed the capability to produce titans. In addition to its vast industrial power, Iyacrax occupied a relatively stable area of space, making it an ideal transport hub.

The garrison of Iyacrax consists of nearly 1 billion men of the Imperial Army, largely drawn from the Voltine Hussars, Borrydok Highlanders and Karrityne Heavy armour, with smaller detachements of Korrikan Steam Troopers, Horritan Gunner, Grundun Rifles and Volpine Guards. In addition to these Imperial Army troops, the garrison also contained a force of 4000 Halycon Wardens, hand picked by their primarch to defend the world. In orbit, the Iyacrax Defence Fleet can call on five capitol ships along with 200 smaller vessels. Details of the Mechanicum forces on the world are unknown, aside from the Legio Corvus and the Ordinati Iyacra. Multiple estimates have been attempted by Imperial commanders over the years but none have been confirmed due to the mechanicums refusal to share its data.

There are two Ordinatus on Iyacrax, the Ordinatus Ferrum, known as Hells Judgement by the troops of the Imperial Army and the Ordinatus Angelis. The Ordinatus Ferrum is an Alpha Class artillery piece, consisting of two Kibre pattern cannons. Significantly larger than stamdard weapons, the Kibre cannons fire a shell weighing nearly 43 tonnes. While tests have never been conducted, it is estimated that one shell from a Kibre cannon is capable of killing an Emperor titan and that the guns maximum effective range is 160Km. However, only two of these guns were ever produced as the responsible for their design, Tech Priest Ezra Kibre, was later declared to be heretical in his inventions of such weapons. The second Ordinatus on Iyacrax, the Ordinatus Angelis, is located on the outside of Gamma Manufactory. Details of this ordinatus are much rarer as no non mechanicum personnel have ever been let near it. However, from what can be see from afar, it appears to be some form of enormous energy weapon, possibly using similair technology to plasma or volkite weaponry.

Aside from all the aformentioned defences, the world of Iyacrax also has a complex shielding system, which it is estimated could withstand bombardment from a fleet of similair size to the Iyacrax defence fleet for a full month Terran standard if the fleet were to stay in high orbit. However, the shield ceases to function against low orbital strikes and while many of the larger manufactories have seperate shields, the majority of areas woudl be vunlerable to bombardement from this altitude.

Seems all right to me I think, except having two Ordinatii, that aren't even on crusade. Probably have one as a mounted artillery piece on the Fabricator General's personal Forge-Palace ? And say that the Ordinatus Iyacrax or Ferrum (tbh, I find that second name a bit obvious and not in keeping with the normal Ordinatus naming procedures) is taken by the invading forces.

I'm not sure why the Mechanicum leave that piece built if it is judged heretekal ? I like the idea of it, a solid/explosive shot Ordinatus is unusual at best I think, which is nice. On the other hand, the 43 tonnes seems a bit too big, even for an Ordinatus wow, MBTs are around 60 tonnes ? You learn some every day !

I really like the idea of this Ordinatus, for two reasons: it is unusual for AdMech Tech to use solid-shot cannons, and one of the battles within the Battle of the Forge could involve trying to capture the specially designed convoy vehicles that ferry the Ordinatus's ammunition. These would have to be pretty big (I mean, it's a vehicle that's carrying a tank-sized artillery shell), and they probably have their own extensive defenses. The enemy would probably have to rely on assaulting the vehicles, because of the volatility of the shells, and because they actually want to capture them as well, providing them with new ammunition.

Nice ideas Siggy !

I believe there are 3 or 4 on Armaggedon.

Hmm....if MBT shells are 60 tonnes I may need to increase the weight/calibre of the shells it fires....

Also, I was thinking that the Ordinatus Ferrum(current working name) would be fixed to a defence on the grounds that it's such a massive gun that it would probably be very difficult to move

Edited by Sigismund229

I believe there are 3 or 4 on Armaggedon.

Hmm....if MBT shells are 60 tonnes I may need to increase the weight/calibre of the shells it fires....

Also, I was thinking that the Ordinatus Ferrum(current working name) would be fixed to a defence on the grounds that it's such a massive gun that it would probably be very difficult to move

I think thorn means the entire MBT weighs 60ton.

The largest artillery gun built during ww2 fired shells weighing just over 7 tons.

Yeah, it's the tank itself ^^

Okay, so swap the "Angelis" and the "Ferrum": have the Angelis mobile and the Ferrum fixed.

Of course, energy weapons would probably be just as heavy, if not heavier, considering they have to move their own generators around, whereas the shells can be separate...

What do you think of the attack aimed at the ordinatus supply vehicles ?

I think it's a good idea, especially seeing as the traitors need to find some way of neutralising the Ordinatus otherwise it would slaughter them(the idea of two 45 tonne shells being chucked at you every 15 minutes doesn't bear thinking about)

Possibly they're both stationary? It would explain why they never went off world.

Possibly they're both stationary? It would explain why they never went off world.

Or unfinished by the time the Insurrection kicked off, with the shielding and mobility systems still unstable.

I think both are possible.

However, 15 minutes ? I think 15 hours would be closer to the mark...

I think every six hours would be more than fair for a solid shot Ordinantus. The 16 inch guns on Iowa class battleships had a higher shot rate. And while they're much smaller guns I imagine the support structure of an ordinatus is closer to a battleship than the Gustav.

Heres a more in depth thing about the Ordinatii, along with suggested new names in brackets

Ordinatus Ferrum(Ordinatus Kibre?)

Made from a pair of Kibre pattern cannons, the Ordinatus Ferrum is located atop bastion 471 near manufactory Gamma. With a maximum effective range of 160Km, the Ordinatus Ferrum can fire up to 2 of it's massive 43 tonne shells every 5 hours if it has a full complement of crew, 6000 men. It is also possible for the Ordinatus Ferrum to be rotated up to 360°, taking 30 minutes for it to turn the full 360°.

Each of the Ordinatus' Ferrums standard mass explosive shells weighs 43 tonnes. However, the Ordinatus Ferrum is also capable of firing poison gas rounds, canister shells or even virus shells. However, the Ordinatus Ferrum also has a number of subsidiery guns attached to its gun carriage. Mounted the carriages carapace are also weapons such as demolisher cannons, battle cannons, executioner plasma cannons and even heavy bolter and mortar teams. This makes the Ordinatus Ferrum less of a cannon and more a fortress with a pair of cannons built into it. The Ordinatus Ferrum also has shields capable of withsanding limited bombardment from a capital ship.

The Ordinatus Ferrums ammunition, large as it is, is transported along a seperate system of underground rail networks straight from the manufactory, where each shell is individually made and blessed.

Ordinatus Angelis(Ordinatus Iyacrax?)

The Ordinatus Angelis is built into Oryia Defence Network near Manufactory Alpha, the habitation of the Forge Lord. The Ordinatus Angelis is a massive gun based off of plasma technology. It's design means it's able to fire an unbroken stream of plasma at its target for nearly a minute before needing to stop to cool down, using the massive coolers built into it, a process that takes nearly 40 minutes. Using this continuos stream of plasma, the Ordinatus Angelis has been estimated to have enough firepower to shoot down or seriously damage any capitel ship that enters into low orbit above Iyacrax.

This potent anti ship capability makes it likely that anyone invading Iyacrax would need to destroy or capture the Ordinatus first. As such, the Ordinatus is prepared for an enemy attack, being built with walls and gun turrets in it's frame. Even without the main cannon, the Ordinatus' defences constitute a formidable obstacle with overlapping fields of fire and Fellblade turrets built into the Ordinatus, especially when the Ordinatus has its full complement of 4,800 crew.

I like the ideas. We might have to bump the weight of the Shell the Ferrus Fires though mainly because of:

http://portforward.com/games/walkthroughs/Space-Marine/Space-Marine-small-142.jpg

From the Space Marine Video Game.

If we made the shells it fired Nukes larger than this, you'd essentially have World-Ending Ordinatus level shots :p

How about a 120 tonne High explose shell? :P sound apoclyptic and ridiculously OP enough?

Incidentally short story about the first time the Ordinatus is used in action

Trooper Merdas Kavics of the 903rd Voltine Hussars tightened his grip on his lasgun as he saw the Warbringers unloading from their drop pod. The troopers down there, the 42nd Voltine Hussars, were getting slaughtered by the Warbringers, who were simply blasting the hussars apart with mass reactive rounds from their bolters. It always made Merdas shiver to see the way mass reactives blew through human bodies, threw them up in the air, leaving fist sized wounds in them. As he watched, an entire platoon of Voltines was carved apart by a Warbringers assault squad. Throughout it all, the metal faces of the helmed Warbringers remained impassive, uncaring of the slaughter they were wreaking on the Voltines. At the same time, as the Voltines screamed in agony and shouted orders or requests for reinforcements into the vox, the Warbringers remained utterly silent. It made Merdas want to pick himself up and throw himself out of the trenches surrounding the Ordinatus Ferrum and sprint forwards. If he could get even one of the bastards it would be worth it. Unable to watch the slaughter of the 42nd any longer, Merdas turned away and checked his weapons. When the Warbringers came, they would find him with a fully loaded weapon on full auto.

Gunnery Colenol Tarkus looked out through the sights built into the Ordinatus Ferrums command throne at the Warbringers slaughtering the Voltine 42nd Hussars. Growling, he bit down on his cigar even harder. Into the vox he said "Cannon battery 3 open fire on sector 3425-5838-1578 Alpha". "But sir the Voltines are st-" said the officer on the other end. Tarkus cut him off before he could finish and said "They're giving their lives to give you this shot. Use it". Then he turned to his command crew and said "Get us turned around so that we can fire on that sector".

Trooper Merdas opened fire on the Warbringers advancing up the slope towards the Ordinatus' position. While his lasgun shots were doing precious little to stop the enemy, it felt damn good to finally have something to express his anger on. Just then, he heard a whine of thrusters above him and swung his weapon around, to find a breacher squad had landed barely a few metres from him. "Fething hell" he said and unclipped a grenade from his belt and threw it at the assault squad, quickly following up with a few hastily aimed las shots. As more Voltines swarmed in to hold up, Merdas had no illusions that they would halt the astartes, the Warbringers, he turned back to the advancing astartes. Then, a massive volley of cannon fire came slamming down among them, blasting astartes to pieces and ripping through their squads. Then, the whole world fell apart.

Tarkus grinned contendedly as he observed the effects of the single shot the Ordinatus had just fired. It had left a crater at least 2Km wide and half as much deep. Nothing remained of the astartes muster he had targeted with the high explosive shell. It had simply been destroyed. Grinning he muttered "Get used to it you bastards. There's plenty more where that came from".

Trooper Merdas lifted himself to his feet. What was that? It was like there had just been an earthquake. He had been completely knocked off his feet and whatever it was had made practically deafened him as well. When he looked up over the parapet of the trench, he saw something new. A massive crater in the ground where before there had been Warbringers. What had happened? No weapon he knew of had that kind of firepower. Then he looked up at the Ordinatus Ferrum, one of its massive cannons smoking. Then, he felt a sharp pain rise up his spine anhe heard a chainsword being gunned. When the pain reduced he turned around to be confronted by an astartes of the Warbringers wielding a chainsword. As the Warbringer swung the blade down to decapitate Merdas, the Baneblade shells startes falling again, this time all around them. Merdas began to laugh. That was how death found him, with fire all around him, laughing like a madman.

If its an Ordinatus, you can permit yourself to go a bit overboard :tongue.:

Not If-We-Fire-This-Gun-We-Auto-Exterminatus-Ourselves overboard, but close enough!

Also, this might prove as a decent resource to base the size of the guns blasts on: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The Largest Nuke having a Fireball of 6km in radius with damage and fallout going as far as 73km from the center.

Consider: 

But reeling it back a bit :p

Edited by Slipstreams