EVENT - The Battle of the Forge

Sigismund229

I figured the Abaddon story had made it canon. As a personal preference, I like the element of this being perhaps the first time the Imperium is forced to call Exterminatus on its own because of a hopeless military situation. Also, it's more Grimdark than a truce.

I figured the Abaddon story had made it canon. As a personal preference, I like the element of this being perhaps the first time the Imperium is forced to call Exterminatus on its own because of a hopeless military situation. Also, it's more Grimdark than a truce.

That was precisely why we went for a truce, to show one last point of light amidst all the grimdark. Besides, after 1 year there'll be nothing worth fighting over left, so why use an exterminatus? You're not denying the enemy anything. And how do the remnants of battlefleet Iyacrax stay in orbit long enough to use an exterminatus when the world ks blockaded by most of the Warbringers fleet?

A Forge World could easily contain archeotech hidden away beneath its surface. While the world itself might be wrecked, those could still be worth the effort to destroy.

The idea of letting enemies escape doesn't really seem right to me, in a Heresy/Insurrection context.

I don't remember the Void Eagles being involved, though the number of times the roster has changed for this specific battle is pretty confusing. If they are indeed there, lieutenant Havieux is their commander.

Warbringers-wise, Kozja is in charge and Perkenas is present, as is Asaev if you wish to use him.

I missed this. Cool beans, was thinking we should give Perkenas a victory in a duel at some point. Plus Asaev could give us a window into Kozja's ruthlessness in conducting a withdrawal, once the Loyalists' intent becomes clear.

• 1 year later...

After examining the strategic dispositions of the Insurrectionists and loyalists following the Day of Revelation, simison has found that Nox would be isolated from the rest of the Imperium and would be too big a target to miss for Icarion - what would people here think about moving the Battle of the Forge to Nox instead of Iyacrax ?

After examining the strategic dispositions of the Insurrectionists and loyalists following the Day of Revelation, simison has found that Nox would be isolated from the rest of the Imperium and would be too big a target to miss for Icarion - what would people here think about moving the Battle of the Forge to Nox instead of Iyacrax ?

I would like to expand on this. 

To be more accurate, the proposal is to replace the Battle of Caelina with the Battle of Nox instead. Both are Forge Worlds, but Nox has more meaning to the overall meta. As established, earlier, Icarion is intent on creating a counter-Imperium to defeat the Imperium, which requires seizing most of Segmentum Ultima. Nox is located not that far to the south (relatively speaking), and represents a serious source of resistance and disruption to Icarion's empire.

Given Icarion's need for functioning Forge Worlds to supply his new armies, I suggest that Icarion can not ignore Nox and must either conquer it or eliminate it as a threat. 

On a meta level, having the final book of Expansion functions as a better book end since the trilogy starts in Mars. It shows that our new Mechanicum faction does not simply gain more and more power and prestige without suffering a cost for their Loyalty. 

Since this is the mini-book we want to introduce the Wardens of Light, this makes for a stronger introduction since the Wardens are already affiliated with the Abyssii, adding more narrative weight to the battle. 

As such, I am in favor of replacing Caelina with Nox. 

• 5 months later...

There's been talk of swapping out Iyacrax for Ryza - now, having had a day or two to think about it, I'd prefer to keep Iyacrax as it gives us much greater freedom with regard to its geography and ruling cult.

We originally had the Stygian Jackals involved in this fight; have we replaced them yet, and if not could I suggest a force of Godslayers?

The way I'd understood it was that we wanted to use the name "battle of the forge" for a larger better known Forge World, but that we could keep the Battle of Iyacrax under a different name - I'd understood (though admittedly I didn't check) that Redd wanted to just use the name for Ryza

I also like what we have for Iyacrax but am not wedded to the name

WRT Jackals->Godslayers... I must admit I couldn't remember the Jackals being there. Weren't we putting some Harbingers on the insurrectionist side?

There were some Harbingers involved, but I'm inclined to remove them. They've since been given the core of Expansion to show off in, and I'd rather the focus be on Kozja and other forces we've seen less of at this stage.

Jackals were definitely somewhere in the mix.

That aside, I'm thinking background fo Iyacrax could include the later Rangdan Xenocides and/or the Qarith Crusade. Thoughts?

Edited by bluntblade