Kakophoni potentially much stronger than thought?

Monkeychunks

Hi all,

Actually going back and reading the rules for Kakophoni:

Bio-Psychic Shock- Keep track of how many wounds are caused on a particular unit by weapons with this special rule separately. At the end of the shooting phase, all units with Leadership values and who do not have the Fearless rule that have suffered 1 or more unsaved wounds from weapons with the Bio-Psychic Shock special rule must take a Leadership test with a negative modifier equal to the wounds they suffered. So, for example, a unit which suffered 3 wounds from weapons with the Bio-Psychic Shock special rule would take the test at -3.

If the test is failed, then the unit immediately suffers D6 wounds at AP2 Instant Death, with no cover saves possible. The player controlling the unit selects which models suffer these wounds, and the chosen models need not be the closest models in the unit.

I am curious about the distinction between wounds suffered, and unsaved wounds. Which value is taken for the Leadership test penalty?

Say a unit of 6 Kakophoni fires their guns; 4 hit, 3 wound, and then 1 save is failed. At the end of the shooting phase, the targetted unit takes a Leadership test with a penalty. Is that penalty going to be -1 (So a Ld8 check) or -3 (A Ld6 check)?

If saved wounds still count, it means that even a small unit of Kakophoni has the potential to dump D6 kills fairly reliably.

Very interested to see how to interpret this.

Sorry, looked every which way to make these things work, it is impossible, unless you want to blow a hs choice and points just to be fluffy. You may as well just not!

Short range, ap5, gets hot and heavy, a crapper plas cannon.

It's almost like they were scared of making them op, but instead made them redundant.

Plus if you hit a fearless unit in that short range= wasted shots. Or vexilla.

• 2 months later...

In book 6 the ec rite of war will enable them to be troops and relentless and when we get a red book update they'll become heavy 2. That's how I'm using them so hopefully they'll improve with those three rules!

Is that wishlisting or actually 'confirmed'? (As far as anything csn be confirmed untill its oficial release).

In book 6 the ec rite of war will enable them to be troops and relentless and when we get a red book update they'll become heavy 2. That's how I'm using them so hopefully they'll improve with those three rules!

Is that wishlisting or actually 'confirmed'? (As far as anything csn be confirmed untill its oficial release).

Relentless troops is definite speaking to Andy H and the heavy 2 came from discussions with him as well. The latter is hopefully in the red book update. Also ws5 for Phoenix guard. No time for wishlisting :)

I'm playing with twenty kakophoni tomorrow with "New" rules so should be interesting.

Having tried them today with relentless, heavy 2 and scoring I'm happy. It's only 1 game and I lost nearly half to killing themselves I'll happily run them again. It'd be nice if they didn't kill themselves but they're same cost as a tac support squad with calivers. Slightly better range, stubborn and bio psychic shock vs volkite. Most would pick the latter but as an emperor's children player I'll be running the former!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived