Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and I've read the book at least once cover to cover, with a bit more focus on certain sections.

As a result, I have a thought of a possible synergy in an Ordo Reductor list:

- Magos/Archmagos Reductor has Sunder special rule, and can confer it to friendly unit within 6" if not shooting.

- Magos Prime with Ordinator upgrade has Obrital Barrage.

- Early in game, if enemy is bunched up, or any time the enemy may be bunched up, or if you want to put some hurt on a super heavy, etc, confer Sunder to the orbital barrage. That's D3 Ordnance large blasts with Armourbane & Sunder.

It's a one-shot per game, but basically increases the chances of a penetrating hit, with the potential for 3 of these. 

Also, just for fun: Macroarid Explorator with flare shield, armoured ceramite, volkite culverins & irradiation engine. Feel the burn!

Edited by Sgt. Cotys

Just finished reading through the 30k Mechanicum Teghmata red book. Some big clarifications for 30k peeps ontop of the usual codex stuff. Here are the important Age of Darkness clarifications:

• First Blood and Line Breaker are NOT secondary objectives in 30k. Outside of special missions, they don't exist anymore. These are replaced with 'Last Man Standing' and 'Attrition' (greatest number of surviving units and most destroyed enemy units). LoW give up victory points as before. In a nutshell, this means Rhinos are back, baby.
  • There are 6 unique 30k missions with 6 deployment types, 3 of which are new (these are from the other books, but are now official)
  • As before, only troops score, and this does not confer to their transports
  • Having no models on the table, at any time, means you automatically lose. This means you automatically loose if you take a drop pod army and go second
  • FOC Modifications, Formations, Detachments, and Unbound Armies from 40k are "not designed for use with" 30k and "should not be used"
  • Ideal game size has been amended to be '1750-3500' finally putting to rest that it's entirely possible to play fun games of 30k with less than 2000 points
Overview

Unlike the legion red book, the admech red book includes some generic fluff as an introduction. It also includes an official set of rules for playing in the Age of Darkness (30k) in 7th edition. Relics are, however, omitted. This forces you to buy HH Book 4 to use them, which sucks, but as FW is owned by GW you shouldn't be surprised. As before the armory is conveniently at the end of the book, along with a quick summary of all the weapons, and the pages are silver lined and come with a cloth page marker. In terms of value the legion book still beats this one since, despite having more pages, there are actually less unit choices (34 vs 57). Compared to a GW codex which costs more and has less choices... well, this is a fantastic deal. I haven't found the usual inconsistencies, omitted rules, or game breaking combinations that I normally expect from FWs legendary editing team, but then again I haven't really dug into the meat and potatoes. As of right now the only real conundrum is if Admech units in the legion book are to be used for legion armies, or if the ones in this book replace them.

Army Changes and Ramifications

Generally speaking, this update has brought AdMech more into line with the power level of legions. Battle Automata had a major nerf- they can no longer score in any way and cost more points ontop of it. That leaves you with tech thralls and thallax. Both of these are fair units with some tricks, but aren't really great options (much like the troops in the Legion army). Thankfully thralls remain cheap so Admech remains a strong allied choice. Cybertheurgy is now easier to cast and a Magos Dominus can finally join units of robots.

Of the three armies, Legio Cybernetica feels like it had both the least amount of time spent on it and was hit the hardest by the changes. They were given no unique FOC, no unique units, and are forced to take Castellax for all compulsory choices and must use units of at least 2 in size. Heavy support and fast attack choices must also include robots first before anything else. This means that they make poor allies and in small games could actually have 0 scoring units out the door. For the trouble you get +1 initiative on robots and a 12" bonus to your Cybertheurgy range. Ouch. Outside of a few specific lists, this basically means it makes little sense to play Cybernetica anymore. Considering they were once the strongest ally option, I'd say they've fallen pretty hard :sad.: If there is any silver lining, it's the Vorax. They are cheaper, have WS4, you can make their rotor cannons useful with poison, and at I5 stand a good chance to seriously hurt MEQ in melee. Combined with Irad-cleansers they could do some serious work even against terminators.

On the flip side- Ordo Reductor. Once the red headed stepchild of the Mechanicum, this army has gotten a lot of love. Two unique units, their own FOC, vehicles scoring in the enemy deployment zones, and 4 heavy support choices. You can't take allies, must have less robots than humans, and your compulsory troops must be Thallax. Their unique artillery tank batteries are criminally good: ~30-40 points cheaper than their legion counterparts and have an awesome array of choices including 95 point vindicator squadrons and AV13 basilisks. As an interesting side-note the colossus bombard is back with rules similar to it's original ones from Imperial Armor Vol 3 (proving that either the colossus and colossus-bombard are two different vehicles, or that forgeworld is just awful at editing).

Taghmata remains largely the same, but attention has been given to Fast Attack. Besides the buff to Vorax, Taghmata now has access to Crusade Fleet Avenger Striker Fighters as a fast attack choice. Besides their awesome model, these babies have updated rules that gives them the firepower of a fire raptor for less points. Their load-out also sets precedent for the Primaris-Lightning dual mounted hardpoints, helping clarify the long standing question of "do I get two twin linked auto-cannons or just one" (Answer: you get two twin linked auto-cannons). These changes are nice to see as it makes both fliers more attractive choices on the tabletop, but keeps them different enough that they aren't no-brainers. Outside of this there are units like the Domitar and Thantar-Cynis which, while being new, have arguably worse rules than existing options. I don't expect these will get much use at all. Landraiders have also been entirely removed and replaced with Macrocarid Explorators with a new set of rules. This definitely sucks for anyone who modeled one with the old rules, but at least the option wasn't entirely removed. The Ordinatus is also pretty interesting, but has a prohibitive point cost (the Sagittar pattern, essentially a single D strength weapon without twin linked or BS5, can be yours for the low low cost of 700 points) which will keep it from being fielded outside of truly massive games.

Edited by Bulbafist

Awesome summary Bulbafist! Thank you! :)

Unrelated to Mechanicum, but the "no models due to Drop Pod Assault" ruling is... unexpected. Doesn't that make Orbital Assault somewhat useless?

Edited by Caillum

Finally got my book,

Completely agree regarding the Domitar and new Thanatar chasis. I can't think of a scenario where I'd rather not have a Castellax or Thanatar instead of running the Domitar.

If he was 35 points cheaper than current cost maybe just for fun but as it stands I'll take a big pass

Pretty much all of the new stuff is somewhat disappointing, in the sense of being very costly for what you get, even in light of the points bump on the Castellax.

I'm still waiting on my book, but is the enhanced array for Scyllax a free option, and is it on a per-model basis? In other words, can you take 8 of them, 6 with enhanced arrays and 2 with special weapons (relentless graviton guns is nice, rad-cleanser for yet another potential -1 is also neat for a total of -3 toughness swing with a character with rad grenades). These guys are pretty expensive (325 and still in need of a transport), but they could potentially make for decent counter-charge/trouble shooting unit. 4 effective S5 attacks each, generating further attacks on 6s to wound.

The Domitar is disappointing, considering it basically has the stats of a Castellax while costing almost as much as two of them. I think if it was essentially the melee version of the Thanatar, with T8 and Sv2+, it would have been worth considering. As it is, I will probably get just one as long as the model is cool. Speaking of Thanatars, I'm shocked they left the Calix such a pile of crap, I'm sure they got plenty of feedback from the experimental rules (then again, it took how many iterations to give the Magos independent character, and secutors are still overpriced nonsense).

By the way, the Vorax have been serious winners for me. Between poison and +1 attacks, they are finally worthwhile compared to Castellax. And Cybernetika need not complain, that +1 Initiative on Castellax and Vorax is a pretty big deal.

Add me to the ever growing list of "Got my Red book, and now I want a list of big stompy robots", I do have a couple of quick q's and hoping the guys in this thread have already.

Thallax - I love the models, and want these guys as a minimum size model for any force I want to put together (I don't like Thralls, but can be convinced, but doesn't have the "big stompy robot" factor) However, a Jump Infantry model sporting Heavy profile weapons feels a little off, and I don't quite see how they fit in. How are people using these guys? Are they using their weapons for the first half of a game and sitting on objectives in your own deployment zone, and then moving forwards later in the game to contest / claim other objectives? Do people keep them min-sized & multiple units, or go for fewer units of a larger size?

Castellax - I kind of want to take the Cybernetica list to make Castellax compulsory troop choices (and promote them over the Thallax). Again, how are people equipping them, and what unit size is best. I was kind of thinking of taking two units of 3 Castellax and keeping them ranged (i.e. no Power Blades).

HQ - I'm thinking about a pair of Magus Dominus. Mainly to keep a Cortex bubble and to get decent access to Cyberthurgy.

Has anybody got any good threads of lists, tactics and such. I know this should be it, but with people now getting access to the Red Book there's hopefully a few springing up.

Cheers!

Add me to the ever growing list of "Got my Red book, and now I want a list of big stompy robots", I do have a couple of quick q's and hoping the guys in this thread have already.

Thallax - I love the models, and want these guys as a minimum size model for any force I want to put together (I don't like Thralls, but can be convinced, but doesn't have the "big stompy robot" factor) However, a Jump Infantry model sporting Heavy profile weapons feels a little off, and I don't quite see how they fit in. How are people using these guys? Are they using their weapons for the first half of a game and sitting on objectives in your own deployment zone, and then moving forwards later in the game to contest / claim other objectives? Do people keep them min-sized & multiple units, or go for fewer units of a larger size?

Castellax - I kind of want to take the Cybernetica list to make Castellax compulsory troop choices (and promote them over the Thallax). Again, how are people equipping them, and what unit size is best. I was kind of thinking of taking two units of 3 Castellax and keeping them ranged (i.e. no Power Blades).

HQ - I'm thinking about a pair of Magus Dominus. Mainly to keep a Cortex bubble and to get decent access to Cyberthurgy.

Has anybody got any good threads of lists, tactics and such. I know this should be it, but with people now getting access to the Red Book there's hopefully a few springing up.

Cheers!

For big stompy robot lists do the following.

2 3 man(bot) castellax, 2 3 bot vorax, 1 thanatar with paragon of metal, lightning for AA and 2 cheap magos dominus to keep the cortex bubble up and cyberthurge.

Outflank the vorax, let the castellax march up the field and keep the thanatar in back blowing :cuss up put MM or darkfire on the castellax for extra anti armour if needs be. Voila, roughly 1850 points of stompy mc death robots that are damn hard to kill.

I got my big red robot book and have decided on an Ordo Reductor list. I am super tempted to do a Caleb Decima Istvann III list (allows you to take 1 Legion tank), but that means no Thanatar Siege robot. Love that model so that is a no go right now. So here is what i am thinking as a general 1500pt Ordo Reductor list:

Ordo Reductor Magos kitted out CC with Rad Grenades and a Scyllax bodyguard (yes - enhanced array is free). Still trying to determine best transport since they took away the Storm Eagle option.

2 min units of Thallax with MM as tank hunters

1 max unit of Revenant Alchemy Adsecularis  Covenant with Induction chargered Mitralocks (as a tarpit scoring unit)

1 Tech-Priest Auxillia with Lacyramarta to make those Adsecularis 4+ FNP. Also thinking about adding heavy bolters to his Servo-automata

1 Paragon of Steel Thanatar Seige

1 Ordo Reductor Medusa Seige Tank with Phoshpex rounds!

I am very much opposed spending so many points on Adsecularis. Spending 25 points to improve their FNP from 6+ to 5+ (on a T3 model remember), when you can get 10 more guys for 35 points just seems idiotic to me. Spending points to make their crap BS2 guns fire twice also seems insane, especially when combining with Rite that prevents you even shooting Overwatch. I take them as barebones with nothing but Rite so they don't run. 50 points for 10 guys that can huddle on an objective and never run away is as good as Mechanicum can get for cheap scoring.

Not sure if you noticed that they are relentless, so they can bounce around with their heavy guns. People often recommend them as tank hunters, but they frankly did poorly in this role for me. 1 multi-melta and two lightning guns often accomplished far less than just giving them melta-bombs. I run my Thallax as a flexible toolbox. I give them a plasma fusil, and they do a scary number on infantry when combined with their -2 to cover, and mainly just shoot at max range and use the jet packs to jump back out of assault range. If you are deep striking them to go after rear/side armour, the three S6 shots from the plasma fusil are often better against light armoured targets than one S8 from the multimelta. Meltabombs handle heavier vehicles.

I also really like the Ferox upgrade, but it's a shame you can't upgrade the weapons with it. In larger games my unit of 6 thallax with two fusils, heavy chainblades and Ferox upgrade really did a number on some stuff.

Edited by Terminus

Not sure if you noticed that they are relentless, so they can bounce around with their heavy guns. People often recommend them as tank hunters, but they frankly did poorly in this role for me. 1 multi-melta and two lightning guns often accomplished far less than just giving them melta-bombs. I run my Thallax as a flexible toolbox. I give them a plasma fusil, and they do a scary number on infantry when combined with their -2 to cover, and mainly just shoot at max range and use the jet packs to jump back out of assault range. If you are deep striking them to go after rear/side armour, the three S6 shots from the plasma fusil are often better against light armoured targets than one S8 from the multimelta. Meltabombs handle heavier vehicles.

I also really like the Ferox upgrade, but it's a shame you can't upgrade the weapons with it. In larger games my unit of 6 thallax with two fusils, heavy chainblades and Ferox upgrade really did a number on some stuff.

Yeah, I agonized over the setup of my Thallax. Currently I have 12, 2 with Phonton Thrusters and 2 with MM. I wish it was easier to get the Plasma Fusil arms, heck you can't even find knockoffs on Ebay.

I am very much opposed spending so many points on Adsecularis. Spending 25 points to improve their FNP from 6+ to 5+ (on a T3 model remember), when you can get 10 more guys for 35 points just seems idiotic to me. Spending points to make their crap BS2 guns fire twice also seems insane, especially when combining with Rite that prevents you even shooting Overwatch. I take them as barebones with nothing but Rite so they don't run. 50 points for 10 guys that can huddle on an objective and never run away is as good as Mechanicum can get for cheap scoring.

I have to admit - I didn't see that they were Relentless. I'll double check when I get back home tonight, but I'm sure I couldn't see it as a USR nor as part of the equipment. I'll probably being short-sighted - but makes these guys a lot more viable and deadly (and very likely to hop into my shopping basket before the £100 free shipping period ends in a couple of days time!). 

Cheers!

2 3 man(bot) castellax, 2 3 bot vorax, 1 thanatar with paragon of metal, lightning for AA and 2 cheap magos dominus to keep the cortex bubble up and cyberthurge.

Outflank the vorax, let the castellax march up the field and keep the thanatar in back blowing :censored: up put MM or darkfire on the castellax for extra anti armour if needs be. Voila, roughly 1850 points of stompy mc death robots that are damn hard to kill.

Lists like this no longer work because robots no longer can score, even if they are troops. You are forced to take thralls or thallax in order to get objectives :sad.:

Cheers!

Outflank the vorax, let the castellax march up the field and keep the thanatar in back blowing :censored: up put MM or darkfire on the castellax for extra anti armour if needs be. Voila, roughly 1850 points of stompy mc death robots that are damn hard to kill.

Lists like this no longer work because robots no longer can score, even if they are troops. You are forced to take thralls or thallax in order to get objectives :sad.:

And Scyllax are scoring units too!

I have to admit - I didn't see that they were Relentless. I'll double check when I get back home tonight, but I'm sure I couldn't see it as a USR nor as part of the equipment. I'll probably being short-sighted - but makes these guys a lot more viable and deadly (and very likely to hop into my shopping basket before the £100 free shipping period ends in a couple of days time!).

They are Jet Pack Infantry, not Jump Infantry. Like Tau battlesuits, they are Relentless and can move 2D6 in the Assault Phase. Great for shooting at something and bouncing back into cover/out of LoS.

I would just like to express some love for the Krios Venator.

Everyone loves the Legion Venator, a 13/12/12 H3 fast tank with 2 S10 AP1 ordnance attacks. The Krios Venator is a (15/14)/12/10 H3 fast tank with 4 S9 AP2 ordnance attacks for 40 points less! And it gets blessed autosimulacra on top. They are probably the best anti-tank shooting option in the faction. Graviton secutors are brutal too, but after a Triaros to actually get them in range, that's 50 points more than TWO Krios Venators. 

Given that I rarely use allies with Mechanicum, and the changes to Cybernetika units, I'm finding it hard to build a list without Cult Cybernetika allies (Magos with relic in a castellax maniple, a maniple of vorax, and paragon thanatar). Not only is it fluffy as all get out, it gives me another heavy support slot.

I would just like to express some love for the Krios Venator.

Everyone loves the Legion Venator, a 13/12/12 H3 fast tank with 2 S10 AP1 ordnance attacks. The Krios Venator is a (15/14)/12/10 H3 fast tank with 4 S9 AP2 ordnance attacks for 40 points less! And it gets blessed autosimulacra on top. They are probably the best anti-tank shooting option in the faction. Graviton secutors are brutal too, but after a Triaros to actually get them in range, that's 50 points more than TWO Krios Venators. 

Given that I rarely use allies with Mechanicum, and the changes to Cybernetika units, I'm finding it hard to build a list without Cult Cybernetika allies (Magos with relic in a castellax maniple, a maniple of vorax, and paragon thanatar). Not only is it fluffy as all get out, it gives me another heavy support slot.

Plus it becomes a scoring unit if inside your opponants deployment zone (not that you'd want an Ordnance tank to get that close) if you run the Ordo Reductor unique FOC, too!

On a related note to the above, can different Mechanicum lists ally with each other (i.e. Cybernetica with Reductor using the AOD FOC; Questoris with Reductor/Cybernetica/Tahgmata)? I couldn't see anything in the book to indicate this is the case, and so thought they could only ally with Imperial Army or the various Legion factions?

I think the best thing about Mechanicum is how they are the perfect Allies for the Legions. Every one of them has Sworn Brothers or Fellow Warriors, so no negatives at all. And if you look over all the Rites of War, most only disallow Legion allies.

Making it thematic works with Allies too. Legio Cybernetica allies take a Magos Dominus, Castellax, Vorax and a Thanatar. Ordo Reductor allies take a Magos Reductor, Thallax and any of the Elite/FA/HS options from their mini-list.

As for Allying with itself, not sure. This came up a lot in 6th edition, before multiple Force Org Charts. Age of Darkness is still an "old school" FOC, so possibly not? But I really don't see it being an issue if you want to.

• 1 month later...

The Eye of Horus Podcast boys put the Mechanicum back at the front of my mind. While Legio Cybernetica took a hit, they have absolutely everything in the Taghmata list available to them now, so they still work. Add in the +1 Initiative for all units with a Cybernetica Cortex, 24" range Cortex Controllers, and 24" range on Cybertheurgy and I reckon they're awesome! Initiative 7 Vorax with 4 S6 Rending attacks on the charge? Sweet.

Ordo Reductor obviously looks very strong now. Krios were always good, but with all Tanks scoring now (in opponents zone), they are even better. Artillery Batteries are brilliantly cheap - seriously consider taking Hyperios Whirlwinds as a cheap and effective anti-air unit. Demolisher cannons are your budget option, Medusa cannons for anti-everything and Mars-Colossus bombards are the best option for wiping out massed squads of Marines (if you face World Eaters, for instance). Matrix of Ruin FOC is interesting, if you capitalise on it - ignoring Difficult & Dangerous Terrain is awesome, but you might miss the 3rd HQ slot.

Thanatar-Cynis model cannot drop fast enough. That thing will end units. :)

Have been slowly putting together a Mechanicum force, but the Ordo Reductor list really tempts. Especially the 1-3 Minotaur Squadron. 3 of those and a load of (scoring!) Krios Tanks will make quite a nice Armoured force. Add in lots of Thallax and some Myrmidon's in the Triarios and I'm sorted!

Edited by zedmeister