Wow, that's a big call Terminus. The Thanatar-Calix is the most useless unit IMHO. The Secutors are not bad though. Tough little things with a variety of roles.

But I see what you mean about Domitars. Didn't notice how badly they compare to Siege Wrecker Castellax. Same damage ouput but +1WS and D3 HoW for 50 points more is not great. :/

All they really need to change on him is make him a Jump Mostrous Creature.

He'd no longer be slow which is the main problem with him, has cheap access to Flakk Missiles and hits like a Truck in CC.

That said, hes much more suited to hunting other MC's and the like.

Edited by Slipstreams

JMC would be awesome, and they don't even have a model concept yet, so here's hoping. He could then run with Ursarax and flanking Vorax for assault-focused lists.

And okay, I concede the point, Calix is indeed the dumbest thing in the book. It really just needed a much better main gun for that cost.

Edited by Terminus

Thats all thats really needed to fix him and to sufficiently differentiate him from the currently-a-better-option of Siege Wrecker Castellax.

Coupled with his Flakk Missile Launcher and he'd be capable, were it necessary, to possibly get rear-armor shots on aircraft thanks to his mobility.

Its 1pt lol might as well take it on the EXCEEDINGLY rare chance that you might actually make use of such an opportunity.

Edited by Slipstreams

Hmmm, what about comboing the Domitar with Cybertheurgy? Without running the cortica relic, a lone Legio Cybernetica Paragon of Metal Domitar might not make the worst target. There's risk of Malifica but that's not so bad here.

Rite of Destruction plus Rampage from PoM gives it 6+D3 S10 AP2 attacks vs most things on the charge, at I4, plus D3 S7 HoW.

It's still not that great, but let's say the model is super cool when it comes out and some of us are weak to cool and end up with one? I guess that's how I'd run it if I had to?

Well, they potty-train quite easily, so you just got to keep them fed and hydrated, and take them on occasional walks to burn off extra energy so they don't take it out on your shoes. :P

Cheapest way would be taghmata allies with a cheap HQ (~100 pts), adsecularis unit (~50 pts), and then Thanatar.

He can join the Thanatar because of the Patris Cybernetica rule - it's an exception to the normal restrictions regarding Monstrous Creatures.

Technically, they reference unit of Monstrous Creatures. If there's only a single one, it's not plural and thus not eligible, although that's a pedantry I wouldn't go down except in a theoretical discussion on a forum.

Besides they look way cooler in squads of two or more anyway!

On the topic of Thanatars I'm looking at making either two Thanatar or two Thanatar Cynis to run as a unit with my Dark Mech. Any particular commentary as to why take one over the other? Both have plentiful plasma which is enough reason for me to take them.

Standard Thanatar.

Cynis while it has more shots only has 18" Range.

I'd much prefer the 48" 5" Barrage Plasma Shot of the basic Thanatar since its less at risk of getting tied up in CC; its main weakness despite being S8 Ap2 in combat.

Standard Thanatar.

Cynis while it has more shots only has 18" Range.

I'd much prefer the 48" 5" Barrage Plasma Shot of the basic Thanatar since its less at risk of getting tied up in CC; its main weakness despite being S8 Ap2 in combat.

Fair points, are the Thanatar really that bad in combat though? what about with a combat oriented Magos on board?

or is it again best if joining a Magos in to have him based around range to?

Yeah, keep the Dominus a ranged build, or with no additional gear at all. Thanatar doesn't want to see combat - trust me.

And you don't really need 2. Start with the basics, like Terminus suggested: a Magos Dominus, a Troops choice and a Thanatar. I'd invest in a unit of 2 Castellax for your Troops, as then you have the Legio Cybernetica bonuses and you're not spending points on top of the Thanatar just to use him; you also get some extra stompy robots.

Honestly even a Castallax isn't that great in combat thanks to the low WS and I3... by itself. You unlock the full potential of robots when you use tech wizard powers on them ontop of the legio cybernetica rules. A squad of vorax? Eh. But if they are I5 and have +2 attacks things get interesting.