• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
With a potential narrative campaign day coming up in which one cannot use named characters, I'm thinking through a replacement HQ choice for Scoria. I'm leaning towards an Archmagos Dominus (with another two Domini as standard), but my debate is over how best to equip them. Leaning towards Abeyant, Machinator Array, Cyber-familiar, and then it becomes slightly more open! Any thoughts from the collective as to what would be worth considering?

I find the photon thruster is spendy, but on a magos dominus that is usually in the rear lines it gives him some utility. Especially when he's parked with some dark fires. The array and cyber familiar are a must, but the Abyent less so.

I find the photon thruster is spendy, but on a magos dominus that is usually in the rear lines it gives him some utility. Especially when he's parked with some dark fires. The array and cyber familiar are a must, but the Abyent less so.

I'd definitely be tempted to gear him more towards shooting (and mending!) a larger Castellax Dark Fire squad, my only thought re: the Abeyant was making the Magos more survivable, but naturally - it does push up the cost. 

I'd just take another Domini, save points for more robots. Arch-Domini don't have good melee options and are only marginally better at Cybertheurgy (Ld10 instead of 9). 

Interesting - in terms of points saved, it might enable me to split the Thallax squad (was thinking of a six strong one, just as another scoring choice - but two three-strongs might work). I also was tempted the Archmagos Prime in terms of combat ability, but he would then only be able to run with the Thallax rather than Castellax by my understanding? I do like the idea of something that can be similar to Scoria in usage as a character, but appreciate that there's probably not a perfect direct replacement for obvious reasons!

The issue is for this campaign, I can't take any named characters - so it does have to be one of those other options! That said, I was intending to run with a further two Domini anyway, so perhaps running three similar ones might be a solution - as it's the lack of Patris Cybernetica would steer me from the Magos/Archmagos. Food for thought! 

The issue is for this campaign, I can't take any named characters - so it does have to be one of those other options! That said, I was intending to run with a further two Domini anyway, so perhaps running three similar ones might be a solution - as it's the lack of Patris Cybernetica would steer me from the Magos/Archmagos. Food for thought!

Is it possible in your campaign to use the character generator from book 4?

It starts on page 218.

Is it possible in your campaign to use the character generator from book 4?

It starts on page 218.

Worth checking out! Thanks Gorgoff! I think if I just work the rest of my list round what I'd normally want to take, this should work out fine.

If you want to go full madman mode with a generic character, build an Assassin Prime. 

Arch-Malagra w/chainfist+paragon blade, rad grenades, two meltaguns, abeyant, machinator array

I think he ends up being around 250 points with that loadout, can't quite remember. But he has a lot of attacks for a Mechanicum HQ, and can dismantle vehicles as well as characters and multi-wound annoyances. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.5k tournament coming up in about two months time, need to make some decisions. 

My current painted list is

- 3x Domini

- 6x Darkfire Castellax (three with claws, three with siege drill)

- 6x Vorax

- 2x Vultarax

- 2x Thanatars

The event doesn't restrict special characters or Primarchs, so I feel Scoria is kind of a must take (the other alternative being grav-Myrmidons in an Arvus or Triaros). 

I'm expecting a lot of multi-wound hate, given that the Arcus tank has been out for a while now, Leviathans remain as endemic as always, and Custodes are the new 'list to beat'. With that in mind, I'm strongly tempted to bench the Vorax. Even thus far against relatively normal Legion lists, they tend to die quite fast. 4+ armour and no invul is a huge liability for a combat unit, especially because with Outflank you have to wait a turn before charging. Ironically the last time I fought Custodes I killed 3 with bio rotor cannons, then charged in and died outright to their stupid '+1I if I have higher Weapon Skill'. 

I'm also strongly considering removing at least one if not both Thanatars. They're very variable performers. My concern is their removal leaves me vulnerable to mass infantry, Terminators or Biker units (the latter being a real concern because I know Ravenwing acid shells are a thing). I'll probably keep one in the list, but two is too high an investment for average performance.

The units I'm considering of subbing in are

- Homonculex and/or additional Arlatax

- Myrmidons (either to kill Primarchs or replace one of the Thanatars as backfield fire support)

- Castellax deathstar to roll with Scoria (4-5, mix in some siege wreckers, use them to tank damage until he's in melee with something). 

The Arlatax will require me to do some converting, so that's kind of time consuming. I'm also a little concerned they might not fix the problem Vorax pose, because while faster and more consistent, they still die quite fast (the FNP almost never triggers, and they are only T6). 3+/5+ is good against ranged hits, and they do hit extremely hard in melee with arc flails...but yeah, little worried they'll just eat lascannon Turn 1 and do nothing. 

Myrmidons would be going out of my Legio Cohort and I'm loathe to spend points on non-robots. However, they are extremely lethal either in a Bunker sniping with photon thrusters (the re-rolls from Preferred Enemy are brutal, as is Blind checks), or hopping out of a transport to grav imploder someone's snowflake HQ+bodyguard. 

Castellax bodyguard for Scoria is relatively easy for me, as I already have some mauler Castellax to build and I can get more cheaply (people are always selling them). It would mean being kind of reactive and needing to bait people into melee, plus I find basic Castellax really don't do much (darkfires have been great, they often never even fight in melee). Armoured Spearhead is a concern to me, because all the regular Castellax do against that list is die. 

My current thinking is go with Scoria+Castellax bodyguard, just take Homonculex as my third FA choice. That way I should only need to drop one Thanatar and the Vorax. That way my Darkfire Castellax remain free to snipe the enemy and hold down the flanks, while I advance up and bait charges. Mauler Castellax should do fine at range against most infantry, its just 2+ infantry and vehicles they suck against. I'll keep Homonculex hidden as a panic button against a drop pod Leviathan etc.

Have you considered playing to the mission? Legio Cybernetica doesn't restrict the use of Thralls, so maybe spending a minimal amount of points on Scoring Units will help you achieve more. You should be able to cripple the enemy and then hold objectives with soms Thralls.

Your last suggestion is on the money. Drop a Thanatar and the Vorax, put Scoria in a big unit of Castellax, the Darkfire Castellax on either flank, the Thanatar nearby in cover, Vulturax buzz around and murderate, and plonk Thralls on a couple of objectives.

Have you considered playing to the mission? Legio Cybernetica doesn't restrict the use of Thralls, so maybe spending a minimal amount of points on Scoring Units will help you achieve more. You should be able to cripple the enemy and then hold objectives with soms Thralls.

It is an option, but I hate the Tech-Thrall models and have yet to convert alternatives. Most of the time though I either play to wipeout or I kill all enemy scoring and nullify objectives being an issue.

Your last suggestion is on the money. Drop a Thanatar and the Vorax, put Scoria in a big unit of Castellax, the Darkfire Castellax on either flank, the Thanatar nearby in cover, Vulturax buzz around and murderate, and plonk Thralls on a couple of objectives.  

Probably will be the way I go. I am torn between just converting up some Domitars (like most people do) or waiting for the official model for Arlatax. Castellax will have to do for now.