ok nerds.... new to mechanicum but not heresy and already running into a few q's...

Please help a nerd in need!

I have 2 list ideas 1 cyber and 1 ordo and hoping to alternate between each and love the vukturax model and will be running 2 in the cyber.

Are they worth it in the ordo with the lack of cyber range? If not, what's the anti-spartan outside of lightning? If I do, should I place the Dominus in a castalax unit?

HQ for my cyber will be Inar Satarael I think. Is he best staying at base camp with some darkfire castalax? there will be 2 other naked Dominus for the thergy.

In the ordo, thinking of a pimped up archmagos reductor with PB as I want some combat business... is he a wise choice for this in a triaros with murmadons?

Thanks in advance guys.. guide me in the ways of the omissah!!

I have 2 list ideas 1 cyber and 1 ordo and hoping to alternate between each and love the vukturax model and will be running 2 in the cyber. 

Are they worth it in the ordo with the lack of cyber range? If not, what's the anti-spartan outside of lightning? If I do, should I place the Dominus in a castalax unit?

HQ for my cyber will be Inar Satarael I think. Is he best staying at base camp with some darkfire castalax? there will be 2 other naked Dominus for the thergy.

In the ordo, thinking of a pimped up archmagos reductor with PB as I want some combat business... is he a wise choice for this in a triaros with murmadons?

Thanks in advance guys.. guide me in the ways of the omissah!! 

Legio Cybernetica should be all the robots, all the time. 

Ordo Reductor is all the tanks (as they become scoring in the enemy DZ), all the time. Martix of Ruin every day.

If you want anti-Spartan/Superheavy in your Reductor list, take Secutarii Hoplites in an Arvus Lighter. It's cheap and annoying. Alternatively you can run the Hoplites in a Triaros, its just a bit more vulnerable to screening or getting shot down on the way in.

Satarael is fun, he's best kept away from the enemy so yeah camping with some Darkfire Castellax is a good idea. Don't forget to buy his cyber-occularis, its cheap Interceptor bubbles. Two additional Dominus is a good idea, you'll want three powers a turn (as you normally fail at least one). 

Triaros is a good choice, and yeah roll him with Myrmidon Destructors (Secutors are kinda outclassed by other options these days, but Destructors are still insanely good, and in Matrix of Ruin you have four Heavy slots so they don't compete with your Krios Venator squadrons or Siege Batteries as much). 

After playing with ideas I think I'm going to go ordo and have 1 vulturax.

Although yes, hoplites haywire seem good, I can't justify titan guard in an army without a titan. Just seems a little poor story wise.

Yes I will be using all 4 heavy slots - 2 with destructor in triaros, 1 with 2x medusa and 1 with 2x venators

Sagittar will be l.o.w yet will do a knight to as I'm sure not everyone will want to face the ordinatus!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I've got an event in December and I'm a bit bored of Custodes, so I've been working on a Mechanicum list.

As I'm on a tight deadline and budget this is the list I've gone for. I picked up the Krios, Macrocarid, Triaros, Thallax and Myrmidons for £250 from a friend that got bored of the army so that was handy (still legit Forgeworld too).

The idea is to keep the big guns rolling as long as possible, heavy bolters and machine spirit meaning the artillery tanks can keep moving and firing as long as possible. Calleb lets me take a Macrocarid as a dedicated transport which means I can cram my heavy support full of tanks and Myrmidons.

++ Matrix of Ruin (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [2498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Reductor Calleb Decima [530pts]: Cyber-familiar, Decima Invictus

. Macrocarid Explorator: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Graviton Imploder, Two irradiation engines

+ Troops +

Secutarii Hoplite Phalanx [337pts]: Arc Lance, Kyropatris field generator, Mag-inverter Shield, 15x Secutarii Hoplite, Secutarii war plate, Triaros Armoured Conveyor

. Secutarii Alpha: Arc Lance

Secutarii Peltast Phalanx [131pts]: 10x Secutarii

. Secutarii Alpha: Galvanic Caster

Thallax Cohort [160pts]: Photon Thruster, 3x Thallax

+ Heavy Support +

Krios Battle Tank Squadron [300pts]: Krios Venator Tank Destroyer, Krios Venator Tank Destroyer

Myrmidon Destructors [240pts]: 2x Graviton Imploder, 2x Myrmidon Destructor

. Myrmidon Lord: Graviton Imploder

Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery [320pts]: Medusa cannons

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Heavy Bolter, Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, Machine Spirit

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Heavy Bolter, Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, Machine Spirit

Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery [320pts]: Demolisher cannons

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Auxiliary Drive, Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter, Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, Machine Spirit, Siege Plating

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Auxiliary Drive, Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter, Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, Machine Spirit, Siege Plating

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Loyalist

Legio: Ordo Reductor

++ Total: [2498pts]

Right, I've got an event in December and I'm a bit bored of Custodes, so I've been working on a Mechanicum list.

As I'm on a tight deadline and budget this is the list I've gone for. I picked up the Krios, Macrocarid, Triaros, Thallax and Myrmidons for £250 from a friend that got bored of the army so that was handy (still legit Forgeworld too).

The idea is to keep the big guns rolling as long as possible, heavy bolters and machine spirit meaning the artillery tanks can keep moving and firing as long as possible. Calleb lets me take a Macrocarid as a dedicated transport which means I can cram my heavy support full of tanks and Myrmidons.

++ Matrix of Ruin (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [2498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Reductor Calleb Decima [530pts]: Cyber-familiar, Decima Invictus

. Macrocarid Explorator: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Graviton Imploder, Two irradiation engines

+ Troops +

Secutarii Hoplite Phalanx [337pts]: Arc Lance, Kyropatris field generator, Mag-inverter Shield, 15x Secutarii Hoplite, Secutarii war plate, Triaros Armoured Conveyor

. Secutarii Alpha: Arc Lance

Secutarii Peltast Phalanx [131pts]: 10x Secutarii

+ Heavy Support +

Krios Battle Tank Squadron [300pts]: Krios Venator Tank Destroyer, Krios Venator Tank Destroyer

Myrmidon Destructors [240pts]: 2x Graviton Imploder, 2x Myrmidon Destructor

. Myrmidon Lord: Graviton Imploder

Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery [320pts]: Demolisher cannons

+ Allegiance +

++ Total: [2498pts]

if my memory serves you need a secutari HQ in there

• 4 weeks later...

This is the updated version I'll be running.

++ Matrix of Ruin (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [2995pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Reductor Calleb Decima [500pts]: Cyber-familiar, Decima Invictus

. Macrocarid Explorator: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Lascannon, Two Twin-linked Lascannons

+ Troops +

Secutarii Peltast Phalanx [255pts]: 9x Secutarii, Triaros Armoured Conveyor

Secutarii Peltast Phalanx [255pts]: 9x Secutarii, Triaros Armoured Conveyor

+ Fast Attack +

Crusade Fleet Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [185pts]: Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles

+ Heavy Support +

Krios Battle Tank Squadron [465pts]

. Krios Venator Tank Destroyer: Extra Armour

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Machine Spirit, Siege Plating, Twin-Linked Bolter

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Machine Spirit, Siege Plating, Twin-Linked Bolter

Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery [405pts]: Demolisher cannons

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Extra Armour, Machine Spirit, Siege Plating, Twin-Linked Bolter

. Ordo Reductor Artillery: Extra Armour, Machine Spirit, Siege Plating, Twin-Linked Bolter

Ordo Reductor Artillery Tank Battery [290pts]: Dual Melta cannons

+ Allegiance +

++ Total: [2995pts]

I'd only be swapping the Peltasts for Hoplites dude. Adsecularis don't do anything except die and bog down dangerous enemy elites. Hoplites bog down, nuke vehicles insanely well, and they're quite annoying to kill (especially if you go 15+ size squads so the Kyropatris is active longer). Hoplites are especially nice in Reductor because Walkers in Ruin means they don't care about Dangerous Terrain at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm looking to make a nice 1K force of Mechanicum for a ZM campaign that is kicking off in the new year.

While our personal restrictions are a single unit of Monstrous Creatures, this is not stopping me from bringing the powerful LEGIO CYBERNETICA!

Currently thinking of something like this...

=========================

HQ

• Magos Dominus - HELP ME DECIDE

TROOPS

• 3 Castellax Battle-Automata: 2x Dark Fire Cannons & Flamers, 1x Multi Melta, Siege Wrecker & Flamers - 3 Enhanced Targetting Arrays
  • 10 Tech Thralls: Heavy Chainblades, Carapce Armour, Revenant Alchemistry, The Rite of Pure Thought
  • 6 Thallax - HELP ME DECIDE

=========================

So I'm currently sat at 865 points with no gear on the Thallax or Magos, what would people suggest?

I've gone with a Dominus so I can get some Cyberthurgy in there and also because an Archmagos Dominus is probably too many points, leaving me with only 55 for his & the Thallax' gear. That said, if people think an Archmagos is much better i'm willing to be swayed!

Fair enough!

What else can you suggest on the other units taking that into account?

I figured fearless/ FNP5+ and carapace may help them a little at least!

You would probably be better off just taking more Thralls than upgrading them. Also the elite choice tech priest sqd can give them fnp as well.

Thallax don't seem much better than a solid objective grabber 4 is about as tough as a tac squad overall, but you could probably get away with units of 3 with no upgrades as well.

So you think a couple smaller Thallax squads might be better?

In my most recent ZM games with Ad Mech, I utilised two larger Thallax squads - and they did well! I think the problem from a choice perspective was that I only have Lightning Gun armed Thallax - which naturally places a limitation on their damage output, both in terms of range and combat potential. I used Thralls in the usual manner, as a disposable speed-bump and basically tried to play to the objectives of each mission.

Rather hilariously, in one of the games - my (naturally) combat-orientated Domitar couldn't make it through doorways - and so basically wasted quite a few points, but as the only Elite option I had with me, it was all I could use! (That struggled also given the number of AP negating weapons, lack of an invulnerable definitely hurt it - am I correct in saying that?)

I think Castellax would definitely help as a core choice - and from being on the receiving end in past, Myrmidon Destructors were also very powerful! Investing in the combat potential of whichever HQ option you want to utilise is probably worthwhile too, especially if he's being accompanied by Thallax (or whatever you decide).

Cheers!

I've got one of each special weapon for the Thallax (and as they are un-built, am happy to convert some with Chainblades!) so I have the resources.

Sure I could run just two robots to save points but where is the fun in that... Though, I guess I could make my magos as tough as one if I dropped one down... Hmm...

The best unit in ZM for Legio Cybernetica is hands down Vorax. They're disgusting in that format, you tear through Marines like a blowtorch with a 6-strong unit. Wouldn't bother with Domitars, they're too slow and can be tied up by infantry really easily. Siege Wrecker Castellax also do their job anyway, and you need them for your 1 Troops choice. 

If you're playing Taghmata/Reductor, Myrmidon Destructors and Thallax are the way to go. They don't need transports, and having devastating close-range firepower is exactly what ZM is all about (melee is good too, but enhanced Overwatch can screw you over). Reductor Arch-Magi are also pretty good in ZM due to their better combat stats, same for Malagra.

Tech-Thralls can be useful for bogging down enemy infantry (especially Terminators), but if you need to cut stuff you can cut them out. Most ZM fights boil down to who can room clear faster. Fights are much more broken up and skirmish style, you rarely have more than a few squads that can fight the same target.

The unique problem I face is that I'd like to run Cybernetica, but we are imposing a 0-1 MC units limit in our campaign (which is fair enough) so it's Castellax or bust, unless I am the attacker in which case I have no "Compulsory Troops" that need to be taken up by the Legion of Steel rule, but then I only own 3 Vorax...!

So I'm trying to keep it fluffy and Cybernetica-y within my limitations :)