If you can you'd want a chainfist on him as youve gone Malagra. S10 Armourbane is nasty.

While I agree on on the chainfist, isn't the magos prime only S4?

Could be, might need an Abeyant or something to be S5, I forget.

I would put him with the Darkfires to have one bigger squad walking down the middle to support the faster units.

I'd be careful then, you really don't want them stuck in combat when they're so powerful at shooting. I suppose the advantage is they do both well, being MC. Let us know how it goes!

You'll probably want both the Abeyant and Machinator Array on all your Domini where possible, simply for the benefits with regard to survivability and fixing robots! Naturally, as they boost your combat prowess too - it's also more broadly worthwhile, especially if you're playing aggressively with the robots they are attached to.

I don't have my Mechanicum book to hand, but the Prime can't join the Castellax can he? Or does he have the Patris Cybernetica rule? Also Machinator array and Abeyant are the options to go for, the extra toughness, wound, 2 power axe attacks with shred, nightvision, flamer and inferno pistol are so handy to have.

I don't have my Mechanicum book to hand, but the Prime can't join the Castellax can he? Or does he have the Patris Cybernetica rule? Also Machinator array and Abeyant are the options to go for, the extra toughness, wound, 2 power axe attacks with shred, nightvision, flamer and inferno pistol are so handy to have.

Sadly no, as he doesn't have the patris cybernetica rule, which is a real shame.

I also looked it up, the only magos with S5 is the reductor one.

Good point, i've never used a Paragon of Metal.

Edit: on a completely different tangent, I've got an event coming up soon that is extremely comped. It's pure infantry (Spaartanax Infantrycide if anyone is interested). I don't want the list to be too harsh as it's a narrative event, so I've gone with a Myrmidon cult. The idea is having one unit of Myrmidons for each problem, terminators, marines and light infantry. I've got a lot to paint for this event as my Cybernetica army is...infantry light.

++ Crusade (Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List) [1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magos Prime [315pts]: Archmagos Prime, Cortex Controller, Cyber-familiar, Cyber-occularis, Machinator Array, Mastercraft a single weapon, Myrmidax, Paragon Blade, 2x Photon Thruster, Rad Grenades

+ Elites +

Myrmidon Secutors [240pts]

. Myrmidon Lord: 2x Phased Plasma-fusil

. Myrmidon Secutor: 2x Phased Plasma-fusil

. Myrmidon Secutor: 2x Phased Plasma-fusil

Myrmidon Secutors [180pts]

. Myrmidon Lord: 2x Maxima Bolter

. Myrmidon Secutor: 2x Maxima Bolter

. Myrmidon Secutor: 2x Maxima Bolter

+ Troops +

Secutarii Peltast Phalanx [175pts]: 14x Secutarii

. Secutarii Alpha: Galvanic Caster

Thallax Cohort [175pts]: 3x Heavy Chainblade, Photon Thruster, 3x Thallax

Thallax Cohort [175pts]: 3x Heavy Chainblade, Photon Thruster, 3x Thallax

+ Heavy Support +

Myrmidon Destructors [240pts]

. Myrmidon Destructor: Photon Thruster Cannon

. Myrmidon Destructor: Photon Thruster Cannon

. Myrmidon Lord: Photon Thruster Cannon

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Traitor

Legio: Taghmata Omnissiah

++ Total: [1500pts]

Edited by Rabidbunneh

I don't really see the point in the cortex controller, as you don't have any units that would benefit from it.

If you don't have the models already, have you thought about swapping the bolter myrmidon with some volkite destructors? They are only 30 points more, but have a way bigger range, allowing them to contribute from the beginning.

I don't really see the point in the cortex controller, as you don't have any units that would benefit from it.

If you don't have the models already, have you thought about swapping the bolter myrmidon with some volkite destructors? They are only 30 points more, but have a way bigger range, allowing them to contribute from the beginning.

The models are still unmade so that could work. I'll drop the controller, that was in an older version where I had some scyllax in the list, I totally forgot it was there.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna bump this up, sorry for the double post.

What so people think of the Thanatar Cynis? I've run one for a few games (I took one to Throne of Skulls a few weeks ago) and it was brutal in my Cybernetica list. While it's not had much luck down my local club, at this event it was killing so much it felt a bit too strong. To recap;

Game 1; loss on objectives against space wolves. It killed a Command squad and knocked 3 wounds off a Praetor who I didn't realise had Eternal warrior before killing one deathsworn in combat before getting rolled.

Game 2; I played against an armoured imperial fist player, I can't remember the guys name but he is on the phosphex party podcast, it killed 10 veterans turn 1, then tanked so much for the rest of the game

Game 3; 10 Veterans and 4/5ths of Alpharius. It then tanked the majority of the shots for the rest of the game

Game 4; This was a bit brutal, the guy had drop pod word bearers, so the Thanatar had a field day picking and choosing where to blast to hell. It ate 5 Gal Vorbak, a Chaplain that charged it in the turn when it couldn't shoot, then 7 plasma support marines and 2 wounds off Lorgar.

Game 5; it did 3 wounds to a Domitar, killed a Thanatar on the other side of the board and something like 15 Tech Thralls that were screening the Thanatar.

When I first started making the model to use, I was a bit concerned about the short range, but it feels like you lose one turn of shooting because of the range, but more than make up for it. Rite of Destruction turns it's potential up to insane levels.

It's a gnarly robot and can certainly bring the pain. I imagine the reason you don't see it more is the lack of model (for some... reason). 8 Blasts of S8 AP2 is insanity though. However quite a potential for Gets Hot! though?

Yeah it is very prone to dice swings, but when you put out 8 shots you generally get 6 off, which I've found to be enough to either delete or seriously cripple most units.

8 shots because of the techno sourcery?

2 Plasma Ejectors with 2 Shots each. Rite of Destruction Cybernetica (Techno Sorcery) doubles it :D

Horrible.

Again I asked myself why Mechanicum hasn't been nerfed.

2 Plasma Ejectors with 2 Shots each. Rite of Destruction Cybernetica (Techno Sorcery) doubles it :biggrin.:

Horrible.

Remember, while powerful it isn't Guaranteed (leadership check with -1 needs to be passed) and it can go horribly wrong, turning your loyal robot into a rampaging murder bot with disregard for it's own and others life. Plus, if successful the Cynis cannot shoot next turn at all.

2 Plasma Ejectors with 2 Shots each. Rite of Destruction Cybernetica (Techno Sorcery) doubles it :biggrin.:

Horrible.

Happy Robot Times !!

giphy.gif

2 Plasma Ejectors with 2 Shots each. Rite of Destruction Cybernetica (Techno Sorcery) doubles it :D
Horrible.

:D Bear in mind that you also lose the next turn shooting. It's one massive burst of firepower and then hope whatever you shot at is dead. It's also almost the same price as a Gallant.

But yeah it's pretty brutal.

I would tend not to ‘double tap’ via Cyberthurgy, just because of the inherent risk and losing a turn of shooting - but I could see the value in that against a Deathstar or similar where that might be worth the odds to weaken or eradicate the unit!

Horrible.

It's only 18" range and it has Lumbering Advance, by the time it gets into range of anything it'll probably get smashed.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: on a completely different tangent, I've got an event coming up soon that is extremely comped. It's pure infantry (Spaartanax Infantrycide if anyone is interested). I don't want the list to be too harsh as it's a narrative event, so I've gone with a Myrmidon cult. The idea is having one unit of Myrmidons for each problem, terminators, marines and light infantry. I've got a lot to paint for this event as my Cybernetica army is...infantry light.

Looking back at this Rabidbunneh, I'm thinking that the Myrmidon Cult might be something fun to build - how have you found them to run? I think my only debate would be how to equip Destructors now - whether people are still using Grav, or one of the other options?

Looking back at this Rabidbunneh, I'm thinking that the Myrmidon Cult might be something fun to build - how have you found them to run? I think my only debate would be how to equip Destructors now - whether people are still using Grav, or one of the other options?

I didn't go in the end, work and life got busy so I didn't have the time/energy to paint.