Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any 3d rendering designers here?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

AlphariusOmegon108

AlphariusOmegon108

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Location:Veenendaal, Holland, Europe, Planet earth, Solarsystem
  • Chapter Name: Scythes of the emperor
heyo!

I am slowly looking into getting into 3d designing fo miniature companies etc, and am just looking for some advice!

What is your favourite 3d rendering program for miniature sized rednerings? It doesnt directly have (to be a 3d printing program! Just a 3d sculpting programm ^^

So please, if you have ANY advice or experiences, feel free to share :D

(Btw, mods, if this is posted in the wrong place, please move it to a more apropiate place, this was just the best place I could find for this tread)

Greetings!

Check out my commision work on facebook:  https://www.facebook.../DeamonsAtWork/

feel free to shoot me a PM with guestions or with commisions you want to have done smile.png

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Space Truckin

Space Truckin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 916 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels / Black Legion

Have no clue about what software packages are preferred by miniature wargaming industry and doubt there is a single software that is preferred.  It's just a tool and everyone has their own favorites for various reasons.

I started out with a CAD background with  AutoCAD then quickly moved over to SolidWorks designing parts for microscopes in 97-98 till 2012.   Along the way  I transitioned to Maya and Z-Brush ( more for sculpting ) for 3d Design and animation.

3DS max and Cinema 4D are also very popular and all of this carries over to the gaming industry too.

Just about every software package can be exported for 3d printing if that is your objective.  The main thing is to get your thinking and designing in 3 dimensions.  

I'd also recommend checking with dedicated 3d design forums like Polycount.com

• AlphariusOmegon108 likes this

He felt anger grow within him, driving out the sense of bewilderment. His life had been rendered meaningless. His people had been betrayed. His world had been stolen. Even the Dark Angels had been destroyed. Ten thousand years of tradition ended here. There were no more bold huntsmen of the plains for the sky warriors to recruit.
The chapter might continue, but its heritage had been destroyed – it would never be the same again. Two Heads Talking was of the last generation of Space Marines recruited from the plains people. There would be no more.

AlphariusOmegon108

AlphariusOmegon108

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Location:Veenendaal, Holland, Europe, Planet earth, Solarsystem
  • Chapter Name: Scythes of the emperor

Alright thanks! I am aspiring to slowly start the 3d sculpting and just get good at it (It will probably take years, and I am fully okay and happy with that ^^)

Check out my commision work on facebook:  https://www.facebook.../DeamonsAtWork/

feel free to shoot me a PM with guestions or with commisions you want to have done smile.png

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,018 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors Legion (XCIII)

As you probably heard me say at the Amsterdam open day, Forge World use Catia for their tanks and things, and it is indeed very practical for industrial design and stuff. Solidworks called also be quite good. However, they are both very expensive dry.png  For starting out, Google Sketchup can provide a very small starting ground, but you'll want to steer clear of it quite fast. Otherwise, Blender (which is Freeware smile.png ) might work, though that is mainly used for 3D animation.

Look forward to seeing your work smile.png

cephalopod

cephalopod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 223 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Fists

Hey I have tons of advice.  I am trying to design a mini game.  I strongly suggest zbrush and about a year of study.  Pixalogics classroom tuturials.   You can 3D print your master design then resin mold the rest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users