WarriorFish

Great to see you vowing Quneitra, the entrants list has been updated once more :)

If everyone could double check it to confirm that there are no mistakes in the list that would be a great help. The ranks in (brackets) signify that there are "open" vows that haven't been fully completed, so that means further promotions are available. This doesn't reflect any non-vows though, i.e. if you haven't made a secondary vow as part of the Heroes event it doesn't mark any potential promotions missed out on (as by not vowing you don't have the potential promotions!).

Either is fine, but generally best to post up updates as you have them I find. Easier for people to notice your work and comment on it smile.png

I, WarriorFish, of the 144th Arukan, do hereby vow to complete 1 Platoon Commander from Codex: Astra Militarum Imperial Guard for the Regiments of the B&C Heroes of the Guard challenge by the 9th October for the honour of the Regiment and the B&C.

gallery_30308_3239_5755.jpg

Through the Warp, to near and far,

To Tallarn, Lethe and Ultramar,

The Emperor points and we obey,

Through the Warp and far away.

Welcome aboard nismo, a couple of good models. Very nice use of wire too, I'm looking forward to seeing these done smile.png We seem to have quite the faithful turn out, must be the fruits of Meh's labours tongue.png

It is but the fruit of the Emperor. I am only the humble gardner.

Story for Jundi Haitham Abdul-Aziz:

He gazed around as he got up from the ground, dazed from the latest attack. He shook all over, still trying to process everything that had happened during his first battle, clutching onto his hellrifle as if it were a life preserver keeping him afloat in a sea of sharks. He quickly glanced towards his chestplate; the holy carapace armour had delivered him from harm one more. He made a mental note to give extra thanks during the night prayer, if he survived these next few minutes.

The Renegade Astartes had absconded with a battery of Whirlwinds and a stockpile of incendiary rockets from their loyal brethren - before massacring them, that is - and had been eager to use it, completely ignoring the chance of friendly fire. His squad had just been caught in the middle of a barrage, during a firefight against a strike squad of Traitor Veterans, and by some miracle he had managed to escape death. Looking around, he saw the remainder of his squad on the ground, either burnt to death or grievously injured, certain to die if they didn't get help quickly. It was just him now, just him...and that guy.

Fifty meters away from where he stood lay the bodies of the Traitor Veterans, caught in a well-coordinated crossfire that was broken only by the rocket barrage, all of them with neat, bleached holes in the ceramite shell. One still stood though, their sergeant, mimicking Haitham's movements in getting up after having been knocked down by the blastwave. Aside from the fact that it had just tried to kill Haitham, it resembled one of the blessed Astartes that fought for the Emperor Himself, except for one detail - the Holy Aquila on its chestplate had been defiled, shaped with additional bits of scrap metal to resemble a most unholy symbol. Just glancing at hit made him feel ill. Haitham raised his rifle and aimed it at the Traitor, attempting to keep it steady. "Stand back!" He yelled, in broken Low Gothic.

It laughed maliciously, unclicking the seals on its helmet, and tossing it to the ground. He instinctively winced as it loudly rang, still shaking. It regarded him with cruel, utterly evil eyes. "Mortal, your team has fought well, but paid for it with their lives. Unfortunately, you are merely that - a mortal, picked off the street gutters and thrown a rifle. Do you wish to fight me?" Its face twisted into a jeering smile, while it tossed away its bolter, unsheathing a chainsword in its place. Haitham never knew it was possible to be as frightened as this, and he could feel his body attempting to jump away from him. He yelled, trying tried to fight his instinct. "I die for Emperor and Humanity!"

It noticed Haitham's fear, and replied. "The Emperor and Imperium. What has a rotting corpse and decaying nation brought you? Hardship, and death? Let us see how strong your faith really is." And with that, it took off towards him at frightening speed, the chainsword roaring, thirsty for blood. Haitham's arms shook violently, himself unable to aim the rifle on the target. In five seconds, he'd be upon him...five...four...three...two...one...

Closing his eyes, and uttering the Declaration of Faith in preparation for death, he pulled the trigger. The rifle whined as it fired lasbolts on full automatic. The chainsword's roar became louder. A scream rung out.

Haitham opened his eyes to find it screaming in pain, staggering back under the hail of a full magazine of hot-shot lasbolts. The foul symbol was destroyed as the lasbolts punched through the ceramite around it, the metal turning into brilliant liquid brass, as it seeped into the dirtied remnants of the Aquila. It screamed louder and louder, as its internal organs liquefied, until it fell back. The rifle shut off its discharge cycle, trying to prevent the barrel from overheating. Slinging it over his back, Haitham unsheathed his khanjar dagger, creeping up to it to check if it was still alive.

Its face was contorted in sheer agony, and its eyes, wide open, stared into the distance, as if shocked that its soul had been taken so suddenly violently. He checked its pulse. It was dead. Scanning the remainder of the body with his eyes, he saw that the majority of the lasbolts had struck it in the lower abdomen. He was no doctor, but he had a basic medicae primer in field medicine, so he could tell that the shots would not have been instantly fatal, but excruciatingly painful as it shattered organs in that region. Looking back up, he found the killshots - two shot groups apiece into the chest region. Looking right below it, he fell to his knees and laughed. In the center of its chestplate was a beautiful golden Aquila, looking as if it was freshly cast, upon a seeping background of molten metal - like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

The battle ended several minutes later, with the elimination of the Renegades' chapter master.

EDIT: Proofreading stuff.

If this isn't sufficient, please let me know. smile.png

Work continues on the Treads and Thrusters Chimera with another hour logged; details, mainly Agrax Earthshade shading, are being completed. Youtube offers many videos for modern tanks and such and it seems that weathering powders are all the rage. Tanks in the future may feature these products as they are intriguing to behold. Never fear as to the weathering, though, because there will be mud. There will be mud...

After the Chimera is complete, an Ogryn will be painted for Heroes of the Guard. Hopefully he will just be akin to painting a guardsman. Maybe less rivets to deal with than a tank, too.

Timing is a funny thing, really. I received the Rogue Trader Missionaries Expansion (or some-such thing as well as the Core Rulebook) and I can't produce one for the life of me. The people that have been making and painting them have produced some amazing results for this challenge, though. Well done, everyone.

Enough of me rambling.

Your obsession with mud still as strong as ever I see :P Ogryns are good fun, but being used to seeing the older models I didn't quite appreciate how much larger the plastics are so there's a fair bit to paint on them. No rivets that I can remember though ;)

Type-14 'Strigoi' Ion Mortar has finally rolled off the assembly line:http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20150929_00_52_16_Pro.jpghttp://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20150929_00_52_44_Pro.jpg

I'll try and get better pictures up later. Recently acquired an airbrush, which has saved lots of time on applying base coats for the various colours. smile.png

Fluff for the Ion Mortar, I'll post Regimental fluff later:

Type-14 Siege Carriage.

Designation: Ion Mortar, Anti-Heavy Infantry

Aliases: Strigoi, Wraith

The Type-14 was the result of a collaboration between Tarosian engineers and Earth Caste technicians. Due to the mandate of Aun'sol, who gently pushed the Tau towards the mission of uplifting the Gue'vesa and teaching their populace to properly utilise technology, many projects have been undertaken in order to educate and create a population of knowledgeable engineers who can then hand this knowledge over to others, and build upon it.

Many of these projects sprang up in the wake of the Independence War - Imperial ref: The Taros Campaign - as munitions supplies began to run low. The Tau managed to reverse-engineer or secure schematics for most basic items, such as lasguns, or make rough analogues from their own technology, such as Taros-pattern Flak Armour. Many more complex machines, however, seemingly refused to be mimicked. Many attempts to create copies resulting in prototypes that were significantly less efficient, less powerful or that simply refused to work, despite the Tau's best efforts to deconstruct and understand their workings. Faced with difficulty in simply replicating the Imperium's devices, a new path was sought.

The Type-14 is the first instance of a Tau heavy weapon being mounted on a Gue'la vehicle. Due to its reliance on fuel cells for ammunition, rather than shells, it can operate for longer and with more devastating power. The current model is capable of lobbing spheres of flickering plasma that arc gently through the air with a faint shrieking sound. Upon impact, the sphere erupts in a burst of intense radiation that effortlessly pierces all but the most hardened armour. When deployed to counter Gue'ron'sha Space Marines in the Damocles Gulf, these proved to be utterly devastating. One such attack involved a platoon being stationed to defend a fusion reactor powering a nearby ion shield protecting a nearby Tau airfield. It had been identified as an obvious weakpoint and thus the reactor was garrisoned with soldiers of the 4th Tarosian. As the Space Marines of the Howling Griffons launched their brutal drop pod assault, the platoon held the line while the pre-sighted Strigois targeted the ruined the Marines were expected to take cover in, and opened fire. As the first shrieking plasma blasts erupted all over their position, the platoon's survivors pushed forward to clean up stragglers. They reported mangled suits and horrifying images of unhelmeted Marines clawing for escape, skin sloughing off the bone as their very flesh liquidated.

After its successful field test, the Strigoi has entered mass production and is being rolled out for service across the Tau Empire. Many Tau commanders have even begun to utilise it with trained Fire Caste handlers, citing the devastating bombardment as the perfect prelude to a vicious Mont'ka strike. The Strigoi is proof that, once again, the unity of the Tau and its allies overcomes all, and that the fire of the Greater Good can immolate all foes.

If I may ask you a question, Coffee: when you seal the tank and then do the oil washing, are you washing the entire vehicle or just line and dot detailing? The reason I ask is because my Chimera isn't "popping" as I'd like it to with the Agrax Earthshade wash and I think a line and dot detail would do it more justice but I'm not sure.

I, Son_of_D0rn, of the 55th Vostoryan Infantry, do hereby vow to complete Ministorum Priest from Astra Militarum for the Regiments of the B&C: Heroes of the Guard challenge by the 9th October for the honour of The Imperium, Holy Terra and B&C.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/ratvan85/20150929_193327_zpsblmx6hu8.jpg

Another priest, and a great model at that! Good stuff :)

Don't forget that the cut off for enlisting is soon approaching - 2nd October 20:00 GMT, that's in a couple of days. This also means that there's just over a week left before Heroes of the Guard ends on the 9th so there's no time for dilly dallying troops let's get those models done ;) I've already done the first drafts of my write ups, I'll see if I can get them done and dusted soon :)

Still love the redemptionist models, as he is a character maybe add a back banner with scrolls/open book type stuff on? Or will it be the colour choices that make him stand out?

I'm going to model a "planted banner" on his base to make him stand out more, possibly in amongst a small pile o' skulls, originally I was going to use either the Arch Zealot Model, Zealot with Eviscerator or the Zealot with Massive Axe but I cannot get into the loft at the moment due to a car accident last week that has left my shoulders rather sore so climbing/lifting/clambering is out of the question. 

Also the fact that I plan on painting him with a dark black skin tone (Perry Miniatures Somalians esque) might help slightly, I plan on doing this with my Commissar model as well

If I may ask you a question, Coffee: when you seal the tank and then do the oil washing, are you washing the entire vehicle or just line and dot detailing? The reason I ask is because my Chimera isn't "popping" as I'd like it to with the Agrax Earthshade wash and I think a line and dot detail would do it more justice but I'm not sure.

For the body of the tank, I use Seraphim Sepia applied all over, mainly with the aim of getting it into recesses. If you seal the base coat with a gloss varnish, this is much easier and limits the 'staining' you get where small amounts of the wash tint the colour of the flat areas of the vehicle. This time around the weather was not being compliant, so I applied the wash without a gloss coat, and simply sealed over the paintwork after also doing the drybrush highlights and paint chipping with Purity Seal.

Oil washes I use are Burnt Umber and Black. I only really use the Umber on moving parts, as it really looks good as a sort of copper grease and gives a believably oily look. Black goes over all the metallics. I want to try and get a few more oil paints to test using them on other stuff, so the next vehicle I do might be washed solely with oil paints to try that out. The colour seems to be much richer, so I'm hoping it'll pay off.

/Edit/

Regimental Fluff:

The 4th Tarosian Regiment is one of many that represents the military power of the Tarosian Empire. After being liberated from the oppressive Imperial reign by their Tau allies in 998.M41, Taros has slowly been drawn into the fold of the Greater Good, its people being uplifted to longer, more healthy lives by the Tau in exchange for their materials and productive capabilities. Known to the Tarosians as the Independence War, the Taros Campaign proved the Imperium's weakening grip on the local systems, and thus a series of campaigns were enacted to draw more human worlds into the fold. Some came willingly, but others were shown the error of their ways by the mighty armour of the Tarosian regiments, with potent xenos weaponry melded into hardy Imperial technology, they proved to be a powerful force for the relatively weak Planetary Defense Forces to resist.

Taros is currently the hub of a Gue'vesa empire that is reaping the rewards of extensive trade and an ever-increasing manufacturing capability. The armies march into battle with new prototype weaponry gifted by their Tau allies, to signify their close allegiance, and the old ways of science and reason are once again returning to a people that has long forgotten them.

However, the future of the empire is in jeopardy, as a splinter of Hive Fleet Gorgon thought long dead has once again grown fat on weak, undefended worlds and returned. Designated Hive Fleet Orochi by the Imperium, this fleet has devoured two systems of the Tarosian empire before being brought to a stalemate at the Battle of Taros Secundus. With the Tarosian forces beleaguered and outnumbered by the Great Devourer, barely holding the line, cries for aid echo back to their Tau allies, who are making haste to reinforce the system. But, with the Tau's comparatively slow starfaring abilities, will they simply arrive to find worlds picked clean and a hopeful empire extinguished?

I, Audemus of the Hazardous Environment Response Cavalry (H.E.R.C.) Strike Force, do hereby vow to complete these Imperial Guardsmen and Company Command for the Regiments of the B&C Heroes of the Guard by the 9th October for the honour of Holy Terra and the B&C.

====

I included a top down view so you could see the back row. I left the plastic parts out because it would just be one big mess, needless to say each torso has all of the necessary parts to create a bouncing grizzled guardsmen for H.E.R.C. With Armies on Parade coming up, I may not be able to finish their accompanying Chimera's but worry not they shall ride into battle in armored beasts with auto-cannons mounted on top.

http://i.imgur.com/GhO9k0k.png

(Updated Vow)

I, Audemus of the Lions of Leander VI, do hereby vow to complete these Imperial Guardsmen and Company Command for the Regiments of the B&C One For All by the 9th October for the honour of Holy Terra and the B&C.

(The Commissar came along for style points don't mind him. cool.png )

http://i.imgur.com/KQVZwGC.png

Archived