IO - The Mechanicum Abyssii

Talonair

That sounds like a good idea to me. I would also consider my suggestion to make them a dedicated melee unit, you could have the shields be on the "arms" where the secutors have their guns and still give them a pair of melee weapons, or leave them with the axes you've already written up. Then a simple addition of a rule like chosen warriors would make them a badass bodyguard unit who can step in and take a challenge on behalf of the magos whose life they are protecting.

I believe the new Scyllax don't need to, but I see your point. Maybe give them a token ranged weapon a Volkite Charger or Maxim bolter. Or come up with something esoteric, but not very powerful. Distinguishing them from other units isn't a bad thing as long as you aren't completely removing an army weakness. The mechanicum already have viable combat options so I would say this would be a viable idea.

Could you maybe update Mortera's profile with the advice you got and stuff? I would love to see how she is now, I am making Xander (kinda like the traitor version of Mortera) so I could maybe use your Mortera as a profile base for Xander

Going through Mortera;

Offence; 6-9 WS7 S7 AP2 Armourbane Attacks with Preferred Enemy and Instant Death on a 6 and a single guaranteed Instant Death per turn, and 2 S4 AP2 Concussive, Shred, Haywire Attacks with -1 Toughness granted as a result of Rad Furnace. Jump Infantry. +1 WS in a challenge. Hammer of Wrath and Move Through Cover.

Against an elite infantry squad (say WS5, T4 2 wounds), that's hitting on 3's with a reroll, wounding on 2's with a reroll, instant deathing them with 6-9 attacks due to how charging, counter attack and rampage works out. Assuming a charge, because Jump Infantry/Fleet, that gives us 6 base, and rampage, that's an average of 8, so 7 hits, wounding on 2's with a reroll is 7 wounds. That's 7 Dead, sans Invulnerable Saves. 

Against a Primarch, thats hitting on 3's or 4's with a reroll, wounding on 2-4's with a reroll on a 1, and forcing an Invulnerable Save, either 4+ or 5+. Against Morro, that's 8 Attacks, 6 hits, 3, maybe 4 wounds. 5+ Save recovers 1, maybe his multiple IWND rolls recovers another 1. So, between 1-3 wounds. Pionus is probably tougher; but against a more typical primarch, that's WS7 T6, W6, 2+/4++, that's hitting on 4's with a reroll, increasing to 3's after, so that's 6-7 hits, 6-7 wounds, and 3, maybe 4 wounds. That's INSANE. No other Primarch can put out that damage input, where even if IWND kicks in, will it kill a typical Primarch.

Defence; 7 T8 Wounds with a 2+/4++ Primarch rules, basically, and an equivalent IWND for non-wound stat damage, FNP 5+, Immune to Concussion. Passing Battlesmith on a 2+. 

Shooting; Preferred Enemy Precision Shot BS5 S5 AP2 Blind 2 Shot Photon Gauntlet (12"), S8 AP1 Melta Inferno Pistol (6"), Fleshbane Flamer (Rad Cleanser), can fire 2 at once, alternatively, instantly heal one cover save providing/los blocking Castellax. 

Army Boosts; Free IWND instead of Blessed Autosimulacra, +1 to Reserve rolls, acute senses, and reroll scatter, +1 Ld to Mechanicum, 3 random warlord traits from up to 3 seperate tables, Battlesmith (again). 

Coming from a critical PoV, when you're looking to make it stand up against Primarchs, the 2+ Armour Save is a wash, because everything is AP2 or better. Against anything else though, the combination of IWND and 7 T8 wounds on a 2+ just doesn't jive well, especially combined with her damage output (2 turns to kill a Primarch that can't escape?)

Considering that this is homebrew, I'd edge nearer to overcosting, and say more like 650pts. After all, 2 Haywire hits, and 6 attacks on the charge against a Knight results in 5 hits, and with Armourbane, translates to 4 penetrating hits. So against a 6 HP Knight, that Knight is pretty much dead, unless it's a Cerastus Lancer with its 5++ and 5 Strength D I5 attacks.

I think that 650 is about right, as right now, the only real counter I can think of is something as niche as a pair of 2 Knight Lancers.

Right. He doesn't even break 300 points. 

So, why am I seeing a Mechanicum character breaking 500 points? I confess I've never been very interested in the Mechanicum or the Adeptus Mechanicus of 40k. Combine that with my over-extended schedule, and I haven't been keeping a close eye on the Mechanicum projects, and I apologize for that. But, I want to establish some ground rules. The Primarchs are supposed to be the pinnacle of warriors save the Emperor. Even then, only Horus reaches the 500 point level before his Daemonic upgrade, and that's solely to face off against the Emperor. So, to have a Mechanicum character to reach the height of demigods created by the Emperor himself strikes me as hurting the setting and cheapens the Primarchs. I understand the urge to create the best and the most powerful, but this is going too far. 

I like having our own unique Mechanicum faction, but let's exercise some restraint. 

• 11 months later...