Some airbrush help/advice

Kassill

Hail brothers and sisters,

I recently got a starter set up airbrush and compressor. Nothing fancy, just something to get started laying down coats on larger models more evenly. Hated painting anything bigger than infantry with a brush as it always came out uneven and you could see the brush strokes *shudder*

Anyways, hopefully this will get me started and maybe once I get the hang of things I can upgrade later.

But first things first, need some help.

1) The compressor I got, according to all the reviews, etc, is not supposed to run very long at any given time. Just short bursts to "power up". Mine however runs the entire time I have it on. Pretty sure it's because the hose leaks right at the connector/screw cap. I even flipped the hose around and it still did it. Do I need to wrap the outside of the hose?

2) How thin should the paint be for this? Assuming pretty thin but wanted to make sure.

Here's the set up I have

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy134/Kassill1/11215191_10207252309567891_4584676966591683607_n_zpspfublkl7.jpg

As you can see there is the connector on the end of the hose and then this metal sleeve. Where the hose connects tot he regulator, there is air blowing out of the gap between the connector and the sleeve on the hose. Both ends do this as I said I flipped it around to see if that would help and it did not.

Any ideas?

Thanks msn-wink.gif

Hi,

This compressor has no tank so it will run whenever you spray or, in your case, lose air. I had the same problem with the exact same hose and couldnt really fix it, whatever I did there would still be some air blowing out of the gap. Best bet would be to get a new one imo.

Hope this help.

I'll echo what's been said before - without a tank the compressor will run near continuously as you use your airbrush. If you're not actively using the airbrush and the compressor is running non-stop then you do indeed have a leak somewhere in the system. The hose is a good shout, as they have to be tightened properly to avoid pressurised air from escaping. I find if I have a leak where the hose isn't tightened properly it feels cold to touch - have you noticed this anywhere? Tape may help, but if the leak is between the airbrush and the hose then you'll be constantly undoing / redoing it as you clean out your airbrush.

As for paint consistency - you're going to need to do some trials, everyone has a slightly different viewpoint. When mixing, I find it easiest to check by getting a brush a dragging some paint up the side of the container. The vast majority should run back into the pot quickly, leaving a thin layer up the side - not opaque, but having good coverage. If it comes out too thin, put some more paint in, and conversely if it's too thick add some more thinner. Some people swear by water to thin their paints, I put my money into Vallejo airbrush thinner. I haven't tried any of the new GW / FW thinners or Lahmia Medium, but Vallejo works for me. As you find your consistency it's a good idea to get some empty dropper bottles and pre-mix batches of your base colours which are pre-thinned.

There are some good tutorials on YouTube, plus some people here are pretty good with airbrushes and are always happy to help out.

It does run when I'm not using it. I did use the included tape and wrapped all the threads following the manufacturer's tutorial videos.

The leaks (which I can hear/feel) is not on the threaded areas, but on the hose, between the connector and the metal sleeve, just before the braided area starts.

I used water and the little bit of work I did last night seemed to work fine. Just was curious how thin. I think I could go a bit further with mine as i had to clean on the needle cap a few times.

Thanks all msn-wink.gif

Yeah, Iwata, Badger, Harder & Steenbeck, Paasche… doesn't really matter which, outside the world of Chinese knock-offs, an air hose isn't a difficult thing to get right.

Just bear in mind that not all manufacturers use the same thread size. You can usually get an adapter, but you might as well get one that's the right size in the first place.

I have no problems using a Master air hose, myself. I started out using what appears to be the same kit as you. Upgraded the compressor and airbrush, still using the same hose.

Yeah it's the Master series kit on Amazon. So you know what I'm talking about, the connector and then that metal sleeve? That's where the air is coming out. 

Just for added info, I have a compressor with tank and similar air pressure regulator that yours sports.  What I found was that even with the tank, the pump continued to keep pumping away because there was indeed an air leak from the top of the air regulator inside the top cap with the red ring.  So following the removal of all air pressure and switched it off at the mains, had a go at fixing it.

The top cap with the bright red ring around can (though PLEASE NOTE I do NOT recommend this unless you're handy at fixing leaks and putting something back together the way it came apart) be undone and removed and the workings taken out carefully.  I cleaned this section up (brass bits were starting to crud up) and added a little silicon grease where needed etc and after several refits, managed to get it working as intended without a leak.  Gave it a week or two and it began to leak again, like other cheap gas products or those done on mass production, it does require constant maintenance unless you're lucky.

As said, I do not recommend just taking random things apart if they aren't broken or you don't know how to and don't have the tools for.  But don't despair, there's often a fix even if you have to wait a bit.

GL.

When mixing, I find it easiest to check by getting a brush a dragging some paint up the side of the container. The vast majority should run back into the pot quickly, leaving a thin layer up the side - not opaque, but having good coverage.

Seconded :tu:

Masters makes absolute crap airbrushes, but the tank and hose I got are...ok. I had to put a ton of tape around the threading of the connection to the tank, not because of a leak, but because it had the moisture trap and gauge upside down :P

I'm hardly surprised to hear that someone got a lemon hose out of them, too. You get what you pay for. confused.gif

Well this is all new waters for me. Didn't have the means to dump big bucks in to name brand this and that, just got tired of painting larger stuff by hand. Later down the road when things get clearer I'll most likely "upgrade". For now, the brush seems fine, and the compressor seems to work. Just the hose that seems to be off.

Also, in case anyone was curious, this is the part that has air coming out, between the cap and that metal sleeve. 

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy134/Kassill1/12002990_10207269040666158_2520183122086131448_n_zpstj7fojah.jpg

I started with a Masters package as well.  I had to return the damn thing for all the faults it had, but kept the compressor (which I hope won't spontaneously combust one day).  If it ends up giving you trouble too, an Iwata Neo is just $50. :)

As for the hose, it sounds like you'll simply need a replacement.  

I started with a Masters package as well. I had to return the damn thing for all the faults it had, but kept the compressor (which I hope won't spontaneously combust one day). If it ends up giving you trouble too, an Iwata Neo is just $50. smile.png

Ohh, I had not seen teh Neo.

How did you return just the brush?

Also, new problem. When spraying white tonight, it kept wanting to fling little white dots everywhere. Did not happen with the two different grays or black I have done. Had to stop before I messed to mush up. Will be fun going back to fix those....

It's possible the white was thicker/had more pigment than the others. Sometimes it helps to aim away from your model, start spraying air to clear any paint that will spatter out of the nozzle, and then go from there.

Thinning:    Go 1:1 with GW/p3 paints and Windex!  The blue tint will not mess up your colors.  If you use airbrush paints, you prolly do not need to thin at all.  But if you seem to get some clogs, pre-mix a drop or two of windex into the paint.  The answer you may have been looking for was "thin paints to consistancy of milk."  But i'm having a blast using Windex or dollar-store type window cleaners of blue.   And the Windex is good enough for post-painting cleaning and those wire bristle brushes you have in side-boarder of the photo.

Also, new problem. When spraying white tonight, it kept wanting to fling little white dots everywhere.

What you have here is a flow deflection.   A grain of dirt, or a clog of pigment can be stuck on needle tip, moment of air deflection builds a driplet of paint then SPLAT, it flies free and makes the dots.   Wipe needle tip clean with babywipe or alcohol wipe (from back to forward , pulling matter off the tip.. no danger at bending the tip this way.)   If you DO bend the tip, you'll have similar results.   Sandpaper back-to-tip to repair it, or replace the needle.  If you DO want this effect sometime.. like mud on tracks of vehicles... bounce the paintflow off a flat stick.

White is notorious for thicker pigment blobs suspended in the medium.   Heavy heavy mixing is required for older pot of paint to pulp these pigment blobs.    Try mixing white with the windex beforehand.. mash mash mash in small cup.  Never ever mix paints/mediums inside the cup of the airbrush.   (I use the plastic cups that come with bottles of cold syrup.  gotta love the measuring graduations with those) 

Helpful link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haQHCAvD1ds

The Science of Acrylic Paint

I started with a Masters package as well. I had to return the damn thing for all the faults it had, but kept the compressor (which I hope won't spontaneously combust one day). If it ends up giving you trouble too, an Iwata Neo is just $50. smile.png

By being very angry and employing my "This is how it's gonna be" voice with the distributor.

By being very angry and employing my "This is how it's gonna be" voice with the distributor.

biggrin.png Well, luckily there was enough wrong with the kit I was able to ship it back for a refund. Got my Neo and new comp today. Works like a friggin charm. Thanks for that. msn-wink.gif

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy134/Kassill1/12042724_10207290806690295_7834588968481605201_n_zpshlpaagx4.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Archived