Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IL IV - The Void Eagles

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

I wonder if the Mark III is popular among the Void Eagles

As a general matter, they don't have much in the ways of MkIV, due to the nature of their deployments (although the IIIrd fleet is noted as having received extensive stocks of them in the months before the Day of Revelation. If that was a jab at the lack of diversity on the iconographic reference sheet: didn't have templates for anything but Mark 2. BTW, I realised I screwed up, the Breacher Sgt bears the color of the 5th, not the 4th.

Is there any possibility of the Eagles fielding voidbikes like those so beloved of the White Scars?
We're going to have to think of/up a good space-faring enemy for them to go to town on. Thinking asteroid belt shenanigans.

Voidbikes you say? I didn't know such things existed, but if they do then the IVth likely have some.
As for enemies, I had long ago thought of, but not written about, a degenerate culture of abhumans living in an asteroid field (likely the remnants of a blown-up planet. At the heart of it laid an immense structure known as the Nemausian Ring, a toroidal arena where the inhabitants reveled in recreational bloodshed and sacrifices. Once the surrounding asteroids are cleansed of defence platforms and warships, the Eagles enter the Ring and are met by tech-advanced gladiators, almost a match against the Astartes in assault capabilities.

tn_gallery_77459_12000_9810.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_28699.png gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg tn_gallery_77459_12000_11946.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_20864.png

Legio IX: the Warbringers Proto-Legio IX: the Steel Guard

Legio IV: the Void Eagles Proto-Legio IV: the Morning Stars

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
The vehicles were essentially jetbikes with void capabilities, and a marine in fully sealed armour could use them for ship-to-ship actions.

That sounds pretty interesting :) Abhumans haven't really come up in my reading, except in passing references.

Edited by bluntblade, 07 March 2016 - 11:31 AM.

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

Units and formations within the Legion

At the time Yucahu took command of his legion, the its structure and hierarchies were rearranged to better suit their new disposition. Gone were the Musters and their jemadars, titles inherited from the Thunder Warriors of whom the Morning Stars descended, for the Void Eagles were not warriors, but soldiers. In an interesting inversion of usual tendencies, the primarch of the IVth built his new order to more closely follow the guidelines established in the Principia Bellicosa, whereas many of his brothers had imported much from the culture of their home world. By the end of the Great Crusade, the Void Eagles were composed of nine independent Great Fleets led by admirals (with the notable exception of the 1st Fleet, which was directed by the Primarch himself). These fleets formed the wider form of organisation, each pushing the Crusade in a different direction. Each of these fleets was further divided in a dozen flotillas of approximately one thousand legionnaires, and were the main operational elements of the legion. A flotilla was itself composed of two battalions, or squadrons – the latter almost exclusively used by airborne and astral elements – directed by lieutenants. Due to the legion's nature being spread thin across the galaxy, and its erratic recruitment methods, these numbers are at best indicative of each formation's order of magnitude. In reality they tended to vary greatly, as one might see the example of the 734th battalion, who spent the better part of the late Great Crusade reduced to merely four squads, or the first flotilla of admiral Maloran, kept purposefully over-strength at two and a half thousand warriors.

The legion's culture was not without impact on its hierarchy. Promotion in the lower echelons was mostly a matter of challenge, be they martial or otherwise, and a great many implied exposure to danger far exceeding the investment to augment and equip the marine concerned. It also transpired in the quasi-systematic designation of units by their informal titles or nicknames, a practice which forced many a clerk to abandon attempts to publish lists of precise unit numeration. Notables include the 71st Flotilla, Limtoc's Blood-beaks, rumoured to partake in the flesh of their foes, the 205th "Stormbringers" Squadron, or the Sons of Nothingness, a cognomen given to the entirety of the 5th fleet after their numerous ventures beyond the light of the Astronomican – the longest of which saw them believed lost for the first twelve years of the Insurrection.

Edited by Skalpynock, 20 May 2016 - 01:22 PM.

• simison likes this

tn_gallery_77459_12000_9810.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_28699.png gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg tn_gallery_77459_12000_11946.pngtn_gallery_77459_12000_20864.png

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

"You ask me if I remember the Morning Stars? Obviously I do. Nothing can be forgotten with this horror grafted on my skull. Not even the worse of his treachery. I was there on Terra, when our Lord was set to conquer the Earth…Terra as we call it now. I was a mere assistant back then, ensuring the production of Power Armour was compliant to specifications. That was even before Sedna and the storm grey standard. We didn't bother to paint them, the men of the twelve Legions did it themselves. There were only 12 at the time. Bearers of Lightning, Juggernauts, Steel Guard, Storm Riders, and the Morning Stars I remember. It was the very first production-grade plate, before we linked with Mars and I got fitted with these augmet-stuff to keep me alive forever.

The Fourth were of a good seed. They had their obvious misgivings, but where it would have made renegades of any other men, the recruits from Thumli-Cambay had their honors and culture, and it turned them into heroes. To get a good approximation of what they were, in today's world, contemplate both legions of Wardens. Rather than rushing at their foes like the crazed ilk of Akarro and Mycenor they marched purposefully, their bright plate shimmered in the dawn. They fought with legitimate faith in the Imperium and its Truth. I engraved upon their suits the legacy of a thousand battles, names of fallen brethren etched in gold on a greave, silver bolts of lightning molded on a Jemadar's terminator plate. They were not called upon the battlefield to carry destruction, but to bring forth the light of the Imperium. They were figures of propaganda, standing among the First, Fifth, and Ninth as the epitome of the Legiones Astartes. Zamindar Mashyan sat at the table of Primarchs, as legion after legion was rejoined by their lord.

And then there came the fateful day, where in the middle of galactic nowhere, they found a fleet of ships ready to contest the Imperium on a compliance operation. We all know what happened there, but what came after I know well enough. Mashyan was put in charge of the third Fleet. Not the first or second, but the third. He took it as an offense. He who had waited centuries for a father, only to find a man who cares not about his soldiers, only that they wage war. The Terrans segregated into their own fleet, two centuries of legion heritage forgotten and cast in brass. But as the legion was scattered across the stars, he took to restore some of what had been lost. Markings, colors, informal titles, ship names… it was not much, but he believed it better than nothing. They were the Morning Stars fleet of the Void Eagles. And, long after, there came another day of importance. Agents of the Stormborn coming to the Hand of Infinity to discuss the matter of the Imperium. A great plan to liberate the Imperium from the tyrants that controlled it. We all know how it ended."

Extracted from former serf Tamaz Glidze, once assigned to the 6th and 147th expeditionary corps

Edited by Skalpynock, 20 May 2016 - 01:30 PM.

• MikhalLeNoir, simison, Hesh Kadesh and 1 other like this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
Based on my writings on the Shepherds/Berserkers, I'm thinking of proposing a "Legio Auxilia" system, formalised at Alexandros' instigation. They'd take over some of the recruitment rights given up by some Legions, as well as from one or two planets.

Perhaps the Terran ex-Morning Stars could get the same treatment.

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts
That's a great idea, and one that will have important repercussions on the Warbringers' auxilia comes the Revolution.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
I'm just waiting on Raktra's reply before I take the idea any further.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
It's a yes from Raktra. I don't know if it'll affect any other Legions. Incidentally the order of reunions always slips my mind; was Yucahu refound before or after Raktra?

Aside from anything else, the Morning Stars' situation would give Alexandria a certain amount of political cover. And again, appeal to his sense of humanity (and wouldn't that just give the Morning Stars a headache with their loyalties...)

Edited by bluntblade, 13 March 2016 - 10:41 AM.

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,729 posts
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
Et voila

Primarch Discovery List:
1st- Icarion
2nd - Alexandros
3rd - Leman Russ
4th - Daer'dd
5th - Niklaas
6th - Kozja
7th - Pionus
8th - Jackal
9th - Hectarion
10th - Morro
11th - Koschei
12th - Alexos
13th - Azus
14th - Coch'ise
15th - Gwalchavad
16th - Raktra
17th - Yuchau
18th - K'awil
19th - Magnus
20th - Jade General

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeggallery_78117_10471_62812.pnggallery_92945_11930_12458.png

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
That works perfectly

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

Those who gaze into the deep

Ever since the earliest days of the Great Crusade as the Morning Stars, the IV legion was noted as fielding a substantial amount of psykers, although nowhere near those of the Lightning Bearers or Halcyon Wardens. Often they would serve actively on the battlefield, bearing literally the Imperium's light. However, it was not by their fire that they shone, but by a preternatural ability to know the exact position of their foes. Where the First and the Fifth had dominion over time, the Fourth ruled over space. Many great strategists relied on these "Blind Watchers" to oversee tactical disposition, who were skilled swordsmen as well, using their power to know exactly where to strike.

When the legion was reunited with its sire, and organised around vastly different precepts, psykers (be they Astartes or not) took an even greater importance. Navigators and astropaths were necessary elements of shipborne operation, and regarded with the outmost respect. The battle-psykers saw their role on the battlefield itself reduced, as they were requested by higher command to assist in the coordination of operatioms. Rechristened the "Deep Watchers" these officers were instrumental in many battles of the Icarion Insurrection. Whether Yucahu himself possessed this trait is anyone's guess, although if one were to subscribe to the theory of primarchs as inherently psychic beings, much of his strategic brillance could find its source there.

Edited by Skalpynock, 17 March 2016 - 03:25 PM.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
Is Ala Lux Yucahu's flagship?

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

Is Ala Lux Yucahu's flagship?

It is indeed.

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

Now, I've had some time to ponder a new unit for the Eagles, and while I won't be giving them rules tonight, I figured I would fluff them out.

Zone Mortalis engagements are high-intensity environments, where survival is conditioned by two variables: forward-facing armour and output of firepower; thus was the reason for the creation of Tactical Dreadnought Armour. However, being adept at this type of warfare, the IVth legion soon found even these insufficient. Ever tampering with their wargear, the Mechanist Brethren of the 4th fleet designed a solution: by overclocking the motivator units of Tartarus-pattern Terminator armour, heavier weapons such as Reaper autocannons or heavy flamers could be wielded in both arms. The tremendous strain put on the fibre-bundles was such that an auxiliary powerplant cannibalized from power armor, had to be implemented, as well as additional cooling systems to prevent overheating.

The Saturators, as their users came to be known, were often unstable elements of the legion, clad in prototype wargear and under the constant threat of their weaponry or armor killing them.

• bluntblade likes this

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,848 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

For such a unit you could slap on something like:

Catastrophic Equipment Failure:

• At the beginning of Each Phase (movement, shooting or assault), roll a D6. On a roll of a 1 or 2, the following corresponding effects occur in their own respective phase:
    • Movement Phase: Leg Motivator Failure. The Unit can no longer move. At the beginning of each subsequent movement phase, roll a D6. On a result of a 4+, the unit regains the ability to move.
    • Shooting Phase: Weapon System Failure. Roll a D6:
      • 1-2: All weapons gains Gets Hot for the until the end of the next controlling players turn.
      • 3-4: Unit cannot make any snap shoots and fire their weapons at BS3 and half their normal rate of fire (to a minimum of 1 Shot) for the rest of the phase.
      • 5-6: Unit is Blinded and shoots the closest unit to them, friend or foe, regardless of if they can harm them or not. 
    • Assault Phase: Unit cannot declare any charges or, if already locked in combat, cannot make any attacks but count as being Fearless for the purposes of Combat Resolution.

Its pretty extreme and has a lot of potential bookkeeping but with how strong these downsides potentially are means you could relatively up their Power without resorting to upping their points cost too high.

You could then give them some of the more exotic weapons if you felt like it.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,737 posts
And that's one more story.

So Skal, what's the outlook/temperament of the Void Eagles themselves?

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,528 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

For such a unit you could slap on something like:

Catastrophic Equipment Failure:

• At the beginning of Each Phase (movement, shooting or assault), roll a D6. On a roll of a 1 or 2, the following corresponding effects occur in their own respective phase:
    • Movement Phase: Leg Motivator Failure. The Unit can no longer move. At the beginning of each subsequent movement phase, roll a D6. On a result of a 4+, the unit regains the ability to move.
    • Shooting Phase: Weapon System Failure. Roll a D6:
      • 1-2: All weapons gains Gets Hot for the until the end of the next controlling players turn.
      • 3-4: Unit cannot make any snap shoots and fire their weapons at BS3 and half their normal rate of fire (to a minimum of 1 Shot) for the rest of the phase.
      • 5-6: Unit is Blinded and shoots the closest unit to them, friend or foe, regardless of if they can harm them or not. 
    • Assault Phase: Unit cannot declare any charges or, if already locked in combat, cannot make any attacks but count as being Fearless for the purposes of Combat Resolution.

Its pretty extreme and has a lot of potential bookkeeping but with how strong these downsides potentially are means you could relatively up their Power without resorting to upping their points cost too high.

You could then give them some of the more exotic weapons if you felt like it.

It might be simpler to give them a variant of gets hot! (without any armour saves allowed).

I must say, I like where these Saturators are going :)

sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts
Almost one hour listening to Sabaton later, here's a concept of what these malatech armours might look like

Saturator Terminator

• Big Bad Squig and bluntblade like this

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,565 posts

Almost one hour listening to Sabaton later

Hectarion and I approve

The Brotherhood of the Lost

Signature

The IIIrd legion, the Crimson Lions formerly known as the Blood Wolves. http://www.bolterand...-crimson-lions/

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,591 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

Decent sketch you have there, Skal. Wish I could do that.

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,186 posts
  • Faction: The Steel Legion

Almost one hour listening to Sabaton later, here's a concept of what these malatech armours might look like

As much as I loathe to bring them up and taint the BotL threads with their filth, perhaps it would be simpler to have the original Centurion Warsuits as the end result of this reseach project, with the Saturators as sort of their first-stage predecessors?

Edited by SanguiniusReborn, 21 March 2016 - 08:19 PM.

gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg
Formerly SanguiniusReborn, proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,528 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

As much as I loathe to bring them up and taint the BotL threads with their filth, perhaps it would be simpler to have the original Centurion Warsuits as the end result of this reseach project, with the Saturators as sort of their first-stage predecessors?

I thought Centurions were from an STC fragment discovered shortly before 999M41 ?

sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,186 posts

I thought Centurions were from an STC fragment discovered shortly before 999M41 ?

Well that was GeeDubs' excuse, but given the extended length of the GC whose to say the Void Eagles couldn't stumble upon said fragment or the Mechanicum find it and provide it to the Eagles as a Omnissiah-approved alternative to their tinkering with Terminator suits?
gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg
Formerly SanguiniusReborn, proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,482 posts

Alright. Sudden inspiration from the artwork of Gwalchavad and appropriately maritime music were converted into a proper approximate depiction of the Star-Born

Yucahu, primarch of the Void Eagles

• simison likes this

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,186 posts
Interesting, I take it you used the Garro model as a base for Yucahu's armour? Also, what kind of weapon is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users