++Interview with a Chaos Lord++ Andra'Melek p.9

Augustus b'Raass

http://shrani.si/f/V/Zl/4DIVVeRw/rszskullthrone8472.jpg

Here, take a seat on the Brass Throne, Lord of Chaos. I have some questions for you...

Greetings my fellow traitors, heretics and general scum of the galaxy. It is us, your dread daemon princes of the Chaos Forums, Augustus b'Raass and The Psycho, and we think that it is high time to showcase some of our most deserving minio... ahem Chaos Lords.

Every week one of the frater will be chosen, they will receive ten questions by PM and be asked to answer them. The intention of this topic is to present some of the known and even the unknown frater to the community in general and learn what lured them down the path of Chaos.

The topic will be a weekly event and it is scheduled for every Wednesday. The frater will receive the questions during the weekend and will be asked to present their answers via PM till Tuesday.

We invite the frater to post questions of their own to the Chaos Lord in the following days and offer their own insights and memorable moments on this forums regarding the Chaos Lord in question.

We hope you will enjoy this event and share your own stories and insights about the frater.

Augustus b'Raass and The Psycho

Post Scriptum: This is a revivification of Tenebris' thread of the same name.
For previous interviews of Chaos Lords, please follow the following links.

Future interviews:

• Subtle Discord
  • Black_out
  • GuitaRasmus

The questions are always the same:

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?
2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?
3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?
4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?
5.) What is your play style?
6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?
7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?
8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?
9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?
10.) Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

Alright ladies and gentlemen, the first Chaos Lord to be interviewed in this new thread is Flint13. She's a mod, a grl, squats more lbs than most of us put together, an avid hobbyist, and very involved in the forum. Her beyond awesome WIP thread, Savage Midnight, which is 104 pages long and counting, starts with a focus on the VIII legion, but in later pages broadens to encompass a bulky collection of mostly renegade Knight Castigators, World Eaters, myriad miniatures from all legions, and quite a few intense discussions ;). She also started a loyalist double thread with Brother Heinrich, where she focusses on Templar Imperial Fists, but we'll forgive her for that. If that wasn't enough, she admins the Night Lords thread Murderer's Call, and the World Eater's thread Gods of the Arena; World Eaters' Glory Everlasting. Her excellent modelling focusses on detail and pose. She's not shy to show off her constantly and visibly developing painting skills, and has been hailed by some as the White Witch, for her skill in painting convincing white. 

Without further ado, here's her interview:

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Mostly by accident. I just showed up here one day on Bolter and Chainsword trying to figure out how Chaos Marines work. Next thing I know I was mod and people started calling me the Princess of Crows. It was totes cray.

2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Ugh, I'm totally going to date myself on this one, but I started playing 3rd edition Warhammer 40k the week the Big Black Book dropped in '98. I had a very brief, unsatisfying affair with Salamanders before checking out the awesome 3rd ed Chaos codex everyone loves to look back on with bloody rose tinted glasses. To the amazement of my 14 year old self, there was an entire renegade legion focused on terror tactics and looking good in midnight blue/black. Also they could see in the dark. They sounded like a badass combination of the Predator, Batman and Punisher. I was sold.

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

Night Lords... duh. Haven't you been paying attention? They're my favorite bunch of traitors because they were damn good at their job. Just like the World Eaters and the Thousand Sons, they were crafted specifically as a weapon meant to be used for a very specialized purpose. No other legion could boast of the sheer effectiveness of the Night Lords style of war during the Great Crusade. Sure the Ultras or the Fists or whoever else could take a world with minimal casualties, but the Night Lords would have entire systems surrender as soon as their ships translated in system. Entire worlds with completely undamaged infrastructures immediately ready to begin sending tithes to the Emperor's great war machine. They got work done.

They were so good at what they were crafted to do that the Emperor himself grew terrified of their prowess. Kurze knew exactly what the Emperor planned for him and his sons, and he refused to play the Emperor's games any longer. He defied the Emperor's wishes to discard the legion when they had served their purpose. Kurze was exhausted, but he died for his sons to end the Emperor's hold over them because Death is nothing compared to vindication.

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

Well done battle reports. Even when school and work are eating my life, I can still sit down and take in a couple during a break and enjoy the hobby even when I don't get much model or game time in.

5.) What is your play style?

Distressingly aggressive

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

Killing a Tyranid Heirophant bio-titan over four rounds with Angron and Khârn father-son super team GO!

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?

I've got a sizable VIII and XII legion and a slightly smaller Dark Mechanicum contingent. . I've got enough traitor knights now to play a Questoris list too if I were so inclined. On the loyalist side of things, there are a about a thousand points of VII as well, who only remain Imperial Fists bc they officially can't be Templar until the Scouring.

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Khârn, no contest. His entire character arc from the Heresy era to "modern" 40k is totally fascinating to me. Plus that super groovy voice actor he has in the audio dramas gives me chills with that accent. 

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

Betrayer by Mr. D-B. It has Khârn and Argel Tal bro-team, gratuitous violence inflicted upon Ultramarines and Angron overhead squatting a Warhound titan. I couldn't ask for more in a single novel.

10.) Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

In gaming, as in life, strive to be the kid that people want to invite back to the party. No one is ever going to remember your win/lose ratio, but they will damn sure remember the time you brought a dead hard list to a casual game or argued a pedantic rules interpretation into the ground.

A good read. And that final answer is well worth remembering.

I'll pose my regular two questions:

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of?

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

Hi guys!

Sorry this has taken so long to get to. In non-digital life I just started back to work on doctoral research at the beginning of Sept and it occasionally eats my life.

@ Forte - It may have come up in conversation once or twice tongue.png

@ Psycho - Truth be told I hadn't thought about it in quite some time. I could never find a model I though worked well enough. Skarr Bloodwrath looked good but was too small, the new plastic thirster wasn't quite as armored as I wanted. If anyone has a good idea, GW or no, I'm all ears.

@ Teetengee - Dunno honestly. I occasionally get in a half dozen games a year, for which I've been using my XII legion. I've been mainly painting those lately.

@ STD - Haha, it's been quite a while since I've been to Warhammer world. It's prolly pretty awesome and new now happy.png

@Kierdale - glad to hear it. I'm a notoriously low-stress player.
That's decently easy pair of questions.

1.) probs my take on Gyre and Iskandar. Out of every kitbash I've ever done, they came out the closest to my mental picture.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/tXsLD7.jpg

2.) I want to paint a warhound in the colors of Legio Audax to go with my World Eaters

Well, hello, my fellow Lords and Ladies of Chaos. Today it is my pleasure to present to you the Lord Vesper of the Black Legion. Is he worthy to serve among our Warmaster's forces? Maybe this interview will show...

1) How have you become a Chaos Lord?

It was back in 3rd edition. A friend hooked me up with his Dark Eldar army. It was such a cool and fresh design. So I went through his White Dwarf collection (the Adeptus Astartes articles were so great) to discover the universe a bit more. Ended up throwing my lot with the Dark gods, painting the marines from the paint box with the menacing black livery of the Black Legion.

2) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

I started collecting Chaos Space marines around year 2000. Got thrilled by the Lost & Damned stuff during at the beginning of the Eye of Terror global campaign, in 2003. The mortals getting involved with Chaos always interested me above any other part of the lore. Feverish visions of death cults shrouded in secrecy, or hiding in a cursed place. Stuff you could find in Lovecraftian literature. So I kinda started a L&D army. I now use the model as cultists since I don't really have the time (and the motivation) to work on turning those poor lads in a full army.

3) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

Must be the Black Legion because they tell the story that pleases me the most. I like the very concept of putting aside centuries old grudges, letting go and forgiving to someone you would've hated and fought in order to make him a true brother along which you'll fight for something greater, more important and glorious than anything that could've been achieved by tearing each other's throats.

But then I enjoy a great bunch of Legions and warbands.

4) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

It is probably the narrative aspect of the game, and the lore in general. I love writing stuff about the games I play or my units and characters in general. It's what kept me going through the dark days of the gavdex and such. I like to record the story of my warband, and that keeps me involved with them. i probably owe that to Pete Haines' journal of a Warsmith, if some of you remember that.

5) What is your play style?

Well, there's nothing like close combat. Must be because I'm French and my ancestors were knights or something.

In other words, I like to have a close combat monster as a Lord. My warband is led by a count-as Abaddon, after all, and I enjoy fielding my count-as Khârn or my Juggerlord these days. Then, I tend to balance my list as best as possible. I play the objectives and the narrative when there's one. Not sure if it's a playstyle, but that's how I play.

6) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I fondly remember some games I won during the Eye of Terror global campaign. The whole event in itself still is a great memory. I can clearly recall my Defiler getting an awesome hit on a squad of Wulfen, killing most of them off. My Defiler is now named Venenum Luporum to celebrate that perticular action.

7) Do you collect and play any other armies?

I tried Dark Eldars, Tau, but only kept doing Chaos related stuff. For the record, I repainted my CSM army multiple times, switching from Black Legion to Alpha Legion, to Sons of Malice, to Night Lords and I'm in the process of getting everything back in the Black Legion. And I also have an embryo of a Sons of Sek army that waits for bits and an embryo of a Sanctified force that is supposed to stay an embryo.

8) Which is your favorite Chaos character?

I like a great bunch of them. Abaddon, of course, but I also really like Ahriman and the majority of the characters from Talon of Horus. I really loved Teke the smiling one aswell. Chaos offers the opportunity to explore so many awesome characters. But yeah. My money's on Abaddon

9) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

The Talon of Horus, for it's the book I've waited for more than a decade. And I wasn't disappointed because even though I envisionned some parts of the story quite differently when I first read the Index Astartes, I keep an open mind and I'm OK with having things changed to make a good story. I feel that AD-B did that with talent and I'm now waiting for the second part of the series.

10) Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

Don't do drugs kids, get a Chaos Fire Raptor instead.

Oh, and sorry for the eventual grammar mistakes and other typos.

But honestly, Chaos Fire Raptors are awesome.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

@Augustus : I'm still painting my Night Lords into Black Legionnaire. These days I'm working on a basic CSM squad with two flamers. Progress is slow because I'm not that motivated right now, and I have a lot of things that take much of my free time.

About the Fire Raptor, I have to say it might've been the hardest model I've had to build, and I speak as someone who managed to glue the wings of an old metal Bloodthirster. But it's a great piece. I'm not really into Big Knights or Titans, and I will probably never buy a Helldrake because the aesthetic just doesn't really fit with my warband, so the Fire Raptor felt like a logical choice to both get a nice centerpiece and give some aerial support to my forces. When it comes to the picture there you go :

http://i.imgur.com/nthSakc.jpg

@Kierdale

Sure thing, let me present to you Silas Bayard, one of the four main lieutenants of my lord and his current champion. He's my count-as Khârn.

http://i.imgur.com/jrkK0KR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sg2Nxxi.jpg 

And about my "dream project", well I have a few of those. I'd be quite fond of having a nice and original looking slaaneshi warband, Violators possibly, or Flawless Host. But that's way above my current painting skills and I feel that I don't have the patience required to expand those at this moment.

And here's another Interview With a Chaos Lord! He's hip. His spawn are creepier than jeepers. And his heart is black as coal. He's also the Chaos Lord that poses the same two questions to all inverwieee's, here. So I'll pose them to him instead.

This week's interviewed Chaos Lord will be KIERDALE. Please check out his inspiring thread here.

• How have you become a Chaos Lord?
  • When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Checking my B&C thread it appears I fell to Slaanesh around the 20th of February 2014. Like my Psychopomps, I'm a new devotee when it comes to Chaos.
The path up to that point is as follows...
I had Space Crusade and a few CSM back in the Rogue Trader days but never an army of them. Back then, being a fickle youth, I had loyalist marines and space orks as well as a smattering of most other races. I played RT and 2nd edition and bought 3rd (I remember frowning deeply at the fact that grenades had become close combat weapons) but never had chance to play it. I drifted away from wargaming and into RPGs for over a decade (through uni and moving to Japan) eventually returning at the end of 5th edition, around six months before 6th came out.
It was the Horus Heresy series which dragged me back into the hobby when I spotted Horus Rising in Newcastle airport while waiting for my flight back to Japan some four-ish years ago. I at first planned just to make one squad, for old time's sake, and A Thousand Sonssettled me on the Sons of Prospero.
But we all know you can't make just one squad.
From a small army of crusade-era Thousand Sons (who I used in GW Japan's nation-wide campaign 'Chaos Rising' perhaps three years back now) I moved on to Imperial Guard (hearing rumours that FW was going to do the HH I put my 1kSons on the back burner) for a change, planning just a 500-point list.
I now have over 1,500 points...
And I don't quite remember what it was that got me into Chaos. One major factor is certainly the conversion opportunities. A chance to do something wild and quite out there in comparison to my 'Guard. I think it was Bonzi's thread (Making Noise Marines Scream) which helped me choose Slaanesh. That and fond memories of the Slaanesh colour schemes of the RT era and Realm of Chaos books.
In 2014 I entered my Imperial Guard into the Armies On Parade and decided that I would enter my Psychopomps in the 2015 one.
I haven't got as many models done as I'd hoped so I'll be putting it off until next year, but the sheer fun of modelling a chaos army has me well and truly hooked.
Thanks also to my family who ask me what miniatures I want every birthday and Christmas biggrin.png

• Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

To answer 'The Psychopomps' would be hubris biggrin.png so I'll choose those who got me back into the hobby (no doubt they saw it coming): the Thousand Sons. Not only the wonderful story of their hubris, betrayal and fall but also the imagery (both Egyptian and that of historical secret societies, Aleister Crowley...).
My second choice would be the Word Bearers. Classic villians and the first heretics. I find myself sorely tempted to do some in the future.

• What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

The grimdark, over-the-top setting, and striving to bring that out in models. Also the variety even within the Imperium itself (and even greater potential for variety in Chaos armies).

• What is your play style?

Having not yet fielded my Chaos forces, nor played 7th edition (though I own the rulebook) due to a lack of time (read: parenthood) I cannot say what my play style is, however I have in the past played rather static, gunline-like armies and so I have made my Chaos lists with the opposite in mind: getting in the enemy's face as fast as possible. The change should be both fun and a learning process. Hopefully some of my more disturbing miniatures will serve to distract meeker opponents.

• What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I've won a few painting competitions since getting back into the hobby (though not yet with a Chaos miniature. That's a current goal) but the one I'm most proud of was winning a Bronze Demon in the 2012 Golden Demon Japan (squad category) with my Thousand Sons veteran squad.

• Do you collect and play any other armies?

I still have my Great Crusade 1kSons though I never got into FW's HH ruleset, perhaps to the relief of my wallet. I sometimes consider stripping them and using the models for other projects but have not yet done so. At the very least I'd keep the veteran squad.
My Imperial Guard army from 'Kierdale's Shrineworld' still grows. I enjoy having and working on both them and my Slaanesh army as they are so different.
I did start an Emperor's Scythes army though only ever completed five marines and a rhino. They may find themselves stripped in the future...I don't have the new marine codex and I'm not keen on having a full-blown loyalist PA army anymore, but a killteam of Mentor Legion with lots of pouches, grenades and gear is in the works.
But I'm focusing on the Psychopomps now.
Slaanesh's hunger is never satiated.

• Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Ahriman, of course, though I have yet to read any of the books about him in the 41st millennium. Can anyone recommend where to start?
And from recently reading Vulkan Lives, I like Barthusa Narek of the Word Bearers. A very interesting character indeed.

• Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

It would have to be A Thousand Sons. It's what got me firmly back into the hobby.
I'm glad to say I still have my copy of Inquisitor (or 'Draco' as it is now known) and enjoy reading it and other oldies like Space Marineand (pre-revision) Deathwing.
I recently read 'The Unremembered Empire' and also 'Lord of the End Times'. I don't play WHFB (though used to in my youth, with the old metal Nagash leading my badly painted undead horde...even with HeroQuest undead in it!) but still have an interest in the game and the setting.

• Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

Nothing for the gaming side really. I suppose a suggestion to start armies which will force you to try different tactics and playing styles (firstly for fun and secondly to cope with the changes in the game from edition to edition).
On the modelling side: when I was first into the hobby, as a child, the Internet was not the outstanding resource it is now. Make use of it: search for tutorials on painting techniques. Make your own. Practice, practice, practice. Try not to be afraid to try new techniques. Browse galleries for inspiration. Steal ideas. But try to put an original twist on them if you can.
And let your imagination run wild with your conversions. This is Chaos, after all.

So, Kierdale, I´ll pose to you your regular questions:

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of?II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

I'd have to choose one of my spawn -the most twisted I think:

Hidden Content

First up a shot of the base sans-model, to show the burned grass.

med_gallery_63428_9407_46801.jpg

And here it/they is...

med_gallery_63428_9407_40927.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_204698.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_269808.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_204409.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_334167.jpg

The mouth on the side (where an arm should be) came out better than I expected. It's the first time I've tried to sculpt something like it.

med_gallery_63428_9407_162777.jpg

And if one arm on one side and four inside wasn't enough, something's trying to claw its way out the rear too...

med_gallery_63428_9407_10472.jpg

And finally...PEEKABOO!

med_gallery_63428_9407_59804.jpg

And one of the three spawn all together. What a happy family.

med_gallery_63428_9407_104486.jpg

I was very happy with how the skin came out (particularly the blue veins), and the chains coming out of the front. I hope you can imagine the sound of them tearing through the monstrosity's own taut flesh as it bucks and screams emanate from within :D

As for my dream project that has to be:

A huge Keeper of Secrets stood astride a wrecked, torn-open wave serpent with Howling Banshee bodies scattered about, the Keeper holding one Banshee in a claw, posed as if swallowing the Eldar's spiritstone (inspired by a story in the Eldar army list back in the RT-era Warhammer 40,000 Compilation).

I just need GW to release a KoS the same size as the Blood Thirster.

Oh, and save a lot of money.

Archived