++Interview with a Chaos Lord++ Andra'Melek p.9

Augustus b'Raass

Well after scratching my chin I have decided the following models have to be my faves. A Word Bearers lord, counts as Abaddon, the Nurgle chaps I mentioned earlier and my Wolf Lord 'Vargnier Lothbrok' :P

2015-10-29%2B22.30.34.jpg

2015-10-29%2B22.30.58.jpg

2015-10-29%2B22.32.43.jpg

Wolf Lord is still WIP, and his face isnt that bright, its just too damn dark in here if I turn flash off. 

Chaos Wolves would look epic. Was thinking of that myself, but changed my mind after reading the Ragnar omnibus books, didnt help that I just started watching Vikings as well. Might do some Chaos Wolves at some point for some Viking on Viking mayhem. 

Actually didnt expect Abby to turn out that well considering the bits I used were due to go into the bin, thick paint on them, glue splashes and bits broken. Just shows you should never throw anything away :lol:

Greetings all, and welcome to another week where we contemplate suicide due to the misery of life chat with a Lord Frater of the Unholy Legions. This week we sit down with Castigator, one of the truest sons of Slaanesh on the forums, and ask him those ten dreaded questions, that must be answered at the interviewee's mortal peril!

How did you become a Chaos Lord?

With some Chaos Lords it is a slow, lingering corruption that consumes the soul one piece at a time, until one day they look at themselves in the mirror and realise they have fallen to the dark gods. Not so with me, ever eager for new experiences, word reached me of a sacred tomb that promised endless opportunities to enlighten one's soul. After a perilous journey through the dark labyrinth of Leeds' sprawling streets, I entered a seedy little establishment and secured possession of this wondrous tomb.

The memory of my final act as a man of free will, still haunts my dreams as I replay the moment I first ran my hand across the title of this great tomb....Realm of Chaos Slaves To Darkness.....then willingly pledged my soul to Slaanesh!

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Originally, I was more interested in painting than playing and I could probably count the games on one hand I had used them in 2nd edition. When 3rd edition hit, the game became much more accessible to people and the tournament scene thrived. So it was around 98/99 that I played them regularly, but I had played them earlier.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

It has to be my Castigators Chaos Marines, they've been around for about 27 years now (yikes!!) and without a doubt they are the reason I'm still in the hobby.

Legion wise it was the Emperors Children, but as the history of my Castigators has grown, so has their rivalry as the true Chosen of Slaanesh. Thanks to Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Forge World, my favourite Legion has to be the Night Lords. Their psychotic Primarch with his independent nature and complex issues makes for the perfect anti-hero which appeals to old punk like me.....and the Forge World model of him is sublime!

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

This is impossible to answer, as it all depends on my mood. I enjoy painting and converting, but I also enjoy playing campaigns, tournaments or one off games. I love reading the Black Library novels, reading battle reports and all of the great blogs that are out there and I dread to think how much time I spend reading the forum. The only real answer I could give is that this is the perfect hobby for me, there are so many aspects to 40k that I know I will never get bored and leave the hobby, even when I don't always like the rules to the game msn-wink.gif

What is your play style?

Close combat.....not charge and smash you in the face combat, but dance around you, taunt you, woo you, then slice your face off combat. Sadly, that's not easy with Chaos Marines, but with a few Daemons added to the mix I find it very satisfying luring the enemy to charge my Slaanesh Furies, then counter charging with my Bikers, Spawn and Daemonettes.

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I was really chuffed to write a battle report for White Dwarf with my Castigators a lot of years ago and I was proud to represent England in the ETC for a couple of years. However, my greatest achievement is all of the friends I've made from 40k over the years. This year was a significant birthday for me and I was all for forgetting about it, but thanks to my long time gaming mates, five of them whisked me away to Rome for 4 days to give me one the best times I've ever had. Without 40k I would never have met these guys and I consider it a honour and a privilege to count them as my greatest achievement, not just in 40k, but in life.

Do you collect and play any other armies?

I have a Witch Hunter army that I played all of 5th edition with but they've been sitting in their case waiting for some love after GW butchered their Codex,. I have an Eldar army that I've refused to play for the last two editions of their Codex because they are simply too powerful. I have some Tau which I won a tournament with the first time I used them and vowed never to use them again blush.png and I have a Space Wolves army that I've used once. These days I'm only interested in Chaos Marines with a few Daemons thrown in to give them some bite.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Game wise, I've never been into named characters as I've always preferred my own. Fluff wise, it has to be Konrad Curze, he is just deliciously twisted....a bit like Ramsey Bolton from Game of Thrones, who happens to be my favourite character.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

It used to be Fulgrim, I enjoyed the 40k version Dorian Gray. ADB's Talon of Horus really blew that out of the water though, best book so far without a shadow of a doubt.

Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

There's no right or wrong way to play the game, just have fun playing it your way.

Ah! Castigator! Yours is such an inspirational army for us devotees of Slaanesh!

#prostrates oneself#

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of?

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

High praise indeed Brother!

I'm not sure if I have a model that I'm most proud of. I always think that I could improve them just that little bit more if I spent more time on them or that I wish I had done it differently. If I had to choose, it would be my Chapter Master Nestor Lustheart, my Sorceror Lucian Soulweaver and for impact factor, my Rhino.

Nestor Lustheart - Notice the adamantium coated right hand which was sliced from my brother in sin's arm on my ascension as Chosen of Slaanesh

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/Nestor.jpg

Lucian Soulweaver - The Kingmaker and the real power behind the Castigators.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/Mobile%20Uploads/20151014_163139.jpg

Divine Bliss - This is well over 10 years old now, but I think it still holds up pretty well.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/rhino1.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/rhino2.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/rhino4.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/rhino3.jpg

My dream project is a tricky one......I think it would have to be a Chaos Warhound Titan, it's a gorgeous model, but I suffer from Hobby Butterfly Syndrome and I know full well I'd never finish it msn-wink.gif

I will retrieve my hand at some point Brother msn-wink.gif

Dream on Oathbreaker.......She Who Thirsts has tasked me with taking your perfidious head for the insult visited upon Our Lady......and it is a task that will bring me great delight Brother!

He only recently switched from lurking to contributing, but his online reputation as one of the Dark Council of the former XVII legion had preceded him. His Word Bearers are absolutely out of this world, and he's made some of the most amazing miniatures over the years. Among his most hallowed creations is a 'Super Heavy Church', Vox Deorum. We had to show you a picture to go with this interview, but be sure to check out this thread dedicated to it. His name is The Prophet, and his newest thread can be found here.

Hidden Content

med_gallery_25850_1043_45070.jpg

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?
2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Twenty years ago there was a fabulous yellow Abaddon-covered "Codex Chaos" that really spoke to me. I had played Warhammer Fantasy and really started to like the Chaos side of things. So when my friends wanted to play 40k I took Chaos as my project. At that time, there was little understanding of the background, so I set out to play all legions at once. Very clever!

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

I don't think it will surprise anyone that the 17th Legion, the Word Bearers, are my true favourites. My love for the zealots has a mythological beginning. Either I have read an actual text - or I have dreamt about reading a text - that spoke about some Word Bearers facing an enemy army, begging them to join Chaos. When their foes rejected the offer they got wiped out by the angry red marines. I have searched for this text but not found it. It may not exist. Tell me if you know!

There is also some very real sources of inspiration and that's primarily the lack of background in the old fluff (spurring me to make my own stuff up) and now the awesome background that has come to life. Also the "chaos conversion page" in the above mentioned codex, page 47. Oh those lovely tricks back in the day, when Blue Tack covered in super glue had the role of Green Stuff and pouring stearic on a model was a legit way of making things Nurgle.

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

The building of models is my number one reason for staying in the hobby for so long. I rarely play, once a year perhaps, but building, converting and painting is what I do most. If only you could switch peoples arms and heads in real life with such good results!

5.) What is your play style?

Full frontal aggression combined with a large doze of deep striking units, that's how I roll. Short-ranged weapons for opening the metal boxes, and then kill-maim(-burn) the rest in hand to hand!

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

In 2012 Games Workshop featured my Vox Deorum (Super-Heavy Church) and my Dark Apostle in What’s New Today, which I thought was really cool. The first game of Apocalypse that I organized for my friends is my fondest memory in the gaming perspective.

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?

I still have a few models of each Legion, but those old models are best not shown in daylight or I will have people traumatized. I have an army of Iron Warriors and a small band of Thousand Sons. Other than that there are some Necron Raiders lurking in my boxes as well. I consider Daemons and Traitor guard as a part of my CSM forces.

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Erebus is number one. Number two is Erebus and number three is Fabius Bile. You can’t really argue with a badass conspirator riding a ship called Destiny’s Hand. Alright, so he lost his face once, so what?! Erebus will always be the coolest character in the background.

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

Know No Fear by Dan Abnett is propably the book I have enjoyed the most, but it’s really hard to pick between books in such a rich collection of awesome HH literature that exists today.

10.) Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

Never give up! Never sell a painted model! Always love the game and the hobby!

A master of the XVII legion indeed!

I put to you the two usual questions...

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of other than Vox Deorum?

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

A master of the XVII legion indeed!

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of other than Vox Deorum?

Thanks! Oh but that's more tricky. I think I'll dodge the question by giving you three. The one I've spent the most time on except for the church is this one:

gallery_25850_1043_40607.jpg

It's rather dated though and I'm not very proud of some parts of it. The idea is good, but could have been carried out better with more patience. It's fun that almost noone sees the daemon coming out of the fire. Another more recent project is the Kerberodium below:

gallery_25850_1043_39518.jpg

Can you see a trend? Me making some religious walkaround-vehicle that preaches the Word of Lorgar. There cannot be too many of those! This one below is not as vocal or as frenzied, though it has some loudspeakers at least and I really like I have a contemptor already painted for Betrayal at Calth:

gallery_25850_1043_24986.jpg

And to answer your second question - my dream is to be touched by the warp so I could never sleep and instead have eight secret hours at night for painting av building all the stuff that I have never started on, but optimistically purchased. A modest super power perhaps, but it's an honest one... laugh.png

/The Prophet

Once again, it is my pleasure to introduce you to yet another Chaos Lord. You know him as the dude with the ridiculously clean highlights on his Night Lords, when it fact there is much more to AlanofAngels. So without further ado, let us begin.

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Much like many of the original traitor legionnaires, I had a friend fall first. That however didn’t seem to be enough for the Dark Gods, and as such he felt compelled to lure me to the dark side, so to speak. I quickly discovered the rich background offered by Chaos and that they weren’t merely the “bad guys” but were more like the “other guys” in a bad universe. Since then, I have had a variety of legion interests, but most recently fallen in with my beloved VIIIth, the Night Lords.

2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

I, like many I am sure, started this hobby as a naïve loyalist, picking up some space marines, maybe some guard. That was around 2000 or so, and it took me a few years to find Chaos (I think when you’re younger you like being the “good guys”). For the better part of a decade, I have dabbled in chaos but for the past couple years or so have taken it full steam ahead.

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?
My favorite legion would have to be the Night Lords, though I also reserve a special part of my dark heart for the Alpha Legion. The Night Lords have always appealed to me because they exemplify, in my opinion, what the Traitor Legions have become since the Heresy; scavenging, self-loathing individuals held in a loose bond basically formed solely on their desire to continue to exist (or excel in the eye of their gods), realizing they wouldn’t make it far alone. That’s what I love about the VIIIth, they don’t even partake in many of the Legion wars against the Imperium, and they could not care less about their image in the eyes of the Dark Gods. They unabashedly prefer to fight on their own fronts, either in raiding parties or in confrontations with themselves for dominance over what few resources they have. Talk about self-loathing!

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

The background has always been my favorite part, and in turn the painting/modelling portion of the hobby. Gaming has always sort of come tertiary to me, preferring to paint and model with friends. I initially got introduced to the hobby by simply seeing my friend’s space marines, and creating an atmosphere has always been something I’ve strived for with my models.

5.) What is your play style?

As I mentioned, I maybe get a game in once a month or so (hopefully more once this army is larger), but I would say my preferred play style is more of a mobile, hard hitting list (exemplified by most Dark Eldar lists). With Chaos that can be difficult to achieve, but I do my best by equipping most units with special weapons and giving them transports, trying to polish the turd that is generic Chaos Space marines msn-wink.gif . I also love units like terminators, not just because of the deep-striking 2-ton awesomesauce that is TDA, but because it fits the play style I prefer. To have units like that in the backfield so early just sounds cool to me.

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I haven’t entered any painting contests in the past few years, but I love getting involved in those. The last one I entered was (I think) in 2012, where Games Workshop had painting competitions for Lord of the Rings, giving away 2 of the Games Day miniatures and 2 Tickets to the winner. I ended up taking first, so got a free trip to Games Day with my buddy. I always just remember that competition because Games Day was rolled into it. On an aside, I miss Games day and wish they would bring it back!

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?

I think like most people who have been in this hobby for more than a few years, I have picked up a kit of almost every army at one point or another, either because it looks cool or I’m just getting burnt out on my current project. My favorite alternate army is, fittingly, Dark Eldar. Since they are basically just the Xenos version of Night Lords, I suppose it doesn’t even really count!

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Man, that’s a tough one! Would it be too cliché to say Talos? I reserve a special love for Khârn, who used to be so one dimensional until the Black Library got ahold of him and gave him an awesome backstory. My favorite character would have to be Xarl, from the Night Lords Omnibus by AD-B. He exemplifies the legion, but still has a certain level in pride in what they do, unlike a lot of the other VIIIth legionnaires who have sort of lost their way. He’s not a main character by any stretch, and as such has a lot of background to be filled in, which makes me like him even more.

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

I think it goes without saying it would be the entire Night Lords Trilogy by AD-B. I think my favorite non-Night Lord book would be Betrayer. It’s one of the few books you get to see Angron not as a complete raving lunatic. Of course also getting large doses of the Khârn and Argel-Tal bro-down makes for awesome reading as well, and getting to see Lorgar actually pull his weight for once and not cry a ton was nice tongue.png

10.) Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

I think one of the biggest bits of wisdom I can impart would be to pick armies based on backgrounds and aesthetics, not on rules. Rules are always changing, and the longevity in the army is found through actually enjoying the models and background. For me, I quickly found that enjoying the troop models made me a lot more excited to work on a project. Since they comprise such a large portion of the army, enjoying modelling and painting the “mundane” dudes makes it a lot more fun, and feel less like a hoop to jump through on the way to painting those centerpiece models.

This would have to be my favorite model to date:

gallery_47732_9950_873438.jpg

Thanks guys!

-Alan

Awesome read. Thanks Alan!

I really am impressed by your Night Lords and wish I could paint that neatly!

Also, @The Prophet: I've seen all those models before of course, but am still amazed by them. Particularly the walking shrine and yes indeed I haven't ever noticed the daemon coming out of the flames. Could you perhaps make a close up of it, as it's not that easy to see. :tu: :D

Another good read. I particularly liked the advice about choosing an army you like the aesthetics of. I've been working on my CSM for a year or so now, have never gamed with them yet, but am hooked.

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of?

Oi! You can't go answering questions before they're asked!

Lovely work. I think that's the second Chaos conversion I've seen of that loyalist model and it always looks so much better once corrupted! :D

Archived