++Interview with a Chaos Lord++ Andra'Melek p.9

Augustus b'Raass

Yeah, those Spawn are far too realistic for any sane mind to create...

Coming from someone whose screen-name is The Psycho, I'll take that as high praise :D

I still have one more partially built, nicknamed "The Kiss", and plan to get another box of ghouls to put together as a single Giant Spawn: an amalgam of many, many people.

I still have one more partially built, nicknamed "The Kiss", and plan to get another box of ghouls to put together as a single Giant Spawn: an amalgam of many, many people.

Makes me think of the Vozhd, a similar patchwork of people and animals created by the vampiric sorcerers of Clan Tzimisce, known as Koldun, in the Vampire: the Masquerade World of Darkness setting.

Thanks for the info, Augustus. I haven't played Vampire but looked into the Vozhd after you mentioned it. Very interesting.

I haven't yet decided what shape the big one will take, but likely serpentine.

This week our unwitting victim I meant Chaos Lord, is Venomlust. Known on the boards as  'the guy with that Chaos Lord on the dragon', he was quite an early proponent of the new Daemonkin codex, and as you can see in his log, he has quite the obsession with Juggernauts! So without further adieu, let the interrogation commence:

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?

"By claiming the skull of everyone who stood in my way! There was a time when I served as a slave to the corpse god, blind to the real power in the galaxy. When I turned my back on that life, strength and domination became my only goals. I set out to become the blood god's mightiest champion. In time, I found warbands willing to hire my blade or invite me to join in the plunder of weakling worlds. Khorne smiled on me, and I butchered my way to the top. Be they pathetic xenos, loyalist dogs, or fellow servants of the gods, I laid their skulls at the throne of the Bloodfather and gained his favor. Now warriors flock to my banner, eager to join in the slaughter. We shake a planet to its core beneath the thundering hooves of our juggernauts, smashing through any obstacles on our way to victory. Come, cross blades with me if you've grown tired of living."

In seriousness, I must answer this question humbly. I do my best to live up to this title on the tabletop, but I wouldn't exactly say I'm a great "general" or tactician. I have quite a large collection of Chaos Space Marines and Daemons, and I've attempted to use those models and units in many different ways. Over time, I gradually became better at both list building and tabletop maneuvers. I still have a long way to go, but I've won about as many games as I've lost, which is good enough for now! 

2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Though I began collecting and "playing" with 40k minis when I was ten years old (nineteen years ago, yeesh) I only began playing the game properly three years ago.

The time seemed right, and I couldn't resist the call of the gods any longer. I started with a used army that included a nice mix of units purchased on eBay. A few months later I bought a Daemons army off of a friend, and then of course had to buy supplements to that army as well! Since then I have expanded the army considerably: there are mountains and boxes of bits and kits waiting to be assembled. It will probably take me years to get it all done, maybe even a decade.

Khorne Daemonkin was finally the answer to my bloodthirsty prayers. This has become my main army, the one I play most often and the one I'll probably be playing exclusively until new editions of the other codices are released. It isn't perfect, but it suits me fine.

All told, I have no idea how large my army is in terms of points. Easily above 15,000.

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

This is a tough decision, because I think most of them are pretty awesome.  Though from time to time I have a passing interest in the Black Legion, the Alpha Legion, Night Lords, or Iron Warriors, the ultimate answer is always the World Eaters. I am a slave of the blood god, after all.

It's more than that, though. I think of all the original legions, their story is by far the most tragic. Before they were united with their father Angron, they were a legit Astartes Legion. Due to the crazy things he went through in his life and the way he was reunited with the Emperor, he became so twisted and bitter that he would never know his true potential as a primarch, or even care about reaching it.

The Butcher's Nails! What a crazy piece of tech.  In the funny way that legionnaires are essentially children in terms of their desire to please their fathers, they did whatever they could to be more like theirs. Once those nails were implanted in his sons, I think the transformation to berzerkers was inevitable, and that set them down the path to becoming what they are today. The Eaters of Worlds! Killing is the only thing that can dull the rage and pain, and that is what they do best. They became the mirrors of their father that they aspired to be, for better or worse.

I'm glad they turned their backs on the ridiculous Imperium. Angron had enough of slavedrivers during his time as a gladiator, and could never get over the loss of his comrades due to the Emperor's interference. He made the choices that came naturally to him. He didn't want to subdue a galaxy for his father's sake, he didn't want to be told what to do by his sycophantic brothers who dared to chastise him; he just wanted to KILL!

That is what it means to be a World Eater. Just give them a chainaxe with sharp teeth and a body -- any body -- to hack apart while screaming like madmen. No doomed Long War to waste their time on, no intrigue or plots, no cowardly witchcraft; only BLOOD AND SKULLS!

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

By far my favorite aspect of the game is kitbashing and converting my miniatures, and admiring the work of other like-minded individuals out there who are often leagues ahead of me in terms of talent and experience. Often the stock kits from GW are cool, but especially as far as Chaos goes they do a very poor job of representing the individuality of us so-called "traitors" and the infinite creative potential of the warp. That or they are rather stale in terms of their quality compared to more modern sculpts, so a custom creation can often come out looking better. It's an opportunity to exercise creativity and some artistic skills in terms of design and even sculpting (which I'm not very good at, but I do try from time to time), which is very important to me. Any opportunity for artistic expression is worthwhile, especially when it involves this grimdark universe I've come to love so dearly.

5.) What is your play style?

Like you have to ask: Throw caution to the wind, close the gap with the enemy as quickly as possible, charge them, and rip them apart in glorious close combat. Repeat until only one of us has minis left on the table.

It's not to say I don't try to make tactically sound decisions, but the main focus is multiples of fast-moving units that are somewhat versatile in their ability to deal with various threats. Bloodthirsters, Spawn, Heldrakes, Flesh Hounds, Bikers, and Maulerfiends form the bulk of my favorite army list. Two minimum units of Cultists to die so the more useful elements can attempt to have FNP up at all times. I don't much care for summoning, in general I go for the effects that enhance survivability in close combat which the army is often lacking.

Juggernauts are the core of my design style as well as my play style. Lords on juggernauts, juggernauts as Spawn, and Berzerkers riding juggernauts who count as bikers. I think they are just so damn cool! I can't get enough. I still have a few to build, but counting all those types of models I easily have at least 40 juggernauts in my possession. Don't think I'm not crazy enough to buy more, either!

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

The creation of my Lord on juggernaut is probably my favorite achievement as far as the hobby goes, but ultimately I think the best part of playing 40k has been the friendships I've made over the past few years. We started as strangers playing 40k in the GW store, but gradually we have gotten to know each other and will invite each other into our homes for food, drinking, and good times.  We just want to roll some dice and see some cool stuff happen on the tabletop. Winning is important, but the goal is just having a good time, which we always achieve. We're always very encouraging to each other regarding the hobby or real-life endeavors and experiences, and I hope I'm able to continue playing with these guys for years to come.

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?

Well, I have some Chaos Daemons. A bit of Nurgle and Slaanesh, not much Tzeentch. I kick around the idea of starting up some Traitor Guard from IA:13 or Vraks, but I think it would be best to assemble what I have before dumping even more cash on a third army.  I don't ever plan to stray from the forces of Chaos. I'd expand the factions within my collection, but I don't think I'll ever start a loyalist or xenos army. The very idea sickens me.

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Khârn is of course a great one. Especially cool was seeing his development during the 30k-era books. The KILL! MAIM! BURN! Khârn we have today is awesome and a total badass, but not very interesting in terms of storytelling. The equerry who tried to keep his legion together while his father and brothers descended into madness around him made for a much more characterful experience.

To be honest, I would need to read more background to give this one a proper answer beyond Khârn. My knowledge is more restricted to stuff from codices and their performance on the tabletop. But our buddy Khârn -- both in the books and on the table -- absolutely delivers.

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

Definitely Betrayer. We get the perspective of both Khârn and Angron in one book, and bear witness to their transformations. Angron's, of course, isn't very subtle. He turns into a friggin' daemon prince. Khârn's is by far more powerful, to me. He's fighting against the Butcher's Nails, trying to keep Angron happy (or at least calm), and doing what he can to prevent every battle from ending in a total disaster for his brothers. It isn't until his friend Argel Tal is killed that he loses it. And it isn't even that he becomes the berserk madman that we know in the 40k universe. He just isn't the same person any more after that moment. There is no one he feels a connection to, no one to confide in or laugh with. Sanguis extremis with Erebus was both the most satisfying and frustrating moment. The coward escaped by the skin of his teeth!

10.) Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

My parting thoughts:

1.) Never forget that 40k is just a game. Yes, it's a game that we invest substantial dollars and time into, but it will change. We won't always like those changes, but chances are we can adapt and find new ways to enjoy the game as long as we aren't too rigid in our expectations. If your goals include having fun, being creative, and rolling some dice, then I don't think you will ever be disappointed. If the game changes in a way we don't like, then we can either move on to something else or find a way to enjoy it. Spending time being bitter and whiny (which I'm guilty of from time to time) will not result in happiness. Ever.

2.) Give homebrewing a shot. There is no reason we have to absolutely abide by the rules and units that Games Workshop has given us. If you want a unit to exist, make up some rules and playtest with your friends. Don't make it cheesy, and don't insist that your friends tone down their reasonably balanced units because you don't enjoy a challenge. Keep everyone's fun in mind, because we don't play this game by ourselves!

3.) This applies to life as a whole as well as 40k: It's easy to feel sometimes that our preferences or beliefs are inherently superior to those of others. This is wrong. There is rarely a better or worse, especially where the hobby is concerned. The way I do things isn't the only way, and my point of view is not the only one with value. Appreciate the fact that although we are different people with differing goals, priorities, and strategies for achieving them, we are human beings and thus there is a lot we have in common and everyone is worthy of some measure of respect. Please don't put other people down because they don't approach the hobby in the same manner that you do. None of us are master of the 40k universe; it is vast enough to accommodate everyone.

Thanks for the opportunity to share and be a part of this great community.

Venomlust A.K.A. "Juggernut"

And here they are:

I. Can you please show us the model you're most proud of in addition to images of your lord? :)

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

Great interview I now really want to read betrayer

I too recommend you do so! :tu:

I've never particularly been a World Eaters fan but that is a fantastic book.

Puts 'Bretrayer' into work bag for a reread starting tomorrow

See? World Eater kids know where it's at, Khârn does work regardless of 10,000 years :d

Also, props for thinking up a blog name like Amateur Khornestar.

...puns for the pun God.

Here's Arctos Gorehowl, my lord of chaos/daemon prince type fellow on his warp dragon. He's a WIP:

http://i.imgur.com/YE8RGM9h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NzsicbPh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ul1K47Ih.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Y3nk5coh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JPsTN3mh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zXQ5wcNh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FTCGA3ah.jpg

Here is the lord on Juggernaut I built a couple of years ago. I need to put the finishing touches on him and get him painted some day (along with everything else :P). The position of his arms is different, he's holding the axe higher as if he's about to swing it.

http://i.imgur.com/v8IY57mh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UXRmOBmh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OhQV9Vgh.jpg

Those are some seriously impressive models!

Lovely work.

But you didn't answer my second question! :P

Bloody Khorne worshippers and their short attention spans. Blood, blood, blood, murder, murder, murder, burn, burn, burn...

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

Haha, whoops!

Well, my dream project is to finish the Brass Stampede, my Khornate legion. It is an army of juggernauts.

~25 bikers, which are sort of chainaxe-wielding daemonkin berzerkers riding juggernauts.

Then there are about 15 spawn, which are riderless bloodcrusher juggernauts.

A table covered in juggernauts. That is my dream.

Hah! Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

You know, as far as a 30k legion goes, sometimes I kick around the idea of World Eaters but I'm not so sure I want to play an army that so closely mirrors the ethos of my main 40k army.

I'm sorta thinking about trying the Thousand Sons once they get some minis and unique uni -- *KABOOM* -- GRAARGHDFLSDLFASDGGRLSSDDFPFFFF!

Venomlust has been transformed into a Spawn for his talk of employing witchcraft like a coward.

I don't know too much about 30k gameplay but it seems as though so far psykers are pretty lousy. Or at least the options available are lousy. Considering how powerful Thousand Sons psykers were/are, theirs better be good.

I don't know too much about 30k gameplay but it seems as though so far psykers are pretty lousy. Or at least the options available are lousy. Considering how powerful Thousand Sons psykers were/are, theirs better be good.

The reason the Prospero book is indefinitely on hold, is apparently that they had (are having) a very hard time balancing the power of the Thousand Sons Psykers. Expect good things.

Archived