Imperial Taipans

EesiOh

Chapter Name: Imperial Taipans 

Warcry - With Overwhelming Force (whenever assaulting a location the Imperial Taipans hack into the enemy com network and fill it with the sound of hissing snakes) 

Founding - 21st

Primarch - Corax

Sucessor of - Raven Guard

Homeworld - Anzas'Ark

Chapter Master - Kalta Morai

Heraldry 

Straya

Untitled

Home System

The Nulius System is home to the Imperial Taipans, it is made up of 2 extremely large planets and a colossal sun. There are also many asteroid belts in the system which can cause problems for navigation but only in rare cases.

Ularù was a Penal Colony until a manufactorum was found buried under its dusty red soil. Settlers were brought from Anzas'Ark to explore the planet further. Currently around 50 percent of the population (mostly convicts, some settlers) are technically enslaved by the Imperial Taipans, they work away on the many manufacotrums that have sprung up around the planet, creating everythig the chapter and system could need.

Anzas'Ark is the primaris planet in the system. The planet is huge and like its neighbour is mostly desert. It is one classification below a deathworld as the settlements on it thrive. But if not for the protection and vigilance of the Imperial Taipans, man would surely be wiped from the planet. The humans living on Anzas'Ark are dark skinned due to the harsh exposure of the the Nulius System's sun. They are very spiritual and live mostly in hunter gather tribes. (there are Hive Cities dotted around the planet as well, these cities are at imperial tech level, but most inhabitants of the planet prefer the way they live to living in a squalid hive city) They are also highly spiritual, a trait the Taipans admire and encourage

Because of the Schism between Mars and Anzas'Ark the Techmarines of the chapter must teach each other in the ways of the Omnisiah. To make sure all the wisdom that can possibly be passed on is passed on Techmarines are almost always interned into Techmarine Dreadnuaghts.

The Imperial Taipans are on a bad terms with the Mechanicus and as such their battlebrothers are no longer welcome on Mars

Recruitment

The Imperial Taipans recruit from both planets in the Nullius system though they prefer recruits from Anzas'Ark. The people that lived their are a hardy and resourceful folk, whose skin has the appearance of copper due to the proximity of the sole sun in the system and the immense levels of UV rays it gives off.

To be considered for the process of becoming an astartes one must first bring the head of one of the 5 most deadly predators on Anzas'Ark to the Imperial Taipans fortress monastery. After that aspirants are considered and if accepted will undergo the necessary procedures. Once becoming a scout, the only way to progress to full battle brother (barring extraordinary circumstances) is to bring back the heads of the for other predators. Once that is completed they may move on through the ranks in the traditional space marine manner       

Gene-seed

The Imperial Taipans are one of the chapters from the 'Cursed' 21st founding. In an attempt to fix the damaged geenseed of the Raven Guard various experiments were carried out leading to some unlooked for responses. Imperial Taipens may actually use their bletchers gland unlike their fathers, but it manifests itself as hollow fangs in place of canines, these fangs are filled with a deadly poison. They cannot spit acid and rely on this instead. The other experiment done was an attempt to correct the Mucranoid implants, this cured the Imperial Taipans of their albinoism. Instead pushing them in the other direction, their skin is coal black, and due to this, upon first encountering them it is sometimes assumed they are members of the Salamders.

Organization

Currently the Imperial Taipans are at almost full strength (915 marines) after just completing a recruitment drive of the system

⦁ Forces - codex-compliant? assault heavy? why? unusually well equipped? lots of vehicles or just generally better equipment? favourite weapon types? any special formations within the chapter (eg. ravenwing, death company)? what are these made of and why do they exist? are the companies organized according to codex? if not, whats different and why?

⦁ Command Structure - Is the chapter led by an absolute leader? is the chapter master more like a first among equals? is there a reason for this? Is it missing one of the hq elements (chaplins, librarians, apothecaries)? do any of the HQ elements serve a dual purpose or have extra duties? Do company leaders have greater than normal freedom?

Beliefs

Due to their strong warrior culture the Imperial Taipans hold the Emperor as a mixture between the standard space marine belief and the standard imperial belief. They seem him as the pinnacle of what a warrior should be, but due to thier culture that makes him nearly interchangeable with a god  

Many of the rituals of the Nullius system have been incorporated into the teachings of the Spirit Walkers in an attempt to further ground brothers from the dangers of the Dream Time, but also in a way to make sense of the incoherent gibberish and random markings that are often created by a battle brother in his hallucinogenic state 

The Imperial Taipans are known for their dour and resolute nature. While they are not necessarily disliked by other agents of the Imperium they are known for being rather humourless and for preferring the company of their own chapter to that of outsiders. They are by no means secretive, but simply dont talk to other groups and organisations. Beyond this they view themselves as protectors of Humanity as a whole but not necessarily of humans as individuals. To help run the giant manufactorums on Ularù they have essentially enslaved half of the populace, but as that aids them in there war effort they see what they have done as a good thing. 

Heraldry

Symbol Glatorian Vastus Elemental

The Imperial Taipans heraldic are the colours of the desert, Stealthy and pragmatic they see no point in being at being disadvantaged in there own enviroment. 

The Space Marines of the Imperial Taipans daub themselves with special ochres, either to denote certain honours, or because they wish to convey something on their amour. They also take the teeth of Proscillians and fashion them into daggers, or carry them in a similar way to space wolves

Noteworthy Individuals

Kalta Morai is the current chapter master of the Imperial Taipans and a superb warrior in his own right, Borne on the Penal World of Ularù he stowed away on a ship to Anzas'Ark and through himself head first into making himself better, to this he believed he had to become a space marine. Due to the large amount of time he spent on Anzas'Ark and also his friendship with the Spirit Walker Akona has led to him shaping the image in a more spiritual path than it was. 

Noteworthy Events

The Awakening (013.M36)

The awakening was the discovery by the Taipans of the state they have termed 'Dream Time' This caused much confusion and chaos within the chapter until the Chief Librarian and Chaplain combined their two collective offices to sort out the problems of this hallucinogenic state. Hence forth Librarians must undergo training in the Reclusiam and take the mantle of the spirit walker when their extra study is complete. (It should be noted that Chaplains still exist within the chapter, but in a lesser role than what would usually be expected. The reculiarch will always be a spirit walker)

The Schism (666.M39)

Buried deep beneath a giant and ancient monolith of red stone on the penal world Ularù an ancient Manufactorum is discovered, inside it is an STC fragment designated by the Taipans as the Landspeeder Mokoi. Similar to a Landspeeder Storm, it is large enough to carry 5 fully armoured space marines, even those wearing jump-packs. Due to the style of warfare prosecuted by the Taipans it's construction is a jealously guarded secret. Not even the threats of the Ad-Mech refusing Taipan techprisets was enough to sway the incumbent chapter master and so now all Imperial Taipan space marines are forbidden from ever setting foot on the red planet 

What are suggestion of large scale wars that a 21st founding chapter could fight in? 

Are you looking for canon events or just types of event? I'd recommend avoiding name-dropping canon events for the sake of it, btw

What are suggestion of large scale wars that a 21st founding chapter could fight in? 

Are you looking for canon events or just types of event? I'd recommend avoiding name-dropping canon events for the sake of it, btw

maybe 1 cannon event. So far I have created 4 loyalist and 3 heretic space marine chapters and im getting tired of coming up with my own stuff. So really I just want 1 major battle that is set after the 21st founding (3rd war of amergadon maybe?) 

Why are they on bad terms with mars? Also, being 21st founding what kind of setbacks have befallen them? There might be something else you can do with the mucranoid as well- black makes it seem as though they used salamander gene seed for the replacement which is really just the inverse of the raven guard's problem. Perhaps they have a more unusual issue with it, such as patterning and/or 'venomous' colors.

Why are they on bad terms with mars? Also, being 21st founding what kind of setbacks have befallen them? There might be something else you can do with the mucranoid as well- black makes it seem as though they used salamander gene seed for the replacement which is really just the inverse of the raven guard's problem. Perhaps they have a more unusual issue with it, such as patterning and/or 'venomous' colors.

I know there is a curse associated with 21st I just haven't found one. Considering that the curse is often just terrible luck (Lamenters for example) the curse could be something to do with their estrangement from mars. (when I have everything worked out I will actually add it to the post) as for the colouring I actually love the idea that of them gaining some kind of striping, like orange and black or something suitably 'venomous' as you so aptly put it  

you have a number of decision points thoughout the article and it prompted me to think of Conn Eremon's recent Highborn post.

perhaps random rolling these elements might take the chapter in an unexpected/interesting direction for you, if you're not dedicated to specific points already.

is their chapter master named mikus dundii by any chance :)

the colour scheme initially made me think of the pattern on a cobra hood.

keep up the good work. look forward to the end product!

Hello Brother

Maybe instead of saying you're chapter was involved with a major battle canon event like the 3rd Armageddon war, rather write up something tied to it. For example your chapter intercepted a huge (and a mean huge, almost another waagh!!) ork fleet on its way to Armageddon and prevented/destroyed it. The benefit of this is that your the sole heroes and the combatants of Armageddon is in your debt, even if they are unaware of it.

I'm considering doing something similar with my chapters extinction level event (the event where we almost die but don't).  

Hey Markham82, Eesioh,

Side tangent to your idea Markham82, I was considering that it could also be amusing to have shared battles/events that Liberites could reference of our own making.

So the 'Imperial Taipans', 'Doom Reapers' and 'Death Forge' for example (plus any other takers) all respond to a massive waaargh in "Blahbity Sector" that would avoid the canon name dropping issues, create some interaction, and a 'common event'.

Not necessarily suggesting that we collectively write a synopsis for the entire campaign though.

Don't want to highjack your thread any further Eesioh, but putting the idea out there. Worth a thread?

Hey Markham82, Eesioh,

Side tangent to your idea Markham82, I was considering that it could also be amusing to have shared battles/events that Liberites could reference of our own making.

So the 'Imperial Taipans', 'Doom Reapers' and 'Death Forge' for example (plus any other takers) all respond to a massive waaargh in "Blahbity Sector" that would avoid the canon name dropping issues, create some interaction, and a 'common event'.

Not necessarily suggesting that we collectively write a synopsis for the entire campaign though.

Don't want to highjack your thread any further Eesioh, but putting the idea out there. Worth a thread?

if you are the one thats making the thread than go ahead. dont want the Taipans to get all lonely by themselves :^) 

If they are 21st founding, they definitely need a good curse. This is one of the main reasons I've decided the Shadow Wolves shouldn't be 21st founding any more, because, even if they are actually destroyed (or the majority of the chapter is), this isn't a big enough deal to leave them be as a Cursed chapter.

In the same way, being on bad terms with the Mechanicum isn't enough of a curse, as many other chapters also have frosty relations with them, even non-21st (though, granted, generally not enough to actually stop the training of Techmarines)

The Schism between Anzas'ark and the Adeptus Mechanicus seems like quite a big part of your fluff but you don't expand upon it:

• Why does it happen ?
  • What does the training of the techmarines within your chapter mean for them ? Is their training sub-par ? is it actually better ? Have they started leaving the worship of the Omnissiah, at least as it is taught by Mars, leading them to be ever closer to Hereteks ?
  • What does it mean as to the equipment of the chapter ?
  • Would it actually lead to all out combat between your chapter and Mechanicus forces ? In what circumstances : would they need first to become Hereteks ; would they need to brave the ban and visit a Forge World ; or would they simply need to turn up to the same fight as a bunch of Skitarii ?
  • What does it mean for your relations towards chapters that are much closer to the Mechanicum (like the Iron Hands and their gene-sons the Death Forge) ?

Also, what does having poison fangs mean to them ? Do they use them in combat, meaning that they don't wear helmets ? Or do they hide them from their brothers, fearing the retribution of the Inquisition ?

If they are 21st founding, they definitely need a good curse. This is one of the main reasons I've decided the Shadow Wolves shouldn't be 21st founding any more, because, even if they are actually destroyed (or the majority of the chapter is), this isn't a big enough deal to leave them be as a Cursed chapter.

In the same way, being on bad terms with the Mechanicum isn't enough of a curse, as many other chapters also have frosty relations with them, even non-21st (though, granted, generally not enough to actually stop the training of Techmarines)

The Schism between Anzas'ark and the Adeptus Mechanicus seems like quite a big part of your fluff but you don't expand upon it:

• Why does it happen ?
  • What does the training of the techmarines within your chapter mean for them ? Is their training sub-par ? is it actually better ? Have they started leaving the worship of the Omnissiah, at least as it is taught by Mars, leading them to be ever closer to Hereteks ?
  • What does it mean as to the equipment of the chapter ?
  • Would it actually lead to all out combat between your chapter and Mechanicus forces ? In what circumstances : would they need first to become Hereteks ; would they need to brave the ban and visit a Forge World ; or would they simply need to turn up to the same fight as a bunch of Skitarii ?
  • What does it mean for your relations towards chapters that are much closer to the Mechanicum (like the Iron Hands and their gene-sons the Death Forge) ?

Also, what does having poison fangs mean to them ? Do they use them in combat, meaning that they don't wear helmets ? Or do they hide them from their brothers, fearing the retribution of the Inquisition ?

I am well aware of all your points thorn, but at the moment I am feeling incredibly lazy, I will actually make sure to flesh EVERYTHING out far beyond what it currently is (and as for the Mechanicus, I said it may be a tie-in to the curse, not the actual curse itself) 

I am well aware of all your points thorn, but at the moment I am feeling incredibly lazy, I will actually make sure to flesh EVERYTHING out far beyond what it currently is (and as for the Mechanicus, I said it may be a tie-in to the curse, not the actual curse itself)

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood laugh.png Well, you've got a month or so, which is loads of time smile.png

Hey Markham82, Eesioh,

hows the thread going? ;)

early days smile.png

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/314007-liber-campaigns/

if you want to add your own event(s) on there feel free.

i'm going to review what i've written in previous articles to see if there's anything suitable.

i'd chuck some likes around on the thread but I have run out, ill add some contributions tomorrow

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood laugh.png Well, you've got a month or so, which is loads of time smile.png

right so as a curse im thinking a state called the dream time: something activates in a battle brothers sus-an membrane causing him to fall into vivid hallucinations. Upon awakening (if they awaken) dormant latent psychic powers are awoken which can be used to devastating effect by the still disorientated marines. (to combat this maybe combine librarian and chaplain, to guide the brother on his psychic and spiritual journey?)

Sorry, I don't think I've really understood the concept: does it mean all of your marines have latent psychic powers, and they can all fall prone to the Dream Time ? If so, I'd steer well clear of that reef: Full chapters of psykers are best left to the Thousand Sons (Arguably) and the Grey Knights...

Sorry, I don't think I've really understood the concept: does it mean all of your marines have latent psychic powers, and they can all fall prone to the Dream Time ? If so, I'd steer well clear of that reef: Full chapters of psykers are best left to the Thousand Sons (Arguably) and the Grey Knights...

my bad writing, i apologise. To be honest i am not sure how i want to do it. Maybe for most marines its just the trance but for those with psychic powers it either amplifies them. Or just makes them wild and uncontrollable for a time. something like that 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived