Old Dogs New Tricks - Space Hulk

Kalrath

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! 

I'm now painting Wraithguard, but took a little break to finish a Deathwatch project.

I don't really feel like planes belong on a 28mm table, but I really like the Corvus, so, I decided to design a grav version:

I give you the Raven Darkstar Grav Assault Transport

raven-darkstar.jpg?w=1060

Still some touchups to do.

Here's another flier proxy. This time for the Stormtalon. This is my version of the Stormhound from Spikeybits:

stormhounddone.jpg?w=1060I've also been experimenting with Rendering software, so, might as well share a better pic of the Raven:

deathwath-raven-darkstar-e1543968766151.

Taking this Blog in another direction now.

With my Deathwatch army in the pipeline, I want my vehicles unique, with a more high-tech look than the current Rhino. I had the idea of using Clouseau’s Rhino from 15 years ago, but it’s wasn’t quite what I wanted, so decided to design one based on his model, but incorporating some aspect of the current one and also some other models.

https://olddogsnewtricksweb.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/capture.jpg?w=1060

The goal you ask? Resin Printing! No to save on money, but to have something different.

43389289_1590832767729777_33981413210204

Is resin printing the same as "traditional" 3D printing but with a resin material rather than a plastic ?

Great job on the chassis either way, and I like the flier project as well.

Is your Stormraven's twin assault cannon turret-mounted, or fixed?

I also think wings will improve its aesthetics- maybe folding ones with the hurricane bolter and missile launchers mounted on them, like the dropship in 'Aliens'.

It's turret mounted, with magnet slots!

Oh, and it's a Stormtalon Proxy, not a Stormraven :)

The wings, you're talking about the Corvus Proxy? I did try it that way, but decided against it. My goal was to make it a skimmer, and the wings, in the end defeated that purpose.

Is resin printing the same as "traditional" 3D printing but with a resin material rather than a plastic ?

Thanks!

No, resin printing is completely different. You have a vat of liquid resin, a build plate goes down and submerges in the resin, then:

In case of Laser printers, a laser traces the entire slice

In case of LCD printers, a uv light shines through a digital mask through the LCD screen.

Then the build plate goes up a step, repeat until finished.

There is a lot o preparation prior to printing, and is nearly impossible to print without supports.

It's great fun though! Now I realize ideas that have been bouncing around my head for years! The downside is the unpainted pile increases drastically!

Here's another flier proxy. This time for the Stormtalon. This is my version of the Stormhound from Spikeybits:
stormhounddone.jpg?w=1060I've also been experimenting with Rendering software, so, might as well share a better pic of the Raven:

deathwath-raven-darkstar-e1543968766151.

Oh my Omnissiah, I want, like, twelve of each of these things! Please, PLEASE tell me you're selling kits of these?

Totally misunderstood your question about the Assaulc cannon Bjorn!! I thought you were talking about the walker. The skimmer is a proxy for the Corvus Blackstar, but I Can see it can indeed be used as a Stormraven!

The assault cannons are fixed to the fuselage.

Thanks guys! I'm not selling atm, but I am sharing the designs through thingiverse. Just search by user for Kalrath.

Is your Stormraven's twin assault cannon turret-mounted, or fixed?

I also think wings will improve its aesthetics- maybe folding ones with the hurricane bolter and missile launchers mounted on them, like the dropship in 'Aliens'.

It's turret mounted, with magnet slots!

Oh, and it's a Stormtalon Proxy, not a Stormraven :)

The wings, you're talking about the Corvus Proxy? I did try it that way, but decided against it. My goal was to make it a skimmer, and the wings, in the end defeated that purpose.

Thanks!

No, resin printing is completely different. You have a vat of liquid resin, a build plate goes down and submerges in the resin, then:

In case of Laser printers, a laser traces the entire slice

In case of LCD printers, a uv light shines through a digital mask through the LCD screen.

Then the build plate goes up a step, repeat until finished.

There is a lot o preparation prior to printing, and is nearly impossible to print without supports.

It's great fun though! Now I realize ideas that have been bouncing around my head for years! The downside is the unpainted pile increases drastically!

My huge library system has 4 extrusion printers and I’m finally getting on in my branch next month. I’ll be trying desperately to get an SLA printer for our system after that.

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin.:

Well, there are a couple of things.

Oh yeah? Give me one, just one example. Because those wraithguard and  wraithblades aren't doing your position in this debate any favours. :wink:

Augs....Could be omlettes. I mean, I can paint good, but can't flip an omlette (and keep it in one piece) to save myself.

Kalrath.... great looking stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Some more Progress!

Wraithlord, Farseer and Warlock! First of 2019!

wraithlord-1.1.jpg?w=1060farseer-1.2.jpg?w=1060warlock-1.2.jpg?w=1060

Oh yeah? Give me one, just one example. Because those wraithguard and  wraithblades aren't doing your position in this debate any favours. :wink:

Well... Look at this! Disgusting!

mistakes1.jpg?w=1060

Augs....Could be omlettes. I mean, I can paint good, but can't flip an omlette (and keep it in one piece) to save myself.

Kalrath.... great looking stuff!

Yeah, come to think of it omelets too!

Good job on the Wraithguards.

The white shading on those Wraithguard is lovely.

Thank you!

Good job on the new models. I'm surprised how human the Farseer's proportions are; he looks like a Vulcan from Star Trek (capable of breeding with humans, and arguably "abhumans" to the Imperium), not someone/something utterly alien to human understanding, as the Harlequins and the Drukhari's proportions suggest.

Archived