Old Dogs New Tricks - Space Hulk

Kalrath

Wow, lovely conversions again Kalrath!

If this is how you do the Rhio-based models, I cannot wait to see what you do with a Land Raider! :D

Is that a lego piece you used for the whirlwind? Also, could you linky to the rogue trader era conversion pages for ot?

That's the underside of a WHFB 40mm base, not a Lego. ;)

The conversion instructions for the WW were featured in... WD117 I think? The next issue of WD was how to convert the Vindicator too.

I have been looking for Land Raider from way back when, but it's proving difficult to get a old of...

Honestly, for the simple shapes and lack much detail on the old ones, I'd suggest scratch-building one.

Plus, you can make it a slightly better size that way! :wink:

Some examples here and here.

• 3 weeks later...

So, this happened:

Landraider%2B1.jpg

Landraider%2B2.jpg

Landraider%2B4.jpg

Landraider%2B3.jpg

Gave a shot at scratch building one, but a good deal came along  and couldn't resist adding old timer to the army.

What do you think?

And now this will happen (from the same deal!):

Predator%2BDeimos%2B1.jpg

• 3 months later...
I've been a little busy with other projects, but now, I'm back!

I bought a Veda W180 Airbrush to apply basecoats and was impressed with its quality. So much so, that I decided to give it a shot on one of the tanks.

After quite a bit of research on the tecnhiques, here are my first experiments with an Airbrush:

Rhino
ultramarines-rhino-1-0.jpg

Razorback
ultramarines-razorback-1-1.jpg

ultramarines-razorback-1-0.jpg

Old School Whirlwind
ultramarines-whirlwind-1-0.jpg

and all the options I have at the moment:
ultramarines-stc-rh1-n-0.jpg

Still have to apply the decals. I have some old Microset/sol bottles that aer quite old, and instead of going straight to the Rhino, decided to try them on a shoulderpad, to see if they're still good.

Lovely work on these, they have a great retro feel. They also don't seem to be "overly airbrushed" either, which is a plus in my book. :tu:

The pictures seem to be broken when I try to view it on my laptop, but work fine on my phone? Curious if anyone else is having similar issues

No issues on my PC with the pictures here.

The tank is wonderfully painted. I agree with Psycho that it doesn't look overtly airbrushed, which is nice. What's the whirlwind launcher made from? 

Great conversion work on the Razorback turret too, albeit a bit high for my taste.. If I'm not mistaken, that's a Land Raider cover, right?

Thanks!

I prefer simple schemes, so I went with a simple color modulation to enhance the large flat areas of the old Rhino. I think the end result matches well with the rest of the army. That's also why I didn't weather it.

As for the Whirlwind turret, it's based on the original conversion from WD117 (pgs 40 & 41) https://www.games-workshop.com/doc/220395733/White-Dwarf-117

It seems Google photos is no longer a decent way of linking photos... I'll look into other ways. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I prefer simple schemes, so I went with a simple color modulation to enhance the large flat areas of the old Rhino. I think the end result matches well with the rest of the army. That's also why I didn't weather it.

As for the Whirlwind turret, it's based on the original conversion from WD117 (pgs 40 & 41) https://www.games-workshop.com/doc/220395733/White-Dwarf-117

It seems Google photos is no longer a decent way of linking photos... I'll look into other ways. Any suggestions?

The Rhinos Look great, it is a great trip down memory lane. (Especially the WD you linked to)

As for photos, I switched to the B&C gallery after the last  time Google Photos updated. Its free and it works well for this site (and others as well)

Thanks!

"Great conversion work on the Razorback turret too, albeit a bit high for my taste.. If I'm not mistaken, that's a Land Raider cover, right?"

Forgot to answer this, sorry... Yes it is a Landraider Sponson Cover. Had the left over from an old Crusader. 

Archived