Old Dogs New Tricks - Space Hulk

Kalrath

Thank you for the enthusiasm!

I'm really enjoying this trip down memory lane. So much so, that I took up 2nd edition again. Great ruleset for cinematic fun battles (wouldn't recommend competitive play though).

Gorgeous! What is the next unit to go under your brush?

Also, if you're still missing the helmet bit for Sicarius, I have one spare that I'd be willing to send over. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :smile.:

Next up will be the Devastator Squad! Already working on it.

I've managed to get the need bit, thank you for the offer!

Cheers!

​I'm gonna dogpile on here and congratulate you on those paint jobs! They're clean, crisp, and bright. Old school without feeling old if that makes any sense. Looking forward to seeing those Devastators!  

Thanks!

Would someone be able to take a few measurements of a Predator Destructor Turret? Can't find one at a decent price, so, I'll make one!

Edited by Kalrath

So, I got a pair of old Rhinos (still shrink wrapped) for cheap during the weekend, and, since I didn't have any yet, I decided I'd touch them up a bit!

This is why I need the turret (and later the dimensions, thanks again!):

Predator%2B1.jpg

Predator%2B2.jpg

Predator%2BTop.jpg

Still building the turret and waiting on some bits (proper weapons, etc), so, nothing is glued yet. What do you Think? I've 2 possibilites for the front armor. Still undecided which one I'll use.. care to weigh in?

The other Rhino will be a Rhino Magnetized to be a Razorback and Whirlwind.

Edited by Kalrath

First of all, I love what you've done to them. Those leman russ sponsons work very well with them. Second, I'm impressed by the turrets (with which I am now even more glad to have helped you with). Also glad to read you're going for 'proper weapons', as that one lascannon really is not the way to go. The sponsons I wouldn't touch, on the condition that you'll put an autocannon in the turret. If the turret will hold a Twin Lascannon, then you should really go for las in the sponsons, too. :tu: 

I really like both fronts, so seeing as you have two of these, why not go for one on each? If I had to choose though, I'd go for the first one, as that's how they were 'meant' on the predators. The two slitted ones are for the Rhino, originally.

Dude, whatever you do will be worth it based on what you have shared so far.  These are treasures, honor them well (and I don't man that in some Space Marine-speak).

That is really great work on those there, bravo. Lovely plasticard skills, I can never seem to get anything even close to that. What thickness plasticard do you use?

Regarding the front armour I would go with the first option, keeps with the old school vibe.

Thanks!

Bulk Front Plate it is.

As for the clean work, I cheat! :biggrin.: I made the structure in thick plasticard (1,5mm) and then covered that with a thin 0.75mm sheet. This 2nd sheet is easy to glue on and then cut the excess to leave a clean surface. 

My bit haven't arrived yet, so I kept on adding detail.

Turret reinforcements with or without rivets?

Predator%2BTurret%2B1.jpg

What about the sponsons? Planar top (as the original) or inverted and inclined (Don't worry, in the end the weapon will be the right side up!)?

Predator%2BSponsons.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Kalrath

I love it! The turret is coming along very nicely. I agree with Dosjetka that the rivets could be a little bit more in the corner.

One critique though: while I understand from a practical point that you went with the Leman RUss sponsons, why did you go through all that trouble to make a plastic copy of the turret, only to take the easy route with the sponsons? The old metal sponsons are easier to copy in plastic than the turret, I think, and would add much to the classic feel of the tank. :)

I have the sponsons, and I'd be happy to give you the measurements for them, too. :tu:

Hehe! I agree. Rivet position changed!

Thank you!

Honestly, never liked those sponsons! Never thought they looked good on the Rhino Chassis. Even back in the day, my plan was to switch those with Leman Russ Sponson, and now I had the chance! :biggrin.:

Still a bit torn between which side should be up. Flat face or inclined.

What else would you add to the turret?

Yes, I thought so too.

Predator is done! Magnetized Weapons included!

Predator%2BDestructor.jpg

Predator%2BAnihilator.jpg

As the creative juices were flowing, I couldn't stop! So, I went ahead with the Razorback/Rhino/Whirlwind!

Razorback%2B1.jpg

Razorback%2B4.jpg

Not completely sold on the back access ramp...

Edited by Kalrath

I love the tanks, dude. Can't find a fault in them at all - except for the back hatch indeed. I think it was a good idea to make the angle slightly less sloped, but you went a little too far. Bring it back so that instead of the original 45 degrees, it's be about 60 degrees. The 85 degree angle with the ground you have now is just too much. :tu:

I love the tanks, dude. Can't find a fault in them at all - except for the back hatch indeed. I think it was a good idea to make the angle slightly less sloped, but you went a little too far. Bring it back so that instead of the original 45 degrees, it's be about 60 degrees. The 85 degree angle with the ground you have now is just too much. :thumbsup:

Yeah... That had been bugging me all day long! Corrected it today!

Haa ha. I'm currently fixing up a whole batch of original Rhinos/Preds in similar ways. Especially the exhausts, that's really tickled me !

Great minds think alike! The original exhausts are super fragile, this way, they look modern and are way sturdier!

Beautiful work here Kalrath, I love what you're doing! :biggrin.:

Thanks!

And I'm done with the Rhino/Razorback!

Razorback%2B5.jpg

Razorback%2B6.jpg

Rhino.jpg

Still going to fiddle a bit with the stowage, but that can wait after painting.

Also want a Whirlwind turret, but not really sure which way to go. Crazy idea popped into my mind though: Original Whirlwind turret conversion from Rogue Trader Era! Think that could work?

Well... I just couldn't help my self... In the end what would I stand to loose? Some plasticard, 40mm base, some bits...

Now I have a Retro-Modern Whirlwind!

Whirlwind%2B1.jpg

And now working on the vindicator! STC for the Win!

Vindicator%2B1.jpg

Edited by Kalrath