[HH1.0] Militia and Cults tactica

disease

I can't test the list yet because I don't have the miniaturas. The idea is to have the ogryns in the gorgon with the commander and one squad

You should ad discipline master cadre to your army because Ogryns only have a leadership of 6.

What is everyone's thoughts on the faq? I know I'm late to the party with this question.

I'll freely admit I was one that had some rending cultists...

In short: necessary.

Puny mortals shouldn't be that powerful.

Fearless Cultists (like Marksmen Vets) were a brainless choice. I don't mean any offence to anyone with that and they were super cool, but considering their versatility and lack of any weakness they were plum broken.

Losing fearless means morale is an issue that needs to be played around.

Otherwise, not sure the FAQ had much effect on Militia and Cults. No idea if they get access to Augary Scanners but if they do that's a nice buff.

A change was definitely needed, but I'll be the first to say it's made that particular provenance not a very good option anymore. The army already has lots of access to stubborn and hatred in exchange for shooting isn't really worth it. The issue has always been low leadership and I look forward to them giving the list another pass in the next fear years.

Personally I've always run mine as tainted flesh + feral warriors using grenadiers. I suspect we'll see more of those sorts of lists.

A change was definitely needed, but I'll be the first to say it's made that particular provenance not a very good option anymore. The army already has lots of access to stubborn and hatred in exchange for shooting isn't really worth it. The issue has always been low leadership and I look forward to them giving the list another pass in the next fear years.

Personally I've always run mine as tainted flesh + feral warriors using grenadiers. I suspect we'll see more of those sorts of lists.

How do you make yours look tainted?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What tanks are people using for their militia?

I have a plan for two milita armies, one being a power armoured force (using warrior elite and survivors of the dark age and van saar models) a mixed force of both foot infantry and mechanised infantry but was wondering what tanks I should use to back them up with. I was going to have some sentinels to act as fire support (again, unsure of what loadouts to have for them), tank wise I was going to have 3 Vanquishers for some much needed AT weapons but I am at a loss as to what I should have the other squadrons as.

Thats the plan on the Rhino front, a 10 man squad in a Rhino with storm bolters and a multi melta for close ranged support but looking at the rough list I was seeing the lack of armoured back up (expect the Russ Vanqs) I am stuck between the standard Russ vs the Demolisher for some close fire support for my infantry and was thinking of an Exterminator to get rid MEQ.

But the last game I played was in 5ed and I have no idea how things work now-days or whats good and whats not.

Thats the plan on the Rhino front, a 10 man squad in a Rhino with storm bolters and a multi melta for close ranged support but looking at the rough list I was seeing the lack of armoured back up (expect the Russ Vanqs) I am stuck between the standard Russ vs the Demolisher for some close fire support for my infantry and was thinking of an Exterminator to get rid MEQ.

But the last game I played was in 5ed and I have no idea how things work now-days or whats good and whats not.

Guns are all fairly similar to their 5th ed counterparts so I wouldn't worry too much!

Demolishers are great as an instant threat with that nasty S10 AP2 template scaring the hell out of everyone. Always take a pintle stubber for 5 pts to help offset the weapon destroyed too.

Stormhammers are bloody awesome too, as is the classic Baneblade for LoW choices (which you'll probably need as Militia!)

Alternatively, you can look to the Solar Auxilia as allies for some awesome armoured support. They can take a tank commander as the HQ, troops in a Dracosan (think like a Demolisher and Rhino had a baby) and then one of many quality Heavy Support Tank Choices.

Guns are all fairly similar to their 5th ed counterparts so I wouldn't worry too much!

Demolishers are great as an instant threat with that nasty S10 AP2 template scaring the hell out of everyone. Always take a pintle stubber for 5 pts to help offset the weapon destroyed too.

Stormhammers are bloody awesome too, as is the classic Baneblade for LoW choices (which you'll probably need as Militia!)

Alternatively, you can look to the Solar Auxilia as allies for some awesome armoured support. They can take a tank commander as the HQ, troops in a Dracosan (think like a Demolisher and Rhino had a baby) and then one of many quality Heavy Support Tank Choices.

Oh I plan to have a Solar Auxilia army at some point, really really long term plan is to have a force (of varying sizes) of each Legion, Solar Auxilia, two Imperial Militia Armies (one power armoured as above and the other based on the geno soldiers [so warrior elite and gene-crafted]) and maybe elements of a Knight Household. Waiting eagerly on book 9 which apparently will have stuff related to the Exped Fleets. But I also want my armies to be self containing, being able to battle without relying on allied armies which is why I am wondering about supporting Leman Russ Tanks.

• 8 months later...

Depends. 

Loyalist or traitor ?

Which Provenances do you fancy most ?

In general, Heavy Flamer Support Squads and Ogryns might serve you well.

Also, be aware of the 15-men squad size limitation in ZM.

I quite like the idea of the heavt flamer squad combined with the improve AP by 1 WL trait... a squad of 10 AP3 heavy flamer teams is the most brutal anti marine thing i can think of in the militia list... Tho AP3 heavy bolters might be a more reasonable option...

Depends. 

Loyalist or traitor ?

Which provenances would work best in ZM? 

I would assume anything boosting durability would be handy since you cant take any tanks or transports.

So abhuman helots for t4 infantry and t6 ogrynns.

Survivors of the DAOT for 4+ inf and 3+ grenadiers and ogryns

The tech guard one for 6+ FNP perhaps.

Tho i am fond of feral warriors to give ogrynns +2 attacks. I like the idea of giving them power axes with maybe a few boarding shields.

Tho the combo of abhuman hellots and SOTDAOT giving T6 3+ ogryns is a very durable unit. Even if the enemy shoots at them with ap3 or ap2 weapons, they tend to be low rate of fire. So something like a melta or lascanon may be very likely to wound, its still just 1 wound on a 3 wound goon out of a squad that could be 10 ogrynn.

Edit: the idea of taking SOTDAOT and upgrading all the grenadier guns such that you are running around with massed S5 guns to wound marines on 3+ is amusing.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

Depends.

Loyalist or traitor ?

Which provenances would work best in ZM?
Depends.