Thousand Sons the Kings in Crimson: Magnus the Red WIP

Archidamus

'There are no lines, except those which we draw ourselves.' - Centurion Librarian Jadus

Greetings brothers and sisters, in guess this shall be my first official post in the Heresy section of the B&C.

As you've probably noticed I'm working on a Thousand Sons project (mostly because I couldn't decide what legion I wanted to do until I saw depthcharge's thread).

At current I have 1 kit bashed Centurion, a 10 man tactical squad, a 7 man tactical squad, 5 destroyers, and 5 breachers (the under strength squads need repainting).

I have another order on the way to fill out my troops and add a contemptor to the mix.

I have had lighting currently so I will begin adding proper pictures tomorrow.

I can however give some insight into the choices for this project. I wanted to create a company that was both led by a Terran and was comprised of more Terrans that those of Prospero. They also conduct war in a similar manner to their brother legions, treating their powers as secondary. This philosophy is pushed by their Captain and causes tensions between himself and Magnus.

That isn't to say they don't use them. They still utilize the enumerations, but their powers are employed sparingly. This doesn't however apply to their Librarian whom served with their Captain since joining the Legion.

However they still love and adore their father for saving them from their own genetics.

9th Company, 1st Fellowship (subject to change as FW's book comes out)

Thaeron- Captain, Terran, Commander of the strike cruiser Hyperion. Held the rank of Legion Master when the previous one was stricken with the flesh change. He stepped down once a new master had been chosen preferring company command.

Jadus – Centurion-Librarian, second-in-command, Terran. Nearly died to his powers due to the lack of training and the flesh change affecting those with more powerful gifts faster.

Kthophis- Centurion, Prosperite.

Arkanis- Sergeant, Tactical squad, Prosperite

Metjen- Veteran Sergeant, Scarab Occult

Xavier- Apothecary, Terran

Xerxes- Sergeant, Destroyer cadre, Terran

Sal Khata- Sergeant, Volkite support squad, Prosperite

+++

Hopefully this long post hasn't put you to sleep yet. I look forward to updating it and answering questions. (I am on my tablet so it isn't in as much detail a bit could've been.)

Thanks for looking. smile.png

Well after finishing listening to Iron Maiden's Empire of the Clouds and making a good cuppa tea. I decided to get a few pics that I took awhile a go and some new ones (poor lighting and all of them are taken on my phone I just need it to be sunny like the first two images below are).

Anyway here are some pictures of Sergeant Arkanis (Finished)

Arkanis Front

Arkanis Side

Here we have my WIP Centurion Kthophis. I made him out of Mk IV legs and helmet. A MKVII arm and a blood angels arm. The bolter is from Khârn's scenic base as is the back pack IIRC. His torso is from the current ASM/Tactical boxes and the right shoulder is from the Astral Claws upgrades. Lastly he has the knive and grenades from the Death Company box.

Lastly here are the three guys of the tactical squad I have painted.

Hopefully this will satisfy your needs for now. biggrin.png

Well-painted thousand sons there!

Thanks. I was never good at reds until I watched GW's video on How to paint a Blood Angels tactical marine.

I do prefer the ivory trim to the gold though since it stands out more. It just seems face into the background, might be because MKIV has thin rims.

So since my Centurion is nearly complete I decided to take some pictures. The sun was a bit too bright so I couldn't get similar conditions to the picture of Sergeant Arkanis (see back up the page). Also included is a bit of fluff (It's a bit rushed and I haven't wrote much fluff in a while. Doing that for a homemade chapter will do that to a guy).

Anyhow here is my kit-bashed model for Centurion Kthophis! 

I've not decided what Kthophis will be armed with fully yet, would help if the army list book could come faster. So any suggestions are welcome. He may be getting remade once the Thousand Sons upgrades are released.

Fluff stuff

Thaeron stood immobile on the bridge of the Hyperion. He watched and listened to the bridge crew as they relayed system scans, expeditionary fleet locations, and current supply situations. Thaeron took all the information in. Though he wasn't listening for anything in particular yet. It had been six months since his argument with Magnus. They'd both decided it would be best to allow Thaeron's 9th company to assist the forgotten forces of the 2101st expeditionary fleet. In essence Magnus had exiled him until the 2101st could make significant progress in aiding the Great Crusade. 

Thaeron shook himself out of his introspection as he heard the same phrase being echoed through the reports. No he thought, not a phrase. A name. Greenskins. At last they'd found the 2101st fleet's next target. After the heavy fighting against the Husklords and their so called 'dust phantoms' Thaeron looked forward to fighting mindless beasts rather than sophisticated artificial intelligence controlling a lesser strain of humanity. The Cybernetica elements had greatly appreciated that he allowed them to the husk scraps his warriors left. He should not have let them take the husk remains. But the Legio Cybernetica were powerful allies so it helped to give them something to secure their allegiance to the Legion.

He shook his head and activated a fleet wide vox channel. "This is Captain Thaeron to all forces of the 2101st expeditionary fleet. Prepare for immediate combat operations. We have the Ork scum in our sights. In the name of the Emperor and Magnus we shall annihilate them! Thaeron out." 

Looking great! The red is very smooth and the line highlight

is nice and neat.

Keep them coming!

Thanks that means a lot. Duncan's (GW) way of painting red is really useful so I'd recommend that to anyone who struggles with red like I did.

So as you'll have noticed the Thousand Sons now use Destroyer marines! Which is somewhat against Magnus' way of war. He likes to categorize and collect knowledge from the worlds his Legion conquer. Thaeron as we've seen, has a difference of opinion. He believes Destroyers are a necessary evil as some civilizations deserve nothing more than to be wiped from the galaxy. This is another of the reasons why he and Magnus have a turbulent relationship. Many a crusade fleet has contacted Magnus for aid only for them to request his 9th company. Their deeds and conduct of war mark them out among their peers.

This isn't to say they're better than Ahriman's Scarab Occult, they merely have more rolls of honour in the crusade's log books and a reputation to accompany them. Of course Magnus is proud that his son is respected and brings respect to the Legion, but he feels it is due to the differences in his operational procedures compared to the rest of the Legion that make him stand out.

With the coming of Magnus many companies disbanded their Destroyer formations. During his brief ascension to Legion Master, Thaeron began to move these deadly war materials around. Many he would send to his fellow Legion Master and friend, Lhorke of the War Hounds, as they'd never been a legion to shy away from total devastation. Some he kept for himself allowing him to continue providing his Destroyer Cadres with weapons.

Phew! Hopefully you're still awake by this point so I shall grace you with one of those rare creatures- A Thousand Son's Destroyer Marine. (Maybe you'll get some fluff stuff later msn-wink.gif )

The patches are supposed to be blast damage it may be hard to see from the images themselves. I'd say he's about 90% complete I just need to add red highlights, dirty the trim and a few other highlights.

I've also done and will be doing some updates to the first post. Mostly just names for some of the sergeants etc in the company.

Just a quick update. My FW order was dispatched yesterday (yay! biggrin.png ). So I should have a some more stuff to post in a few days.

I'd also like any ideas on where to expand the force next from:

A Centurion, two 10 man tactical squads, 5 Destroyers, 5 Breachers, and the Contemptor. (obviously I'll have to fill out the destroyers and breachers)

I've been consider Loth. I think he'd make a good Thousand Sons librarian with a bit of conversion work.

Ideas for basing wouldn't go amiss either. When it comes to basing I'm not the best. So any input there would be greatly appreciated. Anyway enough of that. So earlier I decided it get back into writing fanfic stuff. When you've written little over 52,000 words for a home brew chapter you do sorta burn out. But it's been refreshing to start again this time for the Legion. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, C&C are welcome for it.

+++

The heavens were weeping. Crimson skinned drop pods shattered the skies. The primitive anti-aircraft batteries below put up a pitiful torrent of flak. Their lack of logic engines made the task of shooting down the pods nigh on impossible. At best they’d scratch the ceramite hulls. The skies flashed as incandescent beams shot between the pods with pinpoint accuracy and smashed into the ground. The Hyperion the XVth Legion’s principle strike cruiser was blessed with the accuracy of Magnus himself. Its lance strikes always hit their mark.

In truth it was those members of the Athanaeans and Corvidae cults that made such precise bombardments possible. Despite the grumblings that Thaeron had some adverse dislike of the Legions powers, it had never stopped him from utilising them to support his brothers. As long as his warriors used their powers as a secondary means to their bolter and chainsword he was content to let them use their gifts at their own discretion.

9th company’s drop pods meteoric descent was almost complete. Stormbird dropships and the newly created Thunderhawk gunships and transports blasted from the Hyperion’s launch bays. They had been timed to arrive once the Thousand Sons assault force had created a beachhead. It would be then that the army elements and Legio Cybernetica would take to the field. Legio Astorum’s demi maniple would remain in orbit until a suitable landing area could be found for them.

Thaeron’s drop pod crashed into the earth shattering the rudimentary barricades of the greenskins he’d been searching for. The explosive bolts fired and the assault ramps dropped. The dust had yet to settle but Thaeron was already on the move, his veterans following close behind. He snapped up his bolter and gunned down a trio of greenskins still dazed from the impact. His squad likewise killed any greenskins still alive and placing precautionary rounds or blades in those who appeared to be dead.

Around him the rest of his strike force was landing. His squad from the Scarab Occult moved swiftly into cover setting up alongside him. “A good start captain.” Thaeron nodded, “Indeed it is Metjen. Deployment status?” Metjen quickly consulted the information scrolling down his visor feed. “Eighty-five percent complete. Some hard points are still operational just ahead of us.” They both peered over the top of the shattered barricade. The bunkers were only just visible through the debris and dust but Thaeron could see the tracer fire and muzzle flashes of crude Ork guns. “We have our next target sergeant. We’re taking out that bunker before Jadus and Kthophis’ forces reach the ground.”

+++

Small update for today, that being my order arriving! laugh.png

I'm currently soaking them to remove any release agent and I hope to start building and undercoating them all later. Hopefully I shall have some WIP pictures up in a few days.

Edit.

The destroyer I painted up is now just await his edge highlights. After that I'm hoping to finish of the rest of the MKIV squad then getting to work on the new editions to the 9th Company.

So as I discovered to my horror building a contemptor dread is a pain. It took my a good three or so hours to get a pose I liked and even then it isn't the greatest. Hopefully I'll be able to do better when the Thousand Son's own one comes out.

Anyway here is my contemptor awaiting his undercoat. I may add some extra trinkets to him and a bit more basing stuff. But I would like some feedback on what I could add to him and the base, if anything.

They aren't the greatest pictures. There is a camera lying around somewhere but it appears to have the skills of a Raven Guard at hiding. C&C are welcome. happy.png

You get used to it pretty quickly, imo. I've built 5 so far and each one was easier than the last to get a good pose tongue.png

That's good then. I spent a good 30 mins trying to pry one of the leg pieces a part once I'd realized I'd stuck the wrong pair together laugh.png. I was almost going to buy a Deredeo, but I think I'll let Depthcharge suffer with that one for a bit first. rolleyes.gif

You get used to it pretty quickly, imo. I've built 5 so far and each one was easier than the last to get a good pose tongue.png

That's good then. I spent a good 30 mins trying to pry one of the leg pieces a part once I'd realized I'd stuck the wrong pair together laugh.png. I was almost going to buy a Deredeo, but I think I'll let Depthcharge suffer with that one for a bit first. rolleyes.gif

Tzeentch damn near turned me into a warp spawn with my frustration :angry:

I did manage to figure out what I did wrong - one of the toes on each foot is slightly bent. I put the wrong feet on the wrong legs (thinking it was like a Contemptor where it doesn't matter) which made him bow legged.

Tzeentch damn near turned me into a warp spawn with my frustration furious.gif

I did manage to figure out what I did wrong - one of the toes on each foot is slightly bent. I put the wrong feet on the wrong legs (thinking it was like a Contemptor where it doesn't matter) which made him bow legged.

At least I'll know in advice for when I buy one. I was sat there going 'Why didn't I buy a Mk IV dreadnought with a flamestorm cannon and chainfist for the cool factor!' So I felt almost the same as you, just slightly less frustrated, probably. msn-wink.gif

But anyway I'm hoping to have the dread undercoated tomorrow. Although I still need to finish building the Mk II marines and I doubt my spray will last much longer. dry.png

Have we established a telepathic connection scribe-brother? I wanted a MKIV with a flame storm cannon in a drop pod for a while now...

...just imagine the tears of all the meta players when you drop it next to their precious quad mortar battery in cover and scrape them off the board. Sweet sweet trolling...

Have we established a telepathic connection scribe-brother? I wanted a MKIV with a flame storm cannon in a drop pod for a while now...

...just imagine the tears of all the meta players when you drop it next to their precious quad mortar battery in cover and scrape them off the board. Sweet sweet trolling...

Probably. I just thought it would look really brutal on the Ironclad dread they do and that he would shred marines, and with armoured ceramite he could become quite scary. The general fluff idea I had for it was a member of the Pyrae cult was interred and obviously loved his flames. That and aside from the old visions book you don't really see many XVth legion dreadnoughts (currently). 

uhhhhh....you do know that contemptor feet are labeled Left and Right....right? its on the ball joint.

Edit: its why Deredeos and Contemptors have 2 set of feet: One pair has both feet slightly bent into a stepping pose, the other flat.

uhhhhh....you do know that contemptor feet are labeled Left and Right....right? its on the ball joint.

Edit: its why Deredeos and Contemptors have 2 set of feet: One pair has both feet slightly bent into a stepping pose, the other flat.

Yes you're right. It's been so long since I've done mine >_<

This, kids, is why you don't go to Slaanesh parties and screw up your brain. Or maybe it's because I'm turning the ripe old age of 22 in about a month.

My Deredeo might have also come from a questionable enterprising location...so there's that...

So I got a bit bored and decided to do some more fluff stuff. It was supposed to include the Contemptor but I got side tracked with including Thaeron's 'Obsidian Protocol' and what his own gifts are. C&C as you please. Don't worry though all this is leading somewhere. It may end up leading to a certain legion trying to finish a job they started and getting a fight they weren't expecting rolleyes.gif . Though it wont be that straight forward msn-wink.gif tongue.png . I'm sure when I finish painting the dread you'll see.

+++

Combat operations log.

2101st expeditionary fleet's compliance of 7-2101.

World: Hostile. Life forms: Greenskins. Hostile. Resources: Unknown.

Order: Exterminate Xenos life forms for Martian surveying.

Three hours into offensive operations. Terran sidereal.

+++

“Artemisia! Bring the Hyperion into drop position, we need immediate support!” Thaeron hacked his sword through another of the heavily armoured Orks. They stood as tall as a legionary in terminator plate. The Ork wailed but still didn’t go down. “Throne of Terra! Just die already!” Thaeron bellowed the curse. His squad was faring no better. Two brothers were dead, cut to pieces by massive Ork claws. Three were wounded but still fending for themselves. His vox crackled it wasn’t his ship’s captain. Metjen panted as he spoke, “Sir where’s our support?!” Thaeron grunted swinging his blade around and firing his volkite serpenta into the Ork’s face. Its face was replaced by a compact hole as the beam punched out the other side of its custom heavy armour. “I don’t know Metjen.”

He scanned around to locate the sergeant. He was only a few paces away. Thaeron moved towards him but instead was knocked to the ground by another mega armoured Ork. The landing was hard and he was sure he’d broken a rib or two. He grunted spitting blood onto the ground, his helm long discarded due to extensive damage. He snarled as he looked up at the Ork. This was going to require a different tactic. “Obsidian protocol authorised.” A string of conformations sounded in his vox link. Thaeron roared snatching his ceramite hand into a claw up at the Ork. The beast was lifted into the air. It struggled as its tiny mind tried to comprehend what was happening. It stopped when it heard laughter. Turning its head slightly it looked at Thaeron. He was laughing as he plucked the Ork from the ground.

They made eye contact and that’s when the screaming started. Thaeron turned his claw into a fist. The heavy armour of the Ork was turned against it. Thaeron crumbled and compressed the armour on the beast. Blood spat out of wounds, sparks flew from its primitive motor. He forced the rivets and bolts deep into its flesh. He heard the flesh ripping, blood vessels bursting. The sound of bone cracking as the pressure grew tenfold on the Ork’s skull. At last he stopped laughing at what he was doing. He stopped to utter two words. “For Magnus.” Thaeron spat them at the Ork in its final moments. He closed his hand fully crushing it all into a compact mess of flesh, metal, and blood.

+++

Decided to start work on my Mk II marines (all five of them). I decided to add a few purity seals etc. to make them look more veteran and unique. For the time being they're filling out a tactical squad until I decide to buy more guys. 

Here he is in all his WIP glory. I have to say painting the rivets is tedious but looks really good once done. 

Edit: I would've took pictures of them all but as you can tell it was dark when i took the picture. Maybe tomorrow after I help introduce newbies to 40k at Uni. 

Yeah. I'm looking forward to getting to work on the shading and highlighting. Compared to most marine models MkII/III is really fun to do and for me helps add to the model overall more so than MkIV onwards.

Also because I'm a lazy sod I actually haven't started on the other 4 guys yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a brief hiatus from 40k which then turned into not having the time to paint when I wanted to. So I decided to indulge my Halo side and start reading the fall of reach. 

Anyway I did manage to get some more done on the veteran marine I posted earlier. He's still a long way from being done but he looks a bit prettier to look at.

Enjoy.

I am particularly happy with how the beard turned out. Just needs a small bit of shading adding to it. The eyes need sorting out but I've always hated painting flesh and faces. 

Archived