Thousand Sons the Kings in Crimson: Magnus the Red WIP

Archidamus

The look lovely. If you want to use them, you could always count them as Combat Shields for a Command Squad. smile.png

That sounds like a fine idea Hesh. I'll have to see what I can turn into a banner/vexilla/icon looking thing to mark out the banner bearer.

As an aside I'm starting to like the look of the full gold trim more having seen it on a full MkIII marine. I may need more of them.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I frequented my XVth Legion project, too long perhaps. I decided to take a break from 30k shortly after book 6 was released, so I've mostly been focusing on my 40k marines. Last night I decided to kitbash up a model for Centurion-Librarian Jadus. He will most likely be relegated to sergeant duties if and when the unique XVth legion units are released for future conversions. But for now he shall be a humble, yet powerful Librarian.

The legion shoulder pad isn't glued on, I'm considering buying the new upgrade set and giving Jadus more decorative looking armour.

Librarian Kallathon Jadus, Cohort of the Veiled Dawn- Pict recorded during the Nautica campaign

med_gallery_88327_11336_737088.jpg

med_gallery_88327_11336_235866.jpg

med_gallery_88327_11336_243011.jpg

I've been working on Jadus for the last few days and have now gotten him to a stage that I'm rather happy with, all he needs now is a few touch ups and his shoulder pads. I decided to return to the red I first started out with, though I altered the process as I'm now using retributor gold (I really love this paint) which is used in the FW (Airbrush) paint scheme. Because this is a darker gold after the wash I didn't want the red to overpower it so for the moment my red is the following:

Red

Undercoat: chaos black spray

Base: Mephiston red (thinned down for a smoother finish)

Wash: Carrobourg Crimson

Layer: Mephiston red (thinned down again)

Highlight: Evil Sunz Scarlet

Gold

Base: Retributor Gold

Wash: Seraphim Sepia (Though I used the old Gryphonne Sepia)

Highlight: Runefang Steel

Overall I think it made a rather nice looking Thousand Son.

Now for pictures since I know you all like them biggrin.png

Librarian-Primus Kallathon Jadus, 9th Company, 1st Fellowship

med_gallery_88327_11336_61390.jpg

med_gallery_88327_11336_688321.jpg

med_gallery_88327_11336_652021.jpg

For the shoulder pads I'm really considering the Achean pattern to make Jadus stand out more amongst his brothers, and because he's crouching so is more easily able to hide from me. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for looking.

I don't know when you changed the title to Bruce Dickinson lyrics, but that new guy is looking awesome

I snuck the title change in when I uploaded the pictures today, that and I was listening to the song whilst painting him up. biggrin.png

"It's the great irony of the universe, Arkanis. Our mantra 'All is Dust', now it really rings true: Our home, our legion, even our Primarch. All of it, dust." -Librarian Jadus to sergeant Araknis after the psychic interrogation of VIth legion legionary.

Legionaries Ratosh (left) and Thorok (right): squad Arkanis, pict captured during squad Arkanis' first contact with Space Wolves forces (as noted by the remains of a VIth legion shoulder plate.).

med_gallery_88327_11336_879569.jpg

Legionaries Ratosh and Thorok, alongside sergeant Arkanis, were both present to witness Jadus psychically interrogate a captured Space Wolves legionary.

Squad Arkanis as deployed during the Nautica campaign

med_gallery_88327_11336_77689.jpg

Unlike the rest of Thaeron's own strike force, squad Arkanis made it to the designated landing zone during the initial assault against the Orks. As such they were not present during the first hostile contact with the VIth Legion. Instead they fought alongside centurion-librarian Jadus and his strike force to Thaeron's besieged positions in the Nautican Wastes.

I hope you like these pictures. It's taken me a long time to finally complete this squad and some finishing touches are still required on some models. If you'd like close ups of any particular model I'll be happy to oblige.

Tomorrow I shall be uploading the completed pictures of Librarian Jadus as the Achean shoulder pads arrived (yay!), alongside him shall be my heavy choom squad for the ETL V.

As I promised yesterday, here are several pics of the completed Librarian Jadus and one of the two current members of the heavy support squad for the upcoming ETL, please enjoy. laugh.png

Kallathon Jadus, the ​Prosecutor of Souls- Centurion and Librarian-Primus, 9th Company

med_gallery_88327_11336_817297.jpg

Unlike the rest of the Imperium at the time, the 9th company were totally unaware of the civil war raging throughout the galaxy. For them the past six months had still been the Great Crusade. When the Space Wolves strike force struck, Thaeron's warriors could only assume the Wolves had slipped the leash of Terra and attacked without provocation, the sons of Magnus. During the fighting snippets of information would be gleaned from psychic interrogations, but it wasn't until the Bloodied Fang's databanks and cogitors were accessed, that the wider truth would be revealed.

med_gallery_88327_11336_18614.jpg

Unlike many of the librarians in the legion, Jadus preferred to study and develop a wider range of skills, as such he moved between two psychic Cults. Primarily he was schooled in the Cults of the: Raptora and Athanaeans. Whilst we wasn't able to master either particular discipline to the its highest potential, he had a greater range of powers to call upon in combat.

med_gallery_88327_11336_132120.jpg

Heavy Support squad Khata- Sergeant Sal Khata (left) and legionary Varlon (right).

med_gallery_88327_11336_938137.jpg

Jadus was seething with anger. He could feel it surging through him, he needed to act. All he could envision was tearing to the Space Wolves ranks and tearing them limb from limb. Now was not the time for that however, he still needed to find Thaeron. Slowly he pried his hand from the legionary's limp body. Jadus hadn't noticed he'd stopped screaming. The wolf was dead, the first of many he thought darkly. He turned and made his way to the open doorway.

Arkanis watched as Jadus exited the room. He was placing his helm over his head, though Arkanis was able to briefly glimpse Jadus' eyes. They were shimmering red though they were starting to return to their normal emerald green hue. A trait inherited from their father. Rotosh and Thorok fell in behind the librarian as he passed them. Jadus turned to Arkanis. "It's worse than we could've imagined brother." he paused trying to collect himself and keep the rage in check. Slowly Jadus managed to rise through the enumerations and reached a point of blessed serenity. "They have finally slipped the leash and sunk their fangs into father's throat." Arkanis was taken aback he didn't understand.

"What do you mean, Librarian?" He then noticed then that Jadus' weapons were in his hands. His battered and trusted force axe in his right, in his left he clenched his serpenta pistol. The heqa staff of his craft was still mag-locked to his back. "It's all dust now, Arkanis. It's the great irony of the universe. Our mantra 'all is dust', now it truly is. Prospero our home, is naught but ashes and dust. Burned to a cinder by these wretched, honourless scum." Jadus sensed it then. Collectively squads Arkanis and Khata become enraged. Adrenaline flooded into their systems and called them to fight. They would need this emotion to do the unthinkable, but Jadus couldn't allow them to be guided by raw anger and anguish. "Remember his teachings brothers. That is Magnus' legacy. Rise above these emotions and when the time is right, channel them and use them to crush the Wolves. Our Legion, our home, even our beloved Primarch may be dead. But they live on through us, we shall bring the VIth to their knees and drag them broken and in chains to Terra, for Him pass judgment upon them."

• 1 month later...

Quick progress update for my ETL pledge. I've not had as much time to be painting recently with my girlfriend breaking her foot, and the steam summer sale didn't help that. A while ago I posted in the ETL thread my WIP of the heavy support squad sergeant.

Here he is finished:

Sergeant Sal Khata, 9th Company

med_gallery_88327_11336_72885.jpg

The servo skull acts as the squad's augury scanner. Once it was a Lieutenant-colonel of the Imperial Army who alongside others, betrayed the XVth at Midiron. After his summary execution at the hands the then Sergeant Thaeron, his skull was repurposed to serve the XVth in a more suitable war than when they were alive. It serves as a stark reminder to those that would consider betraying Thaeron and his brothers again.

med_gallery_88327_11336_202871.jpg

As for the rest of the three are awaiting their next base layer, whilst the fourth has been shaded and is awaiting his layer.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I finally got around to ordering BaC. Although I've not fully decided what I'm going to use everything for (there may be a super secret project being worked on), I will however be adding a veteran squad, the terminators and the terminator captain.

In ETL related news I've nearly finished my pledge and should have pictures by next week showing the completed vow.

For today I have pictures of the first five members of veteran squad Metjen of the Scarab Occult, and the contemptor dreadnought that may or may not be apart of the super secret project.

Veteran Squad Metjen of the Scarab Occult

med_gallery_88327_11336_32595.jpg

Veteran Sergeant Metjen

med_gallery_88327_11336_318705.jpg

Metjen has led his squad on countless missions first under Ahriman's command and later Thaeron's. His deployment to 9th company was to help solidify the troubled relationship that Thaeron and Ahriman had in the years after Magnus' discovery.

med_gallery_88327_11336_100190.jpg

Not all members of Metjen's squad have survived contact with the enemies of Man over the course of the Great Crusade. With 9th company more often than not taking deployments away from the bulk of the XVth legion replacing their deaths wasn't always possible. Instead Metjen started to recruit from the company's best veteran warriors into his squad.

med_gallery_88327_11336_312605.jpg

The squad actually boasts very few of the original members that were part of its creation. Whilst some did indeed die in battle, some found positions elsewhere in the Legion when the company was reunited with their brothers. A few would go on to become sergeants of their own squads, or in some cases became part of the legion command structure.

I will give the BaC contemptor credit in that it was soooooo much easier to built that its resin counterpart. laugh.png

med_gallery_88327_11336_65365.jpg

Because he looked lonely I decided to take a comparison picture between him and his resin cousin.

med_gallery_88327_11336_234536.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I posted my completed vow in the ETL topic. Since it was dark I couldn't get a very good picture. Today I have a slightly better one.

med_gallery_88327_11336_792881.jpg

Daylight did decided to abandon me as I started to take the picture.

Today I also have the pleasure of introducing you to next legion that the 9th company encountered as they assess their place in the galaxy in flames. The dreaded XVIth Legion. Even before the release of the Horus Heresy system I wanted to create a Sons of Horus army due to the first trilogy of BL books. Though I could never get the armour colour to the look the way I wanted it to. Today that is a different story.

Thaeron's company will first encounter the Sons of Horus during his assault on Beterion Prime, a forge thane that serves under the guidance of a fully fledged Forge World. It is during his planetary assault that the XVIth will enter the system, their target is also Beterion Prime. With his strike cruisers Hyperion and the newly named Tizca's Remnant ,formerly the Bloodied Fang of the VIth , in bombardment positions the Sons of Horus have the advantage if they decided to engage the Thousand Sons. This may be the pendulum swing that sees the 9th company commit to the Warmaster's cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1R0nF0J-w

Sons of Horus tactical squad

med_gallery_88327_11336_303847.jpg

med_gallery_88327_11336_389785.jpg

Chaplain Vesemir

med_gallery_88327_11336_491771.jpg med_gallery_88327_11336_559791.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pictures for today. biggrin.png

• 3 months later...

So it's been awhile since I've posted here. I've had very little time recently to actually touch any of my 30k or 40k stuff, It's probably me being very lazy. So when lots of new stuff dropped last month I decided it was time to dust of the paints and get back into the swing of things.

The release of Burning of Prospero has reinvigorated my passion for the Thousand Sons but my first port of call for painting had to be the Custodians. My Custodian Shield-captain just requires some finishing touches to his cloak and guardian spear, but I can't resist getting an early picture up of his resplendent armour.

Shield-Captain Thaddeus Aurelio

med_gallery_88327_11336_531777.jpg

• 7 months later...

So it's been a while since I posted in this thread. I can't but a finger on why its been so long, so I'll blame the warp. My Thousand Sons have been undergoing some revisions since Inferno dropped and I'm just in the process of finalizing what else I need to add to the army (mostly vehicles).

But one thing I can share with you today is my current WIP of Magnus the Red. I picked him up last Friday when I was down at Warhammer World. I've been having a lot of fun painting the Primarch up. Due to the recent sporadic weather the UK has been having getting a decent picture of Magnus in his current form has been hard. But I've managed to snag a some serviceable pictures of him.

So I think it is apt that the following song be played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DL7R-We3ZI

med_gallery_88327_11336_140724.jpg med_gallery_88327_11336_650160.jpg

I'm hoping to have him finished up by the end of this weekend. He is currently in a state of having most of his initial colours shaded with his armour being the most 'complete'. Next on my list is most definatly Amon upon his release and a Legion Glaive.

I hope you enjoyed my first WIP pictures of Magnus.

Archived