'Eye of Horus Podcast,' diorama brainstorming

Kizzdougs

The Eye of Horus Podcast is going to be holding a diorama building/painting competition, and I'm hoping to make an entry. The exact rules haven't been posted yet (except that Lords of War are banned), but the general idea is to keep it fairly similar to the diorama category from Golden Daemon. 

I'm pretty flat out with uni work at the moment, so I probably won't be able to make a start until mid/late October, but I'd like to start planing/conceptualising nice and early. That's where you guys come in :)

At this stage the only two caveats are that the project needs a clear theme and a relatively small model count (1-6ish). The theme could be a scene from one of the HH Black Library novels or Forgeworld books. It could feature a well know character/s or be set during a famous battle such as Istvaan III/V, Phall, aboard the Contrador, Calth, Davin's moon, Prospero... etc. I'm also open to 'homegrown' characters/scenes, as long as they fit within the existing 30k setting. 

I'm pretty open to painting any Legion or combination of Legions, because if we're honest with ourselves they're all pretty awesome. 

Hit me with some ideas so that I can start to plan and gather the required bits :)

Thanks in advance for any help offered :tu:

Personally when it comes to dioramas I always like the quiet, reflective moments. All our models are for the most part running and screaming and shooting right out the box, it takes time and effort to create something like servitors arming a Space Marine for combat, an Apothecary administering to a wounded brother, or a funeral procession for a great hero of the legion.

I kind of always had this cool idea for a diorama when I first read about destroyer squads, and my love being Blood Angels. The Blood Angels Homeworld of Baal had been turned into a Rad wasteland, similar to Mad Max meets Planet of the Apes(Original). So the idea being that all Legions have Destroyer Squads, Blood Angels would have the most inner turmoil over having to use the weapons and be in that squad seeing as those very types of weapons destroyed Baal.

So basically a Destroyer Blood Angel, idk in maybe some armor similar to a Sanguinary Guard complete with Death Mask(which is weeping), sitting on a rock with his weapon proped against it looking a a charred Skull and reflecting on it. Probably helmet off as well, like tossed to the side, but visable so see the weeping Death Mask.

Kinda Posed like this

http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/assets_c/2009/06/Shakespeare&CoHamlet09-thumb-275x413-482.jpg

I kind of always had this cool idea for a diorama when I first read about destroyer squads, and my love being Blood Angels. The Blood Angels Homeworld of Baal had been turned into a Rad wasteland, similar to Mad Max meets Planet of the Apes(Original). So the idea being that all Legions have Destroyer Squads, Blood Angels would have the most inner turmoil over having to use the weapons and be in that squad seeing as those very types of weapons destroyed Baal.

So basically a Destroyer Blood Angel, idk in maybe some armor similar to a Sanguinary Guard complete with Death Mask(which is weeping), sitting on a rock with his weapon proped against it looking a a charred Skull and reflecting on it. Probably helmet off as well, like tossed to the side, but visable so see the weeping Death Mask.

Kinda Posed like this

http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/assets_c/2009/06/Shakespeare&CoHamlet09-thumb-275x413-482.jpg

Man I never thought of it like that but that gives me even more material for a future destroyer cadre for my Moritat.

Thanks for the great ideas, brothers!

Personally when it comes to dioramas I always like the quiet, reflective moments. All our models are for the most part running and screaming and shooting right out the box, it takes time and effort to create something like servitors arming a Space Marine for combat, an Apothecary administering to a wounded brother, or a funeral procession for a great hero of the legion.

You're right, sometimes the more reflective approach has more power than the straight up action scene. A scene featuring Argel Tal and Cyrene would be nice. I like the idea of a space marine being armed for battle. If I go with this idea I'll probably truescale the legionnaire to make him look even bigger and more powerful next to the servitors/legion serfs.

^Yes.

Make this scene a diorama:

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/b/b6/Post-battle.jpg

We know you can do battered Iron Warriors now msn-wink.gif

Yeah, I love that artwork. It could work with just about any Legion too :)

Kinda Posed like this

That could be really powerful, and I have most of the bits for it. I could imagine him kneeling amongst the shattered remains of his victims, holding up one skull in particular...

Would you paint his armour black (a kind of proto-Death Company scheme) or in the regular legion colours, but heavily weathered?

The Keeler image from the first Heresy book. The mournival on the embarkation deck.

That's an excellent idea. The four brothers united before the fall. I'll have to reread that part of Horus Rising smile.png

I've had a couple of ideas.

Argel Tal and Cyrene (I'd need to find a good Cyrene mini...).

How about Argel Tal and Aquilion? Either sparing in the training cages or fighting to the death. I'd probably use another of the Stormcaste Eternal minis to make Aquilion, similar to the other Custode that I made (but obviously better).

Lucius and Loken in the sparing cage...

Julius Kaesoron and Gabriel Santar on the black sands of Istvaan.

Just a few ideas.

At this stage I'm still a long way from making a decision, so please keep the suggestions coming! :tu:

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the great ideas, brothers!

You're right, sometimes the more reflective approach has more power than the straight up action scene. A scene featuring Argel Tal and Cyrene would be nice. I like the idea of a space marine being armed for battle. If I go with this idea I'll probably truescale the legionnaire to make him look even bigger and more powerful next to the servitors/legion serfs.

^Yes.

Make this scene a diorama:

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/b/b6/Post-battle.jpg

We know you can do battered Iron Warriors now msn-wink.gif

Yeah, I love that artwork. It could work with just about any Legion too smile.png

Kinda Posed like this

That could be really powerful, and I have most of the bits for it. I could imagine him kneeling amongst the shattered remains of his victims, holding up one skull in particular...

Would you paint his armour black (a kind of proto-Death Company scheme) or in the regular legion colours, but heavily weathered?

I was thinking like heat scarred chrome armor, and maybe black and charred hands or Blood Red hands, like the sins of the fore beareres kind of thing.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/littlephil_23/IMG_0092.jpg

A slight twist on the artwork LetsYourDown posted would be Alpha legion, with the downed Astartes being from another chapter. The apothecary would be preparing to move the face and one of the on lookers would be a Librarian.

Or, XIIth legion fighting pit for a doffernt take on a battle scene.

Here are the rules from the 'Eye of Horus' FB page;

"These are the guide lines for the Eye of Horus diorama competition.
The competition is to aimed to get all your hobby juices flowing!

1. Diorama must be your own original work. (no recycling your golden daemon winning entry!)
2. No Lords of War can be used in your diorama.
3. Your Diorama and models used must be within the context and theme of the Horus Heresy.

4. Maximum base size is 10"x8"

5. A work in progress (WIP) photo must be submitted at the early stages of your diorama with the word 'carnage' and the date of your WIP.
6. A final photo must be submitted by the 1 Dec to be eligible for judging by a panel.
7. A written short story or explanation for your diorama must be submitted with your final entry.

Judging will be based on the quality of painting, composition, creativity, and construction of your diorama and also your short story or explanation of the diorama that must accompany your entry. A panel of judges will decide the winner based on the photographs of your entries (unless you really want to send your entry to us!) and written piece of work. First prize is a brand new Cerastus Knight Acheron , second prize is a choice of event only Davinite Lodge Priest or Princeps Majoris and third prize is the remaining event only minature.
Send all entries to eyeofhoruspodcast@gmail.com

Good luck and may the best diorama win!"

The Mournival on the embarkation deck would be amazing. That was one of the most powerful and retrospectively melancholic moments in the entire series.

I'm warming to the idea of the Mournival, although it would definitely be a pretty involved project. I'm trying to remember if Abaddon was wearing terminator armour in that scene, I assume he was but I'm not sure. If he was in terminator armour that would rule out any truescaling, not that that really matters though.

I was thinking like heat scarred chrome armor, and maybe black and charred hands or Blood Red hands, like the sins of the fore beareres kind of thing.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/littlephil_23/IMG_0092.jpg

That would look awesome if I could achieve that kind of effect... I've got a feeling it would be pretty difficult though...

A slight twist on the artwork LetsYourDown posted would be Alpha legion, with the downed Astartes being from another chapter. The apothecary would be preparing to move the face and one of the on lookers would be a Librarian.

Or, XIIth legion fighting pit for a different take on a battle scene.

The Alpha Legion is a pretty good idea, and I've wanted to paint some more XXth Legion recently... It would also tell a pretty good story.

The fighting pits/training cages is an idea that I've been thinking of quite a bit. Not necessarily XIIth Legion, but maybe Loken and Lucius for example.

Thanks for the ideas, brothers! 

You could do the scene where Sevetar headbutts Sigismund to put an end to their duel?

I second sigi vs sevetar

How were Sigismund and Sevetar armed during the duel, and were they in full battle plate?

Well, I've started mine. I'm doing Khârn and Argel Tal (the greatest bromance in the Horus Heresy) fighting Legatus Orfeo and the Ultramarines on Armatura. smile.png

Sounds good, dude! I'm looking forward to seeing it :tu:

Hmm does a Knight count as a Low in this context?

I'd say so. Not that I'm particularly keen to paint up a Knight anyway... they're huge.

I don't think there is any real detail about the duel that I have read bit ask slips cause there are a few audio books and shorts I have not heard or read yet but I would say you to do them in armour and with there iconic weapons so as to make the diorama easily identifiable

The fighting pits/training cages is an idea that I've been thinking of quite a bit. Not necessarily XIIth Legion, but maybe Loken and Lucius for example.

While I didn't explain it that's sort of why I meant, a fighting put with any Legions you wanted fighting. Hell you could even do Sev vs Sigismund, but only if you model the crusical moment- the head butt!

I dont recall any of the details of the duel just that they mightve been in carapace armor with simple swords with a paralytic on the blade a la Feast of Blades.

I'm entering as well, although I can't settle for a scenario. So far I've came up with:

First contact with a lost human colony-marine, Mechanichum and Imperial diplomats meeting other humans.

Word Bearers ship being boarded by Ultramarines over Calth

Isstvan V-Death squad executing a captured loyalist whilst others prepare to ambush the squad.

Civil war on Mars-Elements of Dark Mechanichum attacking loyalist

Treaty of Mars/Olympus Mons-The Emperor and Kelbor-Hal forge an alliance.

Dark Angels ship boarded by Night Lords

No doubt come up with a few other ideas as well!

I'm entering as well, although I can't settle for a scenario. So far I've came up with:

First contact with a lost human colony-marine, Mechanichum and Imperial diplomats meeting other humans.

That would be a cool idea, especially if you matched the composition with something similar to say...Christopher Columbus Meeting Natives.

tu.jpg

Kinda Posed like this

Man I never thought of it like that but that gives me even more material for a future destroyer cadre for my Moritat.

Lamenter Destroyer Squads man. Been saying it for years.

Archived