IL XIV - The Dune Serpents

Big Bad Squig

They were meant to have wrist-mounted Chem Throwers right? To be honest from what I've read of their roles I kind of think the Chem-Throwers might be better suited to the Shamshir (who I can't stop imagining with Camoline Cloaks, sort of like assault-orientated Recon Squads) with them springing from cover, hosing down the enemy with Chemicals and carving the survivors apart before slipping back into the shadows. Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Taking a break from writing up the Dune Serpents fluff chapter so I decided to play around with the rules for my units - am I correct in thinking we have nine slots to use for each Legion?  I was thinking either 3 characters, 4 units and 2 wargear or 2 characters, 5 units and 2 wargear.  Anyway, I got ideas for the Djinn down, and I was wondering what people thought.  Also, apologies for any formatting problems -  I've tried and likely failed to imitate Grifft's snazzy rules presentation on the page before.  EDIT: Operation Snazzy Rules Presentation has failed :wacko.:

FAST ATTACK - Djinn (185 points)

Name                   WS          BS          S           T           W          I          A          Ld          Sv

Djinn                     4             4            4           4            1          4          1           8           3+

Djinn Alchemist              4             4            4           4            1          4          2           9           3+

Unit Composition

4 Djinn

1 Djinn Alchemist

Unit Type

Djinn: Infantry

Djinn Alchemist: Infantry (Character)

Wargear

Power Armour

Poisonbreath Launcher

Smoke Grenades

Special Rules

Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents)

Noxious Fumes

Infiltrate

Options

May take up to 10 additional Djinn for +28 points per model.

The Djinn Alchemist may take one of the following:

• Sharibalddam ….. +15 points
  • Power Weapon … +10 points
  • Power Fist ……….. +15 points
  • The Djinn Alchemist may upgrade his Power Armour to Artificer Armour for +10 points

Dedicated Transport

A unit of Djinn numbering ten or fewer models may take a Rhino Armoured Carrier as a Dedicated Transport

Poisonbreath Laucher

Firing Mode          Range          Strength          AP                              Type

Gas Saturation      Template              *                   -                 Assault 1, Corrosive, Gas Dispersion, Poisoned (3+)

Gas Canister             18"                  *                   -                Heavy 2, Blast, Corrosive, Poisoned (5+)

Corrosive: When making save rolls against this weapon, models count their armour save as being one point worse than normal (i.e. a 3+ armour save becomes a 4+ armour save.

Gas Dispersion: Template weapons with this special rule only make one attack when firing Overwatch.

Noxious Fumes: Shrouded.  In addition, all enemy models in a unit charging or being charged by a unit of Djinn must take a Dangerous Terrain test after charge rolls have been made.

Edited by Big Bad Squig

Taking a thorough look at the Djinn, first question, why are they Fast Attack? How does Noxious Fumes work as a special rule as opposed to a piece of wargear? 

I do find the idea interesting. I'm not sure if we've seen anything like Corrosive, have we?

Corrupted Godslayers potentially having the Corrosive rule in close combat sounds like a thing, but I don't see any reason for the Serpents not to get something like this on a ranged weapon. I would personally add a proviso that the base armour value is compared to AP to determine if a save is allowed though, but that is just to avoid potential rules interactions getting too crazy (I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any).

I think they look ok overall. They have good weapons, but they have short range and are heavy. They can take fairly large units, but are

Infantry so they are restricted in movement. Is the intention to give them access to a Rhino for units of 10 or less? If not I'd consider it as it would let you use them in a wider range of Rites (Orbital Assault or Armoured Spearhead). You always have the option of not taking it and using their Infiltrate/outflank.

The only thing I would say is that they might be a little too much defensively. Imagine a full unit overwatching: 15D3 Fleshbane hits, with an absolutely best case save of 3+. Average rolls gives ~30 hits, 25 of which wound and then ~8 failed saves at best (2+ save). On top of that the whole charging unit must make a Ld test to be able to charge in the fist place, then take a Dangerous Terrain check to make it to you, and finally they won't even get the bonus attack for charging. I'd consider allowing the unit to only use the Gas Canister option for overwatch, which would still give a respectable number of hits due to having 2 shots per marine.

Yeah, I'll fix the overwatch thing - maybe also making both of them -1 to wound (poisoned 3+ and poisoned 5+ respectively) but make the canister option small blast, cause it seems a bit weird to have it as a solid shot given the nature of the weapon to me. They are meant to have a transport option, I just forgot to add it. They're fast attack because of the infiltrating, and reasoned that seekers etc were fast attack so they fitted best there. Would they be better suited as elites?

I'm up for that if there aren't other applicants for the position - in fact he could be a member of the Viper Fangs if you wanted.  I guess his path to excess would depend on where he originated from.  Iirc I had the idea for him to be a Dune Serpent with close ties to the Eagle Warriors, which would mean a more traditional Slaanesh character, but given the Serpents' fondness for chemical weapons I could see that becoming another interesting way for him to fall.

Iirc I had the idea for him to be a Dune Serpent with close ties to the Eagle Warriors, which would mean a more traditional Slaanesh character, but given the Serpents' fondness for chemical weapons I could see that becoming another interesting way for him to fall.

I like this train of thought, I'm getting a very Edward Crane/Scarecrow vibe from this guy and I think we should explore that further. I'm picturing this guy having an arsenal of special toxins he can use with varying effects, I'm thinking potential delivery systems could be grenade launchers, chemical sprayers, needler pistol (or pistols, maybe he's a Moritat?), a Sniper Rifle and of course, good ol'fashioned blades.

Perhaps part of what earns him his favour with Slaanesh is that he uses psychotropic gases and toxins to inflict the same emotional/sensual extremes on his foes by using his chems to mess with their heads. For example, he might gas an Imperial regiment with something that makes then feel so unbearably itchy they literally start flaying themselves alive in a futile attempt to stop "the itch." Maybe they become hypersensitive to every sensation in their bodies, so that the tiniest of stones in their shoes become like walking on lemon juice-covered razorblades, the weakest of daylight feels like grinding ground glass into their eyes, the mere beating of their own hearts is a earbursting blast, etc.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Getting high on his own supply? I'm in favour of using guys who work closely with the Eagle Warriors, as I'm not quote sure where the Viper Fangs will go on their heretical journey.

I also need to find somewhere to develop my sound-crazed Heretic (chord claws and/or transonic razors)

Edited by bluntblade

Okay so I just looked up Tamerlane on Wikipedia (which in retrospect I'm surprised I had to do, you'd think a man who killed 5% of the world's population would be more famous) and gotta admit I never expected Doombreed's possible mortal origin to be a devout Muslim and patron of the arts, but holy :cuss this guy is terrifying. What kind of psychopath kills 17 MILLION PEOPLE over the course of his life, and then when he finally dies has a message engraved upon his tomb that reads:

"WHEN I RISE FROM THE DEAD, THE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE."

And for the blood-red icing on the gore-soaked cake adds-

"WHOMSOEVER OPENS MY TOMB SHALL UNLEASH AN INVADER MORE TERRIBLE THAN I."

-On the inside of his casket, just for good measure?!?! :o

Made some more progress on the Dursk Rassan - do they seem ok or are they lacking something (something seems a bit off to me but I'm not sure)?  Also, what do you guys think about them being Fast Attack - does that fit?  Oh, and also I've just fixed up the first post of this thread to have all the near-finalised stuff in it.

FAST ATTACK - Dursk Rassan Heavy Assault Squad (285 points)

Name                   WS          BS          S           T           W          I          A          Ld          Sv

Dursk Rassan              4             4            4           4            1          4          1           8           3+

Dursk Qal                 5             4            4           4            1          4          2           9           3+

Unit Composition

- 9 Dursk Rassan

1 Dursk Qal

Unit Type

- Dursk Rassan: Jump Infantry

- Dursk Qal: Jump Infantry (Character)

Wargear

- Power Armour

- Jump Pack

- Chainaxe

- Hand Flamer with Chem Munitions

- Frag and Krak Grenades

Special Rules

- Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents)

- Hardened Armour

- Implacable Advance

Options

- May take up to 5 additional Dursk Rassan for +20 points per model.

- The unit may take Melta Bombs for +50 points.

- For every 5 models in the unit, one Dursk Rassan may replace their Hand Flamer with a Flamer with Chem Munitions for +5 points per model.

- For every 5 models in the unit, one Dursk Rassan may replace their Chainaxe with a Power Axe for +10 points per model.

- The Dursk Qal may take one of the following:

§  Sharibalddam ……… +15 points

§  Power Weapon ……. +10 points

§  Power Fist …………… +15 points

§  Thunder Hammer … +20 points

- The Dursk Qal may upgrade his Power Armour to Artificer Armour for +10 points

EDIT: Added Kalhu Nachash's updated version

HQ - Kalhu Nachash (135 points)

Kalhu Nachash           5             5            4           4            2          5          3           9            2+

Unit Composition

1 (Unique)

Unit Type

Jump Infantry (Character)

Wargear

Artificer Armour

Jump Pack

Qatal

Hand Flamer with Chem Munitions

Frag and Krak Grenades

Special Rules

Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents)

Implacable Advance

Independent Character

Hardened Armour

Warlord Trait

Take And Hold: Kalhu and his unit gain the Stubborn special rule when holding an objective

Qatal

Range          Strength          AP                              Type

-                  +2                 2                 Melee, Unwieldy, Master Crafted

Edited by Big Bad Squig