Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wolf King Spoilers and Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
230 replies to this topic

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts
Summary in tags

Spoiler

I'll answer any questions in greater depth.

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 02 October 2015 - 11:54 PM.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Emperor's Furor

Emperor's Furor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,972 posts

I ordered the hard copy but the only thing I want to know is if the Dark Angels show up?

L_T_Banner_V2.jpggallery_48988_6285_17537.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts
Yes. With some info that will help your army.

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 03 October 2015 - 12:00 AM.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

Emperor's Furor

Emperor's Furor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,972 posts

Thank you thank you thank you!

L_T_Banner_V2.jpggallery_48988_6285_17537.png

DarKnight

DarKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 737 posts
Much appreciated Marshal. You feel the overall story of the Heresy and the Wolves has been enriched in any appreciable way? And are these Lutherite Angels loyal to the Imperium and not the Lion? How does the duel between Russ and Alpharius go? How sure are we this is really Alpharius?

Edited by DarKnight, 03 October 2015 - 12:27 AM.

Trial Of Blood Part I & IIPrelude To ArmageddonBlack blood vomited through corrupted lips as he struggled to speak his last. "I-iron within, iron wi.." His legion's motto was cut short as Soghur ended his life with a final swing of his axe. "You know nothing of iron, traitor," spat the Iron Hand as he strode over his already forgotten enemy.<p>"I understand you might think the IX Legion a bit... overzealous with our devotion to blood. But you must understand, blood is the most valuable resource on Baal. The tribeless are left to die. Lord Sanguinius was the only surviving orphan anyone could remember who actually thrived before he was found. So you see, his blood is singular in the history of our world, and we are honored to share it with him." - Ninth Captain Demion

1.jpg

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts

Summary in tags

Spoiler

Spoiler

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,815 posts
Oooooh DA star fort.....

....Depthcharge likey.
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

Much appreciated Marshal. You feel the overall story of the Heresy and the Wolves has been enriched in any appreciable way? 

Definitely, the story goes into detail about Russ' view of psychic powers and the way the Wolves' practice them, which can only be beneficial to the Rune Priest breaking the edict arguments. It was also great to see Russ throw away the 'Executioner' attitude as a self-estimation that never was truly the case. 

And are these Lutherite Angels loyal to the Imperium and not the Lion?

It seems like it, because they only joined the battle once they were sure of the Wolves loyalties.

How does the duel between Russ and Alpharius go? How sure are we this is really Alpharius?

It is short, and I'm pretty sure it's Alpharius because he has the Pale Spear.

Also, fun side note. Russ specifically says Guilliman hated Alpharius. 

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,763 posts

It seems like it, because they only joined the battle once they were sure of the Wolves loyalties.

New plot twist: Both factions of Dark Angels were loyal to the Imperium? :o

Previously known as Telanicus

Sanguinary Crusader Page (Lore, Models, Etc)
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen

The Four Star Pact (Chaos Alliance Lore, Model, Etc)

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

Summary in tags

Spoiler

Spoiler

Russ senses Alpharius' presence and demands he face him, at which point the Alpha Legionaries part ranks to allow him through. Russ begins to charge at Alpharius when the Star Fort and Dark Angels Fleet appear before they can land blows. They stare at each other for a minute and Alpharius nods at Russ before teleporting away. 

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

New plot twist: Both factions of Dark Angels were loyal to the Imperium? ohmy.png

I'm not sure. These guys definitely seem to be, but they haven't been to Caliban in nearly 60 years. I imagine these Lutherite outposts will be the basis of the Fallen hunted down by the chapter post-sundering of Caliban.

DarKnight

DarKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 737 posts

Summary in tags

Spoiler

Spoiler

Russ senses Alpharius' presence and demands he face him, at which point the Alpha Legionaries part ranks to allow him through. Russ begins to charge at Alpharius when the Star Fort and Dark Angels Fleet appear before they can land blows. They stare at each other for a minute and Alpharius nods at Russ before teleporting aeway.
Is this supposed to be a deal like Russ' canine senses can smell and recognize the true Alpharius or some innate, latently psychic ability that one primarch can sense another? IMO no way the AL can infiltrate a legion right under the very eye of their primarch. (Looking at you Deliverance Lost)

Edited by DarKnight, 03 October 2015 - 01:13 AM.

Trial Of Blood Part I & IIPrelude To ArmageddonBlack blood vomited through corrupted lips as he struggled to speak his last. "I-iron within, iron wi.." His legion's motto was cut short as Soghur ended his life with a final swing of his axe. "You know nothing of iron, traitor," spat the Iron Hand as he strode over his already forgotten enemy.<p>"I understand you might think the IX Legion a bit... overzealous with our devotion to blood. But you must understand, blood is the most valuable resource on Baal. The tribeless are left to die. Lord Sanguinius was the only surviving orphan anyone could remember who actually thrived before he was found. So you see, his blood is singular in the history of our world, and we are honored to share it with him." - Ninth Captain Demion

1.jpg

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,288 posts
I feel that Wraight has similtaneously added depth to both the DA and the SW...

About these Lutherite DA, they'lk likely denounce Luther when they discover his corruption. They seem to be under the impression that Luther is loyal to the Imperium and merely opposes the Lion?

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

Summary in tags

Spoiler

Spoiler

Russ senses Alpharius' presence and demands he face him, at which point the Alpha Legionaries part ranks to allow him through. Russ begins to charge at Alpharius when the Star Fort and Dark Angels Fleet appear before they can land blows. They stare at each other for a minute and Alpharius nods at Russ before teleporting aeway.
Is this supposed to be a deal like Russ' canine senses can smell and recognize the true Alpharius or some innate, latently psychic ability that one primarch can sense another? IMO no way the AL can infiltrate a legion right under the very eye of their primarch. (Looking at you Deliverance Lost)

I think he just knows he is there to finish the Wolves off. In context, the Alpha has appeared and is bearing down on the Hrafnkel(sp?) when the Terminators teleport in. It doesn't specifically state why, other than just a feeling. So less Darth Vader detecting Luke, and more Han Solo knowing the old man and kid smuggling droids were gonna be bad news. 

I feel that Wraight has similtaneously added depth to both the DA and the SW...

About these Lutherite DA, they'lk likely denounce Luther when they discover his corruption. They seem to be under the impression that Luther is loyal to the Imperium and merely opposes the Lion?

I don't think they have ever met the Lion. It seems like they were recruited after the Lion had left Luther behind. 

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,714 posts

I'm not sure. These guys definitely seem to be, but they haven't been to Caliban in nearly 60 years. I imagine these Lutherite outposts will be the basis of the Fallen hunted down by the chapter post-sundering of Caliban.

Just finished. Yeah, that's my thought, they really have no idea what's going on at all. Had to loot the Hrafnkel's records to even know Prospero was a thing.

I thought he just spotted him through the throng of bodies? Like Russ is just yelling for a while and then there's that momentary gap in the Alpha Legion's lines where he spots an aloof Terminator with the pale spear and he's like "oh, duh." But I think this book implies Russ has some amount of latent psyker potential as well (but most of the primarchs actually have some connection to the warp, it's hard to tell in this).

edit: I should note, it doesn't really call out the pale spear specifically, just that he has a long power weapon with a strange glow.

Edited by LetsYouDown, 03 October 2015 - 01:19 AM.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

It described the emerald glow that made me connect it to the spear. 

Sidenote: Also, the Wolves are pissed at the Scars for abandoning them to the Alpha Legion, to the point Gunn wonders if they are loyal or not. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 03 October 2015 - 01:21 AM.

Phoebus

Phoebus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,152 posts

Sigh.

In what way does it help the larger plot for Lutherite Dark Angels to save the Space Wolves? To begin with, the whole point of Luther being on Caliban was to push out reinforcements to the Legion - not to set up garrisons in vicinity of obscure nebula. Additionally, Luther was still singing the praises of the Lion (however saddened he might have been by his exile) at the time that he would have sent Althalos, so there is no point in him or his subordinates being disdainful of their primarch. 

Beyond that, this twist takes away the chance to set up a connection for one of the few Dark Angels-Space Wolves storylines, which was the two Legions joining forces to race back to Terra and thwart Horus. Sure, it's not time for that yet, but an arrival by Corswain, Belath, or even the Lion would have gone some way in setting up that plot angle.

I guess I'll have to read to see if this twist makes more sense in context. For right now, color me frustrated.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

Sigh.

In what way does it help the larger plot for Lutherite Dark Angels to save the Space Wolves? To begin with, the whole point of Luther being on Caliban was to push out reinforcements to the Legion - not to set up garrisons in vicinity of obscure nebula. Additionally, Luther was still singing the praises of the Lion (however saddened he might have been by his exile) at the time that he would have sent Althalos, so there is no point in him or his subordinates being disdainful of their primarch. 

Beyond that, this twist takes away the chance to set up a connection for one of the few Dark Angels-Space Wolves storylines, which was the two Legions joining forces to race back to Terra and thwart Horus. Sure, it's not time for that yet, but an arrival by Corswain, Belath, or even the Lion would have gone some way in setting up that plot angle.

I guess I'll have to read to see if this twist makes more sense in context. For right now, color me frustrated.

Phoebus, meet Althalos, Russ' Dark Angel ally who he leaves his fleet with to repair before setting off together to race to Terra. 

It's probably going to be these guys and the Wolves showing up at the same time as Guilliman and the Lion that makes Horus drop his shields or something. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 03 October 2015 - 01:30 AM.

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,714 posts

It described the emerald glow that made me connect it to the spear. 

Sidenote: Also, the Wolves are pissed at the Scars for abandoning them to the Alpha Legion, to the point Gunn wonders if they are loyal or not. 

Yup. The green glow from the implied Necron connection?

Love that the Scars aren't totally in the clear yet, not that it'll take long to be resolved in the future. And the real reason the Dark Angels are so ashamed of themselves having a schism post-Heresy is getting more complex, which is potentically cool. Really, this book has a lot of good lore for being a limited edition...

Can I also add, this book is very quotable for how short it is. Some of my favorites in tags:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hopefully. Nothing seemed too batty to me but I'm not always the most discerning. 

DarKnight

DarKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 737 posts
Really appreciate you guys contributing with spoilers and answering our questions. Now I read the excerpt BL put out which describes the nebula the Wolves went to hide in and the advantage/superiority of ships the AL had over them. Dare I say it, the AL just plain out maneuvered the Wolves instead of resorting to cheap trickery? Amazing. Also, did we learn much about Gunnar Gunnhilt before his demise? Did his sacrifice actually make sense from a tactical standpoint or just squeezed in there for forced emotional resonance? Was the reason of green armor of the Angels described?

1.jpg

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,663 posts

Oh yes. His sacrifice blocked off the tunnel the Wolves were escaping thru, and gave them space to get ahead of the AL. 

Also took down a capital vessel. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 03 October 2015 - 02:04 AM.

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,714 posts

Was the reason of green armor of the Angels described?

It seems to be a link to Caliban's culture, Calibanites, and/or Luther. What that implies as to why the 40k DA are green is hard to say.

More thoughts on the DA: Someone mentioned that Luther wasn't super bitter at the point when these guys were sent out. I don't think he made them that way in their inception, they merely became that way apart from Luther and the Lion, just from being isolated for so long. Remember, the Alaxxes garrison has never met their primarch, or possibly any primarch, and don't get what the big deal is until Russ comes in and slaps Althalos on the shoulder bro-style.

Edited by LetsYouDown, 03 October 2015 - 02:13 AM.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts

Dare I say it, the AL just plain out maneuvered the Wolves instead of resorting to cheap trickery? Amazing. 

I would agree this is a fair statement, but some consideration has to be taken into account here, such as:

-The Wolves are acknowledged as not being exceptionally talented in void warfare. They see naval ships as a means to get into face to face conflict, and have no true love of it. Bjorn admits this has to be corrected
-the AL fleet massively outnumbers the Wolves. like to a stupid degree
-the Wolf fleet, and the Wolves themselves, are worn down and still reeling from Prospero. They are hardly at fighting strength. The AL are fresh, unencumbered and going for the kill.

WLK

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,703 posts

Fantastic book. I am not a Space Wolf fan. They have always been one of my least favourite Legions/Chapters, but I think Chris Wraight hit the nail on the head in this novella. He added depth to their character, a little weakness, without making the mistake that some other authors have made, and that many people complain about: the impression that the wolves are simply better than everybody else. I like them a lot more after this novella than before. Wolf King really reinforces what makes them unique as a Legion without taking it too far.

My favourite quote:

Spoiler

This should be a mandatory read for anybody who complains about the Space Wolves being the 'Emperor's Executioners'. I thought the Alpha Legion were fittingly insidious without being comical too, which is also a pleasant change.

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,714 posts

Fantastic book. I am not a Space Wolf fan. They have always been one of my least favourite Legions/Chapters, but I think Chris Wraight hit the nail on the head in this novella. He added depth to their character, a little weakness, without making the mistake that some other authors have made, and that many people complain about: the impression that the wolves are simply better than everybody else. I like them a lot more after this novella than before. Wolf King really reinforces what makes them unique as a Legion without taking it too far.

My favourite quote:

Spoiler

This should be a mandatory read for anybody who complains about the Space Wolves being the 'Emperor's Executioners'. I thought the Alpha Legion were fittingly insidious without being comical too, which is also a pleasant change.

I almost feel like this book was specifically addressed to some of the arguments about the Wolves I've seen on a few boards this year. Wraight has so far proven to be a very "fair" writer, in that he looks at each legion he's including in his writing and treats each with respect. Daemonology coming out after Vengeful Spirit's odd handling of Mortarion is another good example of him acting as BL's damage control. It's kind of interesting.

Some will argue against this with the Scars because of the asian accent stuff, so it's a YMMV thing.