Unified Prakith Expeditionary Force: Stormthroe's Paint Log

Stormthroe

Hey all!  This thread will be serving as my paint log for my budding Imperial Guard army!

Though the light infantry army was an idea, I came up with this idea overnight based on my time in the Marine Corps after finding a nice looking bunch of bits on Victoria Miniatures.  My muse just started running, and next thing I knew, the fluff started to pour out.  I apologize for any formatting or language mistakes; my spell check is iffy at best due to some outdated software.  I do hope y'all enjoy the read!  The first bunch of minis should be coming up here near the middle of the month, and its roll-time from there!

Unified Prakith Expeditionary Force/Unified Prakith Government

The Prakith System is a far-flung collection of habitable planets in the Segmentum Tempestus.  It is composed of no less than seven livable worlds, and home to over 37 billion souls under the Emperor’s gaze.  Within its borders sit the Industrial Worlds Harvest and Bastion, the Agri-World Helion, the inhabited Hive-Moon of Tardis Segundus, the feral, mired world of Eteris, and of course the planets Prakith Major and the smaller, well-fortified Prakith Minor that orbits it.

The system is ruled over by a rather new government known as the United Prakith Government; a ruling democracy based on the system’s capital of Prakith Major.  It was founded in the year 841.M40 as a result of a civil war within the system known as the Areios Insurrection, a six year long civil war between the loyalist Prakith Republic and the heretical Areios Confederacy.

The war started originally due to an increase of tithes on the system, both in terms of resources and in manpower for the Imperial Guard.  At the time, each world had been required to tithe independently of one another, although tensions had always existed between them due to differing opinions on government, faith, economics, and other political issues.  As a result, the Planetary Ruler of Bastion, Lord Lithonious Areios, began to publicly announce his disagreements with the High Lords that bordered heresy, and turned the wary eyes of his neighbors upon him.  Soon after, the rulers of Tardis Segundus, whose people were in uproar of the increased tithes of manpower for their armies, and Eteris, whose hardy survivalist colonists felt they had been forgotten by the Emperor’s Light upon their backwater, harsh world, announced their support of Lord Areios’s beliefs, further increasing tensions around them.

In the year 835.M40, a force of insurrectionists attacked an emergency council held between the governments of Prakith Major and Minor, Helion, and Harvest to assess the situation, and a week later, Areios declared himself the head of a new Confederacy, denouncing the Emperor’s Light and sparking the conflict as insurrectionist forces mobilized for war.  In response to the attack, the remaining leadership of the other planets in the system rallied behind the government of Prakith, declaring themselves the Prakith Republic.  Warfronts soon erupted across the system as the people of each world chose sides.

For two years, the war raged and it very much looked like the Republic’s forces were being pushed back.  However, this changed when the Emperor’s Faithful of Eteris overthrew their traitorous planetary governor, and sided with the Republic.  Eteris’s harsh environments came to the forefront of the Insurrection, and in a master stroke by the generals of the Tartarus War College, the system’s most esteemed military academy on the surface of Prakith Minor, their elite forces coming down hard on the Insurrectionist forces remaining on the feral planet.  The loyalist forces hailing from Prakith led the charge, using their unique form of expeditionary warfare and strict combat doctrine to push back the forces of the Confederacy.

In 838.M40, the established government of Prakith took control of the Republic as a whole; they standardized the processes for training soldiers, and established stable economies all under the Emperor’s banner as the war continued to rage.  Recruitment drives and propaganda tactics, as well as the arrival of aid from Cadian regiments, strongly bolstered the Republic’s forces.  Soon into the year, the combined might of the Cadian 325th Regiment and the newly established 13th Prakith Expeditionary Force had broken through the pickets of the Areios Confederacy and regained control of most of Tardis Segundus’s hive cities as well as ousted all insurrectionist forces from the surface of Eteris.  With renewed vigor, Lord Areios saw his forces failing in the face of a massive, unified, inspired, and very powerful Prakith military, which following the war’s completion three years later, became known as the Unified Prakith Marine Corps. 

Despite the momentum of the final push, the final siege of Bastion lasted a year and cost Prakith’s forces dearly.  The remaining Confederacy forces from the other worlds had been beaten back and prepared to defend Lord Areios’s remaining planet to the death.  The Industrial World’s gantries and foundries became listening posts, sniping perches, and gun nests, with scrap metal hastily welded into place to form row upon row of manmade trenches.  Unable to deploy in their normal fashion, Prakith’s Marines were on the backfoot from the moment they touched down upon Bastion’s surface as they were forced to assault through waves of enemy fire.

In the end, the final breech was conducted by a unified push that combined the forces of Prakith with the might of Cadia’s armored columns and an elite detachment of hardened veterans from Elysia.  It took almost two months before, finally, Areios’s palace was breached and the traitor put to death for his crimes against the Emperor.  The remaining Confederacy forces agreed to a treaty, signed upon the memorial that had been erected upon the very spot that the original Republic leaders had met for emergency council and where Areios had started the war.  As one, the republic elected not to disband following the end of the Areios Insurrection, instead founding the Unified Prakith Government to maintain the balance of the system that had been fought for in the bloody conflict.  Named for both its system and the efforts of the original democratic government of Prakith that served as the outline for the new system government, the first decree of the Unified Prakith Government was to appeal for personal management of the system’s tithes, distributing them much more fairly amongst the planets that now burned from the conflict.

As for its military, the Unified Prakith Marine Corps established itself as part of the system-wide tithe, and dozens of military academies were established using the same curriculum as that of the Tartarus War College on Prakith Minor to train, equip, and deploy the newest weapon available to the Emperor’s arsenal; the Annaeus Academy was founded within the ruins of Areios’s palace on Bastion to be used to train Marines and keep close watch on the Industrial World’s populace, while the Mojaro and Gladius Academies were founded on Harvest and Helion respectively.  Dozens of smaller schools were founded as well, each bearing the name of a hero fallen in the conflict, to train specific military occupations and refine each part of the military machine that Prakith’s forces had become. 

As special privilege for their loyalty, as well as for the natural benefit of their harsh world, Eteris had an academy founded upon its surface that trained the more elite troops of Prakith in the specialized combat and survival tactics of the Elysian allies that had helped seize Bastion, becoming in the process the de facto headquarters of Prakith’s Special Operations Command.  Soldiers from this special school, dubbed Callistus Shock Trooper Academy in honor of the first Elysian to touch down on Prakith, are hailed by the already skilled Prakith Marines as the best of the best, and have earned the nickname “Falling Angels” among the soldiers of the lines for both their skills and the morale they bring as they deploy by grav-chute, Valkyrie, or in rare cases by drop pod to the battlefield.

Unified Prakith Government and Unified Prakith Expeditionary Force Lore

Thanks Fish! I found some awesome model parts to use from a site in the resources page. I figure, I'll keep it narrowed down to one or two pieces per model mixed with cadian bits for the event I happen to go to a gw sanctioned event.

I was thinking camo-cloaks across the board, but I also want something signature for the army; I like the idea of tomahawks, which I was able to find a bulk bit site that has the perfect size for what I'm looking for. Overall, the theme will be based very much on native Americans, mixed with modern light infantry units to get the look I'm going for. Additionally, any chimeras I have will be getting the wheel kit to replace the treads out of personal preference. Does any one have any other ideas I can throw in?

Sounds like you've got a good plan to me, should be plenty if you don't add anything else though perhaps if you felt the theme needed to be stronger some feathers from DA sprues and the like might be nice. Much can be done with the colours you use too so give that some thought.

Hey guys!  I appreciate it greatly; I actually have to make a decision on the reconnaissance force as Victoria Miniatures has an awesome Marine Corps-esque set that with some kitbashing would make an excellent force for the Guard.  A friend of mine plays lizardmen and graciously let me make a mold of the feathers on those models; a bit bigger than pea-sized ball of greenstuff makes about six to seven feathers, so I got plenty there!

So, I now have two regimental lores in the works; the Arhain Rangers are one, and the United Prakith Marine Corps.  Until I can buy models, I am torn on which I'd like to do.  The molds and work from Victoria are fantastic by the way; if anyone ever has any question on where to look for some good quality bits, the molds are fantastic, but if you want to use them in GW tourneys make sure to use the legs and arms and such from their kits too!

Aye, light infantry. I remember those days...

Anyway, I'm liking the fluff so far! Tomahawks sound like a nice addition to set your force apart from other people's stuff. It does feel very Tanith so good job there.

The thing seldom seen or written about in 40k is naval battles. Yeah, we have tons and tons of land battle reports and even aeronautical stories, but I can't seem to remember very many ship-to-shore action scenes or that it even gets mentioned in most books. Of course, Black Library really isn't into the 40k lore- as long as it's violent and poorly edited, they'll take it. I digress as that's another topic completely. Anywho, those guardsmen that get training to excel at marine manoeuvres should be highlighted and I encourage you to do so with your own force.

117th Unified Prakith Expeditionary Task Force

"Ex Astra, Ad Bellum"

-From the stars, to war-

Official Motto of the Unified Prakith Marine Corps

The 117th Unified Prakith Expeditionary Task Force is one of the most venerated fighting forces to have ever been produced from the Prakith System within the Segmentum Tempestus.  As per Prakith Military Doctrine, the regiment is not pulled from a single world, but is a conglomeration of Prakith Marines pulled from each of the seven worlds under the control of the Unified Prakith Government.  For over 700 years, the 117th has fought and bled in service to the Emperor against numerous enemies; it was one of the units that had fought at the Siege of Bastion during the Areios Insurrection, and since then has campaigned against the savage Waaaagh! of the Oruk Tyrant Gorhide, bording actions ahainst the piratical raiders of the Dark Eldar Archon Bhaal Drogan and his Kabal of the Splintered Tower, and skirmishes with the forces of the Tau and the Craftworld Biel-Tan. 

The Unified Prakith military places extreme emphasis on the utility of combined-arms and expeditionary warfare; a doctrine that has served them well in over a hundred battles.  Prakith Marines are trained to hold no loyalties but to the Emperor and their fellow Marines; even from basic training, they are shipped worlds away to be mentally broken and reformed into the soldiers they need to be without any ties to creed nor tribe nor color.  It is arguable that the brotherhood among their soldiers and the espirit du corps of Prakith's Marines is greater than even the propagandized military of Cadia, and it is rare that they will ever leave a man behind. 

The motto of Prakith's Marines, "Ex Astra, Ad Bellum, means From the Stars, to War, and that phrase sums up their military specialty perfectly.  Taking numerous tactics from dozens of regiments, including the elite soldiers of Cadia and Elysia, Prakith's Marines are able to rapidly deploy upon a planet's surface from orbiting Imperial Navy vessels and clear a landing zone to allow supplies and reinforcements to quickly fall in behind them.  Each Marine has undergone extensive rifle drill, and it is a common saying upon Prakith that the most dangerous thing in a galaxy full of horrors is a Marine and his rifle.  Every Prakith Task Force is a balanced, combined arms organization that places air, ground, and logistical elements all under a single commander.  Air forces are almost always flown by the Prakith Marines Air Corps, while ground forces are recruited from both the Prakith Marines Infantry and Armored Regiments.  Additionally, most Expeditionary Task Forces also incorporate elite soldiers trained on the feral, dangerous world of Eteris at the Callistus Shock Trooper Academy, who, like the Kasrkin of Cadia and the Drop Troopers of Elysia, are considered to be the best soldiers the world has to offer.

Currently, the 117th Unified Prakith Expeditionary Task Force is under the command of Lieutenant-General Iacobus Orestes; a veteran officer of over 40 years in service to the Emperor.  As an esteemed graduate of the Prakith War College, General Orestes has shown his understanding of Astra Militarum and Prakith Military Doctrine to be unmatchable.  Unlike most commanding officers of the Imperial Guard, General Orestes is beloved by the men under his command for the compassion he feels for them; he cares for them greatly, and in his opinion, each life lost is more precious than any ground gained.  That said, he knows his duty to the Emperor and to Prakith, and bears the weight of command upon his shoulders with professionalism and determination and expects his Marines to fight, bleed, and sweat with the same.  Beneath his banner, the 117th Unified Prakith Expeditionary Task Force is comprised of the 110th Prakith Marines Infantry Regiment, the 343rd Prakith Marines Armor Divison, and the 501st Prakith Marines Air Corps.  The 117th Task Force is also joined in battle by the elite warriors of the Prakith Shock Troopers trained at the Callistus Academy on Eteris in the form of the 213th High Orbit Precision Entry (HOPE) Troopers, whose descent onto the battlefield is heralded with nearly the same shock, awe, and fear as the Space Marines.

Archived