HQ/Heavy Support choices?

RavenousPanda

Ive picked a general direction on how im going to start my army.  Will be looking at some Heavy Support choices.  Looking to be around 1000pts ish

1x Rhino

10x Tac Marines

5x Death Company

5x Assault Marines

That is what im starting with.  I am currently looking at HQ choices.  I sort of have it narrowed down to Gabriel Seth, Astorath the Grim or a regular Priest.  Thoughts?  Criticism? Input appreciated.

Astorath is great for this level, he can tank for the DC pretty well and drastically increases thier effectiveness.

Seth isn't a HQ choice though, he's a load of War. A libby will serve you better than a priest too.

Are the assault in a pod or with packs? You need more if it's packs, they can screen for the DC well :)

That's a reasonable starting force. If you're aiming to have a Battleforged list, you've almost got enough to run either a Baal Strike Force, or a Combined Arms Detachment. The Tactical marines can be run as two squads of 5, as you need two troop options for either detachment.

Either way, that's a flexible force to run with. I'd recommend Jumppacks on the Death Company, and a power weapon or two.

As for HQ, Gabriel Seth is very cool, and quite a good beatstick, but he doesn't actually fill your HQ slots, as he's a Lord of War. For you, I'd suggest either Astorath the Grim, as he makes DC right killy, or a Chaplain with a jumppack and your choice of neat gear. He'll come out cheaper than Astorath, and still deal a hefty punch, especially with DC. A Priest does make DC better, but the main benefit he provides (the Feel No Pain USR) is already in the DC.

You could run a Priest with the Assault Marines, but IMO AM are best as problem solvers. That is, you see a problem, and they shoot at it. They're quick and maneuverable and can carry a reasonable amount of firepower. In this role, though, they're not very good places to put your characters, though. That's because usually, they do a thing, and then they die. A Priest will help them last longer, but he's not gonna survive too well.

Sounds like I will go with Astorath.  Death Company and Assault Marines will have jump packs.  Although I like the idea of keeping a drop pod in reserves.  Perhaps I should purchase a few more DC and AM.  What about heavy choices?

You don't have a choice, the Drop Pod will begin the game off the board and arrive on the first turn :)

Unless you really want that box of Assault Marines, opt for two boxes of Death Company as this will give you more BA-looking models (you can always paint the saltires white which is the Assault Squad symbol).

Adding Astorath will increase the firepower the DC receive, so increasing their numbers is a good idea. Alternatively, a regular Chaplain might be a suitable HQ candidate (perhaps you could run Asotrath as one?) as it will save you points at 1k level.

Regarding Heavy Support and considering you have a mobile force, perhaps a Predator (autocannon, lascannon sponsons) or a even a Baal Predator (assault cannon, heavy bolter sponsons) could be idea choices. I think I'd prefer the former for popping transports, but you'll need something else for killing heavier armour. A Vindicator would also be a decent choice at this level and possibly a cheap Devastator squad (sat on an Objective and in cover) could work for you. Sadly, at 1k level a Stormraven is arguably too expensive for you.

Id rather increase my DC by 5 to be honest.  Would you recommend running them as 2 squads or 1 10 man squad?  For heavy I was thinking about a Predator kitted out as you suggested.  I don't have my codex or rule book yet as it takes forever to ship to Kuwait.  So not exactly sure where I would be sitting point wise thus far.  What is the difference between the Baal Pred and Regular?

Id rather increase my DC by 5 to be honest.  Would you recommend running them as 2 squads or 1 10 man squad?  For heavy I was thinking about a Predator kitted out as you suggested.  I don't have my codex or rule book yet as it takes forever to ship to Kuwait.  So not exactly sure where I would be sitting point wise thus far.

If you're taking Astorath, consider 7-8 models (one power fist [or axe if you need to save points], one power sword/maul/spear). You could even stick the remaining into the RAS or use them as spare DC. As for Codex woes, I'd recommend getting Battlescribe on your smart phone.

But that's just me :)

My recommandation : If your want to have many hq choice for cheap, you can use the Sanguinary Guard box that allow you to build a Sanguinary Guard like:

- Astorath

- Mephiston(if you have spare backpack from assault squad box or DC box)

- Dante

- Malakim phoros(If you have space backpack)

- Seth (with the assault squad eviscerator and again if you have spare backback)

- a Librarian

- a Captain

With a single box you can make many HQ and LOW. That a simple and cheap trick when begining or when you don't find that the classic models are at your taste^^. =)

Good to know.  So its basically just more consistent kills, than a potential high amount of kills.  Sounds like magnetizing a Pred will be the way to go.  I realize I should be doing that anyway to save money, but in my current location/situation it may prove a little difficult than just gluing it. 

Archived