Astra Militarum Squadron Rules

L30n1d4s

Just like Eldar, Space Marines, Dark Angels, etc., I hope that Astra Militarum get access to bonuses for taking full Squadrons of vehicles.

Here are some ideas I had for AM Squadron Rules:

1 - Vendetta Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, gains Strafing Run rule

2 - Valkyrie Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then units disembarking via Grav-Chute Insertion do not scatter

3 - Hellhound/Devil Dog/Bane Wolf Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then unit gains Preferred Enemy USR

4 - Scout Sentinel Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then all models in unit add +3" to their normal move (for a net 9" movement)

5 - Armoured Sentinel Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then unit gains Tank Hunter and Monster Hunter USRs

6 - Basilisk Battery --  If Battery consists of 3 models, then enemy units must re-roll successful cover/Invul saves caused by this unit

7 - Wyvern Battery -- If Battery consists of 3 models, then all models in the unit gain the Rending USR

8 - Hydra  Battery -- If Battery consists of 3 models, then unit gains the ability to shoot Snap Shots at BS2

9 - Leman Russ Squadron -- Squadron consists of 3 models, then unit models may ignore Shaken/Stunned results on a roll of 4+ (still lose a HP)

Just like Eldar, Space Marines, Dark Angels, etc., I hope that Astra Militarum get access to bonuses for taking full Squadrons of vehicles.

Here are some ideas I had for AM Squadron Rules:

1 - Vendetta Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, gains Strafing Run rule

2 - Valkyrie Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then units disembarking via Grav-Chute Insertion do not scatter

3 - Hellhound/Devil Dog/Bane Wolf Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then unit gains Preferred Enemy USR

4 - Scout Sentinel Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then all models in unit add +3" to their normal move (for a net 9" movement)

5 - Armoured Sentinel Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then unit gains Tank Hunter and Monster Hunter USRs

6 - Basilisk Battery -- If Battery consists of 3 models, then enemy units must re-roll successful cover/Invul saves caused by this unit

7 - Wyvern Battery -- If Battery consists of 3 models, then all models in the unit gain the Rending USR

8 - Hydra Battery -- If Battery consists of 3 models, then unit gains the ability to shoot Snap Shots at BS2

9 - Leman Russ Squadron -- Squadron consists of 3 models, then unit models may ignore Shaken/Stunned results on a roll of 4+ (still lose a HP)

Erm...

1. Why? You have nine twinlinked BS3 lascannons shooting one thing...that's already overkill! BS4 adds...nothing!

2. WAY overpowered. Part of the insane overpricing of stormtroopers is that they get bonuses in this arena...giving an even bigger bonus to the birds themselves...you've removed even the tiniest reason to take stormtroopers over veterans!

3. Meh...preferred enemy is kind of crappy when your main weapons don't roll to hit...on the other hand, preferred enemy is stupid nasty when you are wounding on 2+...

4. Ok...but it doesn't make me more likely to take them. Feels like "well, we had to give them something." Maybe with 3 models, they get to choose which side they come in on when outflanking? That would be more attractive to me than additional movement.

5. I like this one...I wouldn't be more likely to go for lascannons, but I'd appreciate the buff to my multilasers and autocannons. Helps offset their terrible BS...

6. Might be overpowered on the rerolling of successful invuls, but rerolling cover is good.

7. Nope nope nope, they need a nerf, not a buff! biggrin.png

8. I love it...

9. Nice.

@march10k

Appreciate the feedback; responding to your comments:

1 - Actually, BS4 adds a decent bit to Vendettas... if you do the Mathhammer, shooting at a Tau Riptide for instance, 9 x TLed BS3 shots yields a net of about 3-4 unsaved wounds. Doing the same thing, but with BS4, gives you 4-5 unsaved wounds, meaning you can potentially kill the Riptide outright in a single volley. Do the same thing with an Eldar Nightspinner Squadron... BS3 yields about 4-5 stripped HPs, or 1 dead/1 damaged Nightspinners... with BS4, that goes up to 5-6 stripped HPs on average, potentially killing two whole vehicles (and greatly reducing the damage output of the squadron).

2 - I don't think no scatter Grav-Cute Insertion is any more over-powered than Falcon Grav Tanks being able to DS with no scatter. This just gives the Valkyries better utility as a transport, but you have to pay the "tax" of taking a squadron of 3 of them (and keeping them all alive, since you lose the rule if one of the Valks are destroyed)

3 - Agree with you, but I can't really think of a better rule for them... maybe give the squadron Scout USR if it has 3 vehicles?

4 - I see your point... what if Scout Sentinels gained Objective Secured instead, as long as they had a full squadron of 3 models?

5 - Glad you agree msn-wink.gif

6 - Agree with you, maybe just sticking to forcing re-rolls of Cover saves

7 - Probably right about needing a nerf, but they need something.... maybe they force units to take an additional -1Ld when taking a Morale Check for 25% casualties

8/9 - Looks like we think alike here, though per some other comments above, I think LR Squadrons might even up their Ignore Shaken/Stunned to a 2+ roll (vice 4+)

I don't think the scatter-free grav chute insertion thing is inherently overpowered, I just think it further kills the already questionable stormtroopers.

Scouting a vehicle that has a torrent flamer is pretty mean, maybe OP, but with the other two variants...not so OP, perhaps even "necessary?"  Hmmm...

OBSEC scout sentinels would be pretty cool...overall, sentinels are already incentivized to be fielded in squadrons, a singleton isn't ever going to do anything...so, like the wyvern, there's no real need to give a 3 hull buff, but if you're going to, yeah, that's a good choice for the scout sentinel.

Well considering all these rules are lost with the destruction of a single model, or s is the case with the sm squadrons when 2 vehicles leave an immobilized member behind, I think some of these could be boosted a hair more, sick as the Leman Russ squadrons ignore stunned shaken.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Might as well make this a full-blown AM wish list msn-wink.gif

Here it goes...

HQ

-Company Command Squad/Advisors -- No change

-Tank Commander -- No change

-Lord Commissar -- Gains "Supreme Voice of Discipline" which allows him to use "Get Back in the Fight" order twice a turn

-Commissar - Gains "Voice of Discipline" which allows him to use "Get Back in the Fight" order once a turn

-Ministorum Priest - War Hymns changed so that each Hymn can only be attempted by each priest one time per game

-Primaris Psyker - No change

-Enginseer/Servitors - "Awaken the Machine" changes so that it can be used on any friendly AM vehicle unit (i.e. not just limited to a single vehicle)

SPECIAL CHARACTERS

-Commissar Yarrick -- Cost reduced to 130 points

-Lord Castellan Creed -- Cost reduced to 70 points

-Colour Sergeant Kell -- Cost reduced to 50 points, allows units to test for Orders on Creed's Ld10 (vice Kell's Ld8)

-Colonel Straken -- Cost reduced to 100 points

-Nork Deddog -- Upgraded to 4W and FNP (4+), gains Furious Charge and Smash special rules (loses "Thunderous Head Butt" rule)

-Knight Commander Pask -- No change

TROOPS/DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

-Infantry Platoon (PCS/Infantry Squad/HWS/SWS/Conscripts) -- No change

-Veterans -- No change

-Sergeant Harker -- Grants his squad Infiltrate, Scout, and Shrouded, in addition to his other rules/Wargear

-Chimera -- Moved to Fast Attack slot

-Taurox -- Gains "Fast Vehicle" status, moved to Fast Attack slot

-Taurox Prime -- Moved to Fast Attack Slot

ELITES

-Ogryns -- Gain Furious Charge and FNP, reduced to 35 PPM

-Bullgryns -- Gain Furious Charge and FNP

-Ratlings -- Gain BS5 if they have not moved for the previous two Movement Phases

-Wyrdvane Psyker -- Start with 4 models and PML(1), can go up to a max of 12 models; for every additional 4 models in the squad, gain a PML (up to max of PML(3)); reduced to 10 PPM

-Militarum Tempestus Command Squad -- Have access to SWs and Pistols at reduced points cost (Flamers, GLs, and Snipers are free, MGs and HS Volley Guns are 5 points, and Plasma Guns/Plasma Pistols are 10 points). Can choose one of four doctrines before game begins for free:

***Airborne Doctrine (scatter only D6" when Deep Striking and can start rolling to come in from Reserve Turn 1)

***Covert Action Doctrine (gain Infiltrate and Stealth USRs)

***Priority Target Doctrine (gains re-rolls to Hit and to Wound against one enemy unit, selected after Scout moves are made, for the rest of the game)

***Close Quarters Battle Doctrine(Twin-links all shooting at targets 6" or less away)

-Militarum Tempestus Scions Squad -- Can choose one of four doctrines before game begins for free (See Above); SWs and Pistols reduced in price (See Above); can take 2 SWs for every 5 models in the squad.

FAST ATTACK

-Scout Sentinels -- If squadron has 3 models, gains Objective Secured; can benefit from Orders (tests on Ld8) and can move 9" a turn (vice normal 6")

-Armoured Sentinels -- If squadron has 3 models, gains Preferred Enemy for all of its shooting attacks; can benefit from Orders (tests on Ld8)

-Rough Riders -- Remove from Codex msn-wink.gif (just can't really justify them in terms of gameplay)

-Hellhound/Devil Dog/Bane Wolf Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, gains Scout USR

-Valkyrie Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then gains Shred USR for all of its Shooting attacks

-Vendetta Squadron -- If squadron has 3 models, then gains Tank Hunter/Monster Hunter USRs

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Leman Russ Squadron -- Gain ability to fire Ordnance weapons and still shoot other weapons at full BS; if squadron has 3 models, then ignores Shaken/Stunned results (still lose a HP from Penetrating Hits)

-Hydra Battery -- Cost reduced to 60 points per model; if battery has 3 models, then gains ability to fire Snap Shots at BS2

-Basilisk Battery -- If battery has 3 models, then enemy units must re-roll successful cover saves against shooting from this unit

-Wyvern Battery -- If battery has 3 models, then enemy suffers -2 Ld when taking a Morale Check due to shooting by this unit

-Manticore -- Cost reduced to 150 points per model

-Deathstrike -- Change Deathstrike Missile to 12"- Unlimited Range, S:D AP1, Ordnance 1, Massive Blast, Ignore Cover, Barrage, One Use Only

What I'd really love is for Straken to be an independent character instead of this whole command squad business. He would be beyond useful that way. As it is...I havn't ever run him and have no plans to do so.  

Anyway, to return to the main topic, my guess is that the boosts will be smaller then that. Guard already have the best vehicles, and my guess is that whatever main formation they get will massively increase that advantage. 

If by "luverly" you mean "completely evil" then yes tongue.png We are counting our eggs before they hatch though, or maybe before we even get the eggs... I'm still of the opinion that the codex is next year - probably mid-year at that. GW has never been particularly generous with Guard codices so while I hope for a chance to be top dog I'm expecting something lower down the "tiers". What I'd really like to see is a bit of a shake up, while our codex isn't bad in what it offers it isn't much different to our previous one.

Spoil sport.

I, however, am hoping for formations that give recycling squads ("Send in the next wave!") and multiple ways to drop D on suspecting xenos, because why else would you want an intercontinental ballistic missile in your army than to unless a nuclear apocalypse.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I just want some of the small apocalypse formations in whatever version of a decurion we get (Commissar + Platoon + Deathstrike giving vortex deathstrike would be a hoot.)

Archived