The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Having finished it, I definitely enjoyed it - and I think it sets the series up nicely.

I agree this as possibly a third setting. There are a few books set in the same broad milieu of post-heresy, post-scouring, young imperium. The 'age of rebirth' and the 'forging' using the rulebook timeline. M31 and M32, the Beast Arises series taking place around the middle of M32.

On the imperial side, Battle of the Fang is set in the same time in M32 and Flesh of Cretacia earlier in M31, closer to the Scouring.

On the chaos side, Khârn: Eater of Worlds looks to be earlier, sometime in M31, at the start of the Legion Wars in the Eye of Terror. Talon of Horus is set a bit after but still before the first Black Crusade in 781.M31. Ahriman: Unchanged appears to take place in this broad period of M31/M32 but the caveat of 'warp-time shenanigans' applies here more than most.

I echo this sentiment - it definitely felt different, and I liked the disconnect between the attitudes portrayed by those within it, that to me helped to shape it.

Very much liked the Chromes too - hope that isn't their last appearance. I quite liked the sparse description - and my mental image is something akin to a hybrid of a number of things. Appreciated the humour of the Magos and Slaughter's relationship too. 

Looking forward to the next one being released later this month!

I assumed that all the Fists on the planet are doomed and I don't think we'll be seeing Captain Slaughter again unless its his corpse. I think he was used to let us assume the book title referenced him only for us to find out at the end that the title was actually the war roar coming from the ork moon.

I liked it very much but I'm nervous for the series given how good Dan Abnett's writing is and he now passes the baton over to others.

I assumed that all the Fists on the planet are doomed and I don't think we'll be seeing Captain Slaughter again unless its his corpse. I think he was used to let us assume the book title referenced him only for us to find out at the end that the title was actually the war roar coming from the ork moon.

I really liked that - especially the Magos' dismissal... Felt like a nice bit of 'horror-esque' realisation writing.

I disagree though, I do think we'll see him again - and perhaps others (there's a nice hint as reference elsewhere within the thread!). Otherwise, they wouldn't've mentioned the 'still-active teleport homer' and that being handed to him either. 

In terms of the roster of writers too, I really don't think we'll be disappointed. Be interesting to see if the novels are all around the same length and style too.

I'm sort of hoping The Beast is defeated in books 8-10, and we get the Beheading afterwords. Maybe like "I am Slaughter", The Beast arising has a double meaning, referring both to The Beast himself and 'the beast' that the Imperium becomes?

Also Guy Haley is writing the final book, which is good news.

https://civilianreader.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/interview-with-guy-haley/

I'm sort of hoping The Beast is defeated in books 8-10, and we get the Beheading afterwords. Maybe like "I am Slaughter", The Beast arising has a double meaning, referring both to The Beast himself and 'the beast' that the Imperium becomes?

Also Guy Haley is writing the final book, which is good news.

https://civilianreader.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/interview-with-guy-haley/

Guy Haley writing the last book is not good news.

I'm only a few chapters in the second book, but I noticed something that explains the reconstitution of the imperial fists. This is a big spoiler and may spoil much more than something about this book alone - so be warned!:

The first space marine character we meet is Maximus Thane of the Fists Exemplar chapter. I knew I had heard that name before, though the Chapter is new to this book, as far as I know.

After a moment of thunking, it turns out - and this is totally awesome - that name "Maximus Thane" is one of the names scrimshawed on the skeletal hands of Rogal Dorn aboard the Phalanx, which is reserved for Chapter Masters of the Imperial Fists.

A rather neat narrative choice because this is from the Novel Space Marine by Ian Watson, the first 40k novel written (which happened to focus on the Imperial Fists). That would seem to support one of the possibilities I had listed out previously: that the imperial fists are reconstituted in part or in whole from successor chapters.

We'll see if the rest of the book elaborates on this. Stay tuned!

I'm only a few chapters in the second book, but I noticed something that explains the reconstitution of the imperial fists:

The first space marine character we meet is Maximus Thane of the Fists Exemplar chapter. I knew I had heard that name before. After a moment of thunking, it turns out - and this is totally awesome - that is one of be names scrimshawed on the skeletal hands of Rogal Dorn aboard the Phalanx, which is reserved for Chapter Masters. A rather neat narrative choice because that fact is from the Novel Space Marine by Ian Watson, the first 40k novel written (which happened to focus on the Imperial Fists). That would seem to support one of the possibilities I had listed out previously: that the imperial fists are reconstituted in part or in whole from successor chapters.

I had the same conclusion, even without knowing the name of that IF CM. Fists Exemplar second founding? never heard of them. And suddenly upon reading the end of the book it made sense.

Again cant stress enough, LOVED the Black Templar's, a nod to the old lore. They should keep it that way.

I am about to talk some heresy, so be gentle. The second book is better than the first. Much better.

Like I said before, maybe the first novel suffered from trying to do too much? Rob Sanders seemed like he knew exactly what he wanted to do with the book and did it well. All of the various characters were shown in interesting ways, and I felt like it was a great on the ground look at what this invasion was doing.

Just finished Predator, Prey. I make it to be about 55k words, which is about 8k than the first book. I think this is still fewer words than a typical BL novel, but I felt less cheated this time around, which was probably due to a combination of the extra c.20% words, expecting a shorter novel and the book covering a larger number of stories. I really enjoyed all of them.

The action switches between six locations:

Terra: more politicking between the High Lords with Vangorich as the viewpoint character.

Undine: an oceanic hive world under attack by the orks

Incus Maximal & Malleus Mundi: icy twin-forge worlds under attack by the orks

Eidolica: homeworld of the Fists Exemplar chapter under attack by the orks

Ardamantua: the orks have moved on and the Adeptus Mechanicus is studying what remains

Aspiria system: what remains of a planet destroyed by the orks

The general theme is ork attack moons popping up everywhere, causing devastation with gravity weapons and then invading what remains. The Imperium is too divided to mount a proper fightback and everything seems hopeless.

The Mechanicus is busy researching the ork technology to find a way of teleporting Mars to safety and withholding intelligence.. The head of the Imperial Navy is sabotaging the war effort to give himself more glory. The Inquisition is apparently trying to manipulate Imperial bodies into co-ordinating a proper response, but is also trying to increase its own power in the process and is withholding intelligence. Vangorich seems to have the Imperium's best interests at heart and is manipulating and blackmailing to that intent, but even he isn't playing ball with the others. In fact, his belief is that the organs of Imperial government should be distrustful and suspicious of each other and that was the Emperor's intention all along.

Interesting tidbits:

The Marines Exemplar are another Imperial Fists second founding chapter, formed from the most progressive members of the VII legion. Their original chapter master was one of the first to approve of the reorganisations of the Codex Astartes.

It was good to see Black Templars with a refreshingly tradition attitude to psykers.

A detested audience with one of the only psykerbreeds allowed on board the ship [the astropath]

As far as the Imperial Fists go, their sus-an membrane still works in this time period. Three were recovered from Ardamantua, but subsequently died after the impatient magos tried to revive them prematurely. Slaughter survived by teleporting onto a ship in orbit. His magos biologis buddy is also clinging to life.

set a limit on how many there will be so we at least know. 

so these will be the usual hiked price limited edition space fillers that i have come to expect from black library in the last couple of years?

He means that the series is limited to 12 books rather than each book being limited edition.

I'm only a few chapters in the second book, but I noticed something that explains the reconstitution of the imperial fists. This is a big spoiler and may spoil much more than something about this book alone - so be warned!:

The first space marine character we meet is Maximus Thane of the Fists Exemplar chapter. I knew I had heard that name before, though the Chapter is new to this book, as far as I know.

After a moment of thunking, it turns out - and this is totally awesome - that name "Maximus Thane" is one of be names scrimshawed on the skeletal hands of Rogal Dorn aboard the Phalanx, which is reserved for Chapter Masters of the Imperial Fists.

A rather neat narrative choice because this is from the Novel Space Marine by Ian Watson, the first 40k novel written (which happened to focus on the Imperial Fists). That would seem to support one of the possibilities I had listed out previously: that the imperial fists are reconstituted in part or in whole from successor chapters.

Just stumbled on this myself!

Just finished reading the first book in one sitting felt really short only took me 4 hours to read the whole thing anyone else got that or am I late to the party? . It was really fun though played out like a nicely set up action drama, we finally got some Terran politics ;D

Is the second book out Already? I thought it was 1 per month?

Also how can people argue that The Chromes arenott early Tyranid hive. They literally described Gaunts or "man sized, worker" and "Warrior Forms" a term always used for Tyranid warriors. They were clearly an early hive like the monsters on Fenris that degraded and reverted to basic instincts without the greater Hive Mind control.

A chitinous clawed bugs of human size or bigger doesn't literally scream Tyranids to you?

Just finished reading the first book in one sitting felt really short only took me 4 hours to read the whole thing anyone else got that or am I late to the party? . It was really fun though played out like a nicely set up action drama, we finally got some Terran politics ;D

Is the second book out Already? I thought it was 1 per month?

Also how can people argue that The Chromes arenott early Tyranid hive. They literally described Gaunts or "man sized, worker" and "Warrior Forms" a term always used for Tyranid warriors. They were clearly an early hive like the monsters on Fenris that degraded and reverted to basic instincts without the greater Hive Mind control.

A chitinous clawed bugs of human size or bigger doesn't literally scream Tyranids to you?

How can people say Eldar aren't just human.

Archived