IO - Armies of the Machine God

Demus Ragnok

I'd need to check but I don't think so

Edit: Ignatum doesn't. Ignis does(ignatum might be a form of ignis but I can'be arsed to check). So perhaps something like the "Aurora Ignis" or "Ignited dawn" for the Fire Keepers?

Edited by Sigismund229

Hey guys, how's my Paint-Fu?

med_gallery_49041_10668_35377.jpg

"What happened out there soldier? Who or, what, did... That, to your outpost?"

"G-Gojira... Gojira... Gojira..."

~Recorded Interrogation of lone Legio attack Survivor, recovered from the ruins of Xiliean Rebel Headquarters.

EDIT: Changed the image for a black-on-white version.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Regarding Gojira and so on.

If you don't mind, I would like to work on an allied Household as part of my Questoris Familia part. Not right away but as I want to use it for my chapter as well, I can hit two birds with one stone. (was that even correct? oO)

I would like to stick with the brainstorm I had a couple of days ago, naming it House Toho, etc.

Who wants to work on Gojira? I'm not familiar with the AdMech and all this kind of stuff. Therefore it would make sense that another guy works on it. Sangi? How about you? ;) You seem to enjoy the idea as much as I do.

First things first, what do you think of my brainstorm? Is it ok or shall we change something together?

I'm happy to just see where people take this, as I'm just writing bits and bobs in between work at the moment.

Though now I think about it, with Alex securing Mars what happens with the Schism?

Edited by bluntblade

No schism? Those who want to side with icarion flee or were banned by the majority of imperial loyal forces and they join forces with other icarion forge worlds? And their goal is to reclaim Mars? To show, that martiams habe fallen from faith and follow the wrong path?

Oft course some stay behind and play the game to give information out and to smuggle technoknowledge to icarions Dorfes. Findung those double agents Gould be a great story line in it self

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I'm happy to just see where people take this, as I'm just writing bits and bobs in between work at the moment.

Though now I think about it, with Alex securing Mars what happens with the Schism?

The Schism still happens, it's just that the Dark Mechanicum don't get to enjoy ownership of Mars. So, at most, they're down a few relics and no Martian forces for the traitors to use during the Siege of Terra. 

EDIT: In all honesty, the biggest impact is going to be on the Loyalist side, post-Insurrection, since Zeth, Magma City, and her allies survive to rebuild the Mechanicum. Given her unorthodox beliefs, there might be a second, bloodless schism after the Insurrection between Mechanicum purists (who will probably join the Suzerainty) and the new wave represented by Zeth, the Fabricator Lieutenant, and that third guy, whose name escapes me. 

Edited by simison

Abyssii? I lost her name to. By the way. What happened to talonair?

After we decided to reserve the non-legion forces into their own supplement, he kinda disappeared.

Ohhh, sad to hear. But remain the abyssii? Or. Do we create a stand in? Cuz Morro and Gwal had some connection which results in the end in an attempt of morro attacking russ and losing one arm to Gwal. That arc all stsrted with the abyssii. But we never managed to write the stsrt cuz talonair dissappeared.

As far as I'm concerned, the Abyssii is still a part of the project, but my focus will remain on the legions. If anyone not currently involved in the book wants to develop them further, be my guest.

Regarding Gojira and so on.

If you don't mind, I would like to work on an allied Household as part of my Questoris Familia part. Not right away but as I want to use it for my chapter as well, I can hit two birds with one stone. (was that even correct? oO)

I would like to stick with the brainstorm I had a couple of days ago, naming it House Toho, etc.

Who wants to work on Gojira? I'm not familiar with the AdMech and all this kind of stuff. Therefore it would make sense that another guy works on it. Sangi? How about you? :wink: You seem to enjoy the idea as much as I do.

First things first, what do you think of my brainstorm? Is it ok or shall we change something together?

To be honest I'm not overly familiar with AdMech stuff and their lore either, I haven't ever really read in-depth on them, the Knight Households in paticular given how "new" they are as a faction IRL. I'd love to write some stuff up for Legio Gojira if I'm able (I'm supposed to be finishing up another story for the Liber Cluster thread) and the setting you've come up with seems solid to me aside from one or two things, like maybe we should simplify "Tan'ya-ba" just to "Tanyaba" just for ease of writing.

Also, I think the cities should probably be built on the few minuscule islands on the planet rather than free-floating, otherwise I don't know how the Titans would deploy to fight the Kaiju without dropping several hundred/thousand/whatever metres to the seafloor which I could see damaging them (unfortunately even with their modifications we must remember these are still 40k Titans, not Pacific Rim Jaegers, they aren't as articulate or graceful and probably couldn't take the drop) plus how would they get back aboard the city afterwards? I don't think a few propellers and ballast tanks are gonna float a Warlord like Rex Monstra back up to the surface, you know? 

EDIT: By the way guys, with the warm reception of my Legio Gojira symbol I've whipped up a few new Titan Legio emblems if you're interested, including one for the Abyssii one, Legio Carnifex, and a mock-up of a potential Legio Telesto emblem for Athrawes if he likes it.

Legio Carnifex

Legio Telesto

Legio "Stag"

Legio "Torch"

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Jep, sounds legit, thanks. :) You're right that's too much Pacific Rim. Will revise it.

As we don't need to work on them right away, let's see what will happen. ;)

We're going more for imagery than for functional likeness. I need to load up the Kindle with HH books (does anyone know if you can access Black Library directly with a Kindle?) and see how they treat Titan-on-Titan combat for later in the Insurrection.

• 2 weeks later...

So one of the pieces I was writing touched on the Auretian Technocracy and the potential for tension between them and the Mechanicus. Sim and I discussed it, and here's what we have so far:

-Thanks to an exemplary battle we have a happily compliant Technocracy with a pronounced friendship with the Iron Bears

-However, Alexandros was very aware that simply allowing them to start designing and making tech for the Crusade, especially the Astartes, risks annoying the Mechanicus

-His solution is to facilitate relations between certain more open-minded parts of the Mechanicus, either Zeth or Mortera

-The result is various Mechanicus factions working to expand their spheres of influence across the Forge Worlds, not just the politicking of Mars

Any thoughts, folks?

• 2 weeks later...

Groping around for something that Alexandros and Daer'dd could disagree over in a civil manner, and it occurred to me that the willing Compliance of the Auretian Technocracy could have some complicating factors. They're a society that prizes autonomy and, although they share some beliefs with the Mechanicus and are quite willing to do their bit for the betterment of Mankind, don't follow the Omnissiah. Therefore, if they muck in with the Imperium in terms of production then that means some serious tensions.

So, the solution Alex proposes is for channels of communication to be opened up between the Technocracy and certain more open-minded segments of the Mechanicus (Sim suggests Zeth and co).

Any thoughts?

Here's my draft idea for how the changes would play out, in remembrancer form:

+++++

The roots of the Schism can be traced back to the closing decades of the 30th Millennium and two events in particular, which introduced elements which became focal points for the divide. Their emergence caused ripples which continue to this day, profoundly influencing the shape of the two Mechanici and the wider Galaxy.

The first of these was the return of the Eagle Warriors to the Great Crusade. The sons of Alexos divided opinion within the Mechanicus as they did throughout the Imperium. Some elements, especially those associated with the Crimson Lions, refused to have anything to do with them. However, Alexos forged a strong alliance with the Fabricator General, Kelbor-Hal. A scientifically-minded man, even if many of his brothers did not recognise it, Alexos displayed a great regard for the Mechanicus and treated Kelbor-Hal as a peer, whereas some other primarchs saw him as a mere subordinate.

The Eagle Warriors’ close relationship with the Mechanicus was exemplified by one Legionary who rose to prominence over the following years. Xander Travier, the Primarch's adopted brother, had long raised eyebrows as he chose the path of a Techmarine over that of an officer. Now his ascent was swift, as he became a leading force within the nascent Cognis sect. Under his supervision the Legion's mechanised elements expanded to rival those of the Iron Bears. Many oberservers noted that these war machines bore all the hallmarks of the Mechanicus, in contrast with the Bears’ cheerful indifference to the conventions of Mars.

Cognis became integral to the Eagles’ gene-manipulation experiments, and grew in influence as The Drowned and the Warbringers accelerated their work. The Vizhenko Prosecution put an end to open experimentation on this subject, with the sect’s focus shifting back to mechanised warfare to avoid censure. However, the episode helped to drive a further wedge between the Fabricator General and Terra, as Kelbor-Hal perceived the episode as the denial of scientific enquiry.

Over the following years Xander quietly established havens for his allies in the Ghoul Stars. Here, far from prying eyes, they continued much of their work, and began to venture beyond the other restrictions placed upon the Mechanicus.

-----

The second major change was the integration of the Auretian Technocracy into the Imperium. The Auretians had built much of their society around technology, but lacked the religious aspects that defined the Mechanicus. Ordinarily this would have led to the Technocracy being made to surrender its STCs for study by the Magos. However, the Technocracy was found by the Shepherds of Eden, fighting against a brutal Ork invasion. Its soldiers won immense respect from both the Shepherds and the Iron Bears, who lifted the siege on Aureus itself.

The Technocracy offered to share their expertise with the Imperium, but balked at the prospect of ceding their autonomy to Mars. Daer'dd supported their offer, but the newly invested Warmaster feared that the Fabricator General would take it as a slight. As a compromise, Alexandros facilitated a meeting between the Auretian leadership and some more open-minded factions of the Mechanicus, headed up by Koriel Zeth of Magma City and Archmagos Mortera of Nox.

Working together with Zeth and Mortera, the Technocracy became a major force in manufacturing for the Great Crusade. Foremost among the fruits of their collaboration was the Barzel-pattern bolter, which was small enough to be wielded by an ordinary human soldier. However, despite the Warmaster’s best efforts, the move caused serious tensions within the Mechanicus, as Kelbor-Hal regarded it as a veiled threat to his authority. These fears would be exploited by Alexos Travier and later Icarion, setting the Fabricator General on the road to betrayal.

Myrddin Aethor, The Inheritance of Mars

+++++

I also realised there's a Legio Astorum. Defunct by the time of the Heresy in canonverse, but an option for ours.

Edited by bluntblade