IO - Armies of the Machine God

Demus Ragnok

What about moving the Battle of the Forge to Ryza from Ilycrax(sp?) Feels like it would be more worth risking the remains of a legion, and forces from the defense of Terra; location still makes a ton of sense, and it's importance would be worth a several year campaign and Terran defenders (HW)

I'm okay with this change so long as the original authors of the Forge are happy with this (I think it was Thorn & Sig?)

Also, more work on Contego.

Title: The Legio Contego Ordo Titanica

Patent: Pre-Unification, Huyins Explorator Fleet

Warden Domains: Eskut

Allied War Houses: House Zivich

Cognomen: [Defenders of Order?]

Allegiance: Fidelitas Constantus

Precise and reliable, the Legio Contego have maintained their vigil against the Greenskin since the first days of Forge World Eskut's founding. Neither numerous nor few, Contego have, much like their parent Forge World, have learned to measure their strength exactly as they have defended their holdings. In the era of the Imperium, they have often served with the Halcyon Wardens and are more than happy to offer their services against the chaotic Orks for whom they have a special hatred for. 

Edited by simison

More ideas for Contego:

• Emphasis on anti-Infantry weapons given their main opponent for thousands of years were the Orks.
  • Preference for rotating weapons, such as the vulcan mega-bolter. Subtle clock reference. 
  • Distatste for CC, seen as too 'Ork-like'
  • Skilled at timely manuevers

• 2 weeks later...

They ought to go in the campaign for Mars, then.

I've decided to set up the reconquered Locria as fanatically loyal to Kelbor Hal. The original heretek rulers fall in 006. M31, so I'm wondering they should be somewhere between Angehs and Quai Jin.

They ought to go in the campaign for Mars, then.

I've decided to set up the reconquered Locria as fanatically loyal to Kelbor Hal. The original heretek rulers fall in 006. M31, so I'm wondering they should be somewhere between Angehs and Quai Jin.

As in a brief appearance or what? And who are the Locria?

Brief appearances. Locria is a rogue Forge World from an early story

Sure. We can easily have a Maniple of Contego on hand.

What segmentum would that place Locria?

This is the origin or brief bio stuff for the Legio Reventus.

---------------------------------------------

The mysteries surround the Legio Reventus fog the truth of this titan legion. Raised from the pristine and yet deserted Forge World of Corvan, the Legion Reventus was raised from a world where there was no life found, but yet signs of civilization and industry was clearly there. The crusading force that found them was House Vingilot, a equally mysterious knight house, found no sign of any Mechanicum officials or life in general. It took weeks of scouting and investigating tombs, empty cities, and the derelict forges itself that a decision was finally made. This decision  was to call on their  Mechanicum master from the Forge World of Scanad to bring new life to the Forge World. It was with these new masters that the Legio Reventus was birthed. Their birth bring the mysterious as they themselves would suffer from unusually phenomena. One of which is the reported sighting of a Reaver Titian moving by themselves without the need of any crew and another incident of sights of ghostly aberrations in a Warhound Titan. Such stories gave the cognomen of The Hunted. But such rumors and hearsays were easily disproven by investigators or the crew themselves, but yet such stories continue to be reported. Along with House Vingilot, the Legio Reventus would join the Legions that would later become the Suzerainty. For Legio Reventus would accompany the Warriors of Peace in the Great Crusade fighting alongside them in many battles and wars.

------------------------------------------------

I have questions about how many and what type of titans should Reventus have? 

Edited by ShadowSwordmaster

Firstly, there were a couple of ideas PM'ed between me and Blunt back when the Legion was first conceived:

I only know the basics of the False Primarch war, but what if the Silent Witnesses join him early on, then initiate a mass migration to their home forge for their own (undecided) reasons. They participate just enough to cover their actions without them being inteferred with, then leave the Genesis Legion in the lurch."

"Maybe some part of it could be an eerie silence/stillness. The 'ghosts' of other titan princeps and knight scions growing subdued and quiet in proximity them.

"We do not use anaesthesia,captain. You question our sanity for it? There is the silence and there is agony. The silence dulls the agony. The agony screams its definition into the silence. Without one we are crippled. Without the other we are nothing at all.""

Another possibility as that this starts occurring during the Insurrection and grows gradually more noticeable, but then subsides once the Scouring begins and lies dormant until its final manifestation.

"When your words in the halls of Corvan ring hollow, and the silence there steals over your soul, ready your weapons and armies and fleets, for strife rides in upon the morrow."

Silent Witnesses was the original name of the Legio, although the Hunted could be a more informal cognomen.

The stronger the Titan the more pronounced the effect should be, especially if the Princeps feel 'hunted' within their own minds. As such they rpobably start off wanti g to be in smaller/weaker spirited Titans, then move on to larger ones as they later embrace these traits.

Lastly, I was kind of hoping that we could have a Legion that isn't directly tied to any of the main factions, especially since the Warriors of Peace already have an allied Forge World and therefore probably an allied Legion.

Edited by Beren

That's as far as we got really, so from here on out you'te free to make things up.

As for the allegiance, I think it's best that Corvan aligns with the Suzerainty bexause of its own agenda rather than any particular loyalty.

I was hoping to use them on the Eastern Fringe as loose allies to the SL, so Insurrectionists of convenience and then Suzerains (and the focal point of a future catastrophe for them).

Scanad are a pretty bellicose lot, so I'd say Reavers and Warlords for the most part, but a surprising number of Imperators due to the pristine state of the world's industrial setup.

Here is the update version of the bio/intro stuff for the Legio Reventus.

--------------------------------------

The mysteries surround the Legio Reventus fog the truth of this titan legion. Raised from the pristine and yet deserted Forge World of Corvan, the Legion Reventus was raised from a world where there was no life found, but signs of civilization and industry was clearly there. The crusading force that found them was House Vingilot, an equally mysterious knight house, found no sign of any Mechanicum officials or life in general. It took weeks of scouting and investigating tombs, empty cities, and the derelict forges itself that a decision was finally made. This decision was to call on their Mechanicum master from the Forge World of Scanad to bring new life to the Forge World. When the Mechanicum arrived on the forge world, they found a vault that appeared to be locked and sealed by unknown wardens, presumable the former habitants. It took many weeks before they finally opened the vault and wasted resources to open the doors by using menial labors from Scanad to push the gates open. The doors themselves were covered in skulls of metal and bones. Some wonder if these were the former master themselves that were used as some primitive warding from superstitious people for some unenlightened reasons. While others took it as warning of something dreadful. What was inside the vault itself was a boon for the Great Crusade. Inside was a legion worth of titans. All of which were pristine and in ranks as if they were ready for someone to take them. The total number of titans found in the vault was around 150. What surprised the Imperium even more was the stockpile of ammunition that was enough for a couple of engagements. It took months of findings crews to occupy a quarter of the total number of titans, while others were waiting in the vault.

Originally, they were known as the Silent Witness before given the new name of the Legio Reventus. The name itself was a reference to these titans as a witness to what had happen to the original inhabitants.  As time went on, strange reports started to appear from the Imperial forces that were accompanying these titans. One of which is the reported sighting of a Reaver Titian known as the Grey Herald moving by themselves without the need of any crew and another incident of sights of ghostly aberrations in the Warlord Titan Hallowed Reaper. Such stories gave them cognomen of The Haunted. Even the princeps themselves started to feel strong presences in their own minds. These were known as The Haunting and became a rite of passage for princeps for would pilot these titans. But such rumors and hearsays were disproven by investigators. The crew themselves did not say much about these incidents, but yet such stories continue to be reported. Despite these rumors and superstitions talk of ghostly beings, Legio Reventus provided the necessary support in many campaigns during the Great Crusade and their betrayal brought much anger and worrying what they could become with dark sorceresses that filled the ranks of the Insurrectionist.

---------------------------------------------------

Comments or thoughts?

Is there a storage bay large enough to house 150 titans? 

How did The Haunting become a rite of passage? 

Sorceresses? As in, female sorcerors? When and how did they enter the picture?

Could I have the meta-explanation of what's going on? 

Overall a solid foundation to build up Reventus.

I'd suggest a whole heap of vaults across the world, where the Titans sit.

I'd always picture the Legio as an offshoot from Scanad's Legio Excoriator, but I suppose they could find a large number of Titans.

References to sorceries ought to be minimal this early in the Insurrection, is one other thing I'd say.

Edited by bluntblade

I was a bit iffy about that line about dark magics so I threw it in there to see if I need to take it out or not. For the metaplot, I wanted write about how the Legio Reventus had some sort of cruse and the strange door with the skulls of metal and bone as supposed act as a ward. I was thinking of how some of the titans might be more demonic or twisted by the warp a lot faster due to the presences of the dark magic/warp user in Insurrectionist. 

I think what I wanted to say with "sorceries" not was one single person, but the general concept of dark magic. I will take it out.

EDIT: I guess I wanted to play up the cursed part of the legion.

While everything here is solid, just a few further clarifications to what I said earlier (sorry, I just realised that the first of the quoted sections was unclear).

.Reventus actually survives the Insurection, and whatever's happening to it subsides after the Scouring. They then join with the Genesis Legion during the suzerainty's War of the False Primarch before returning to their homeworld and undergoing some kind of ritual(this is what the first quoted sentence is refering to).

.The stuff on Corvan, while potentialy warp related, isn't full on chaotic. More along the lines of the prohibition zones or the Tyrant Star.

Your intro actually fits within this just fine, so sorry if this seems a bit like backseat driving.