Night Lords 3000 - Swishy Swooshy, we comin' for that Tushy

Brother Heinrich

So this Veteran Squad business feels like the one odd ball in the list. Thinking on that I realized the Terminator squads already meet my troop requirement under Pride of the Legion. Thus I decided to come at this from a different angle. Thoughts?

RoW: Pride of the Legion

HQ:
• Praetor - Jetbike, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Digital Lasers, Trophies of Judgement, Paragon Blade - 220pts

Elites:
• Contemptor Dreadnought - Kheres AC, Chainfist, Drop Pod - 265pts
• 10x Terror Marines - Sgt w/Chainglaive, Artificer Armor & Melta Bombs, 10x Volkite Chargers - 275pts
• 10x Terror Marines - Sgt w/Chainglaive, Artificer Armor & Melta Bombs, 10x Volkite Chargers - 275pts

Troops:
• 5x Legion Terminators - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Combi-Weapon, 4x Combi-Weapons, 4x Powerfists, Anvillus Dreadclaw - 330pts
• 5x Legion Terminators - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Combi-Weapon, 4x Combi-Weapons, 4x Powerfists, Anvillus Dreadclaw - 330pts

Fast Attack:
• 6x Scimitar Jetbikes - Squad Melta Bombs - 270pts
• 10x Night Raptors - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Artificer Armor, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws - 310pts

Heavy Support:
• Deathstorm Drop Pod - DP Assault, Krak Launchers - 145pts

Lord of War:
• Konrad Curze, Primarch of the VIII Legion - 435pts

TOTAL: 3,000pts

So that's 20x Terror Marines on their doorstep turn 1, Curze and the Raptors, Jetbikes and Hashec all arriving shortly thereafter. The Deathstorms and Contemptor will hopefully bust open transports or kill pie-plate makers to help the Terror Squads along. The Terminators show up turn 2 onwards and make more dead things. Thoughts?

If you're gonna run that many terror squads, you're getting really close to just downright running Terror Assault tongue.png It'd be pretty easy to drop the deathstorms for an extra terror squad in a pod or something. The benefits from the RoW are great, and other than dropping to 1 HS slot you'd still have most all of the same units except the terror squads in elites and terminators in troops would switch places. The 3rd terror squad would give you more scoring unit flexibility too.

I'm not sold on the jetbiking Praetor either. He's a bad-ass beatstick that wants to be in close combat, but regular jetbike squads don't lend themselves to melee very well (unless they spot something to melta bomb). You could make them a jetbike Legion command squad, although they're pricey and you lose the option to swap every 3rd heavy bolter for choom.

edit: another reason to ditch PotL; in the above list, if you lose all 10 terminators you give up a VP. No bueno!

I like it. But would worry about just having 10 guys and curze starting on the board (maybe jetbikes too although not sure if you are deep striking)

Jetbikes I hear generally work better smaller numbers and 7 is a large footprint. You won't get all of them hidden behind cover.

As for relying on a single chainfisrpt dread to pop transports, it won't happen. At 3000 pts expect to see multiple Spartans. Your terror squads won't be able to get at the goodies inside until they are destroyed and so I would put more chainfists on your termies and have one of them down in wave one. Just be careful of interceptors and heavy firepower on the anvilus as it is a bit squishy

I have been toying and playing with orbital assault for my world eaters and find that is the main issue, I have a lot if stuff come down early but not everything can do what it needs due to av14 guarding it all. You need nut crackers in the form of melta bombs, chainfists or grav or a strong HS back up

Just my thoughts, I don't run NL so might be total garbage!

If you're gonna run that many terror squads, you're getting really close to just downright running Terror Assault tongue.png It'd be pretty easy to drop the deathstorms for an extra terror squad in a pod or something. The benefits from the RoW are great, and other than dropping to 1 HS slot you'd still have most all of the same units except the terror squads in elites and terminators in troops would switch places. The 3rd terror squad would give you more scoring unit flexibility too.

I'm not sold on the jetbiking Praetor either. He's a bad-ass beatstick that wants to be in close combat, but regular jetbike squads don't lend themselves to melee very well (unless they spot something to melta bomb). You could make them a jetbike Legion command squad, although they're pricey and you lose the option to swap every 3rd heavy bolter for choom.

edit: another reason to ditch PotL; in the above list, if you lose all 10 terminators you give up a VP. No bueno!

I like it. But would worry about just having 10 guys and curze starting on the board (maybe jetbikes too although not sure if you are deep striking)

Jetbikes I hear generally work better smaller numbers and 7 is a large footprint. You won't get all of them hidden behind cover.

As for relying on a single chainfisrpt dread to pop transports, it won't happen. At 3000 pts expect to see multiple Spartans. Your terror squads won't be able to get at the goodies inside until they are destroyed and so I would put more chainfists on your termies and have one of them down in wave one. Just be careful of interceptors and heavy firepower on the anvilus as it is a bit squishy

I have been toying and playing with orbital assault for my world eaters and find that is the main issue, I have a lot if stuff come down early but not everything can do what it needs due to av14 guarding it all. You need nut crackers in the form of melta bombs, chainfists or grav or a strong HS back up

What if I swapped the Deathstorm pods for Sicaran Venators? I can drop the numbers on the jetbikes as well so it looks like this:

RoW: Pride of the Legion
HQ:
• Praetor - Jetbike, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Digital Lasers, Trophies of Judgement, Paragon Blade - 220pts
Elites:
• Contemptor Dreadnought - Kheres AC, Chainfist, Drop Pod - 265pts
Troops:
Fast Attack:
• 4x Scimitar Jetbikes - Squad Melta Bombs - 190pts
• 9x Night Raptors - Sgt w/Chainglaive, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws - 280pts
Heavy Support:
• Sicaran Venator - Auxiliary Drive - 200pts
• Sicaran Venator - Auxiliary Drive - 200pts
Lord of War:
TOTAL: 3,000pts
So the tactical breakdown is this:

1) Curze and the Raptors deploy in cover somewhere.

2) Hashec and the Jetbikes deploy behind cover as well (turbo boost will get them going where they need to be.

3) Venators delpoy with solid lines of sight (ideally, though fast vehicle allows for easy repositioning)

4) Terror Squads infiltrate
5) Turn 1 sees the Terminator Squads drop in with combi-meltas to crack transports
6) Only the contemptor is held in reserve and arrives sometime after the whole :cuss storm is in full swing.

I'd tool up one termie squad with chain fists as with armoured ceremite about, melta isn't that good.

I'd also tool the dread up with 2 ccw, one is a chain fist, and both with grav. Get him and the 2 termie units dropping in first so they can assault turn 2 and have the terror squads as clean up crews/objective scorers. Just bare in mind that the anvilus does not have the guidance system so can mishap. Placement is key

I run a venator and really do not like it. Sure against super heavys it can lock them down and 2 would make it a more survivable tactic but don't expect to one shot a spartan often. Against flair shields you still need a 6 to pen (admittedly you have 2 chances pers shot with ordinance though)

I say the list looks fun so go for it. If it was me, I would probably drop all the bikes and add in another grav combat dread and a preator to a vet squad in a pod with melta bombs

2 venator should be a good laugh!

I'd tool up one termie squad with chain fists as with armoured ceremite about, melta isn't that good.

I'd also tool the dread up with 2 ccw, one is a chain fist, and both with grav. Get him and the 2 termie units dropping in first so they can assault turn 2 and have the terror squads as clean up crews/objective scorers. Just bare in mind that the anvilus does not have the guidance system so can mishap. Placement is key

I run a venator and really do not like it. Sure against super heavys it can lock them down and 2 would make it a more survivable tactic but don't expect to one shot a spartan often. Against flair shields you still need a 6 to pen (admittedly you have 2 chances pers shot with ordinance though)

I say the list looks fun so go for it. If it was me, I would probably drop all the bikes and add in another grav combat dread and a preator to a vet squad in a pod with melta bombs

2 venator should be a good laugh!

Well that'll definitely be cheaper than the two venators. So you're saying for the contemptors to take double fists and 2x grav blasters?

Yeah I reckon. Grav gives you haywire against vehicles so 2-5 is a glance, 6 a pen. They can stay in the pods the turn they arrive too so are pretty protected and can fire. Advancing out afterwards to destroy in combat. Also the grav creates dangerous and difficult terrain so can slow or even immobilise. I'm toying with running 2 at 3000 points myself so be interested to know how you get on.

If you are facing someone light on armour, combat dreads are still pretty lethal and can old up and take on blob squads too.

Yeah I reckon. Grav gives you haywire against vehicles so 2-5 is a glance, 6 a pen. They can stay in the pods the turn they arrive too so are pretty protected and can fire. Advancing out afterwards to destroy in combat. Also the grav creates dangerous and difficult terrain so can slow or even immobilise. I'm toying with running 2 at 3000 points myself so be interested to know how you get on.

If you are facing someone light on armour, combat dreads are still pretty lethal and can old up and take on blob squads too.

Yeah and they just got an attack buff as well, 5 attacks at str10 on the charge aint too bad.

Ooooookay. lets see if this rubs you guys the right way:

RoW: Terror Assault

HQ:
• Praetor - Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Digital Lasers, Trophies of Judgement, Paragon Blade - 195pts

Troops:
• 9x Terror Marines - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Melta Bombs, 8x Volkite Chargers - 240pts
• 9x Terror Marines - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Melta Bombs, 8x Volkite Chargers - 240pts

Elites:
• Contemptor Dreadnought - Chainfist, 2x Gravition Guns, Drop Pod - 280pts
• Contemptor Dreadnought - Chainfist, 2x Gravition Guns, Drop Pod - 280pts

Fast Attack:
• 9x Night Raptors - Sgt w/Chainglaive & Melta Bombs, 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws - 285pts

Heavy Support:

Lord of War:

Total: 3000pts

So with this list Konrad goes with one of the Terror Squads so he's right up front from turn one (alternatively I could put the Praetor here and Konrad in the Raptors if you guys don't like that.) The Contemptors and the Deathstorm come in on turn 1 for havoc and vehicle killing. The Terminators stay in reserve and arrive with combi-plasma and powerfists to kill whatever comes out of the inevitable spartans/etc.

Thoughts? 

Archived