game board (trench) and storage questions

Fugazi

I have compiled a pile of material for a game board I want to make using a set of the FW trench pieces I got secondhand. I'm planning to set the trench inside 3 layers of foam insulation sheets. It will ultimately be a 4x6 board divided into tile sections. There's one thing that's stopping me from starting this project: storage. The best I can do is stack this thing under a table.

Couple of questions:

1. Will the foam insulation hold up? Or should I cut wood trim that would surround each segment? i.e., if I make 6 2x2 tiles, I would cut the foam slightly smaller to fit inside, essentially, a 2x2 frame of wood. The idea being that the wood 'frame' will be more resilient to inevitable dings and dents.

2. I guess I probably will have to gloss varnish it with a layer of matt varnish. Will that be enough to protect the tiles for storage? If I stack them gently on top of each other, will that work? Or do I need a better solution? I thought about maybe plastic storage tubs with cloth between the tiles?

I have never owned a game board before, and trying to sort out how to store this future project is preventing me from even starting it. Any tips and advice are appreciated.

edit: typos

• 2 weeks later...
If the pieces have a fairly flat top having some for. Of cushioning material between the stacked layers will be enough. Say some 5mm foam board sheets. If the surface is irregular then some form of stacking system helps. This can be something like a set of shelves just a bit higher then the tiles are thick. If you have a solid base to the board sections like mdf or other board material then just having runners for the tiles to slot into works.

• 1 year later...

Click to go to a different website

About half way down the page is a trench board I have been considering for the better part of 9 years... I personally like 2x4 sections because they look a lot "cleaner" then a bunch of 1x1 or 2x2 squares.

For durability, you could glue a sheet of cardboard/foam core board to the under side of the section to add more rigidity in a addition to making a buffer for when you stack them on top of one another (assuming you go with a fairly flat design)

For your concept of the wood edging, I don't really see it working personally. Each of your 2x2 squares has just tripled in weight. You would also have to plane each section of wood so that they fit together and pray you don't have a lot of humidity... Which could cause the pieces to fit poorly or not at all.

I would, again personally, build a folding table that has a good edge (like a 2x4 mostly because they are cheap!) that the top edge is higher then the board pieces. This prevents people from leaning on the pieces and crushing the edges...

If you would like some designs that have been floating around my head for a table, feel free to send me a PM!

Edit: I just noticed the line about the FW plates (coffee has not kicked in yet...) just the table edge should work due to the pieces being resin and fairly rigid as is. So assuming you have all/enough of the pieces it should be as simple as making a table that fits your needs!

Archived