Thanks guys.

Eldrick it's the current GW one's without the base colour and using the dry for the pink on the wins and the edge paint that's the same tone on the chest.

I also use the old tall hexagonal pot of purple wash in two layers. One watered down all over and one more controlled one neat.

I'll grab the name's in a bit when I get my paints down to continue on the sword.

Thanks. I've been working one his sword arm today and will get some pics up tomorrow once it's attached.

As for the chosen I guess I got carried away with the combi weapons in 8th. They have done quite well taking advantage of the BL trait to advance and shoot plasma. With rerole ones from the mace lord they kick out a lot of pain. In theory they are just acting as glorified havocs but as an elite choice I can use them alongside the terminators for the vanguard detatchment.

Nice fluff wise as a body guard unit too.

So yesterday morning was spent experimenting with Orange and Black untill I was happy. Inspire by the 'Eavy Metal Fateweaver and since I have orange already on the model it seemed like a good way to do magic weapons. I've also never done the Light/Dark cross hatch often used on magic or power weapons so the black -Orange/yellow looked like a good plan on the sword as well.

med_gallery_88567_13975_54595.png

After some trial and error I had narrowed down how to do the dark side. Having played with ways to darken Orange by mixing it I decided it wasn't working as tone and shade was doing odd things. However due the the brighter orange browns worked perfectly so Bestial Brown and Scorched brown privided the mid tones from the black.

After that it was done it was just a matter of highlighting the brighter side and adding the finishing touches with gold and the gems. next up was sorting the hand and hilt out before sticking them back together ready to tidy up and fully finish the Blade.

med_gallery_88567_13975_169103.png

The blade has now been stuck onto the model and is looking good. This just leaves me with 4 bits left so might just manage to do it for the competition. Just depends on how much time I get over the weekend to put into it.
I'll do the head next and get some pictures of the whole thing soon as it's done.

That blade looks amazing! I get it works really well with the model! 

thank you. I'm very happy with the attached blade but want to hold back on pictures of the whole model until he's done. I think the balance of the staff and sword with similar colours would be best shared together. 

Dude, that Lord of Change is looking awesome!

Dragonlover

Glad you like it. I'll have to bring it round to the shop at some point, sadly the shop move means you're a little out of the way for regular visits but I'm sure I can arrange to drop in.

That base is awesome and seeing the partial LoC on it is mouth watering! You are hitting aces with that project!

Also, the chosen are awesome. I am building up some marines and I am trying to think how I will do some slightly warped marines and advancing to those showing full on corruption. So... I am going to steal some ideas from ya...

That is some truly lovely painting on the sword! Like something straight out of an oriental myth, which seems like a great fit for Tzeentch, arguably :smile.:

Really nice colours along the blade.

The orange cross hatch on the blade is looking good. I’m sure it will tie into elements already on the piece brilliantly.

Stray

Thank you all. I'm building up to try and replicate the effect on the staff.

That base is awesome and seeing the partial LoC on it is mouth watering! You are hitting aces with that project!

Also, the chosen are awesome. I am building up some marines and I am trying to think how I will do some slightly warped marines and advancing to those showing full on corruption. So... I am going to steal some ideas from ya...

Well hopefully something to keep you drooling coming up.

As for the chosen steal away it's seeing all of KrautScientist's excellent conversions that gave me the push into finally sorting out a unit. I'll have to have a think about a melee based unit at some point once I have some transports to get them across the table.

I started this morning with the head looking a little like this.

med_gallery_88567_13975_319478.png

Despite the results I'm getting that I'm very proud of you can see I'm not the neatest of painters. Hopefully seeing the messy WIP part of my painting will encourage people who look at painted models on here and in white dwarf (not just mine). Instead of thinking I could never do that I hope you can see the yes you can paint and you can achieve great results with a bit of patience. I'm chuffed to bits and that extra time and effort with a tiny brush is really paying off because just before Tea the head looked like this.

med_gallery_88567_13975_564901.png

And has now been glued into place.

I have three bits left now, one dagger on a belt strap, one pouch of icky bits and the staff hand.

Fingers crossed I can get it all finished by the end of the month.

Great work mech! And great inspirational talk. I think a lot of people (inc. Myself at times) get disheartened with how messy a model can look mid paint. Thats what i love about forums like this, you get to see the whole process with peoples wips and not just the finished article

I think my hardest thing is seeing the finished product i want a model to look like in my head. So i keep painting until i think it suits the model.

Great work mech! And great inspirational talk. I think a lot of people (inc. Myself at times) get disheartened with how messy a model can look mid paint. Thats what i love about forums like this, you get to see the whole process with peoples wips and not just the finished article

I think my hardest thing is seeing the finished product i want a model to look like in my head. So i keep painting until i think it suits the model.

I know it's not uncommon, I've got a bunch of photos to sort out for the staff and I've been touching up the highlights (much the same with the sword) and I swear I've hit the same fine lines about a dozen times in places Highlighting up and then tidying up down the shades and back again.

The head's coming along really well! Don't get me started on messy paintjob -- my own messiness during painting is often enought to almost push me away from a model for good. Excellent work all around. Do carry on! :wink:

Thanks again, the head is now attached and It really helps to make the model look so close to finishing.

Having said that the staff was daunting as hell along with some stress and worry abut a second interview week before last (Not got back yet and said would be back in 4 days, the waiting is driving me up the wall). So I needed a chill out and a friend gave me a steam key at Christmas for ashes of Singularity so I've sunk a fair bit of available time into that.

I have set up a little painting space on my computer desk and have been doing a little bit at a time. Before starting I had the heavy metal Fateweaver up on my screen to get the ideas formed. I've got a few step by step pics which will be sorted out tomorrow and I've nearly finished the main bottom half of the staff so progress is now building.

One thing though is that I recently saw a tutorial on the 'eavier Metal Facebook group for a Wet pallet and

sml_gallery_88567_12165_18549.png

gave it a go, I tell you what I'm never going back it's amazing to use;

• solving the problem with paint drying out in the central heating,
  • really keeping paint usable for ages so I don't use half as much,
  • helps a lot with getting the right consistency and keeping it there,
  • since Stuff stays usable for ages I'm also able to have several colours on the go at once, any slight slips or wobbles and I can tidy up by just rinsing the brush and getting a dab of the next colour.

I would seriously be pulling my hair out without it and since it's just a Chinese takeaway carton, a few strips of Kitchen towel and then the only thing I brought specially was the 25m of Parchment paper for about

Awesome to see the LoC get some more paint on him. Wet palettes are also great. Without them I would have gone crazy trying to make a white color that worked for Sons of Malice. I was able to mix a light grey with white and not have to keep mixing the colors as the palette kept it from drying up.

Well I just finished the lower half of the staff so I knocked up a montage of the steps to get this far instead of lots of pics I give you one big one.

gallery_88567_13975_278628.png

Not 100% convinced the colour balance is perfect on the last on as I had a little play with Photoscape to try and get it better than the strait pic. Mostly this is the problem with taking a picture of such a small part of a greater whole. Still very confident I'll finish up today and will use drying times to post an update or two.