KBA, on 22 May 2016 - 8:42 PM, said:

Wow.

This thing will be legendary once you're done. Like, potentially Queen Bee legendary. Such an awesome Chaos Knight :smile.:

That's high praise indeed thank you, though I wouldn't go that far yet as I do have a history of not finishing things. till I have another work trip to Korea likely and there really isn't much to do of an evening so I should be able to take it along again and get more done and all progress no mater how small encourages further work.

I can't believe I've only just seen this. That Knight is a monster! Very cool work, brother! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Monster is very much what I am going for on this one. 

Just read the thread start to finish, and your knight will be Epic once completed, well done so far and looking forward to updates :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jono

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll do my best with updates though last nights greenstuff work wasn't really worthy of pictures as it was just bulking out the connection point between the Exhaust stacks and the body. Tonight should see the beginning of detail added so assuming Kids go to bed well I'll get cracking. 

just a minor update today. Got a bit carried away reading Outcast lost last night so only managed a small batch of greenstuff.med_gallery_88567_11374_369449.png

Beginning to bulk out the underlying "flesh", some of this and the piping will be visible through rents in the skin. I'm also using the Hellbrute as inspiration here and will be adding more flesh up the exhaust stacks as I build up multiple layers. I also removed some of the carapace to allow easier test fitting, I was careful so should be easy enough to put back as is but I'm tempted to blend it in the Stacks and have more bony ridges. Not decided yet. Mostly boild down to how carried away I get and how easy painting the torso sides will be with the carapace glued on.

Depending on how organised I am tonight there may be a more drastic update tomorrow, basically I need to get some stuff from the shelves in the bedroom our 1 year old sleeps in before his bed time.

That is looking very cool indeed! My advice would be to keep the carapace removable until after painting, if at all possible: You'll save yourself a lot of time by keeping the armour plates separate, as it will allow you to work with different undercoats and/or treat the "skeleton" and armour plates as separate painting projects, which I found really helpful. Then again, your heavily mutated Knight will probably have a less strict distinction between the two parts, so your mileage may vary ;)

Wow, man. It's been so fun to watch these new ideas spill in, and you're doing such a good implementing everything. I love the organic components, and the thought you're putting into everything. As everyone's saying, it really is shaping up to be quite a beast. 

Wow.

This thing will be legendary once you're done. Like, potentially Queen Bee legendary. Such an awesome Chaos Knight :smile.:

Legendary? Wow. Thanks for that! I agree that this project is special, in the same way K-Sci's Gilgamesh is special. All of our Knights share one thing in common, and that's a real sense of personality and a passion on the part of the builder to make it unique. I'm not saying we're the only ones, but something about the Knight kit just cries out for this kind of fanaticism. 

I would think Forgeworld Titans would be a better magnet for going over the top, but they're different. In the first place, Knights are expensive, not TOO expensive. They're accessible. For many collectors I bet they're the most expensive model they've gotten, but not so much so that you feel bad converting it. They're big, but they're not so big that you don't know where to start. And they're plastic, which makes working with them familiar, if not easy per se. Anyway, I'm pretty happy to see all the cool things people have done with their Knights. 

That is looking very cool indeed! My advice would be to keep the carapace removable until after painting, if at all possible: You'll save yourself a lot of time by keeping the armour plates separate, as it will allow you to work with different undercoats and/or treat the "skeleton" and armour plates as separate painting projects, which I found really helpful. Then again, your heavily mutated Knight will probably have a less strict distinction between the two parts, so your mileage may vary :wink:

The plan is to keep it separate as long as possible. Painting the sides of the body will be difficult around the Pauldron mounts with the carapace on. However if I go ahead with a considerable amount of sculpting work round the back and exhaust stacks it may be necessary though I'm currently considering ways to avoid that. 

Wow, man. It's been so fun to watch these new ideas spill in, and you're doing such a good implementing everything. I love the organic components, and the thought you're putting into everything. As everyone's saying, it really is shaping up to be quite a beast. 

Wow.

This thing will be legendary once you're done. Like, potentially Queen Bee legendary. Such an awesome Chaos Knight :smile.:

Legendary? Wow. Thanks for that! I agree that this project is special, in the same way K-Sci's Gilgamesh is special. All of our Knights share one thing in common, and that's a real sense of personality and a passion on the part of the builder to make it unique. I'm not saying we're the only ones, but something about the Knight kit just cries out for this kind of fanaticism. 

I would think Forgeworld Titans would be a better magnet for going over the top, but they're different. In the first place, Knights are expensive, not TOO expensive. They're accessible. For many collectors I bet they're the most expensive model they've gotten, but not so much so that you feel bad converting it. They're big, but they're not so big that you don't know where to start. And they're plastic, which makes working with them familiar, if not easy per se. Anyway, I'm pretty happy to see all the cool things people have done with their Knights. 

Thanks Jeff, I think your right, the extent you can play with a plastic kit is much greater than resin without some serous effort and experience. Not something you can leap strait into in the same way. The kit is also much more accessible since you can pic it up in basically any store, despite it being fairly easy to get forgeworld via mail order I still only own one kit despite tending to buy models fairly regularly, it just seems easier to grab something from a FLG or GW store.

• 4 weeks later...

So work has sent me back to Korea and the hours are not yet much beyond the standard 10 hours on site.

So I've had some evening time and hope to have a fair bit more.

Not long before heading out here I began on the next big stage, Having found the placement of the spine on the carapace I felt is ended oddly and perhaps a little close to the overhang.

so then this happened

med_gallery_88567_11374_391562.pngmed_gallery_88567_11374_374511.png

Since the Dino tail piece was to stiff to do what I wanted I managed to get a reasonable instant mould cast, this gave me something easier to work with than the tough hard and brittle plastic.

next up needed me to join it further down.

med_gallery_88567_11374_397918.png

Greenstuff can split quite easily (bit like bending a pencil rubber to far) so I did end up with a couple of breaks but a tiny blob of greenstuff at each one means I've got the angle right and it really looks like a continuation of the spine.

now over the last few nights and a couple before I've been roughing out the basic shape and will leave you today with the picture of tonight's work.

med_gallery_88567_11374_77269.png

I'm going for the hellbrute gills/vents as it should tie in nicely, there will be some overlap with the exhaust stacks and at the moment I'm gently working on the whole torso one little ball of greenstuff at a time.

Need to grab some combs from the supper market so I can make some cables, sadly I doubt I can get a cable maker out here but combs have worked for me in the past.

Comments always welcome and hopefully I can keep the updates coming over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Jeff.

I actually had the day off today so no dodging things like this on the way to the ship I'm working on.

med_gallery_88567_12165_215745.png

it's definitely impressive what they can achieve and move about, this part alone is huge.

and the level of precision they manage on such a huge scale leaves me flabbergasted some times

med_gallery_88567_12165_282565.png

Now I watched Deadpool on the plane over here and what happens when Cargo containers meet people in the film (and over large fast moving objects) keeps coming to mind whenever I have to go near something big being moved around by crane.

So today instead of being stuck in a roasting hot Control room, or traipsing round looking for computers stashed around the ship I made it into twon and picked up these.

med_gallery_88567_11374_210180.png

Perfect for the many cables I'm going to need.

Needless to say I've made up a little batch and have already begun to add them to the back and sides before having some dinner

med_gallery_88567_11374_476590.png

Tonight should see me me finish this stage ready to start adding the fleshy layer, I can even see myself finishing the part of the model in the coming week. Just depends on if I get stuck doing silly long days as we prepare for sea trials.

well, best laid plans and all that. Last night I was wiped out by a migraine and tonight still a bit left and feeling shattered from traipsing round a largish boat all day so finishing the work on the torso this week is unlikely as the boat goes to sea for 4 days come the weekend.

Still managed a little more to share

med_gallery_88567_11374_340843.png

Not a massive leap forward but due to greenstuff curing time this was a two stage process.

Basically I made some thin flat sections with a slight curve and then cut and fitted with small blobs of greenstuff. This will give me a solid base to ecorate to look like strands of bloody flesh linking the spine and body.

Next up is to texture these bits and the internal surfaces of the tear.

Once that's done I need to bulk out the vents a bit more to their final shape and it will be on with the flesh across the whole back and Vents.

After Flesh comes the layer of skin before building up any hairy parts.

so quite a few stages to go, a few of which cloud take three or so sittings.

Still optimistic about finishing the torso while in Korea but will depend on if we need to pull many late ones.

As always comments welcome.

I am really impressed with the work you've done so far on your Khorne knight. That spine looks amazing to say the least. It's given me some inspiration for when I make my Slaanesh knight. Beforehand, the most I was gonna do was make a blastermaster, a power scourge and wire up some leds. Now I'm thinking of doing more.

I am really impressed with the work you've done so far on your Khorne knight. That spine looks amazing to say the least. It's given me some inspiration for when I make my Slaanesh knight. Beforehand, the most I was gonna do was make a blastermaster, a power scourge and wire up some leds. Now I'm thinking of doing more.

Oh you just do basic stuff on something that size...go for it

Oh you just do basic stuff on something that size...go for it

@Andvarr lol

@Distroy - yup got the basics covered there, I've done LEDs once it's no simple task so looking forward to seeing that, glad I've inspired you and given ideas, the black ruin will be waiting some time for it's Slaneesh knight pondering a lancer if forgeworld release rules for more than just the basic kit. also really hoping for the slaneesh knights from epic as that would be awesome.

Looking really good! the comb idea is pretty smart. Greenstuff Industries and Tentacle maker sell some pretty inexpensive and easy to use kits if youre inclined.

I would have got one but timing for the Korea trip meant it not getting to me in time and out here I couldn't wait, needed to get my green stuff moving while I had a chance.

Thanks for all the great comments, I've not yet go off my arse to go in today and now probably wont bother as Sunday is optional at least while the EU laws apply....

So going to take some advantage of my freedom and chill out with some green stuff. 

so more work done, best part on an inch of greenstuff has just been used.

med_gallery_88567_11374_385544.png med_gallery_88567_11374_487982.png

As you can see the right had side has begun the first layer of detail to the fleshy bits with this stage all but complete within the wound.

both sides have been bulked out a bit around the cables and had hollows filled ready for detailing.

Next up maybe this evening I'll be moving onto the left hand side felshy bits and finishing the wound on that side if so expect an update soon.

Edited by Mechanist

so more work done, best part on an inch of greenstuff has just been used.

med_gallery_88567_11374_385544.pngmed_gallery_88567_11374_487982.png

As you can see the right had side has begun the first layer of detail to the fleshy bits with this stage all but complete within the wound.

both sides have been bulked out a bit around the cables and had hollows filled ready for detailing.

Next up maybe this evening I'll be moving onto the left hand side felshy bits and finishing the wound on that side if so expect an update soon.

I bow to your awesomeness ... what did you use to make the spine moulds?

Huh, you are really going above and beyond with the scultping on the Knight! The exhaust stacks are looking fantastic, and I just had to grin when I saw what you were going for wih the spine and the straps of meat clinging to it, you magnificent bastard, you ;)

But what I like more than anything else, possibly, is your dedication to working on this model: Taking it to Korea with you and working on it whenever there's time is so much cooler for us than just going "Huh, I'll be out for a while. Next update in six weeks." Kudos for that! :)

Why thank you.

I used this dino skeleton for the donor as I'ed already cut it up for the main spine

gallery_88567_11374_78151.png

Removing the hips the top of the tail made an excellent donor along with some of this.

Instant mould, great stuff for easy press moulds.

Insta-mould huh? Need to look that up in more detail. But the Dino stuff was a master stroke, that really has brought the monster out of the shadows

Huh, you are really going above and beyond with the scultping on the Knight! The exhaust stacks are looking fantastic, and I just had to grin when I saw what you were going for wih the spine and the straps of meat clinging to it, you magnificent bastard, you :wink:

But what I like more than anything else, possibly, is your dedication to working on this model: Taking it to Korea with you and working on it whenever there's time is so much cooler for us than just going "Huh, I'll be out for a while. Next update in six weeks." Kudos for that! :smile.:

I'm working on a grubby ship yard for 6 days a week minimum 10 hours a day. it's in a grubby town with nothing much to do, having this to do give me something beyond playing old megadrive games on my phone and helping my sanity. Especially with the madness back home.

I expect to be on a four day sea trial this week so I will have to down tools for a few days.

Thank you for the comments Kraut I started following your blog about 3 and a half years ago and am a massive fan so your support and comments is a great source of pride.

Insta-mould huh? Need to look that up in more detail. But the Dino stuff was a master stroke, that really has brought the monster out of the shadows 

it was a stroke of inspiration and I was lucky such a cool set of donors existed.

From a skilled magnificent bastard such as yourself kraut, that is putting it mildly! 

What he said.

Huh, you are really going above and beyond with the scultping on the Knight! The exhaust stacks are looking fantastic, and I just had to grin when I saw what you were going for wih the spine and the straps of meat clinging to it, you magnificent bastard, you :wink:

But what I like more than anything else, possibly, is your dedication to working on this model: Taking it to Korea with you and working on it whenever there's time is so much cooler for us than just going "Huh, I'll be out for a while. Next update in six weeks." Kudos for that! :smile.:

I'm working on a grubby ship yard for 6 days a week minimum 10 hours a day. it's in a grubby town with nothing much to do, having this to do give me something beyond playing old megadrive games on my phone and helping my sanity. Especially with the madness back home.

I expect to be on a four day sea trial this week so I will have to down tools for a few days.

Thank you for the comments Kraut I started following your blog about 3 and a half years ago and am a massive fan so your support and comments is a great source of pride.

Hah, just when I think I couldn't grow any more fond of you, you go and mention old MegaDrive games -- gah, the memories ;)

Hah, just when I think I couldn't grow any more fond of you, you go and mention old MegaDrive games -- gah, the memories ;)

Was a SNES fan but can fondly remember the good old days *sings Sega in kraut's ear*