• 1 month later...

So I made a bit of a judgement error...

Having avoided it for years myself my 5 YO started to show interest in minecraft and some of the Mobile games based on it. Since the mobile games are so limited I decided to get the full version for the kids to play with. Hopefully the redstone circuits will be a really nice intro to logic and other electrical learning.

Obviously minecraft is very successfully and to be fair for good reason it's definitely sucked me in as well.

Still while progress has slowed to a crawl I did manage to finish up the 3d printing bits for basing and get a bunch of photos taken and processed to share.

I now have a good selection of floating rocks and a couple of smoke stacks as well.

med_gallery_88567_13975_103980.jpg

This means I can just set the printer going in batches and they are really quick and easy to just glue them where I need them. The first lot didn't have smoke printed with them but was added later with green stuff, they also tened to be a bit on the big size.

So the plan for the second lot was smaller for better use on a 32mm base and to save me needing to add the smoke core.

There was also some iterative design as I tweaked the scale of various bits like this one.

gallery_88567_13975_68566.jpg

med_gallery_88567_13975_40329.jpg

Once glued in place it's now really simple to texture them up.

med_gallery_88567_13975_149692.jpg

Which when flocked and painted gives this

sml_gallery_88567_13975_11950.jpg sml_gallery_88567_13975_1442.jpg

By and large the 3d printing is working really well, I have plans to play with colours for the different gods, so the clouds will hopefully be using metallic greens under a black drybrush to make them look a bit like flies for Nurgle or pools of blood for Khorne,

Other features are the skeletons across the bases, as I mention before I quite happy with how they've all come out so here's a selection.

gallery_88567_13975_1866.jpg sml_gallery_88567_13975_7989.jpg sml_gallery_88567_13975_29250.jpg

Lastly is the WIP of my Fateskimmer. Unlike my Fluxmaster Who has one big eye this chap has no eyes and a whole head full of tentacles.

med_gallery_88567_13975_267544.jpg

Always nice to see you adding colors to minis. Your painting has gotten better and better and you are doing the Tzeentch daemons right with a whirlwind of color, their bases included. Speaking of which those bases are sweet. I want to go see if anyone has made some industrial bases I could use in place of the ones GW makes for some variety.

Always nice to see you adding colors to minis. Your painting has gotten better and better and you are doing the Tzeentch daemons right with a whirlwind of color, their bases included. Speaking of which those bases are sweet. I want to go see if anyone has made some industrial bases I could use in place of the ones GW makes for some variety.

Thank you. these days I try to use each army to test or develop something with my painting. So my Ork vehicles was all about streaking and faded paintwork along with freehand, My lack legion has been about playing with blacks. but on these guys it's all about a good finish quickly with contrast paints.

The other thing I've been working on is a rack to store my paints. I wanted to play with some revolving racking and some flexible parts.

med_gallery_88567_12165_55546.jpg med_gallery_88567_12165_83131.jpg

I've still got some bits to work out, mostly how to attach the paint rack arms to the belts. I had planned on just bolts but it's a little to flexible right now so need some reinforcements and I also need to print the base sections after tweaking them in the 3d model. (really need to stop playing minecraft for a week)

Still it's been an interesting project so far and once I've got it all sorted I'll get some more pictures.

I agree with hushrong - it's been a blast to see you progress in painting. Always cool to see someone get better and better. Also, the colours on the Tzeentch daemons are cool - but man do those colourful and weird bases do the miniatures justice as well. Awesome work. It's also cool to see that 3d printed paint rack ut really what's keeping you from using those trays GW produced. I bought into them and I have to say that they are really, really handy. They're an awesome hobby product by GW, and coming from me that's saying something.  

I agree with hushrong - it's been a blast to see you progress in painting. Always cool to see someone get better and better. Also, the colours on the Tzeentch daemons are cool - but man do those colourful and weird bases do the miniatures justice as well. Awesome work. It's also cool to see that 3d printed paint rack ut really what's keeping you from using those trays GW produced. I bought into them and I have to say that they are really, really handy. They're an awesome hobby product by GW, and coming from me that's saying something.  

Thanks man it's been alot of fun blasting through models with contrast and getting good bright results.

As for the paint rack, I just wanted to use my printer some more and push what I can do with it. it's been really cool learning to both improving my 3d work by combining Blender and Inventor and seeing what can be done on the printer. I did get carried away with the engineering challenge too and designing the belt system to see who the TUP works and prints is cool. just got a bit suck and a bit of designers block. I need to burn out my Minecraft addiction (which is slowly dying off for now) and then get cracking again on the flamers on my dining room table. 

• 5 months later...

So while I've been really bad at getting updates here I've not been quite as bad at actually painting stuff and the Minecraft obsession in now fading.

The paint rack remains un-finished as I work out how to support it but the individual arms are certainly useful for moving paints around and keeping colours together.

but as for painting and modelling a while back I shared this WIP conversion,

med_gallery_88567_13975_110671.jpg

Now I wasn't really happy with him because the cloak wasn't great and the whole composition was just to cluttered with difficulty getting a good 'golden angle' to look at. At some point though I realised the solution based on the other two heralds I have, one has a big eye for his body and the other has no eyes. Now that seemed to click that eyes are a big thing for Tzeentch so I ripped all the green stuff off him and started again, now he's all finished and looks like this.

med_gallery_88567_13975_52502.jpg med_gallery_88567_13975_56181.jpg

Which I hope you'll agree is much better.

As well as finishing up the Herald I also pulled myself together and stopped procrastinating on his comrade on burning chariot.

For some reason Screamers just seem realy intimidating to paint and feel like so much more work than they actually are.

med_gallery_88567_13975_65140.jpg

I've also been working on some non character models to fill out the force having completed a second unit of flamers.

med_gallery_88567_13975_43839.jpg

and another 10 pink horrors (only 5 of which I have a photo of) and 3 blue which brings the total completed army up to something like this.

med_gallery_88567_13975_99633.jpeg

And to prove the horrors on the left have there bases done they look like this.

med_gallery_88567_13975_44649.jpeg

Now after this for Tzeentch I don't own that many more models, I have 10 more Pink and 10 more blue horrors which both have their pink and blue painted along with a bit of gold basecoating done and then its just 6 screamers.

After that I have an old metal lord of change which has been stripped and dismantled to become a Deamon prince and I also want to scratch build an exulted flamer as I have spare arms and flames from the one on the burning chariot.

Now on a personal level I've started a new job near Bridlington last week, this means for the short term being away from home during the week while we work out relocating from Derbyshire. So in an attempt to get some hobby stuff thats been sat around for ages done I've actualy brought my part painted Deathmarks, Necron lord and the Gorka/Morkanaught with me. In the evenings this week I've been painting the Deathmarks and I'll see what I can get done before Christmas. The goal is however to clear out some of my WIP painting so that it's presence isn't so distracting.

And yes that means I'll be getting the greenstuff out again on the knight as I want to get it to the paint where there is only the arms left on the next push.

So wish me luck.

• 5 months later...

As mentioned I started a new role and I did manage a few bits on the Gorkanaught when staying at holiday places over the winter.

I now have a small place I use for work and Last week I had a good dig around and brought some projects up to work on during the evenings.

I also seem to be getting past my Minecraft obsession and we'll see how that lasts as the new update is due soon.

However until then I've had paint brushes out and and preceded to actually paint the Gorkanaught's gun.

med_gallery_88567_15847_77512.jpg

Having finished one of the largest remaining pieces I've been playing with modern ways to paint boys on the pilot and gunner, while the gunner still needs his arms and head I did get the faceplate finished.

med_gallery_88567_15847_18883.jpg

Edited by Mechanist

• 1 month later...

So the other day I was in an actual GW and the neeed to buy something kicked in and after I've resisted since it's release I picked up one of these.

med_gallery_88567_12035_119815.jpg

The plan is to do some swapping between this and one of my (5 other) unbuilt knights to work on a pair together.

one of the things that has been holding me back with the knights is inspiration on how to tackle to pilot, I have a box of mechanicus skitarii and Electro-Priests but I've really struggled with starting on the chair.

But a few attempts at searching for STL's and I've now printed a pair of these

sml_gallery_88567_12035_27097.jpg

I had a hobby chat online with a friend a few times this last couple of weeks but have often felt my eyes are a bit tired for detail work and clipping bits off sprues and cleaning them up has been a lot easier to approach. Along side this I've also done some simple press moulding and other bits.

Right now this little lot is on my desk

med_gallery_88567_12035_50719.jpg

Oh and for those who are a fan of this fellow

med_gallery_88567_11374_103987.jpg

I have some news on the way probably my next posts, exciting times ahead.

Nice work on the Gorkanaut! I really like that colour scheme you did for him!

Thank you it's coming along really well though I'd already trailed it on a killer kan, I think I mentioned on your thread that I've a dakka jet that I'd love to update but that's a big old repaint job.

gallery_88567_15847_16093.jpg

You made impressive efforts in customizing the model. The horns inevitably remind me of Death Knights from the Overlord novels/manga/anime.

Thank you it's been a long time in the making.

However after looking over the legs and Appling a small amount of extra green stuff just to tidy up the details I went and added the chains which marks the completion of the main body and it's now ready for paint.

med_gallery_88567_11374_202498.jpg med_gallery_88567_11374_155388.jpg

med_gallery_88567_11374_45982.jpg

So with this section done I'm going to revisit the top carapace and add a little more detail to that so it matches the later work down the back.

Then that just leaves the arms to do. My gut says the Fist will be easiest and I'll probably look at that while working on the two other knights. Then the chainsword needs quite a bit of work and I'm not sure how long that'll take but at least I'll be painting the rest and that'll inspire me to keep up the work.

Well paint was officially applied to the knight body and I've done some updates to the main carapace. Tonight I'm going to be doing the last layers of greenstuff to that meaning I should be able to spray it this week. I've also managed some more work on the pilots for the two other knights. I'll look at them again this evening and I have some photos I'll sort through at lunchtime and get posted up of that work. 

In some bad news I seem to have miss placed 2 of the daemon knight armour plates, one of the shin guards and the crotch section. wish me luck finding them because it's certainly taken the wind out of my sails a little.

So as promised some picture of the two other knights in progress.

The first of my assembly evenings was also spent considering basing, I've alwayes tried to theme an armies bases around a basic brown dirt and grass with the addition of a feature unique to that army.

I shared this process with my Tzeentch daemons using the floating rocks and fire, my black legion all have broken imperial ruins and my orks all have scrapyard junk.

I knew from my Daemon knight that it would be towering over a fallen Wraithknight head in hand ready to throw so I needed to dig around my bits to find some options.

This turned up a bunch of old metal models a friend had passed to me as he no longer played.

med_gallery_88567_12035_163364.jpg

Among this is a lead wraithlord but I decided it would be easier to work with greenstuff than the metal parts (or in this case a mix of greenstuff and milliput) so some instant moulding later and a day to let the greenstuff fully cure allowed me to do this.

med_gallery_88567_12035_44974.jpg

and the splatted wraithlord makes a good base don't you think? It definitely makes me chuckle to look at.

While the curing was happening I also worked on converting the 3d printed cockpit over to the forces of chaos and building a pilot for it.

med_gallery_88567_12035_187134.jpg med_gallery_88567_12035_27812.jpg

Again press moulding details has saved me the effort of starting from scratch and since these pictures where taken I've carried out at least two clean up passes. But for a demonstration of the concept it working out very well. I still need to work of the pilot's lap as the greenstuff is still little to untidy and I;ve also been adding skulls and chaos details.

I plan to do some more tonight and I think after posting this I'll bug my mate about another hobby session over messenger.

As usual comments and suggestions welcome.

The pilot looks like he's fusing to his seat. Maybe carve muscle fibers into the green stuff on his lap, to show how the Chaos Gods "blessed" him in this manner?

That's a good idea. I'll look at that this evening. If not this guy then someone in the future is getting that treatment.

In other new I found the missing bits so it's all steam ahead.

With the bit's found on Tuesday I got the spray can out and finished the undercoating of all the (at the time) complete bits.

med_gallery_88567_11374_174995.jpg

Then while watching the rest of Loki I sat down and applied the last greenstuff layers to the top carapace section having added a bit more detail over the last few days.

No really major changes just the addition of some more sinew and muscle for a little but more depth and also some flaps of flesh and raggedness around the edges, both detailes I've got a lot better at doing since I last touched the carapace.

med_gallery_88567_11374_99546.jpg

Some spray was applied last night and I'll be getting the can out again tonight to finish it up.

Last night I also spent some time working on the Knight paladin pauldrons with some chaos stars and the start of an Eye of Horus. Along with this I dug out some reference images and projects from others to help inspire me. Obviously the fist port of call is KrautScientist (come back we miss you) to help with the interior and filling out the engine bay. I also revisited Pandora's Bitz Box and their amazing Khornate knight and I've just discovered from their blog that they are working on a nurgle knight (have I missed something in another part of the forum?)
So with a good helping of inspiration I think I should be able to roll along nicely on the other two knights and be able to have some more updates next week.

Great stuff man. I love what you're doing to the knight and especially to its carapace!

Thank you.

I went back over some of my earlier post from the beginning of the this plog and it's bee quite a journey getting here over the last 5 and half years.

Thank you.

I went back over some of my earlier post from the beginning of the this plog and it's bee quite a journey getting here over the last 5 and half years.

It's cool to see your progress - although your work has always been original and inspired/inspiring. I remember that dinosaur skeleton (I want to say a Triceratops or Protoceratops?) you broke apart for bits. Fricking brilliant.

It's cool to see your progress - although your work has always been original and inspired/inspiring. I remember that dinosaur skeleton (I want to say a Triceratops or Protoceratops?) you broke apart for bits. Fricking brilliant.

Yup the as I moved onto the back it got more crazy. I had a lot of time out of the country with few distraction back then. I've now changed job 5 times since and completed 90% of my masters degree not withstanding Dad of 2.

I've also had a lot of great input and that helped a lot especially in the earlier stages.

Good news is the carapace has been sprayed I'll try and photo it in the morning.

Then I'll have to see if I'm in the mood for painting or sculpting.

Probably take sculpting stuff with me on holiday next week as it's less to pack (be sure not to forget the green stuff this time)

• 3 weeks later...

Loving the khore knight, i was tempted to use that head, but thought it was to big.... you proved me wrong, look fo0rward to seeing more!

Thank you.

I think the head is very much dependent on what you want. If it's the whole knight as a beast like this where the demon and knight are one then that's why it works.

It's very much and all of nothing option otherwise it's definitely to big and would unbalance the model.

so I have hobby night lined up for this evening and the rest of my family is away visiting the in-laws so I have space to spread out.

So the big question is paint brush on the beast or sculpting on the other two?

let me know what you'd like to see